As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    The first word is actually "Beat", according to the official lyrics.
    j1s6Im1.jpg

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I'll just keep singing about the tacos.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    All the evidence in Eorzea aint gonna change the fact that Weapons love tacos.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I finally got a group for castrum! I guess that's the end of the current Bozja story stuff?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Welp. Got to defeat the Bishop dude for main HW MSQ. That fight was anticlimactic but still fun.

Decided to work on unlocking Alexander afterward since it was recommended.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yeah there are a couple of hairy encounters(Refurbisher) but generally speaking fights won't really start getting challenging until Stormblood+. Shadowbringers quickly becomes "I really hope you've been paying attention to everything we've been teaching you."

• Options
    Yeah that's what I'm expecting. It's still fun to do older raids as leveling content without a ridiculous amount of raiding. The fights have been pretty fun! I may go do Bahamut fights as SAM later since I'm right around 50 on that job.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I'm expecting. It's still fun to do older raids as leveling content without a ridiculous amount of raiding. The fights have been pretty fun! I may go do Bahamut fights as SAM later since I'm right around 50 on that job.

if you try to do the coil fights at 50cap you're going to need people who know all the mechancis. If you want to breeze through them you can do them unsynched and get carried by 80s.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So the complete edition is on sale half off right now on the SE store. Can I buy it now on sale and continue to milk the free version and start the 30 days with the complete edition whenever I'm ready?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Yes

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I remember getting an email telling me that because I reached level 30 I was being awarded another 15 free days. I don't know if that is still a thing but worth keeping in mind when you are ready to plug in your code.

I had multiple jobs above 30 before I paid for the game. And at 60 with at least one of them.

Seg on
  • Options
    blnfivjt86oh.jpeg

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    And then he discovered the greased slide called Heavensward and the kaleidoscope tunnel that is Shadowbringers.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I can't tell if I'm a fucking idiot or if the orbs-pitch bog-towers-shadows nonsense on E10S is properly difficult.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    I can't tell if I'm a fucking idiot or if the orbs-pitch bog-towers-shadows nonsense on E10S is properly difficult.

Which mechanic specifically? The orbs have fairly iffy snapshotting and it targets whoever is closest to it at the time it snapshots, role doesn't matter - which means it can be pretty awful at times, but fundamentally it's supposed to be a straightfoward mechanic. The first set of towers aren't too bad, you just have to be aware of the order - towers+shadows, towers->shadows. The people with the first set of shadows have to position to the towers on the safe side of their shadows, and the people with the second set of shadows move to their safe spot after the second towers resolve.

Regardless of the strat for Pitch Bog 2(the one with the shadows/towers) the only iffy mechanic is making sure you don't get hit by the cleave carousel after dropping your puddle. Beyond that it's just go here. Now go here. Now go here. Now wait a sec. Now go here. Now wait a sec. Now go here.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Speaking of E9S, we got our first clear two nights ago. Now onto the cluster that is shadow puppy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Static cleared E10S today... Going to start E11S tomorrow. Really love/hate E10S as a tank... Lots to remember in that fight for mitigation.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Which mechanic specifically? The orbs have fairly iffy snapshotting and it targets whoever is closest to it at the time it snapshots, role doesn't matter - which means it can be pretty awful at times, but fundamentally it's supposed to be a straightfoward mechanic. The first set of towers aren't too bad, you just have to be aware of the order - towers+shadows, towers->shadows. The people with the first set of shadows have to position to the towers on the safe side of their shadows, and the people with the second set of shadows move to their safe spot after the second towers resolve.

Regardless of the strat for Pitch Bog 2(the one with the shadows/towers) the only iffy mechanic is making sure you don't get hit by the cleave carousel after dropping your puddle. Beyond that it's just go here. Now go here. Now go here. Now wait a sec. Now go here. Now wait a sec. Now go here.

Managed to kill it, so I guess I internalized it somehow. My healing partner wants to try and cheese the orbs that follow the hops with big shields on Tuesday so we'll see how that works out.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    just no justice in us poor gatherers getting no kupo vouchers

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    just no justice in us poor gatherers getting no kupo vouchers
    Hear Hear!

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    i got omega mount first run ever
    some people were not very happy with this outcome
    huehuehue

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    I just finished the main part of Stormblood. If things go the way I think they will now I still have hours worth of game left before I can think about Shadowbringers. One job is level 80, two others are getting close. Thinking about leveling up a fourth job to 70 to play through the post Stormblood pre- Shadowbringers stuff with. Most are level 50 to 55 with SAM at 60. I find myself getting very emotional about some of the stuff that happens.

Going to go looking for some Stormblood trailers now that I finished the main part of it.

• Options
    Made it to the enrage of E11S with the static, just need to clean it up now.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

What % and how many deaths? E11S is the first fight this tier where the enrage matters.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Seems likely the next expansion will be announced during the Live Letter in the first week of February. I'm not sure if we'll get a big dump of info because we're behind like two fan fests or if the developers are far enough behind that we'll get the equivalent of one fan fest announcement. If they follow previous patterns we'll get an expansion announcement, then a few hours later early info on 5.5 and then a week or two later the full 5.45 info, so lots of stuff to look forward to in Feb!

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Zython wrote: »

What % and how many deaths? E11S is the first fight this tier where the enrage matters.

9%, and too many (six). Our melee fudged the timing on the LB3 cast as well, which would've brought it to 7%. If we can get a clean run with potions I think we've got it in the bag.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Been unable to log in FFXIV for the past 2 days, there's a few threads on the official forums, but no clear instructions on how to fix it. Some people had success with reinstalling the game, so I'm trying that. Avast is apparently the culprit, although with the consumer base of that thing I wouldn't be surprised if it is mere correlation with no causation.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, who wants their very own Alpha to cuddle?

7a9eb1614d849489c9693ef15977935d_1280_1280.jpg

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I really like this game. I'd actually been excited about the beta (worked their PAX booth before launch!) but then didn't play initial release. I'm doing the trial now and I think they've done a masterful job of balancing ease of play, and instructing the player. It's relaxing, I haven't had the need to web search random frustrating things, and it is rife with quality of life convenience. Probably because of their background with non-MMO games. And several years of polish, I'm sure.

I've got a story question that I don't want to google to spoil big stuff. (I'm level 21 and just did my first airship tour of the other cities). Was the major event (moon exploding into Bahamut, warriors of light) how they explained A Realm Reborn? It feels like a kind of explanation for character wipes and resetting everything. Or was this also the initial story in the original XIV release?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    I really like this game. I'd actually been excited about the beta (worked their PAX booth before launch!) but then didn't play initial release. I'm doing the trial now and I think they've done a masterful job of balancing ease of play, and instructing the player. It's relaxing, I haven't had the need to web search random frustrating things, and it is rife with quality of life convenience. Probably because of their background with non-MMO games. And several years of polish, I'm sure.

I've got a story question that I don't want to google to spoil big stuff. (I'm level 21 and just did my first airship tour of the other cities). Was the major event (moon exploding into Bahamut, warriors of light) how they explained A Realm Reborn? It feels like a kind of explanation for character wipes and resetting everything. Or was this also the initial story in the original XIV release?

Bahamut and the original Warriors of Light is totally the explanation of the end of the 1.0
    Release.

The bahamut cutscene even played from the game after servers went down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Red Raevyn wrote: »

That was how 1.0 ended, yes. The city-states of Eorzea met Garlemald on the plains of Cartenau. Dalamud fell and released Bahamut. Louiseaux's final act was casting a spell to catapult people (PCs) forward in time to safety (a side effect of which screwed with people's memories of them). Bahamut disappeared in the aftermath of blasting half the continent when it woke up and hasn't been seen since.

The specific resolution to a lot of that stuff comes up in the Binding Coil raid series, which is unlocked after the big showdown at the end of the ARR quests in 2.0 (and I believe the first of many credits rolls, as every expansion pack rolls credits then they roll again at the end of the major patch storylines).

That's about the limit of what I'll say on it to avoid spoilers.

Also, characters weren't wiped from 1.0 at all. The initial cutscene arriving in town is actually different for them, as whoever the innkeeper is gets confused finding your name already in their book. And then shrugs it off and continues as normal. (The ARR opening is very similar to the original 1.0 one, in which you got the same whole directed to the inn, signing the logbook, etc). Characters from 1.0 actually have a mark on their backs as a result of the spell as well (it can be toggled, so not everyone shows it).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks for the confirmation! That's a pretty cool way to handle it, I think.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A correction: If you had a 1.0 character carried over into ARR your name isn't in the book in Gridania. I haven't seen the cut scenes from the other nations so I can't say about those. I wonder if I can find them on youtube...

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    A correction: If you had a 1.0 character carried over into ARR your name isn't in the book in Gridania. I haven't seen the cut scenes from the other nations so I can't say about those. I wonder if I can find them on youtube...

Huh. Could have sworn. Hmm.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Finally got around to doing enough Eureka to enyellow my last holdout class.
    ffxiv_01292021_235532_370.png

(BLU is also not dyed but it's a limited class and also I'm not sure you can even get a dyeable version of its armor.)

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    E11S down, now onto E12S... So far I'm liking the first phase, I'm sure my opinion will change soon.

• Options
    Working on previous endgame weapons is a fun side project for me, and it reminds me that Blizzard got rid of all those cool quests when they redid Vanilla in Cataclysm. D:

They'll just be glamours but I enjoy the quest chains.

Curious: do people still run higher end Alexander if I ever decide to try to get those totems for the weapons?

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Working on previous endgame weapons is a fun side project for me, and it reminds me that Blizzard got rid of all those cool quests when they redid Vanilla in Cataclysm. D:

They'll just be glamours but I enjoy the quest chains.

Curious: do people still run higher end Alexander if I ever decide to try to get those totems for the weapons?

Yeah. Unsync runs fairly regularly pop up in PF for glamour/mount farming, and a group of 6-8 level 80's can blast through most of the Alex fights in 30 seconds a piece. I think you might technically have to do one mechanic in A8S and A12S, just cause of how the boss force pushes at certain HP thresholds? I can't remember if anything during the A8S transition insta wipes you, that might be annoying if so.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    My highest job is just over 70 but this is good to know!

This discussion has been closed.