As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX vs E for All 2008, Exhibitors (E4All postponed to Oct. PAX WINS!!)

X1ZeroX1Zero Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in PAX Archive
First time poster, long time viewer!

I was trolling the webs and noticed a quote from an E for All information release:

"The event will take place from on August 28-30"

"This year the show will be host to the World Series of Video Games tournaments, a Video Games Live concert, an Into the Pixel art exhibition, and more. Both Sony and Nintendo will also be present at the show."

So, both PAX and E for All are taking place at roughly the same time, but what interested me is that E for All say Nintendo/Sony are guaranteed to be there and on the sponsors page for PAX, only Microsoft is there.

So I'm wondering, is only Microsoft showing up at PAX or will all of the "Big 3" be there? It just seems like they are more or less splitting up between the events.

Insights?

Thanks

- X1Zero
X1Zero on

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    X1Zero wrote: »
    First time poster, long time viewer!

I was trolling the webs and noticed a quote from an E for All information release:

"The event will take place from on August 28-30"

"This year the show will be host to the World Series of Video Games tournaments, a Video Games Live concert, an Into the Pixel art exhibition, and more. Both Sony and Nintendo will also be present at the show."

So, both PAX and E for All are taking place at roughly the same time, but what interested me is that E for All say Nintendo/Sony are guaranteed to be there and on the sponsors page for PAX, only Microsoft is there.

So I'm wondering, is only Microsoft showing up at PAX or will all of the "Big 3" be there? It just seems like they are more or less splitting up between the events.

Insights?

Thanks

wtf? Are they trying to step into PAX territory? Uh-uh they didn't. (triple-snap)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    I would honestly be surprised if E4All actually happens this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, PAX had a much larger turnout than E for All last year, this year PAX's Exhibition Hall is twice the size it was last year, and both Microsoft and Nintendo are located within 15 miles of PAX, so you can be assured that PAX will get them.

Dreamwriter on
  • Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm always afraid that Nintendo won't show up because they're usually announced so late, for some reason. A few years ago, Gabe said "90% of the exhibition space is taken up!" and Nintendo still wasn't on their list at that time, although they showed up eventually.

Iirc, E for All had a lower-than-expected attendance last year, according to an exhibitor. They might be discouraged from returning.

Eyes5 on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nintendo of America's headquarters is here, and they know PAX is probably the biggest concentration of their consumers, uh, ever, in the US (the literal writhing sea of DSes is the clear indicator). If Nintendo doesn't show I will officially eat somebody's hat (I don't wear them myself). Sony I don't know or care about, they were on board in 2005, tried to come in late to 2006 and found out the floor was full, and came back last year. They're just flakes, like their products. When they can do two years in a row, maybe I'll think differently.

If you look at the facts though:
    PAX 2007: >37000
    E4Empty: >18000

Companies that really want to get the most for their money are going to prioritize the new big dog first. Especially considering what a widely negative review was given to E4All. I expect their growth is going to be pretty limited, both in terms of exhibitors (who were really disappointed by the turn out) and attendees (who were really disappointed by almost everything).

Edit: Had to remove comparison photos of the different gamin lounges because my E4All source dumped them.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited January 2008
    ROFL! I *LOVE* that picture ElectricTurtle!

"In the gamer lounge, you're 33% likely to be a potted plant."

I literally rolled on the floor laughing, so it wasn't an exaggeration.

VThornheart on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So was the second picture supposed to be some some people at E4All with DS's looking like that are having a bad time? If so E4All's sucks so bad they are causing the pic to 404 for me.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2008
    Hmmm it loaded for VThornheart and of course me so I don't know what's wrong with your internets. But it's a picture of the E4A "GamerLounge" with all of two people in it (and a plant).

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Was that really the gamer lounge for E for All?! I find that embarrassing and I have nothing to do with it. O_o

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Loading for me now so maybe it was just my internets being stupid. Those guys don't even look happy to be there how much did they have to pay to do that again?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Haha that picture was awesome. Even if none of the big 3 showed up this year I would be just as happy. Last year Nintendo brought Phantom hourglass which was new. I didn't see anything new from Microsoft that I remember. Sony actually brought the most new unreleased games. Other than that I didn't spend much time with the big 3.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • X1ZeroX1Zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would just like to see all of the "big 3" and as many exhibitors as possible.

X1Zero on
    - X1Zero
    edited January 2008
    I don't think you have any worries there. I hear the Exhibition Hall at PAX this year is going to be twice the size of last year, and last year, it was huge. There will be plenty of everything everywhere and you'll never be able to see it all, no matter how much you want to.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wtf? Are they trying to step into PAX territory? Uh-uh they didn't. (triple-snap)

Technically, we're moving in on their date. They had Labor Day weekend last year, and PAX is traditionally the last weekend of August. This year, those dates have collided. (This is also causing PAX to fall on the same weekend as some other conventions, but yeah.)

ASimPerson on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Technically, we're moving in on their date. They had Labor Day weekend last year, and PAX is traditionally the last weekend of August. This year, those dates have collided. (This is also causing PAX to fall on the same weekend as some other conventions, but yeah.)

PAX has always had the last weekend in august.

E4A was never on that date. Their first year (last year) was early november.

PAX is not stepping on their dates, if anything (since this is the 5th year PAX has been the last weekend in august) they are stepping on PAX's dates.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Huh, I thought they were Labor Day weekend last year for some reason.

My bad. Shows how little attention I paid to them, I guess. :)

ASimPerson on
    edited January 2008
    You and everybody else in the world.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think the real question is which expo will offer a shirt-tv combo.

Sl1pstream on
  • petfishpetfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is that a touch-screen?

petfish on
    <khoo> PAX WAS LIKE A ZILLION DAYS
  • kaldoniskaldonis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    petfish wrote: »
    Is that a touch-screen?

Nah, but my shorts are.

kaldonis on
    edited January 2008
    So basically, E for All is the "Johnny Come Lately", trying to steal some thunder from PAX.

Except even Johnny come latelys have some fleeting measure of immediate popularity. Oh well.

VThornheart on
  • Ty1012Ty1012 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nintendo of America's headquarters is here, and they know PAX is probably the biggest concentration of their consumers, uh, ever, in the US (the literal writhing sea of DSes is the clear indicator). If Nintendo doesn't show I will officially eat somebody's hat (I don't wear them myself). Sony I don't know or care about, they were on board in 2005, tried to come in late to 2006 and found out the floor was full, and came back last year. They're just flakes, like their products. When they can do two years in a row, maybe I'll think differently.

If you look at the facts though:
    PAX 2007: >37000
    E4Empty: >18000

Companies that really want to get the most for their money are going to prioritize the new big dog first. Especially considering what a widely negative review was given to E4All. I expect their growth is going to be pretty limited, both in terms of exhibitors (who were really disappointed by the turn out) and attendees (who were really disappointed by almost everything).

I mean seriously, would you rather be handheld gaming here: http://media.arstechnica.com/articles/culture/pax-technica-looking-back-at-penny-arcade-expo-2007.media/gamers.jpg
    Or here: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t49/chezmaradine/e4a/lounge.png

what the? when was that picture at e for all taken? that looks a little like me in the red....can't remember wearing red though....

Ty1012 on
    edited January 2008
    Was it as sad and disappointing as the pictures make it look?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Was it as sad and disappointing as the pictures make it look?

And were the potted plants any good at Mario Kart?

Lail on
  • Ty1012Ty1012 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    it was...yeah, it was not really a 'go there to game' expo. I think they threw it in there just as an excuse to have chairs. it was nifty though. a few really cool things were there. I won one of these: http://tngames.com/

Ty1012 on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's pretty nifty. What were the chances of winning though? Must have been pretty high, but it would have been embarrassing to lose to the plant.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That thing better have a codpiece!

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think you have any worries there. I hear the Exhibition Hall at PAX this year is going to be twice the size of last year, and last year, it was huge. There will be plenty of everything everywhere and you'll never be able to see it all, no matter how much you want to.

NOES! I WILL SEE IT ALL!

Viscountalpha on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

NOES! I WILL SEE IT ALL!

Good luck with that. Just let me know where you're going to be when you explode so I can be close enough to see but be beyond the blast radius.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • X1ZeroX1Zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Other than the list currently on the PAX page, is there another list elsewhere that has current or the most up-to-date sponsor list? I know for PAX 2006, Joystiq had a pretty exhaustive list on their site.

X1Zero on
    - X1Zero
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    X1Zero wrote: »
    Other than the list currently on the PAX page, is there another list elsewhere that has current or the most up-to-date sponsor list? I know for PAX 2006, Joystiq had a pretty exhaustive list on their site.

The stuff on the PAX site isnt the end all list of sponsors, more get announced as we get closer to PAX. Those are just the ones that are confirmed at this point.
    There will be updates on the site when more sponsors sign on.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited February 2008
    Supposedly they're doubling the exhibition space, which I have a hard time believing is physically possible (where will it fit?), so I would try to find a 2007 list, and imagine it doubled.

... That's going to be a lot of stuff. (Seriously, where are they going to put it?)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Probably split among two rooms? Those rooms we lined up in downstairs would serve as a good 2nd area and would be of equivalent size to the 4th floor one I think.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited February 2008
    I think the exhibition hall will encompass the same room as last year and the adjacent main theater room from last year. If I'm not mistaken, the wall between the two folds away.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I think the exhibition hall will encompass the same room as last year and the adjacent main theater room from last year. If I'm not mistaken, the wall between the two folds away.

It does, and that's the only place where they could possibly expand to and get enough room.

Aydr on
    edited February 2008
    But then Main Theater will have to move to where the line holding area was, and then BYOC won't be the most convenient place in the entire PAX universe anymore like it was last year... nooooooo...

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh I would not worry about that. BR can be trusted to make sure the BYOC area is in the center of all that is PAX.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    But then Main Theater will have to move to where the line holding area was, and then BYOC won't be the most convenient place in the entire PAX universe anymore like it was last year... nooooooo...

Not necessarily. There are a lot of large rooms in the WSCTC that didn't get used last year. PAX was sharing space with UPS.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Supposedly they're doubling the exhibition space, which I have a hard time believing is physically possible (where will it fit?), so I would try to find a 2007 list, and imagine it doubled.

... That's going to be a lot of stuff. (Seriously, where are they going to put it?)

I wonder if the line waiting area was semi-wasted.

Viscountalpha on
    edited February 2008

I wonder if the line waiting area was semi-wasted.

I heard the rumor that the space wasn't even planned for PAX, that it was just turned over to handle the line and nothing else.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
This discussion has been closed.