As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I wonder if they reached out to that dude who did those solo/coop campaigns back in the day. That system worked pretty well.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Oooh a way to play with myself and use all of these models I have on the shelf. Wait, that doesn't sound right.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    just FYI guys there's a points update coming tomorrow.

Source: the FFG staff told the mods of a Discord server I'm in.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Hey fronds!

Call and check your local.Barnes and Nobles. Many have Xwing 2.0 sets for half off. I picked up Servants of Strife, Sith infiltrator, vulture, and hyena bomber for $60 plus tax.

This wasn't showing online.

oh h*ck
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Turkson wrote: »
    Hey fronds!

Call and check your local.Barnes and Nobles. Many have Xwing 2.0 sets for half off. I picked up Servants of Strife, Sith infiltrator, vulture, and hyena bomber for $60 plus tax.

This wasn't showing online.

Nice! I picked up a Scum Z-95, The Punishing One, and an M3-A for $38 total. Kind of thinking about going back and getting more, I just wish that the Resistance and Rebels factions were discounted as well (only one I saw was the Ghost, which I already have). I have yet to build up a decent Resistance squad and I could use a few more X, B, and Y wings.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    I went back today and grabbed a Ghost, a resistance transport, and a nantex fighter.

oh h*ck
    https://imgur.com/a/7wDq3d0

Next set of ships!

TIE Heavy (Empire)
    Heralds of Hope (two T70 X-Wings with alt paint scheme, RZ-2 A-Wing with alt paint scheme)
    Driod Tri Fighter (Separatists)
    Slave I (Separatists)
    V-Wing (Republic)
    Eta-2 w/ hyperspace ring (Republic)

oh h*ck
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So I highly recommend that you get yourself to Barnes and Noble if you can.

They are clearancing out some of their older X-wing 2.0 (not all of it). Basically half off. So I was able to get doubles of a lot of ships I really wanted, including the Ghost, the Jumpmaster, the VT-49, and a ton of fighters.

Edit: The new ghost is such an improvement on the old one. The base is much more secure (clamping onto a ventral ridge), and of course the shuttle docks.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Yep, still going. Went back a third time and grabbed the Ghost, a gang fighter, a z95 headhunter, and the scum conversion kit.

oh h*ck
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2020
    Interesting announcements from Gencon Online, and it looks like they are really and truly at the end of on-screen ships now.
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/7/30/experience-the-saga/
    The heavy tie from Solo?
    Droid Triwing ship?
    The eta-2 complete with pack in hyperdrive ring?
    The V wing counts as a Tie? Ok actually that is pretty sneaky.
    I don't understand the asymmetry of a squad of 3 ships for the resistance in this wave.
    And... Jango Fett's Slave 1........... O.....k

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    *cough*

Okay, so... I gave my local scene time to raid Barnes and Noble... and not many did.

Soooo...

I just picked up a ton more ships to hit my "at least 2" mantra for most ship classes. There are a few missing ones, like the mining guild TIE, but... all in all I can probably single-handedly field one hell of an epic game now.

Also I picked up the Rebel and Empire conversion kits at half off. Which is good, as there aren't -many- ships I have that many duplicates of, but I would much rather cover my bases, yeah?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Do you think there is any value/reason to keep around 1st edition components at this point? I'm pretty firmly entrenched in 2nd edition, but that naturally means I have all the cards & punchboard. It takes up a lot of room, needless to say.

I highly doubt I'll be able to sell it without the miniatures, and I suspect that in the future if I were to ever get rid of my collection, few people will be looking for the components. But I'm still on the fence of what to do with them.

Thoughts?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Do you think there is any value/reason to keep around 1st edition components at this point? I'm pretty firmly entrenched in 2nd edition, but that naturally means I have all the cards & punchboard. It takes up a lot of room, needless to say.

I highly doubt I'll be able to sell it without the miniatures, and I suspect that in the future if I were to ever get rid of my collection, few people will be looking for the components. But I'm still on the fence of what to do with them.

Thoughts?

Kinda wondering the same thing, actually. I'd love it if someone said, "Yeah, I'll take all the 1E cardboard," because then I could just send it to them, avoiding feeling bad for recycling it all.

Sadly I think that isn't gonna happen. I did get one comment in our local FB group about someone keeping their 1st edition pieces for when the app stops getting updated, or so on. But to be honest, I don't see the X-wing community doing that.. and if I'm being really honest, I bought a lot of these for the models more than the cardboard.

But yeah, it feels so wrong to just toss all that cardboard.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Even if the app stops getting updated, all of the squad builder sites will keep going or get made into offline versions.

Fan communities are continuing to make Netrunner and Doomtown expansions. I could easily see this one doing just fine.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Even if the app stops getting updated, all of the squad builder sites will keep going or get made into offline versions.

Fan communities are continuing to make Netrunner and Doomtown expansions. I could easily see this one doing just fine.

That was my thought too.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/8/26/out-of-the-ashes/

First Order Xi class light shuttle preview article!

oh h*ck
    I'm sad it doesn't have the side pods, but.. well, I'm happy for such an iconic ship to be showing up in the game at all. :)

Sept. 25th is so close now...

• buggybuggersbuggybuggers Registered User regular
    Yeah I was going to say the same thing about the side pods, but it is still a really good design. Did you end up getting it?

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Hey I flew a new ship, the LAAT. Went with generic LAAT with Aayla, Ahsoka with CLT, and two generic ARCs. It was against my friend's Rey-Wings list. I got pretty trounced. I had some very mediocre offensive dice luck (or he got amazing defensive dice luck I suppose) and Rey is shockingly impossible to pin down for a big ass ship. The LAAT ability rarely went off, but Aayla is pretty fucking amazing, especially in concert with Ahsoka. A couple times on of the larger ships would get blocked by the A-Wings, have Ahsoka fly in, give an action to Aayla, and then get the focus and coordinate off and still get mods.

I really like Aayla, I think the base LAAT is overcosted though. The ability (for me in one game granted) felt a lot like Garven's ability, it's just pointless if you don't need the reroll, and then 25% of the time you just reroll back into the blank. Was very frustrating. I think they could scale back on the cost, the LAAT is worse than Sinker for swarms due to the charges and as is there's basically zero reason to have two LAATs in a list so you don't really need to worry about LAAT spam. It also has a fucking god awful dial, god forbid you stress.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Selling all my Gen1 Xwing stuff (which is everything, I never started down the 2nd gen path). Selling it to a buddy who was the one I primarily played real life games with. We had been just finished the co-op campaign like a month before COVID, so I probably hadn't busted my own stuff out in over 18 months previous to COVID. Only things I'm keeping are the two epic scale ships, the Raider and the Corvette. Selling it to him for $100, which isn't too bad, I probably had about $400 into it. Hell I had about $150 stuff still NIB that I bought that I never played. Woof.

It bums me out a bit, but he can play with his kids easier now (My ships will be the 7 year old sons to take care of) and if I want to play real life X-wing I can always just go to his house when this all blows over. Thats the only times I played anyways.

webguy20 on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Sounds like the right move overall.
    My stuff has been more or less relegated to display pieces right now, but I still intend to play again, eventually. I hope to be able to play with my kids eventually too, but that's still a few years away.
    I'm happy enough having my ships on display right now though.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I bought all of mine with the knowledge that they are my super detailed micro machines (aka display pieces). I was starting to play the game at work during lunch with my friends, but yeah that ended with teleworking.

What you did @webguy20 is the best thing to do with them. You get them out of your house, someone else gets to use them (they get loved) and you will still be able to play with them once you are able to. I say that's a win-win in my book.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I bought all of mine with the knowledge that they are my super detailed micro machines (aka display pieces). I was starting to play the game at work during lunch with my friends, but yeah that ended with teleworking.

What you did @webguy20 is the best thing to do with them. You get them out of your house, someone else gets to use them (they get loved) and you will still be able to play with them once you are able to. I say that's a win-win in my book.

Yea, its going to be like early christmas for his son with all the boxed stuff.

Now I am keeping my Armada pieces for display. I do love me some capital ships.

The TTS mod is also very good for playing online if people still want to do that. I would be down for getting in some games and kicking off some rust, especially once the Resistance squad pack and ETA2s release.

Yaaay. The turret of the TIE Heavy actually rotates! That makes me very happy.

I think the TIE Punisher is bigger in terms of overall mass, but these are some serious cannons.

https://www.atomicmassgames.com/special-announcement

So X-Wing, Armada, and Legion are being moved from FFG to Atomic Mass Games. Not sure if this changes anything.

oh h*ck
    FFG / Asmodee just dropped a new version of the squad builder. It's nice!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/11/24/updated-programming/

I went through and added as much of my collection as I could remember owning, and then thumbed through things. It's pretty fast and responsive, fairly pretty, and easy to use. It also has all the things for this Friday's release in there.

A quick browse of the FFG forums shows that it might not live up to some of the unofficial squad builders, but for an official app it is probably the nicest one I've seen Asmodee put together yet.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    It definitely seems much better than it used to be

edited November 2020
    Awwww...

The V-wing's panels don't fold up. That is really sad, but given now that I see how small/fragile they would be, it would have been a miracle to pull that off properly.

But this does make up for it:

qhdcGYOh.jpg

Edit: NIce! The Eta-2 Actis comes with a command card so it can be a squad leader in epic play! Good to see they are still supporting/expanding that.

Athenor on
    Did my own version of small business saturday and grabbed a LAAT gunship at on LGS and Heralds of Hope at another lgs.

I'm a sucker for alternate paint jobs.

oh h*ck
    edited February 2021
    Today, Atomic Mass Games revealed their plans with X-wing, Armada, and Legion.

Regarding X-wing, the products that are in development now were basically those done at FFG last year. They have no plans for an X-wing 3.0 and they are still going to do pre-painted minis. However, they do want to offer more options for people who want to paint -- which to me sounded like primed but not painted minis, which would be cool for army building.

Three new squadron packs were spoiled: One Rebel, One Imperial, and One Scum. It definitely looks like each faction will get its own Squadron Pack going forward ( I think first order is the only one without one at this point?). Rebel was 2 A's and a B, Imperial was 2 Interceptors and a Defender, and Scum was 2 Y's and a HWK. Interestingly, the HWK will be the scum's first force user.

All three packs are hitting Mid-March.

They are hoping to restart organized play. They are looking into maybe some co-op variants, and to play around with various stuff.

Athenor on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly I feel like the Squadron Packs would make nice single-player starters if they ever put dice and templates in there. They've definitely got a ton of space in those boxes.

I think it was mentioned that one avenue they were looking at for unpainted versions of minis were convention exclusives.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited February 2021
    https://imgur.com/a/rJn1fAa

here is an imgur gallery of the three new squadron packs. All packs are recolors. An i6 Hera Syndulla B-Wing is amazing.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Honestly I feel like the Squadron Packs would make nice single-player starters if they ever put dice and templates in there. They've definitely got a ton of space in those boxes.

I think it was mentioned that one avenue they were looking at for unpainted versions of minis were convention exclusives.

The damage decks, dice, obstacles, and templates are already available for sale separately, so you can still use them as a starter. I don't see the benefit of increasing the cost when it is already possible to DIY your own starter set when a majority of people buying these will be people who already have too many of those.

Other cool notes from the stream: I6 Ciena Ree in the int, I4 Wedge in the A-Wing, I3 Sabine in the A-Wing, Kanan in the scum Hwk.

New Separatist epic ship announced. Unleash the kraken!

oh h*ck
    edited March 2021
    Spelljammer says what?

Real Q, though: are those AI cards?

Elvenshae on
    DAMNIT ASMODEE WHY DO YOU KEEP HURTING ME LIKE THIS!

Got to play a simplified version of X-Wing tonight, because I was "teaching" the game via Tabletop Simulator to a collection of 9 year-olds.

They, in X-Wings, had to fly through an asteroid field and raid an Imperial supply depot protected by a patrol of 4 whole TIE Fighters. They had to get close enough to the containers to ID the one with the secret plans and blow it up with a torpedo. (They could also use a torpedo to one-shot a TIE Fighter.)

On the "last turn," they ID'd the proper container and got into torpedo range. Two simultaneous torpedo shots detonated the container, earning the Rebels the win. Much virtual high-fiving ensued.

All in all, went really well, and really makes me wish I got to play the real thing of this more often.