As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I liked Elysium more than hades because hades was so terribly drab.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I gave up just a little bit into Hades, but at that point it was the end of my second playthrough with 234 hours played total so maybe I was just done with AC Odyssey.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Aistan wrote: »
    Those of you hate-playing through the story i'm very curious what the reaction to the ending will be.

Haven't finished yet, but spoilers for after the return to Norway...
    I thought the way that Basim returned to life was the straight up ridiculous bullshit I was hoping for...but then five seconds later he's chilling in a wolf t-shirt, Layla is obviously dead...so Rebecca and Shaun decide to go run errands, while this obviously sketchy dude who's been dead for thousands of years uses the animus? What? Who wrote this? Am I insane?

Maximum on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I just kind of zone out during the Layla parts, the “outside the animus” stuff that happened in Odyssey felt uninspired, that part doesnt seem to have improved in Valhalla.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Those of you hate-playing through the story i'm very curious what the reaction to the ending will be.

I thought the way that Basim returned to life was the straight up ridiculous bullshit I was hoping for...but then five seconds later he's chilling in a wolf t-shirt, Layla is obviously dead...so Rebecca and Shaun decide to go run errands, while this obviously sketchy dude who's been dead for thousands of years uses the animus? What? Who wrote this? Am I insane?

Isn't that the actual ending? AFAIK there's nothing left after this.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah this feels big "will be resolved in DLC" if only because

Basim is voiced by a real actor I doubt they want to keep paying to be the voice of the main character going forward even if its for like 50 lines maybe.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

I haven't done Hamtunscire yet, which I'm assuming is the end for now? At 100+ hours it better be.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I haven't done Hamtunscire yet, which I'm assuming is the end for now? At 100+ hours it better be.

Oh you poor poor thing...

• Options

Oh I'm sorry. I should have realized that from context.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I completed it a while ago, but I hate-played to the end, and holy FUCK that ending stunk.

I'm lucky enough to have completed all the dream-quest missions, because otherwise that ending would be completely unreadable. Even as it is, it's not even internally consistent.

In order to progress the story, you have to defeat Odin in your mind, basically kick him out. Then Loki via Basim decides it's time for a fight, to get... what, vengeance? And thick-headed Eivor has no clue WTF is going on, doesn't ever put two and two together and explain things, just gets completely and utterly duped. A real terrible example of Just Talk. And then when Basim swaps out for Layla, he goes and gloats over Eivor's bones, which feels like crazy bad taste. You're now playing the bad guy and your one protagonist is trapped and you're gloating over the death of the other? How did they _think_ this was going to go over with people?

Odyssey was my favourite AC yet, and this one left such a bad taste in my mouth that I'm not even interesting in what they come up with next. It could be Black Flag 2 (GOD I miss sailing a big ship) and I'd still give it a miss.

• Options
    All achievements done except for killing the entire order because Ubisoft fucked that one up in their latest patch...

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    cross postin' this here as well because it's neat
    This is a pretty cool ARG thing for a very well hidden piece of gear
    (spoilers for some key items in Valhalla)
    so many steps

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Spent more time designing that ARG than the story in the game lol.

... I do love a good ARG though.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Hmmm, so in Origins I get a quest to race some chariot. As soon as I get on, a ton of random folks are just walking around on the track and I end up killing one, which leads to 4 guards near by just attacking everyone. This is the 3rd time I've killed someone on a mount as they are everywhere. Do they learn for future games and make folks invincible on mount?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Hmmm, so in Origins I get a quest to race some chariot. As soon as I get on, a ton of random folks are just walking around on the track and I end up killing one, which leads to 4 guards near by just attacking everyone. This is the 3rd time I've killed someone on a mount as they are everywhere. Do they learn for future games and make folks invincible on mount?

Every time I drove a wagon in Origins I left appalling carnage in my wake; not on purpose but just because I'd turn a corner and accidentally run down about half a dozen people when I swung a bit wide. I don't recall Odyssey being quite so bad, but I also don't remember regularly driving a vehicle in Odyssey -- just the horse.

• Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular

So other than
    Basim becoming player controlled
    I saw most of that ending coming. I had fun with it, but I agree with others there are some consistency / writing issues here. And now with only Hamtunscire left, and it's
    obvious the Father is Aelfred, and he's going to found the Templars,
    I think I'm done playing. I'll leave the last zone for later, if I feel like doing some more stuff. It's time to get lost in another game instead.

I know there is still more story for Eivor, but eh, the big story beats are resolved as far as I know, and if you know history
    I expect them to lose to Aelfred.

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
    You'd think there's more story for Eivor but there is not.
    It is such a weird game in that the plot/story ends about 10 hours before the game actually ends.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Koldanar wrote: »

So other than
    I saw most of that ending coming. I had fun with it, but I agree with others there are some consistency / writing issues here. And now with only Hamtunscire left, and it's
    I think I'm done playing. I'll leave the last zone for later, if I feel like doing some more stuff. It's time to get lost in another game instead.

I know there is still more story for Eivor, but eh, the big story beats are resolved as far as I know, and if you know history

Your assumptions are wrong.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Koldanar wrote: »

So other than

Your assumptions are wrong.

And yet it changes nothing, really.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I got to the last area last night with the big story stuff happening. Also, I got the good ending despite
    punching Basim and sending Ivarr and Dag to hell. Doing the reading, Ivarr doesn't enter into it, but Dag, Basim and also contradicting Sigurd's crazy 30 sails judgement should have made him stay behind in England - which he did not. He came back to Norway and broke up with Randvi.

Disappointed overall with the story and I realized Basim was Loki halfway through when the Basim actor did a line for Basim in Loki's voice. Felt like the people who got the most time with the PC were a pack of shits that we were helpless to do anything about. You know from the get go that Ivarr would be best off dead for everyone, but you just get to watch that train wreck happen. Similarly, there are instances where you get to sit there and watch a cinematic instead of popping someone with an arrow and saving them. One sequence that really annoyed me was during Wincestre I think, where two poor peasants are going to get their heads lopped off. I came up on the town square and as I pull my bow out, it goes into a cinematic to show the poor dude get beheaded. The cinematic ends and boom one shot headshot on the order dumbass from across the square. I could have easily saved that poor dude but nope. Maybe male Eivor's voice acting saves it, but female Eivor is just endless, emotionless droning. A complete about face from Kassandra, the best voiced character in my recent memory.

They should have made the main story only require half of England and the other half is optional side content, or post win cleanup - the game just dragged on and on and on. Asgard and Jotunheim were both pretty lacklustre. The final Fenrir boss fight was buggy and not really a challenge.

Sigurd sort of snapping back to it post Isu vault was at least nice, because he was a complete loss as a character from start until that point. Eivor though is the worst sibling, "Hey, gonna replace you as leader and then scoop your lady, brah!

Grabbed Mjolnir and Excalibur post win, I really miss the armor variations, transmog and combat of Odyssey.

Also, it's never really a surprise when someone is a member of the order, because the game lets you see them ahead of time.

Nosf on
  • Options
    I didn't even know there was a bad ending, what are the variants?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Nosf wrote: »
    I got to the last area last night with the big story stuff happening. Also, I got the good ending despite
    punching Basim and sending Ivarr and Dag to hell. Doing the reading, Ivarr doesn't enter into it, but Dag, Basim and also contradicting Sigurd's crazy 30 sails judgement should have made him stay behind in England - which he did not. He came back to Norway and broke up with Randvi.

Disappointed overall with the story and I realized Basim was Loki halfway through when the Basim actor did a line for Basim in Loki's voice. Felt like the people who got the most time with the PC were a pack of shits that we were helpless to do anything about. You know from the get go that Ivarr would be best off dead for everyone, but you just get to watch that train wreck happen. Similarly, there are instances where you get to sit there and watch a cinematic instead of popping someone with an arrow and saving them. One sequence that really annoyed me was during Wincestre I think, where two poor peasants are going to get their heads lopped off. I came up on the town square and as I pull my bow out, it goes into a cinematic to show the poor dude get beheaded. The cinematic ends and boom one shot headshot on the order dumbass from across the square. I could have easily saved that poor dude but nope. Maybe male Eivor's voice acting saves it, but female Eivor is just endless, emotionless droning. A complete about face from Kassandra, the best voiced character in my recent memory.

They should have made the main story only require half of England and the other half is optional side content, or post win cleanup - the game just dragged on and on and on. Asgard and Jotunheim were both pretty lacklustre. The final Fenrir boss fight was buggy and not really a challenge.

Sigurd sort of snapping back to it post Isu vault was at least nice, because he was a complete loss as a character from start until that point. Eivor though is the worst sibling, "Hey, gonna replace you as leader and then scoop your lady, brah!

Grabbed Mjolnir and Excalibur post win, I really miss the armor variations, transmog and combat of Odyssey.

Also, it's never really a surprise when someone is a member of the order, because the game lets you see them ahead of time.
    You may want to go back to Hyrdafjylke or whatever its called and pick up a new little something near the entrance to that place where Layla is now stuck.
    Preacher wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was a bad ending, what are the variants?
    Just whether Sigurd stays or go back to Norway at the end iirc.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Its funny but its kind of hard to gauge which of those two would be the bad ending.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Wow.

That sure was something.

I gotta say, that was a first for me.

I actually looked up online to see what the heck I was supposed to do next.... only to learn I had already beaten the game I just didn't know it.

I literally had to look up on the internet if I had beaten the game...

• Options
    Wow.

That sure was something.

I actually looked up online to see what the heck I was supposed to do next.... only to learn I had already beaten the game I just didn't know it.

Yeah even as someone who enjoyed a lot of the way the game played out, the ending is one of the worst ones I've seen in a major game. Like its pretty much "Wait for DLC to make this ending work better." Because as it stands right now, it doesn't at all.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Is it possible the dismissal of the director fucked it up?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I just started last night, did not update at all. Version 1.0 baby!

Ran into a few minor bugs, such as the swimming buttons still showing up on occasion after I left the water

And a few things i’m not sure are bugs or just content I haven’t unlocked yet
    -On the first island there is a chest that appears to be underground or possibly underwater in a frozen pond I assume I will eventually get a way to break the ice? I went looking for a tunnel from the sea but couldn’t find one
    -On the boat when I request a song they just ignore me. Are songs an exploration item or something?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    You can break the ice from the get go, just take a swing at it.
    Tell a Story/Sing a Song is hitchy sometimes, especially if it gets interrupted by "LOOK! A BEACH WE'VE ALREADY RAIDED BUT I'LL TELL YOU GAIN!"

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Is it possible the dismissal of the director fucked it up?

Doubtful. That was way too late to have had impacts on the story.
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wow.

That sure was something.

Yeah even as someone who enjoyed a lot of the way the game played out, the ending is one of the worst ones I've seen in a major game. Like its pretty much "Wait for DLC to make this ending work better." Because as it stands right now, it doesn't at all.

Yea my general feelings were:

Strong start! Cool systems!

Then as things moved towards the middle everything started floundering a bit. The seams to the individual stories started making each one feel the same as the last. Felt like the story wasn't moving forward. Felt like the character build and gear stuff wasn't moving forward.

Seriously gear wise you get you gear maxed out in the superior faze way too fast and easily. And then it is stuck there unchanging for like half the game while you wait to get to the last zones where you can finally interact with the system again and then finish it up forever. And then, while it took longer than the last games, around the middle is when you stop getting new actual skills from the skill tree and it moves on to just stats. Where you can also start seeing that if you are doing any amount of side stuff you will be running out of those too. It was a huge mistake to lock the mastery spots behind filling out the whole thing. That just seems so backwards when the strongest enemies are scaling on your power level. Just really poorly thought out.

And then late game the story started to pick back up again once it got past the parts that were self contained. So that was cool. And then... well and then the "end" happened haha.

• Options
    I made it to England and had to take a break because I was immediately struck with the feeling I always get in AC games when you leave the “starter” area: the world has opened up and I suddenly have so many things to do i get decision paralysis.

One thing I noticed early on in the first area though is just how bare-bones a lot of the “world events” really are.

Witcher 3 did side content so much better 5 years prior. It’s a bit disappointing.

I’m also a bit lost in the modern stuff because I skipped the Egypt and Greece games. But in my experience the modern storyline was always such a mess I kind of doubt it would make much more sense even if I had played those games.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I made it to England and had to take a break because I was immediately struck with the feeling I always get in AC games when you leave the “starter” area: the world has opened up and I suddenly have so many things to do i get decision paralysis.

One thing I noticed early on in the first area though is just how bare-bones a lot of the “world events” really are.

Witcher 3 did side content so much better 5 years prior. It’s a bit disappointing.

I’m also a bit lost in the modern stuff because I skipped the Egypt and Greece games. But in my experience the modern storyline was always such a mess I kind of doubt it would make much more sense even if I had played those games.

You aren't really missing much, the majority of the story happens in this game even for the modern story line, shit you are better caught up if you played AC 3.

Ubisoft always has barebone world events. I actually kind of liked how short/local the world events were in this, made them easier to check off.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I’m also playing in “pathfinder” exploration mode since that seemed the most intriguing when I was setting up my game. I’m not sure exactly what it all does but right now I have a map of the first area that despite visiting a lot of places remains delightfully uncluttered with the forty billion icons Ubisoft likes to put everywhere

Also I’m not going to do any online bullshit because fuck dealing with their proprietary online service. Kind of shameless on their part to have the online store displayed so prominently in the menu as well. But I only turn on the internet to my console when I want to download an update and then off it goes again.

• Options
    The online features in this when I played it were mostly broken. Hell just trying to look at peoples screenshots would like knock me off their service.

The store was a none entity.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The icon issue in this is a little better than other AC games. I don't know that they're measurably less in number but since they're just gold, teal, or white dots until you actually start them they don't make me anxious when I open up the map.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    The icon issue in this is a little better than other AC games. I don't know that they're measurably less in number but since they're just gold, teal, or white dots until you actually start them they don't make me anxious when I open up the map.

Yeah Odyssey was the worst for this (although I liked the game a bit more).

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Wrapped upthe Grantebridgehamwoldingtonscire quest line

Decided to go check out the one remaining mystery, in the swamp near the Ely Monastery
    Oh shit a witch

knitdan on
  • Options
    Only tangentially related but I also finished Gears 5 this weekend and it didn't have an ending either!
    Now I'm wondering if 2020 was just the year of big AAA titles that have no conclusion to their stories.

• Options
    Eh gears 5 had an ending, as much as the gears games ever have an ending. That shit is always war war never changes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jesus you all weren’t kidding about how long this game is.

Granted I’ve been exploring regions pretty thoroughly while I’m in them for main quest stuff and banging out side quests as i work though the main quest lines

But

I just got done bringing my 3rd area into the fold and my save file is sitting at just over 60 hours

• Options
    They started to hide time played on Xbox, but I was up over 100 hours easily to finish this. Near the end I was just head down, plowing through areas and denying shitheels Valhalla.