As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Police Brutality] "Nobody is doing that" Edition

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Rochester PD already has "deescalation training" among the myriad of reforms implemented in the last few years.

What is writing up new use of force standards going to change? They have a police accountability board in Rochester, too. That did not prevent this incident.

What consequences are the officers involved going to face? Anything less than being stripped of their badges and their pensions will show that every reform ostensibly adopted has been a smokescreen to make people stop paying attention. Deploying another smokescreen is not a solution.

If I pepper sprayed a random child I'd lose more than my job

If you pepper sprayed a random child you would be prosecuted for aggravated assault of a minor or similar

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I would agree that we've tried smaller reforms, and the cops have fought every single one tooth and nail at every turn. So it's time to go bigger.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I would agree that we've tried smaller reforms, and the cops have fought every single one tooth and nail at every turn. So it's time to go bigger.

None of the "reforms" have resulted in any substantive positive changes.

Yes, including body cams. Either they are simply another tool for the police to control the narrative, they are suppressed until the officers involved are let off, or the footage is released and the officers walk away unscathed anyway.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Yes, including body cams. Either they are simply another tool for the police to control the narrative, they are suppressed until the officers involved are let off, or the footage is released and the officers walk away unscathed anyway.

Exactly.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Editing in a Super Important Rule: Any links to media that's evidence / citations of police brutality have to comply with forum rules, particularly the new ones we got this past month. And even when they are in compliance, please place content warnings of what people can expect if they choose to open said media.

It's February and the honeymoon of "things are going to be better yay" is over. I'm sorry to tell you all that shit is still bad. (Edit - This line was written in the spirit of "New Years Day doesn't solve our problems" but was taken as a jab at the Biden administration. My bad for not making that clearer.)

To kick this thread off, while American law enforcement has a SHITLOAD of problems this thread's focus is on the use of force, be it racially driven or otherwise. I say 'otherwise' because this morning's headlines sure are a goddamn thing (via NBC):

Authorities in Rochester, New York, are investigating a confrontation captured on video that shows police pepper spraying a 9-year-old girl while responding to a report of “family trouble,” officials say.
    The girl was told by the officer "you're acting like a child," which she pointed out she was indeed a child. And then was attacked by the cop. Because all cops are bastards, and child abusers now.

I've been out of the news loop so I don't know what protests are continuing, but I have no doubt they will be happening the moment the new administration opens its mouth on the matter and delivers anything less than a perfect message.

To get ahead of it, yes while police participated in the attack on the capitol, discussion of that belongs in the coup thread.

I had to walk into the woods and scream into the hood of my coat because this made me so sickly angry. I can see my learning disabled son reacting exactly like this. I would lose my mind if this was my kid.

I want to say the authorities should get involved in this but the authorities are the problem so I dunno.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Yes and no. In the case I linked from La Mesa last year, the "unprofessional conduct" (he was a gaping asshole) that was caught on bodycam after the arrest (in the cruiser) was a major part of the justification for firing the officer and probably helped keep momentum on the investigation that led to charges.

It also does seem like bodycams have helped temper behavior somewhat, and there have been many cases where they've been used to justify real disciplinary action.

It's really tough at this point to figure out if things are "better" or "worse" because the proliferation of both officer-worn and public-held cameras is gonna lead to us seeing more and more incidents reported on regardless.

I would agree that body cams aren't the magic bullet some people wanted to believe they would be.

mcdermott wrote: »

Yes and no. In the case I linked from La Mesa last year, the "unprofessional conduct" (he was a gaping asshole) that was caught on bodycam after the arrest (in the cruiser) was a major part of the justification for firing the officer and probably helped keep momentum on the investigation that led to charges.

It also does seem like bodycams have helped temper behavior somewhat, and there have been many cases where they've been used to justify real disciplinary action.

It's really tough at this point to figure out if things are "better" or "worse" because the proliferation of both officer-worn and public-held cameras is gonna lead to us seeing more and more incidents reported on regardless.

I would agree that body cams aren't the magic bullet some people wanted to believe they would be.

Body cams work when they are always on and the recordings are available to the public. Of course cops do everything they can to prevent these things.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Yeah, the big step to stop cop brutality is to completely strip them of their power. Dissolve the unions completely and, at a minimum, fire every cop with a questionable past. Establish a Federal database that tracks all cops that are fired. Make it illegal to hire fired cops again in any precinct. Put mandatory prison time on any proven abuse of power, and force precincts to continue investigating charges even if a cop resigns first to avoid getting something on their record. Cops never get to turn off their own bodycams, and all bodycam footage is freely available to the public; any "accidental" damage to cameras is a termination offense, and any footage that gets "lost" means precinct administration is permanently terminated without benefits.

We've spent the last several decades watching the police use their unions for nothing more than shielding themselves from every conceivable offense while draining communities of money to allow them to multiply the violence they can inflict. The police have proven they deserve zero power. If they have a problem with not being allowed to object to not using brutal and unnecessary force in every situation, fuck 'em. Fire the cop the with zero benefits. We need to make it abundantly clear that racist jack-booted thugs will not be allowed to abuse freely because they have a badge.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Jombalaya wrote: »
    For the people that think all cops are bastards, have you tried getting to know the people that police your community?

When I was a teenager, one of the things we did was make sure the cops in Sarepta, LA never got their hands on our black classmates, because they were all in the Klan.

Over the last few months as crime has overwhelmed uptown Charlotte and the local cops corralled several hundred people into a parking garage 3 blocks from my house and then attacked them with tear gas, pepper spray, and rubber bullets while they had no escape from the structure, I'd started to get to know them. They're the sort of people who will ignore constant street crime and refuse to enforce traffic laws in uptown, but they will definitely suppress protests with violence, then "apologize" for it, and then deliver no consequences to anyone. It's harder now though, because the cops always refuse to wear a mask so even though they spend a lot of time in the Starbucks in the bottom of my building, I can't get close enough to talk to them (and also I can't go in Starbucks anymore because there are unmasked cops in there every day).

So I guess the answer to that is yes!

spool32 on
    Yeah, the big step to stop cop brutality is to completely strip them of their power. Dissolve the unions completely and, at a minimum, fire every cop with a questionable past. Establish a Federal database that tracks all cops that are fired. Make it illegal to hire fired cops again in any precinct. Put mandatory prison time on any proven abuse of power, and force precincts to continue investigating charges even if a cop resigns first to avoid getting something on their record. Cops never get to turn off their own bodycams, and all bodycam footage is freely available to the public; any "accidental" damage to cameras is a termination offense, and any footage that gets "lost" means precinct administration is permanently terminated without benefits.

We've spent the last several decades watching the police use their unions for nothing more than shielding themselves from every conceivable offense while draining communities of money to allow them to multiply the violence they can inflict. The police have proven they deserve zero power. If they have a problem with not being allowed to object to not using brutal and unnecessary force in every situation, fuck 'em. Fire the cop the with zero benefits. We need to make it abundantly clear that racist jack-booted thugs will not be allowed to abuse freely because they have a badge.

I agree with most of this but... no. There should be civilian-run oversight committees that have free and full access, sure. But I vehemently disagree that anyone should be able to look at any and all body camera footage. That would be a gross violation of the privacy of every person with whom the police have interactions with.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I agree with most of this but... no. There should be civilian-run oversight committees that have free and full access, sure. But I vehemently disagree that anyone should be able to look at any and all body camera footage. That would be a gross violation of the privacy of every person with whom the police have interactions with.

Yes, I agree with that point, I should've been more specific that public should be the people involved in the incident, i.e., victims, direct family, investigators, etc; if those people choose to release the footage, it's up to them because it's their footage. Having bodycam footage be a "anybody can comb all this footage to make disgusting videos about people getting beaten or shot" free-for-all situation would be awful, certainly.

The point is to make it emphatically clear to cops that they have zero fucking control over who sees what they do, so they had better not fuck around because somebody will see it and attempting to block the footage is an automatic termination and a prison sentence.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Cops never get to turn off their own bodycams, and all bodycam footage is freely available to the public; any "accidental" damage to cameras is a termination offense, and any footage that gets "lost" means precinct administration is permanently terminated without benefits.

And what happens if there's accidental damage to cameras, or footage is accidently lost, then? If you force police departments to cover up mistakes, then that makes them care less about needing to cover up actual abuses.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Cops never get to turn off their own bodycams, and all bodycam footage is freely available to the public; any "accidental" damage to cameras is a termination offense, and any footage that gets "lost" means precinct administration is permanently terminated without benefits.

And what happens if there's accidental damage to cameras, or footage is accidently lost, then? If you force police departments to cover up mistakes, then that makes them care less about needing to cover up actual abuses.

In any of those cases, police should be assumed to be at fault. They have options to mitigate this if they care.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

In any of those cases, police should be assumed to be at fault. They have options to mitigate this if they care.

Redundancies are a thing

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I've outlined a couple times in these threads how the tech exists right here and now to allow simultaneous streaming and recording to allow redundancies for basically non stop recording for 4k video for 8 hour shifts. I use to to help film surgeries in the OR already. Make it so cops can only turn on the cameras, never stopping the recording manually.

Make any bathroom/food break require a radio in to disable the camera remotely, and any incident that occurs in a break period triggers an automatic 3rd party investigation, with the officer suspended without pay for the duration.

Camera units go into a secure drop box at end of day to be sent to a centralized third party processor for footage ingestion. Any discrepancies or signs of tampering triggers automatic review and comparison of all of that officers footage for the past month.

Live stream monitoring by software alert oversight monitors for any potential issues (static image, black screen, loss of connection, etc) that requires radio check in and clearance and triggers automatic review of the footage.

In the event of any major discrepancies the officers are investigated as if they are at fault.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    You'd also have to be pretty damn sure the cameras are physically secure, because if someone else manages to damage the only camera present, they'll become temporarily unarrestable.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    When people ask "But what about the good cops?" ask them who defends them from the bad cops. Spoiler: no one does, sure as hell not the union. Older story I hadn't seen til now, good example:
    https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/blue-lies-matter-ex-phoenix-cop-sergio-virgillo-told-the-truth-about-killer-cop-richard-chrisman-inciting-the-wrath-of-local-police-union-plea-8600030

Summary: two cops respond to a domestic violence call. After interviewing one person, they go to talk to the other. Despite not having a warrant, the lead officer (Chrisman) crashes in anyway, followed by Virgillo. When the person they came to talk to objects, Chrisman puts a gun to his head. In the argument that follows, Chrisman tries to shoot the guy's dog in the back, hits it's ear, then kills it as it turns to WTF. Then he kills the owner who was backing away hands over his head.

Virgillo, meanwhile, has been responding to all this trying to deescalate and mostly failing because well, his partner is a murderous jackass. And filled a trailer with pepper spray. At trial, Chrisman lies under oath, saying he never held the gun to the resident's head. Despite the gun barrel shaped dent in the guy's head.

The other cops respond thus:
    In the weeks after the Rodriguez shooting, the PPD was looking to fire Chrisman, just as Chrisman desperately sought to keep his job with the assistance of PLEA. Chrisman was a PLEA member; Virgillo was not. Officers are not required to be members of the union, but the union, under its memorandum of understanding with the city of Phoenix, technically represents all Phoenix cops.

Still, PLEA quickly chose sides in the cop-versus-cop dispute, bailing out the dues-paying Chrisman, securing him the assistance of Phoenix attorney Craig Mehrens, and revving up a public campaign to defend Chrisman’s name while trashing Virgillo’s. In statements to the media, on its website, and in its monthly newsletter, the union’s leadership contended that Chrisman had been left alone by Virgillo during the encounter with a drug-crazed Rodriguez. Chrisman acted in self-defense, PLEA claimed.

They also dug up dirt on Virgillo's wife and otherwise gave him so much shit he quit, while allowing the murder to do this:
    Something else was hinky about Chrisman’s PSB interviews. They were delayed a week, because, before he bailed out of the Maricopa County Jail, Chrisman told PSB detectives that he had not had enough sleep and shouldn’t be interviewed yet.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Police union head defends the indefensible:

“He made a decision there that he thought was the best action to take. It resulted in no injury to her."

— Rochester police union president Mike Mazzeo on the officer who pepper-sprayed a 9-year-old girl
    The author is the Rochester local paper.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Also cue surprise, Rittenhouse appears to be skipping bail. He moved without notifying the court, and prosecutors are requesting an arrest warrant.

https://www.wisn.com/article/prosecutors-kyle-rittenhouse-violated-conditions-of-release/35410096

“He made a decision there that he thought was the best action to take. It resulted in no injury to her."

— Rochester police union president Mike Mazzeo on the officer who pepper-sprayed a 9-year-old girl

The greatest gift the Bush administration gave these people was the argument that anything that doesn't leave a permanent scar is not harmful.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Also cue surprise, Rittenhouse appears to be skipping bail. He moved without notifying the court, and prosecutors are requesting an arrest warrant.

https://www.wisn.com/article/prosecutors-kyle-rittenhouse-violated-conditions-of-release/35410096
    They asked the judge to increase Rittenhouse's bail by $200,000 for the violation and issue a warrant for his arrest.

So basically they're calling for a wrist slap.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular

As a Rochester local, Mike Mazzeo being a corrupt wad of shit is definitely not new news.

We're in desperate need of replacing out current leadership next time the primaries come around, and hopefully then we can get some folks into office that will actually do something. As is, our mayor's been indicted by the state for campaign finance fuckery, and was disgustingly silent when protests for Daniel Pride were going on when they were accused of knowing about it months before and doing nothing.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    For the people that think all cops are bastards, have you tried getting to know the people that police your community?

Yes, and getting to know a piece of shit doesnt stop them from being a piece of shit.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

Yes, and getting to know a piece of shit doesnt stop them from being a piece of shit.

Personally I'm left wonder if any of the SPD officers I've ever had the misfortune of interacting with are among the 5 (that we know of) who were at the January Insurrection. They're all bad and lazy!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Pepper spray doesn't hurt!" Then why is it a suppression tool? May as well take it away right?

Fuck the police.

"Pepper spray doesn't hurt!" Then why is it a suppression tool? May as well take it away right?

Fuck the police.

He said no injury, not doesn't hurt. Not the same. Especially from a police perspective; a lot of them would love a tool that lets them hurt people indefinitely yet leaves no marks as evidence. It's why they abuse Tasers so much.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't think the legal definition of injury requires evidence to remain of the pain visible to others. Unless that's what "bodily harm" as a legal term exists to cover.

Regardless, the police union is scummy as shit.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Fuck the police.

He said no injury, not doesn't hurt. Not the same. Especially from a police perspective; a lot of them would love a tool that lets them hurt people indefinitely yet leaves no marks as evidence. It's why they abuse Tasers so much.

Yeah, the fact that the only tool they had to deal with a 9-year-old was pain compliance is...well, it's a thing. Just no other tool in the box, really.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Fuck the police.

Yeah, the fact that the only tool they had to deal with a 9-year-old was pain compliance is...well, it's a thing. Just no other tool in the box, really.

When the only tool you have is abuse, everyone looks like a victim.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/prosecutors-request-arrest-warrant-kyle-rittenhouse-after-he-allegedly-violates-n1256667
    Mark Richards, an attorney for Rittenhouse, filed a response to the motion and provided NBC News with a copy Wednesday evening. According to the motion, Rittenhouse was moved to an undisclosed safe house by his previous defense attorney, John Pierce, after the teenager received numerous threats.

"While completing paperwork related to Kyle’s release, Attorney Pierce was directly informed by a high-ranking member of the Kenosha Police Department not to provide the address of the Rittenhouse Safe House because of the numerous threats made against Kyle and his family," the response said.
    What.

What.

They think they can just not notify the prosecutors?

edited February 2021
    Oh it's worse. They did notification- to the extent of asking for the record to he hidden. When the ADA said no, ask the judge for an exception to public records laws if you think he's in danger..

..they simply moved him anyway and didn't say anything. Also this was before he went to a bar.

Phoenix-D on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Anyone got any information on the seal in the background?

Cause if that's not a generic government thing, and is law enforcement specific, it seems like 2020 isn't done with it's hack writing.

Locust Club representing a swarm of loud pests that devastates communities, and are a plague on society?

Yeah, that's a little too on the nose.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Cause if that's not a generic government thing, and is law enforcement specific, it seems like 2020 isn't done with it's hack writing.

Locust Club representing a swarm of loud pests that devastates communities, and are a plague on society?

I would be more concerned with the fascines with an axe. Those either mean "we get to execute people" or "fascism".

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

I would be more concerned with the fascines with an axe. Those either mean "we get to execute people" or "fascism".

The fasces is a way older symbol then fascism and is all over the place in a ton of heraldry because of it's origin with the greeks and romans. It's on a ton of seals and such in the US and elsewhere. It's not really that weird or ominous for it to show up in this kind of thing.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The fasces is a way older symbol then fascism and is all over the place in a ton of heraldry because of it's origin with the greeks and romans. It's on a ton of seals and such in the US and elsewhere. It's not really that weird or ominous for it to show up in this kind of thing.
    Yes, and to the romans, fascines with an axe mean "we get to execute people". Without a trial, in fact. It's the kind of symbol that might need to go.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Yes, and to the romans, fascines with an axe mean "we get to execute people". Without a trial, in fact. It's the kind of symbol that might need to go.

Not really. And in heraldry it's traditionally been a symbol of unity and order and law. This is why it's all over the place in western iconography centuries before fascism was a thing. It's kinda like the blindfolded chick with the scales.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

The greatest gift the Bush administration gave these people was the argument that anything that doesn't leave a permanent scar is not harmful.

good god this police union would say the same thing if a cop had molested a child but not left a bruise on them

what a scumbag

override367 on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

They asked the judge to increase Rittenhouse's bail by $200,000 for the violation and issue a warrant for his arrest.

So basically they're calling for a wrist slap.

Rittenhouse was never going to get anything more than a slap on the wrist, him and people like him serve a function for the police: violence against the protestors by proxy

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    If the cops have to come get him does that mean mr mypillow loses the entire $2mil or do you get that back at trial regardless of how you got there

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.