As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Gotta hand it to them Bandai knows what people want.

BOOOOO get off the stage!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I will say though the action base connector port for the hand mode on those guys is some hot trash. It's shaped to basically only work with a certain connector from the new action bases, else it just spins around on it.

I didn't have a free one of those and ended up having to stick like 3 adaptors together on an old action base 2 to make it work.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    More Option stuff to go with Samurai and Ninja:

And if you want to make that big shuriken for the ninja, buy four of these: https://gunpla.fandom.com/wiki/1/144_Option_Weapon_1_for_Rabiot

Renzo on
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Anyone have recommendations for a short straight-edge for cutting? I'm finding with my decals that I want to eliminate the risk of freehanding it, and after seeing that Adam Savage video of him using a metal-edged straightedge, I kind of want something like that. Something that won't hurt the decals I lay it over, but will keep a solid edge for my x-acto knife and not be cut into. Ideally it would be 4-6" or metric equivalent, as even a foot long would be annoying.

Edit: ooh, these would be perfect if I could get them in 1/60, 1/72, 1/100, and 1/144. I know a lot of those are standards, but still! https://masterpiecemodels.com/product/scale-rulers-4pack/

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Is that from the new movie or am I forgetting where it showed up?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    It showed up briefly in 2.0 and never again

OHHHH right

X22wmuF.jpg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i'm glad eva is getting modern kits but i haaate the proportions on the movie designs >:o

uc3ufTB.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The horn on that thing is wild

Four colors to one mold

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

Cybuster will be the first Bandai High Grade Super Robot Wars OG kit

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited February 2021
    The Full Mechanics 1/100 line from IBO makes a return for its first non-IBO suit: Seed’s Calamity Gundam

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited February 2021
    ofh59ouqjilt.jpeg

Cybuster will be able to do the Cybird transformation

Also: the Cat option/bit things
    fd4z9oaa5hgd.jpeg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Words cannot describe how excited I am for affordable SRW kits

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I know these transformations usually aren’t very complex, but all I can see is it lying down with its arms crossed.

Oh, wait, I missed the mechanical penis as the bird’s head.

:P

I forgot about this, I’m guessing these are candy figures

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    i'm glad eva is getting modern kits but i haaate the proportions on the movie designs >:o

Their torsos are exactly one segment too long.

And so it continues. I’ve started looking at paints. Oh, I tell myself I just just want to get some brushes and do it by hand...ha! I’d say I’ll probably have an airbrush by the end of the year, but I don’t really have anywhere to vent. The basement only has 2 windows, they don’t open and neither are near where I want to get a more permanent modeling station set up.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I want those inner figures on the evas

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Unicorn, Unicorn, Unicorn.

Why did your "Full Armor" mode decide to embody the concept of "The Best Defense is a Strong Offense?"

Seriously, I think you are putting Heavyarms to shame!

YhyP8rxh.jpg

... Yes, that white spot is a decal. Yes, everything on those gatling beams has to be replicated 6x times.

... YES, there is going to be a decal that goes on each barrel of the gatling guns. Meaning 24 decals.

Got another gunpla mystery, if someone has experience with this.

I'm on decal 52 of the PG Unicorn sheet. It's the same one for both the Full Armor and Final Battle Unicorns, because why make two distinct sets? But interestingly, I can't find anywhere where 52 is called out. So far every decal I've done has had a specific home, either on the Unicorn proper or on its weapons. But not here.

52 is 2x of a very large warning style sticker. If I didn't know better, I'd say it went on the 3x rocket launchers that mount to the bazookas, because of the size and the count. It's also one of the few places where that big of a sticker could go and actually look natural. But the diagram only says decals 39, 40, 53, and 54 go on there.

If anyone else has this kit, or experience with it... do you happen to know where these go?

6JKFleth.jpg

Of course, none of the photographs on the box or the manual show pictures with the decals applied, because who would be insane enough to do that? I mean, I'm only 1/5 of the way through already and I'm already on the 50s.

P-Bandai is doing free shipping coupons for a valentines event.

List of eligible items. Not a lot of Gundam stuff in there, just some Converge figures and post card books (???). But there's some other stuff folk might be interested in.

Give that special someone the best valentines present, horny anime monster girl wall scrolls.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Got another gunpla mystery, if someone has experience with this.

I'm on decal 52 of the PG Unicorn sheet. It's the same one for both the Full Armor and Final Battle Unicorns, because why make two distinct sets? But interestingly, I can't find anywhere where 52 is called out. So far every decal I've done has had a specific home, either on the Unicorn proper or on its weapons. But not here.

52 is 2x of a very large warning style sticker. If I didn't know better, I'd say it went on the 3x rocket launchers that mount to the bazookas, because of the size and the count. It's also one of the few places where that big of a sticker could go and actually look natural. But the diagram only says decals 39, 40, 53, and 54 go on there.

If anyone else has this kit, or experience with it... do you happen to know where these go?

6JKFleth.jpg

Of course, none of the photographs on the box or the manual show pictures with the decals applied, because who would be insane enough to do that? I mean, I'm only 1/5 of the way through already and I'm already on the 50s.

Could be they recycle the decal sheet on the Banshee or Phenex and it comes from one of those. Or it's just an optional thing you can slap on those missile launchers or in place of 53 and 54.

steam_sig.png
    It might be recycled from the Phenex, but I highly doubt it. And it's definitely not the Banshee's.

Here's my PG Unicorn decal sheets I have now.

Top: Banshee (from the option kit, the original came with stickers)
    Middle: Working copy from Full Armor Unicorn
    Bottom: Backup copy from Final Battle Unicorn

J6cn19Vh.jpg

... I know it'll look better with decals, but *whines* Why couldn't this be easier?

That is to many decals

X22wmuF.jpg
    Look. When I jump into something, I tend to go overboard...

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I disagree that most of those decals will make it look better but that's personal taste

I feel now more sure in my dedication to never use a non-anime-depicted decal than ever before

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    I dont even think it wont make it look better.

Just... dang man I could like read a book or something instead

X22wmuF.jpg
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    ain’t no shame in it, everybody’s got their somethin. and more power to you if the patience for meticulous decaling is there. personally though I try to stay as show/character model accurate as possible

Oh god i just realized those are all water slides aren’t they

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited February 2021
    Looks like some official Zoids releases (re-releases?) got announced by Koto.
    “Christmas” Death Stinger. Hey, it’s red, white, and green. Okay, fine. “Death Stinger ZS”.
    Cannon Tortoise (I think I prefer the way this looks, but I also prefer the colors on the Buster Tortoise)
    Genosaurer

Doctor Detroit on
    Lanz wrote: »
    Oh god i just realized those are all water slides aren’t they

Every single one, yeah. See why I said I wouldn't give regular updates of the process like I did with the building? I want this thread to stick around for a while. :P
    Looks like some official Zoids releases (re-releases?) got announced by Koto.
    “Christmas” Death Stinger. Hey, it’s red, white, and green. Okay, fine. “Death Stinger ZS”.
    Cannon Tortoise (I think I prefer the way this looks, but I also prefer the colors on the Buster Tortoise)
    Genosaurer

Ahh!

The original Cannon Tortoise without the big-ass gun. :)

vL9UosYh.jpg

I really like that ZS color scheme. It's wild and brash. But I already have one of that model and it's impossible to find places to put it.

... which, is really sad for me. See... tomorrow, my Geno Breaker comes. And with that? I'll have all the Koto Zoids I want. Seriously. I'm not into Molga or Iguan, so I'll have some representation of pretty much everything. And that's a bummer, because it doesn't look like Koto is producing any "new" HMM molds for a while. I never thought I'd get here...

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I feel like there's a zen to waterslides. Put on a podcast or a movie or TV show, have a timer nearby if you need it (some 3rd party waterslides seriously need a minute in water before application) and make sure to watch your posture and take breaks. I love all the visual detail you get with decals.

That's what I've found. It's just another step of the ritual. I just want to break up the monotony at this point, and I am still working on accessories! :D

I'll once again advocate for a mug warmer from Bed, Bath, and Beyond though. Helps SO much with speeding up the time for waterslides to release from the paper.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    @Dark Raven X Yeah. Doing some research, it appears that "Super Nova" is a knockoff/reproduction company. The Koto kit is 1/100 and was released in 2016 for $64 US or so. So if they are doing a 1/72 of the same model for like $43-50... I'd say it is pretty much an unlicensed, upscaled knockoff. Just like the 1/50 Death Stinger, I highly suspect they have just taken the Koto molds, upscaled them, and are selling them. Now, I am really curious why so many US importers are selling these, but hey... In the case of the Hayate Liger, it's not in production... Whereas the Death Stinger was just put into production a few months ago.

Supernova is a third party company that makes their own kits in homage to the various series (mostly Gundam Wing). They aren't reproductions, but are entirely new molds. Bandai hasn't gone after them because they are relatively low volume compared to KO companies like Daban or Hongli.

• MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    After building the Leo, I got the urge to re-watch Wing, and then one thing lead to another and here's the HG Wing Gundam!

eowfxjtdpxtw.jpeg

So, in the past I've posted links to the Unicron project, because it gives you a really good sense of how toys are assembled.

Well today, to celebrate Unicron being "on the boat" and shipping out, Hasbro released a whole video showing the assembly process!

Three thoughts went through my mind:

1. Please let those side-cutters be high quality to leave as little nibs as possible.
    2. Of course they use forms and frames for airbrushing on paint, that makes SO MUCH SENSE when you are mass producing things! (I'd wondered how they did it.)
    3. Oh man, drilling in pins and screws. Let none of the workers be tired and do that at an angle or poorly...

Seriously, click through the link and check out the vid.

https://hasbropulse.com/blogs/hasbro-pulse-premium-previews/haslab-war-for-cybertron-unicron-update-5

This discussion has been closed.