As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stewWhen it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
edited July 2022 in Social Entropy++
This is the Zakrello.
mMaDd8bh.jpg
This is what peak aquatic performance looks like.
I don’t know what lies people have told you about hydrodynamics but strapping two booster rockets to a machine with a fixed-open mouth and blade arms is the most efficient design possible.
Now I know what you’re gonna say, what about the acguy or the z’gok? My answer is this: do either of those have sick shoulder tattoos?
I rest my case.

Here is my own humble shrine to the Zakrello:
Ey20ql7h.jpg

I just built the Haro last night and was surprised at how well the new metallic red marker I got worked for the missile pods that I’m hoping to get a silver one for the arm blades rather than using the stickers.

Oh, I guess you can post about other model kits of any stripe in here too.

Whippy on

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    aft4by0qx461.jpeg

ZAKRELLO

Given the lightening holes, is that Izubuchi’s redesign?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Honestly I think I like that one over the original

It has a sleeker style to it that makes it feel more modern, but at the same time it just goes full on into “Fuck it, make it a shark. SPACE SHARK”

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    more to the point it gives it a proper monoeye and turns the weird eyes into big decals.

still no explanation for the teeth though.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    0nb049s5hgi51.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    athenor wrote:
    Lasbrook wrote:
    Oh wow, there is a night and day difference between this regular metallic red gundam marker and the metallic red gundam marker EX.

Pics please? I like the metallic green, but i was underwhelmed by the metallic red.

vicI8ymh.jpg
    Top is Normal Metallic Red
    Middle is EX Metallic Red
    Bottom is Normal Gold

This was my test on a sprue, the normal Metallic Red is kind of like a rose gold to me but when I did a thinner coat on a number on the sprue it was a lot closer to rose gold. The EX marker however looks like I could paint a car with it. I guess it's a good thing I got both because the EX Marker is definitely what I was looking for.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Do you happen to have the Metallic Green and/or the EX Metallic Green?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So how much more do those EX ones cost? Getting the regular metallics was a pain when I did it years ago (though now my store keeps them in stock).

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Do you happen to have the Metallic Green and/or the EX Metallic Green?

I don't have any Metallic Green markers, it looks like the EX Green can only be had via Japanese sites like HLJ or 1999.
    Athenor wrote: »
    So how much more do those EX ones cost? Getting the regular metallics was a pain when I did it years ago (though now my store keeps them in stock).

The EX marker ran me 5 bucks at USA Gundam store.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh shit my backlog gets even bigger... the guy I bought my Geno Breaker from has gotten them in stock and is gonna start shipping them out soon!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got a bomb sent though international mail
    jyrswym9vvze.jpg
    My glue finally arrived from the far lands of Deutschland
    It is kind of annoying I like the precision plastic glues but they are a pain in the ass to get. Long ago I got one of the precision German glues the faller brand one from a hobby store as before then I was using the very smelly euphoric brain melting high super glue and I wanted something different. The brush ones did not seem that appealing then and I never used a precision plastic glue before. As time went on and I got into 40k and how they slowly transitioned from metal to resin hell to plastic I found that glue was perfect for the fiddly bits of ever so tiny parts

So I am happy for the first time since before halloween I can build stuff once again adding to the paint backlog

Which in itself is another debate in both RL and various hobby things people have been talking about Harbor Freight's airbrush {the person i work with who does detailing for cars was talking about it} I would like to get a airbrush for prime coats and generally doing the larger objects I have but the store is closed when I can usually go to it

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

BEGIN TWITTER POST TRANSCRIPT
    "(closing my eyes and ignoring the unrelated oooh scary footage) yeah that’s newtypes"
    [A VIDEO IS EMBEDDED]
    END TWITTER POST TRANSCRIPT
    TWITTER ACCOUNT: SOME NERD

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    fgdude5awlv4.jpeg
    Operation hygogg continues. Not sure on the chest

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Whelp.

I guess I've put it off ling enough. Time to start decaling the PG.

I decided to half-disassemble it. The easiest places to remove the wiring is at the waist, so I'm taking it apart there. I can work around the rest easily enough with clips/weights/supports.

edited January 2021
    Anyone wanna spend over a thousand bucks on a fancy Ideon?

uiybtftmpcah.jpeg
    pp68o0selrcs.jpeg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    What is that, an Infinitism version?

Also I has plopped down more money on mecha waifus daughterus.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    bjn4lo7xksif.jpeg

S t o u t

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    edited January 2021
    Nah, not Infinitism; I forget who’s designing it but it’s a Three Zero release; HLJ says it’s a December 2021 release

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Hello new Gunpla thread, here is my current backlog.

qjtyfvjyydv1.jpg

Cardboard box is the PG Unicorn which I still got a couple runners to do.

Lets see how much of this I actually build before the thread reaches 100 pages.

steam_sig.png
    Nice!

I'm not going to bore people with day to day posts of my decal work, but I think I got a decent chunk done today. And again, decals in the right place adds a TON of contrast.

zHfxi6Ih.jpg

OfcQ5VGh.jpg

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I cannot wait for the Real Grade Zakrello to come out! (Which it never will... :( )

Anyway, here is the Mobile Suit half of the Penelope kit completed:

...and here is what I still have to build:

(For the record I am happy someone else made a Gunpla thread, because I forgot to yesterday!)

That's not a bad gundam!

Can I ask what is up with your runners? Are you having them spread out like that for organization/ease of assembly or for pre-painting or something? It's wild, and I like it in its resourcefulness.

edited January 2021
    People spend money on fancy plastic or metal organizers which hold the runners for the model kits they are working on. This is for organization and ease of assembly.

I decided to make my own by cutting pairs of v-shaped slits in old gunpla boxes. They work quite well, though obviously take up a lot of space.

Curly_Brace on
    edited January 2021
    Curly_Brace on
    Nice!

I can't find a solution I like, to be honest. I was lucky the PG explicitly called which runners were used in a part, so I could put most of them "Away."

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay now you can just stop there. You don't have to build the rest of the Penelope. It's okay

You can leave it. Go home. Find something else

Is there gonna be away to get the Effects set for the Penelope and Xi on its own, or would you really have to get that nearly $200 set that has it and both units?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Hope for a P-Bandai release or if you can find the R code maybe use their replacement runner order site and pay for a proxy shipper.

steam_sig.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Keep looking at that ideon and thinking "finally a chance to see jpeg artifacting on a real physical object"

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Okay now you can just stop there. You don't have to build the rest of the Penelope. It's okay

You can leave it. Go home. Find something else

Dont listen, assemble chicken!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ay @Athenor all your Zoids are by Kotobukiya, right? Noticed Supernova has some up for pre-order on USAG, kinda tempted to grab a 1/72 Hayate Liger, didn't know what the deal is - seems like an upscaled copy of a 1/100 Koto kit, maybe?

Oh brilliant
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Keep looking at that ideon and thinking "finally a chance to see jpeg artifacting on a real physical object"

I think you're just seeing compression artifacting on the actual photograph actually, those photos are terrible

BahamutZERO.gif
    @Dark Raven X Yeah. Doing some research, it appears that "Super Nova" is a knockoff/reproduction company. The Koto kit is 1/100 and was released in 2016 for $64 US or so. So if they are doing a 1/72 of the same model for like $43-50... I'd say it is pretty much an unlicensed, upscaled knockoff. Just like the 1/50 Death Stinger, I highly suspect they have just taken the Koto molds, upscaled them, and are selling them. Now, I am really curious why so many US importers are selling these, but hey... In the case of the Hayate Liger, it's not in production... Whereas the Death Stinger was just put into production a few months ago.

I think you're just seeing compression artifacting on the actual photograph actually, those photos are terrible

they actually look fine on my laptop screen, there's something about my desktop that makes it look jaggy as fuck.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    @Dark Raven X Yeah. Doing some research, it appears that "Super Nova" is a knockoff/reproduction company. The Koto kit is 1/100 and was released in 2016 for $64 US or so. So if they are doing a 1/72 of the same model for like $43-50... I'd say it is pretty much an unlicensed, upscaled knockoff. Just like the 1/50 Death Stinger, I highly suspect they have just taken the Koto molds, upscaled them, and are selling them. Now, I am really curious why so many US importers are selling these, but hey... In the case of the Hayate Liger, it's not in production... Whereas the Death Stinger was just put into production a few months ago.

I believe Supernova actually has some low key arrangement with Bandai, they don't seem to be chased down the way they go after Daban and similar bootleggers, because from what I've seen, Supernova goes out of their way to make new stuff? Like they'll make a Heavyarms kit, but it'll be a brand new mold, not a cheap imitation of an official kit.

That might be why USAG is up for carrying them - as knockoff brands go, they're the most respectable one. Would be curious to see how much is repurposed from a real Kotobukiya kit, how much is new.

They've got Hayate, Mugen and Murasame Ligers on offer, not sure which one I like the most. Kinda leaning toward Murasame tho, the big knife is appealing. ;P

Oh brilliant
    Ahaaaaa...

I just watched an unboxing of the Murasame Liger. Sooo. Yeah. Deffo 3rd party. The box has absolutely no markings on it whatsoever. The runners say "Made in China 2019."

The Koto models were labeled as 1/100 action figures, so these might be the first model kits. They definitely look high quality, though I haven't seen any polycaps yet and they are putting way more pieces on a sprue that Koto does.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Real life inspiration for the Murasame:
    8u95phi0pzes.jpeg

Real life inspiration for the Murasame:
    8u95phi0pzes.jpeg

Man, I wish Aftermath would get the expansions we were promised.

But at least it gave us this:

iVTpqlsh.jpg

edited February 2021
    So you know how Bandai did a Premium Bandai kit of that one manga mobile suit that's fuckin' weird and turns into a hand mobile armor?

Well now they're doing the other hand:

Bandai Spirits is Bandai Spirits, and want to sell you large quantities of plastic merch

EDIT:

Also 30MM now has Fuckin' Ninja and Samurai mechs:

30 Minutes Mission is the twitter for Bandai's original model line 30 Minutes Mission

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Gonna buy that hand

X22wmuF.jpg
    Gotta hand it to them Bandai knows what people want.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.