As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

• Peas wrote: »
    I don't have the ability to do like 99% of the prompts

Neither do I-part of the reason I made this was to force me to try things I'd like to be able to do, but don't yet have the ability to do. (While also trying to cure the paralysis of having SO MANY THINGS I'd like to do but don't have the ability for, that I end up using up all my energy agonizing over trying to decide what to do instead of just doing something, anything- ie: actually using my time productively.)

So I wouldn't necessarily let lack of ability hold you back from trying. Though I'd encourage you to crack open the html in notepad or whatever and make it serve your own needs- if you don't think drawing like Norman Rockwell is something you'd ever want to actually do, might as well get rid of him from the array. Not interested in 3D Environments? Replace it with an exercise you do think would have value for you.

Maybe sometime I could add some more stuff to this myself that's more fundamentals exercises if people think that would be helpful, but ehhhh I don't feel like doing that right at this moment. (If anyone has a list of exercises on the ready I could just easily copy/paste in there, feel free to send it my way.)

• @Peas: Updated the thing with some fundamentals exercises.
    http://artofkevinoneill.com/webfiles/ArtChooserV3.html

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Ooh, thanks for adding fundamental exercises to that, Bacon! I'll squirrel that away for later.

In mundane news, the Paper Feel screen protector I had for my iPad was getting some really annoying bubbling under it, so I thought I'd take it off and re-try using the thing without a screen protector.

Oh my gosh I haaaaaaaate it. The apple pencil is squeaking against the glass and it feels really weird to draw with. Immediately ordered a replacement screen protector

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Thanks for taking your precious time yet again to do this Angel of Bacon, I will definately use it this week to push myself to explore new stuff

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I don’t think we’re at the stage where enough of us are around regularly, but I quite fancy starting up a community project here.

Remember those old art forums that’d have ‘wars’ where you picked a side and drew characters for them?

Maybe one day soon we could just have a thread where we make a world via posting characters, objects and landscapes for it. A shared thing.

No real rules or win point I suppose. Eh, I’ll keep thinking.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2021
    I wonder if the old TyNoom alt still exists, from when we jointly won the AC forum battle with the power of tighty whiteys

Fake edit: seems not. Probably wise.

tynic on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    I don’t think we’re at the stage where enough of us are around regularly, but I quite fancy starting up a community project here.

Remember those old art forums that’d have ‘wars’ where you picked a side and drew characters for them?

Maybe one day soon we could just have a thread where we make a world via posting characters, objects and landscapes for it. A shared thing.

I'd probably be down for something like this in the near future. I could have more focus here creatively if I replaced my time on social media with a project here for sure. At the very least I could share some landscape photos for photobashing.

edited January 2021

I'd probably be down for something like this in the near future. I could have more focus here creatively if I replaced my time on social media with a project here for sure. At the very least I could share some landscape photos for photobashing.

I don’t want to lord over such a project, but would you folks be okay with this as a basic premise to kick it off?
    When a story goes unfinished its world drifts off to the Nixlands. Like tectonic plates, half-made worlds jut against each other, cracking, merging and changing over time.

Basically, you can draw up anything you fancy, with the caveat that it is between genres, and has grown used to that fact.

Examples
    - A snowy tundra pressed up against temperate forest, with giant beanstalks growing in the distance.
    - A cowboy wielding a dark glass sword, riding a hover bike.
    - A slanted skyscraper overtaken by monkeys.
    - A group of ordinary, modern humans trading technology to a group of high elves.
    - A city made of B movie spaceship parts, with a Disney castle in the middle.
    - A pike formation of orcs fending off a knock-off slasher movie villain.
    - An Edo period ronin sneaking passed a black and white film Noir private eye.

“Rules”
    1. If you explicitly name a location/landscape, other posters should try to use it some time.
    2. If you create a species, type of robot etc., other posters should make a defined character from that.
    3. If you post a named character, it’s yours until you say it can be drawn by others.
    4. You can always make a post that is just a write up of an idea, in the hopes someone else will draw it.

Is it too random? Would you prefer to build something more narrow in scope?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Is it too random? Would you prefer to build something more narrow in scope?

Maybe?

The broadness could be a double-edged sword- on one hand it's so broad that it could easily describe pieces that artists would draw anyway on their own, and they might as well toss in the pot while they're at it- but on the other hand, being so broad can lead to a lack of identity for people to get excited about, and feel inspired to produce work for/participate in.

You might have better luck by picking one of your example ideas and start digging deeper into it, fleshing out the hows and whys and the '...so then that leads to...'es of that one premise.

That’s a good call. I went for it initially so anyone could drop in, but by the end of my post I disagreed with it.

I should really hold a vote using a few guides, you know, like:
    A. Tropical. B. Polar...
    1. Mad Science. 2. Old Magic...
    &. New Frontier. !. Dying Empire...

But I don’t think we’ve enough active folk to even hold a vote. I’ll just leave off for now.

If you really make a thread like this I would try to contribute I guess, it might get me out of my comfort zone if I don't retreat back into my deadbeat mode

Hmm! I’ll dwell on it. Oh! Maybe we could make a mythology? Just a bunch of animal headed dudes and giants etc.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Every single time I see someone say "To draw the head, start with a circle", I forever and ever flash back to this meme:

d6d.jpg

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • gavindel wrote: »
    Every single time I see someone say "To draw the head, start with a circle", I forever and ever flash back to this meme:

Hey you go ahead and start with whatever shape you want for drawing owls and heads.
    iq3fjx9yshch.png

edited February 2021
    Instructions unclear.

o56ohdd43f1b.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    Love Life Drawing and Croquis Cafe's Figuary event has started. It's structured differently this year from previous years. They're doing 10 figure drawing lessons plus some live streams instead of a different tip/topic every day. Previous years were a bit overwhelming but a bit unstructured. It was easy to get lost from all the advice so this seems like a better change.

Today was just an overview.

Spoilered incase of anything NSFW
    Just a heads up in case anyone is interested. I'm a bit scared of the idea but haven't got much else to do in this lock down (Lock down blues have really kicked in this week). If nothing else it'll keep me busy.

edited February 2021
    Saw your post and thought it would be a good time to get myself to bust out my empty sketch books and use them, used a A5 for this but I wonder if I should use a bigger one. Current thoughts are that I couldn't keep up with the 1 and 2 minute poses at all lol. Will try to catch up to the videos later, thanks for sharing!

NSFW:
    2lp51rxe8vqw.jpg

Edit:
    Anyone wanna start a thread for this?

Peas on
    I thought about making a thread but wasn't sure which forum to put it in. The inktober thread is in here but other enrichment stuff is in the other subforum. I barely notice posts in there though.

What do the mods think?

• danx wrote: »
    I thought about making a thread but wasn't sure which forum to put it in. The inktober thread is in here but other enrichment stuff is in the other subforum. I barely notice posts in there though.

What do the mods think?

@danx: Either is fine, but here will probably get more views/participation.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'd be down to do some kinda for fun art thing. I don't usually "have fun" when doing "art." May need to give it a shot some time.

• Juggernut wrote: »
    I'd be down to do some kinda for fun art thing. I don't usually "have fun" when doing "art." May need to give it a shot some time.

It's allowed.
    I know sometimes it can feel like the art police are going to send you to art jail if you crack a smile while drawing instead of adopting a 200% serious-times grimace for each and every meticulously considered pencil stroke, but the fact is that very rarely happens.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    If you have even an ounce of fun, I will draw something and hate it even harder. Balance must be maintained.

If you have even an ounce of fun, I will draw something and hate it even harder. Balance must be maintained.

18v3rufh8kn4.gif

danx: Either is fine, but here will probably get more views/participation.

Thanks for replying Bacon. I made a thread for it in AC late last night before going to bed.

edited February 2021
    Real talk I need to try and sort of rededicate myself to art. This last year burned me the hell out. I'm somehow worked more during this pandemic than I did before it and I'm just constantly drained and I don't want to draw. Especially since it's not my job I just don't feel like I have a real incentive to spend more energy and focus on stuff.

But I also miss creating regularly and I feel rusty and bad.

A conundrum.

Juggernut on
    You should make doodles because it’s not your job. We should not be defined by how useful we are to the great machine. Draw out of spite.

edited February 2021
    gavindel wrote: »

18v3rufh8kn4.gif

Oh, yeah? Just for that I'm gonna draw hands.

Edit: Hands drawn. It was awful! You're welcome. :bzz:

gavindel on
    Oh, yeah? Just for that I'm gonna draw hands.

Edit: Hands drawn. It was awful! You're welcome. :bzz:

af7u6vth70sk.gif

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

Woah hey this rules! In case you can't see the tweet, it's sharing a resource where it pops up reference photos for heads based on the angle you want to draw.

referenceangle.com

Edit: There's one for animals too!!

https://x6ud.github.io/#/

Didgeridoo on
    I feel like I'm making good progress in my Watts classes. These days, the teacher doesn't redraw the entire thing during critiques!

리얼클래스 초보자편 [수채화] - REAL CLASS For beginners [WATERCOLOR] Tutorial 33:09
    https://youtu.be/O_ny_gxFHpM

Just got recommended this, man I really need to get over my fear of fucking up and start using water colors again, barely touched it for a while

• AimAim Registered User regular
    Wife got me a whittling kit for my birthday, this eventually came out:
    z9odsw8sj4wq.jpg

And best of all, still have all my fingers :)

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I started trying to learn blender again. I am not good... Half of it is not knowing everything about the program itself, but has been getting better. The other bit is the whole being terrible at almost every type of art I try.

I have the same problems too, I don't have any good advice to give other than to keep chipping away at it but don't do it in a way which burns you out. Blender have been getting so much better and friendlier over the years too which is neat.

Also that wood carving is awesome

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Hey, I'm a month late but that owl meme reminded of this from Chip Zdarsky.

ft00womdfjlz.jpg

edited March 2021
    Hey folks how are you all doing in the art world
    What's hot nowadays aside from that thing

Peas on
    There’s a guy called James Turner who has the style of the week. Real smooth!

m4bysrz5mjgh.jpeg

This guy right, thanks for introducing the artist to me, really enjoyable and fun style
    https://twitter.com/JamesTurner_42?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Man I wonder if I should make an account to follow and discover artists, I have basically not used any form of social media aside from this forum and reddit for a couple of years

edited March 2021
    So something I've wanted to do for a while is really really simplify my art. Obviously I've got my stupid detailed ink drawings and I actually want to get more detailed in that regard, but I want to dip my toes into sequential art and I would like to spend as little time as I can on any individual characters.

Turns out it's hard! I'm not 100% sure if it's a lack of some fundamental anatomy knowledge, or a lack of inherent style that I just need to tune in to, or a combination of both. Probably both. I definitely prefer the more "realistic" style of characters but I'm trying to find a balance between accurate and loose and simple. Tough stuff.

I'm also toying with the idea of checking out Skill Share and seeing what sort of art stuff they have on there. I think it's like $10 a month which is pretty cheap for what they seem to be offering.

Juggernut on