As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Mild spoilers
    I always went institute just because it was the only scenario that plausibly led to synths surviving (the other options are quick genocide with the Brotherhood vs slow genocide with the Railroad or Minutemen). And also it seemed to be the only option that in the long run could lead to an actual modernish society developing in the Commonwealth by saving the nuclear power plant as opposed to everyone being subsistence farmers and scavengers living in rusted out boxcars.

Jealous Deva on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The only real reason to favor two factions over the other (other than personal preference) is the different perks they give you. Ace Operator and Pack Alpha are pretty cool, while Chosen Disciple is not.

Alternately, do the moral thing and slaughter them all.

WhiteZinfandel on
    I think he meant base game, if he meant nuka world, yeah just kill all those bastards and let the minutemen take over the settlement area.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    In Nuka World if you haven't shut down her idea of it yet talk to the doctor in the market to start the quest to kill all the raiders. I think maybe Preston might give it too but why would you talk to that guy.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    In Nuka World if you haven't shut down her idea of it yet talk to the doctor in the market to start the quest to kill all the raiders. I think maybe Preston might give it too but why would you talk to that guy.

To see if there's a settlement that needs your help (he'll mark it on your map).

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    So, playing Fallout 4 and have now beat all of the DLC. I saved Nuka World for last, but realize that I haven't actually picked a final faction and finished the game. I kind of don't want to finish. I don't really like any of the options.

Any reason to pick a side in the final battle(s) and finish?

The Minutemen ending gave me a chuckle.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Apparently a Quality of life patch separating out Armor from Apparel, and Food from Chems is coming? May start to play again in earnest.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Apparently a Quality of life patch separating out Armor from Apparel, and Food from Chems is coming? May start to play again in earnest.

FO76? They are also increasing stash space from 800 to 1200

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/1jsHzIiTcouzvdxbo2wgYA/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-season-3-and-quality-of-life-update-previews

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    In Nuka World, you can wipe out the raiders and give back control to the merchants. Still allows you to do the quests to power up the place too.

Cuts out most of the other Nuka world quest content though since its geared towards raiders.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    Yeah, turning on the raiders was a blast. I think I decided to just stop playing since I now can't really get the minutemen ending.

Why not? I thought at pretty much any point you could just shoot someone in the institute and be good to go for minutemen.

Even if Preston is hostile that doesn’t lock you out per se (though you may want to leave him alone for a week or two to let aggro clear so he doesn’t shoot you on sight).

• Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    Ohh, thanks @Jealous Deva. I assumed pissing off Preston locked that out. Ok, time to shoot some robbits.

Yeah, he should go non-hostile and let you talk to him again when you get kicked out of the institute and get to the point where you would normally start the ending. Sometimes it takes a while or bugs out though, resting inside in a different cell for a few days may help if he is still shooting at you.

He won’t join your party but he should still let you do the quest.

• ArieArie Master Registered User new member
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I have a shit ton of stuff to sell but noone to sell it to, I have no idea where we are supposed to get hundreds of thousands caps to pay for all these plans if many vendors have linked caps stashes and only carry a paltry amount of 200 each.
    Grind, grind, grind. Study the inventory refresh interval. Grind some more.

Just a heads up for anyone who loves Fallout New Vegas, theres a huuuuuge new mod coming out for it in the next few days thats been in the work for years called "The Frontier".

Complete with its own steam page and installation:

https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1356060/

Theres been a lot of DLC sized mods for Fallout games in the past but this seems like it might end up being quite abit bigger than that if it lives up to the hype.

https://youtu.be/Z-hTtRXjJnU

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    On the one hand, neat, the pacific northwest will be explored.

On the other hand, it self-describes with "an expanded view of the Legion" and y'know, I'm too old and way over any sort of edgy attempt to legitimize a faction that pretty openly rapes people.

edited January 2021
    Henroid wrote: »
    On the one hand, neat, the pacific northwest will be explored.

On the other hand, it self-describes with "an expanded view of the Legion" and y'know, I'm too old and way over any sort of edgy attempt to legitimize a faction that pretty openly rapes people.
    I don't think they're going back on that. Just saying that there will be more of their politics and possibly subterfuge on display rather than just them being barbarians with slaves.

But we'll see.

Dr. Chaos on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The Legion was always meant as the "ruthless but efficient," faction that was supposed to be, in essence, the next step in Raider society beyond just strapping on football padding and swinging machetes to get food. But at their core, they still are, just with more excuses. They're still supposed to be the baddies.

That said, other mods like the Bounty series have explored that perhaps some parts of the Legion are more adaptable than JUST being Caesar's personal lackies. And usually they have to be killed preciously because they are adaptable.

edited January 2021
    When NV came out I felt like they were too much like cartoon villians and weren’t realistic. Since then the world pretty much proved me wrong (with ISIS, etc, but also with the crazy cults of personalities that have become the thing lately in so many countries).

So yeah I am sure if you had some kind of societal collapse you’d get the Legion or something like it, and it would be dangerous as hell.

I was also skeptical that something like the Legion would openly attract fanatics like Ulysses and pre-burning man Joshua Graham who didn’t seem to have much overlap in goals other than being ends justify the means types, but I was wrong on that one too. 10 years later the Legion was prophetic.

Jealous Deva on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Wow, holy shit this mod is amazing. It's basically a brand new Fallout game.
    It's staggering just how much these guys did with New Vegas, can't wait to explore this new setting... I just need to clean up my mod collection, it's all getting a bit jumbled.
    clhtoz0wwsgx.jpg

DanHibiki on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    No.

Dear god no.

I can't go back again.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh goddamn that image hahahaha

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

FO76? They are also increasing stash space from 800 to 1200

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/1jsHzIiTcouzvdxbo2wgYA/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-season-3-and-quality-of-life-update-previews

Dear god like mana from heaven

Holy crap, finished Chapter 1 of The Frontier and I feel like i've killed more Legionnaires than I ever did playing New Vegas. I was not expecting so much action from just the opening and it really does a good job of establishing that fellow NCR troops are every bit as good if not better than you, where previous games made your allies feel like not much more than fodder.

Love the new armor on the Legion, the sword and shield combo makes them look like something out of Knights of the Old Republic. Looking forward to finding all the cool new gear.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The engine upgrades mean there can be way more enemies and way more complex scripting for the game than at launch. But it's great to see none the less.

I think there's an engine bug that fails to unload assets when going to a cutscene which causes things to slow down a lot. A restart seems to fix it, a bit annoying but the fact that it's on a decade old engine it's to be expected.
    Otherwise it seems to be pretty stable with tons of enemies on screen.

There's a loooooooooot of drama coming up with The Frontier, to the point that it's been delisted from Nexus and it's unclear if its Steam release will actually happen.

The tl;dr is one of the people that worked on it had a bunch of pedo stuff going on (not in the mod) and there's rapid action to disassociate with them. Removing their content from the mod and such. But also people who contributed to the mod effort are asking their stuff to be taken out because they don't want to be associated with it anymore in light of that news hitting.

So y'know.

Conduct background checks on the people you plan to work with, y'all.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Oh for fuck's sake.

I don't know how big their mod team is but that sucks. I've seen a lot of large mods get destroyed by internal conflict but hoo boy pedo stuff takes the cake.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    the fallout miami devs also mentioned some of the content in the mod toed that particular line a little too closely, to the point that the problem was very likely not just about that particular dev

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Oh man finally special loadouts coming in fallout 76. So you can switch between crafting and combat loadouts quickly

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Oh man finally special loadouts coming in fallout 76. So you can switch between crafting and combat loadouts quickly

That's the last big QoL thing I can remember waiting for.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I've been super getting back in to 76 lately. They've mostly paved over a lot of my initial complaints and the draw of scavenging and light survival in a Fallout world is strong for me. Found my first power armor frame yesterday, at around level 24. No plates or power sources yet, but hey, it's a start. Still on the struggle bus to find enough lead to keep myself ammoed up, but player vendor's help for a nice spot buy if I'm running super low.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Prohass wrote: »

That's the last big QoL thing I can remember waiting for.

Oh wait, I forgot being able to use KBAM while a gamepad is plugged in.

Got my excavator armor and made a run through Lucky Hole Mine. Lead is no longer a problem I'll have for a little bit.

What are people's favorite power armor weapons? Right now I have a bloodied .50 cal that works, but it burns through ammo so fast. I probably need to invest some perk points in to strength and Heavy Gunner once I get Ammosmith and Tank Killer maxed out. I normally just run around in normal armor with an AR, so I have a lot of points/cards invested in automatic rifle damage. Figure I'll invest some in to heavy weapons as well just so when I do throw on PA, like to farm lead, I'll not have to burn through so much ammo to defend myself.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Gatling guns can be a good choice. Slower ROF and higher damage means much better ammo conservation. I used one on my power armor guy for the longest time and only brought out the M2 for special occasions.

I'll look in to a gatling gun.

It's always a bit feel bad to go in to Lucky Hole to mine lead and burn through 100+ lead in .50 cal ammo to clear the place out hehe.

Finally got to level 34 (and now 35) and got Ammosmith to two stars...man, so much more ammo. I'm now spending less of my playtime scrounging for the parts to build ammo so I can actually play other parts of the game.

• JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the US got this at the end of last year, but PlayStationNZ have just put up the personalised Playstation 2020 Wrap Up.

Here's a fun stat from mine:

fdb0ubkn7t0s.png

0ijlzpptari2.png
    edited February 2021
    Up to level 45. Started building in to Master Commando. My new resource squeeze is ballistic fiber because until recently I didn't know about the White Knight perk, so I've been burning through mats keeping my armor repaired. Going to be a few more levels before I can reach in and grab White Knight because I have some other plans for the my next five levels, but hopefully I'll snatch one out of a card pack. Otherwise I'll pick up White Knight ASAP and be running that as part of my standard combat load out.

Really excited for the new SPECIAL loadout feature. I'm already to the point where I'm swapping cards in and out every time I'm in CAMP crafting. Being able to do it with one button will be nice.

GnomeTank on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    There's a mod to do it now if you're PC.