As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [DOODLE] Thread for the Ages. [NSFW]

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    All right I think I have to admit this is the best I'm gonna do at my current ability level (in part because I have no idea how shadows work), so FINISHED HALLOWEEN DOODLE

femgxmoyhth1.png

It's always tough for me to decide to call something 'done' and try to move onto the next thing! Diminishing returns and all that

• Kim kongKim kong Registered User regular
    z3ezsb5yx37s.jpg

• Another stab at the artist combiner exercise. I think maybe this exercise is dumb.

jzyado2ti0o5.png

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    no that's great. This is dumb (silly thing for my BIL's birthday)

8a66a3wwkdxs.png

I love that I know exactly the kinda fella your BIL is from this drawing. A jolly fella, merrily disregarding cold weather in favor of flip flops and shorts

• Some random head doodles:
    glwqxyj4ygoo.png

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    9p391cywcb24.jpg

In exchange for your helpfulness in the advice thread, behold my distinctly marginal efforts. She makes me happy with how far I've come in terms of making a person who kinda looks like a person wearing clothes which resemble actual clothes in the last 5 months.

I have titled this piece "Free solo El Capitan at Night, 2020 edition"

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    Woop! Woop! I wish I had more free time to draw stuff, I feel I'm getting better every time.

NQ9gL2a.jpg

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    square wrote: »
    Woop! Woop! I wish I had more free time to draw stuff, I feel I'm getting better every time.

NQ9gL2a.jpg

Is the insect plotting some kind of heist? I like it’s map :)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited December 2020
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Is the insect plotting some kind of heist? I like it’s map :)

I forgot to mention is a fan art from a game I've been playing recently. It's a map vendor sort of speak, but yeah the bug looks like it's scheming something!

square on
    Mm9Qsm4.png
    Heck yeah, Hollow Knight rules! Love the colors on that, Square.

5et1wy7ta8wz.jpg

Pumpkin season is over, time for a new avatar.

Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Heck yeah, Hollow Knight rules! Love the colors on that, Square.

Yeah, it's a shame I had the pleasure to play it only recently, the game's atmosphere is beatiful.
    By the way I'm glad you liked the colors, I'm still experimenting a bit with my style but I feel I'm getting somewhere.

Love the foxy, that scarf is hella cute.

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Brushwork study from a still of "Gangs of New York".
    ptb171w2ut53.png

• Same pencils with different ink treatments:
    71ap5egobuwf.png

Looking for a bit of advice, if anyone is in the mood to give it!

I'm a bit lost when it comes to digital coloring right now. I mean, I'm a bit lost when it comes to most things with drawing, but coloring especially!

As an example, I'm relatively happy with the lineart of the SnowFox cartoon thing, but am not at all happy with the coloring or background.

Lineart for reference:

nn8knhq3vt63.jpg

Any advice on resources for super, duper beginners for digital painting? I'd love to achieve a storybook/ fable effect, but my blending skills and understanding of shadowing is coming up majorly short. I tried to circumvent it by going with base colors only, but I think it ends up looking very... jarring? Like none of the pieces really 'belong' in the illustration, if that makes sense.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2020
    I think James Gurney might have some good resources (certainly his books are excellent), though his blog is kind of an organizational mess. Some haphazard posts I found with a quick squint that seem relevant

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2020/04/new-video-tutorial-comes-out-monday.html
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2020/01/frank-brangwyn-color-and-tone.html

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2018/03/two-color-cartoons.html
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2018/06/how-to-apply-warm-and-cool-approach.html

In general I would try not to think about what colors things ‘are’ (color is an optical illusion, after all) but instead think about what mood/idea you want to invoke. Is this a sunset, with cool blue shadows and warm pink/orange mid tones? Is it a crisp cold midday, or a deep evening? Then start with a limited palette (two or three colors max) and use those as your base. That will help you keep things cohesive.
    Feel free to look up references to help you with palette selection. I often save images that I think have an interesting color vibe and then use them as inspiration when I’m not sure where to go with a painting.

With that particular piece, you have thin charming penmanship, and bold, saturated colors could easily overwhelm the line work. I’d probably be thinking more about pastels, nothing too intense or dark.

tynic on
  • @Didgeridoo

That's a broad enough topic that it's somewhat hard to know where to start. Certainly I'll back Tynic's recommendation of James Gurney's stuff- if you've got the money, his Color and Light book is probably one of the better resources on the subject. I'm sure there's probably a Proko video or two on the subject worth checking out as well.

To try to be brief, I'll try to give you basically a quick bullet point synopsis of the stuff I'd want to cover in a class or book on the subject, which hopefully will give you some direction in hunting down some more specific resources covering each topic.

The way I would think of it, good usage of color relies on having a decent understanding of two objective, factually-based areas: Understanding the science of light (at a decent layman's level- thankfully a physicist's level of understanding isn't necessary), and understanding color theory.

Light
    -Planes and rounding volumes, casting shadows
    -Light bouncing, reflectance/refraction
    -Light color and its effect on local color
    -Lighting properties of different surfaces
    -Direct vs. Diffused lighting
    -Common scenarios of natural light
    Color Theory
    -Color wheel
    -Color mixing
    -Understanding the Hue/Saturation/Value construct of color
    -Color schemes (complimentary colors, analogous colors, etc.)
    -Emotional effects of colors
    -Analyzing colors from reference/life

When it comes to making a specific image, one draws on both of these knowledge bases to form a color design- using the objective to realize your subjective, personal vision of a piece.

Color Design
    -Choosing an overall color scheme based on intended mood/effect
    -Using color & contrast to drive the eye to areas of importance
    -Designing local colors to flow or contrast with the overall color/light scheme
    -Lighting design/cinematography
    -Embellishing color variety or reducing color variety for effect
    -Choosing a style of lighting (realism, cel-shading, flats, etc.)
    -Losing detail in lights and darks (overexposure/underexposure) for effect

Notice that Tynic and I aren't talking about 'digital' as you asked for, because there's nothing about digital specifically that would change any of these principles or ideas- in the same way the principles of math don't change if you're doing it manually, or with the help of a calculator. The tools can make things more convenient, but you need the underlying knowledge to use either well.

Also, when you talk about 'blending skills and understanding of shadowing'- these aren't specifically color issues, really. Important not to conflate separate issues, as it just makes solving things in a piece harder.
    If you want to improve those things quickly (which will in turn serve to improve your color work), it's likely to go faster by working on those issues in grayscale first, being able to create a convincing effect of light and shade with just value. Not to discourage you from exploring color of course, but art exercises just tend to be more effective if you limit yourself to working on one specific aspect at a time, rather than wrestling with a bunch of different factors all at once. (ie: in my last two posts, I wanted to work on brushwork, so I used a reference picture rather than also trying to make up a design and composition as well. I wanted to explore some variety in inking, so I inked over the same picture 6 times, instead of making 6 different pictures to ink. Reducing the number of things I could get lost in the weeds on, to focus on a specific thing.)

edited December 2020
    Thanks so much, both of you! I really appreciate your thoughtful responses. I'll check out those resources, and try narrowing my focus a bit as you suggest, Bacon. Tynic, thanks for the point about overwhelming the linework, since I've mostly been using the 'india ink' brush which has very saturated colors, and it didn't feel right. I'll play around with different, softer brush and color options.

Didgeridoo on
  • JolliJolli Registered User regular
    Back to my Santa Clauses. Also I still don't know how to color.
    EpBXoFZW8AALpLk?format=jpg&name=large
    EpFp1CFW4AISwsl?format=jpg&name=large

edited December 2020
    I'm doing a Santa Dwarf. It is still missing some background details but at this point I think I will paint them directly into the scene.
    VIfKSus.png

Also I've been thinking about the lighting and made a quick test:
    870udRf.png

square on
    Mm9Qsm4.png
  • EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    lpaqgrooi2bg.jpg

Trying to get a handle on digital, using procreate on an iPad.

There's definitely stuff I could have done better but keen to get fresh eyes on this.

vau71lsdu13o.jpeg
    1w7zv7gweyx4.jpeg

The first one was made for my wife’s secret Santa and the other is the design for the greeting card we will be sending out for these holidays.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Holy shit actual doodles

gin5inmvxo8g.jpg

Phone posting hopefully it doesn't look like garb

The good faces in there are copies of some Jerome Opeña stuff. I'm trying to work out some of his techniques. He gets a really aggressive, gestural style that's kinda scratchy and rough but his lock on anatomy is fuckin aces. I haven't come across a lot of artists who can draw the human form so accurately while still staying loose and dynamic.

I covet this power.

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    doodled a baby goose

od35zb0yiamq.jpeg

edited January 2021
    Little Butter St Beef doodle from the 'Come at the King' arc of Rude Tales of Magic:

hfx259ywvpeu.jpg

Hey, you been listening to Rude Tales of Magic? Because you should! It's a lot of fun! Rude Tales of Magic !!

Didgeridoo on
    I've been coloring a lot lately using layer masks and sheets of benday dots and zipatone and such. It occurred to me I could use the exact same process with other scanned paper. So I doodled HST, painting with scans of his texts.

zbmlskdcyys9.jpg

edited January 2021
    u0s3kcl4ke99.jpg
    ezxgwvo75z6h.jpg
    ui7lkluh5p1y.jpg

More doodles.

Kim kong on
    I love the tree druid man guy

• Doing some Blender shader/render tricks to see if I could make it spit out SNES style sprites easily, seems to work pretty decently.
    prf6u95h485f.gif

r6xbukkhn2fo.jpg
    n8lw1b175ipp.jpg

Stuff!

So that sprite is above isn't a sprite, but a 3d rendering under various layers and shaders made to look like a sprite?
    Because if so, that's mind-blowing (for me). I mean it is a cool sprite on itself, but I can only imagine the applications for people working 16-bit style games and wanting smooth animation.

tl;dr: Cool sprite, yo

• Kim kong wrote: »
    So that sprite is above isn't a sprite, but a 3d rendering under various layers and shaders made to look like a sprite?
    Because if so, that's mind-blowing (for me). I mean it is a cool sprite on itself, but I can only imagine the applications for people working 16-bit style games and wanting smooth animation.

tl;dr: Cool sprite, yo
    Thanks man!

Making 2d sprites from 3d assets is nothing new- I worked on a Nintendo DS game that we did this with back in 2009 using Maya, and I'm sure it was a well-trodden technique even then- it's just that required a lot of post-render palettization and manual pixel cleanup work to get a decent result. (Maybe Maya had the tools to do this back then, and I just didn't have the knowledge to make it this efficient. Well, they didn't hire me to be a tech artist. :/)
    This Blender take on the idea would still require some manual cleanup (there's some stray pixels and broken outlines in there still), but god I could have saved myself and my colleagues a lot of time back then.

Render of the same walkcycle from a different perspective, which makes the 3d-ness more obvious.
    aozgctix88le.gif

• Gotta stay current.
    8b3o43bs41a2.png

edited February 2021
    apkhji9wzimd.jpg

This is Olga, a Tortle bartender for a DnD campaign I'm going to run. She likes to collect wigs (this one's a pompadour), and decorates her shell with feathers and cheap jewels. Thought It'd be fun to draw her 'avatar' for Roll20.

Edit: Color Olga!

1vz4ydyc8941.jpg

Didgeridoo on
    edited February 2021
    vvxaiudfhj0p.jpg

m2lu6iy7bvxv.jpg

Productive day at work...

Kim kong on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    i been slackin

hifoh0au5eha.png

a little drawing of a puppy for my mom's birthday

• AimAim Registered User regular
    Love the light on that

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2021
    some random procrastination practice ref heads
    tq65a96ivgle.png
    Edit: oh yeah forgot to thank @Didgeridoo for the ref resource- thanks!

Angel_of_Bacon on
    r154bova9gdw.jpg
    pbghs0mf6k2r.jpg

Stuff, now in colour...

2ez6z6xsx2sq.jpg
    afivscd70mj2.jpg

More stuff, now not in colour.
    (sorry for the double post)

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Rock on.
    Sketchbook-Spring-2021-2.jpg

Edit: Hmm. Apparently I broke all of my images at some point...stand by :bzz: If you're really curious, seems to work with: http://www.aetherdrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Sketchbook-Spring-2021-2.jpg

gavindel on
    Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora