As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WandaVision] Yakety Yak! Open Spoilers!

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    Quick one from a non-US viewer here... the ‘80s style in ep5 was obvious enough, but were there any major sitcoms it was riffing on? It didn’t really make me think of anything in particular, in the way that the previous time periods had a few obvious connections, but that could just be because I’m not as familiar with the TV of that period.

The thing that seemed most noticeable was the change in laugh track - it was much less overt in this episode. Was that the kind of thing that family sitcoms did at this point? Cheers is probably my only reference point, and that was pretty laugh-heavy.

There was also more... sentimentalism, I guess is the best word? Was this also the kind of thing family sitcoms did back then, or was this because it was a “Very Special Episode”?
    Aesthetically it reminded me of Family Ties the most, but it wasn’t as close as previous homes.

And yes, 80’s sitcoms where thick with sentimentality.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Oh. I hadn't actually made the connection between this being titled a "Very Special Episode" and the sitcom trope. Of course the dog died during a "Very Special Episode".

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's also such a trope for the long lost, perhaps even once written off family member to be reintroduced, especially if they've been recast for whatever reason. The writers must have had a blast putting the pieces together for this one. Or like, Leo Dicaprio showing up in Growing Pains for no reason, that kinda stunt casting for ratings. It's a fun genre romp still even as things get meta and reference the real world of the MCU and the actual real world merger of Fox and Disney (truly the most Eldritch horror we've witnessed irl)

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I mean, on brand of Disney to sell a nazi watch, but no thank you

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Honestly if that watch is really $25, that's got to be a pretty sad timepiece. I wouldn't expect any sort of quality out of something at that price point, especially a piece of pop culture tie-in merch.

steam_sig.png
    If I'm ever accused of having good taste someone shoot me

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm wondering how they're going to show Quicksilver's powers. I'm guessing they'll do it proper TV-sitcom-budget style, so he'll either just blur and that's it, or everyone else will just stand very still (but not frozen, obviously) while he runs around the set at normal speed in a no-budget recreation of the movies.
    I want to see it done so badly, so badly.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Point about the Strucker watch - it’s green and gold, you can buy the official merchandise of it. Lines up with the Eye of Agamotto.

Wait you can buy the watch?

Sure can. (random WandaVision merch, potential spoilers beware).

Hahaha

upon that page loading all I could hear is Mel Brooks yelling "Merchandising, merchandising, merchandising!"

klemming wrote: »
    I'm wondering how they're going to show Quicksilver's powers. I'm guessing they'll do it proper TV-sitcom-budget style, so he'll either just blur and that's it, or everyone else will just stand very still (but not frozen, obviously) while he runs around the set at normal speed in a no-budget recreation of the movies.
    I want to see it done so badly, so badly.

https://youtu.be/vVrjh-1CTtQ

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    This show just reminded me of one of my favorite renditions of a great theme song:
    https://youtu.be/sNz1e3PWqo0

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Quick one from a non-US viewer here... the ‘80s style in ep5 was obvious enough, but were there any major sitcoms it was riffing on? It didn’t really make me think of anything in particular, in the way that the previous time periods had a few obvious connections, but that could just be because I’m not as familiar with the TV of that period.

The thing that seemed most noticeable was the change in laugh track - it was much less overt in this episode. Was that the kind of thing that family sitcoms did at this point? Cheers is probably my only reference point, and that was pretty laugh-heavy.

There was also more... sentimentalism, I guess is the best word? Was this also the kind of thing family sitcoms did back then, or was this because it was a “Very Special Episode”?
    Aesthetically it reminded me of Family Ties the most, but it wasn’t as close as previous homes.

The painting part was Family ties. The pictures of the actors as kids was Growing pains. The picnic in the grass with the family running towards the camera at the end was appropriately enough Full House. I mean you couldn't homage a 80s family sitcom without referencing the Olsen Twins biggest hit in some way. I would have expected the writers to be fired if they didn't.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

The painting part was Family ties. The pictures of the actors as kids was Growing pains. The picnic in the grass with the family running towards the camera at the end was appropriately enough Full House. I mean you couldn't homage a 80s family sitcom without referencing the Olsen Twins biggest hit in some way. I would have expected the writers to be fired if they didn't.

That last one made me laugh because yes Elizabeth Olsen is the younger sister of the Olsen twins so I was both 100% expecting it and also not sure if they'd go there.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    I can buy a Nazi watch but not that fucking toaster.
    Way to go Disney

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    This show just reminded me of one of my favorite renditions of a great theme song:
    https://youtu.be/sNz1e3PWqo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

I can buy a Nazi watch but not that fucking toaster.
    Way to go Disney

If sigs were still a thing this would be mine.

Also I've gone back and rewatched the briefing scene talking about Wanda storming S.W.O.R.D. to steal vision, and aren't they saying that Wanda is the one breaking Visions living will and violating the Sokovia accords?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yup. Anything to make her sound as bad as possible. Just ignore the fact that he was totally in pieces when she found him.

sig.gif
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Yes. The Sokovia Accords is pretty clear. Used her powers in an unauthorized mission against a government agency if a signatory country, and then against the residents of same, petty exactly what the accords are for.

The living will is less clear, since she's not using him as a weapon, she's using him as a TV prop. It's not clear if the living will had clauses about life prolonging or resuscitation, only the clause about being used as a weapon is mentioned.

Hevach on
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Also I've gone back and rewatched the briefing scene talking about Wanda storming S.W.O.R.D. to steal vision, and aren't they saying that Wanda is the one breaking Visions living will and violating the Sokovia accords?

Yeah but this is the guy who had a dissected Vision in his secret facility and just decided to mention the break in when he thought he could make Wanda look more like an unhinged terrorist

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    "This is everything bad she did (don't ask about the bad stuff we were doing), so she's the bad guy."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    "This is everything bad she did (don't ask about the bad stuff we were doing), so she's the bad guy."

I wasnt keen on him to start but this latest episode really cemented him as an actual villian

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Did Wanda ever actually sign The Sokovia Accords?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Shadowhope wrote: »

The U.S. is a signatory to the accords.

Its an international treaty she wouldnt have to sign it juat be part of the military body of a country that did

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Growing Pains, little bit of Full House

uH3IcEi.png
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    By the time Endgame rolls around even Warmachine treats the Accords as a joke.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Its an international treaty she wouldnt have to sign it juat be part of the military body of a country that did

Is she part of a military body associated with a specific nation? Does she ultimately have the American President as her commander in chief? What's her rank?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

The biggest influences were Family Ties (the paint brush in the opening)
    https://youtu.be/ip1szfz9nZ8
    Growing Pains (the kids pictures)
    https://youtu.be/bRvzm51EaKo
    And Full House (the picnic ending shot of the theme)
    https://youtu.be/go_GhZqNuus
    The theme borrowing aspects made it pretty explicit but it's definitely of that style too. The set was very like Full House and Growing Pains with some decorating from Family Ties

Elizabeth Olsen is also the sister of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen who became major kid stars from Full House.

Edit I've changed my mind like 3 times but now I think its really family ties set with full house more than growing pains. But the influences are pretty strong all around

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I literally just had a thought RE: Multiverse stuff and other prominent deaths in the MCU:
    Disney's gone on record that they aren't recasting Chadwick Boseman as T'challa. But could they use this multiverse stuff to introduce a world where he was able to save and reform Killmonger? Or.. well, save, but maybe not fully reform? Bring Michael B Jordan back, is what I mean. I want Shuri to be the next Black Panther and headline her own movie, but... man.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Also that preview image being of Lori Loughlin, knowing what we know now? Oof.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I literally just had a thought RE: Multiverse stuff and other prominent deaths in the MCU:
    Disney's gone on record that they aren't recasting Chadwick Boseman as T'challa. But could they use this multiverse stuff to introduce a world where he was able to save and reform Killmonger? Or.. well, save, but maybe not fully reform? Bring Michael B Jordan back, is what I mean. I want Shuri to be the next Black Panther and headline her own movie, but... man.

this is a great idea.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Can we have Hawkeye walk into the Hex with his current Avengers costume, only to have it turned into the purple comic costume (with the silly cap)?

Hawkeye is maybe the best possible person to have talk to Wanda but I guess he won't because they can't afford him. Looking forward to the dumb reason they have for that.

He came out of retirement to rescue her once.

It's not about the money for Renner; he can't afford to spend time away from developing the Jeremy Renner App 2.0

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.

What? That rich people use money to get what they want?

I never understood the shock. Isn't this common knowlege?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Can we have Hawkeye walk into the Hex with his current Avengers costume, only to have it turned into the purple comic costume (with the silly cap)?

Hawkeye is maybe the best possible person to have talk to Wanda but I guess he won't because they can't afford him. Looking forward to the dumb reason they have for that.

He came out of retirement to rescue her once.

It's not about the money for Renner; he can't afford to spend time away from developing the Jeremy Renner App 2.0

There's also some possibility that he's a shithead, but I don't think that's been confirmed yet. At the least there's some real messiness with his ex-wife and abuse allegations, so that might push Disney away from him at least for now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

What? That rich people use money to get what they want?

I never understood the shock. Isn't this common knowlege?

Who said anything about shocked? You can be completely unsurprised and still pissed that the rich are allowed and even encouraged to be assholes on a truly despicable scale.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Holy shit I forgot about Quack Fu

Also, you forgot he is S tier in seduction. What chance do Wanda or Captain Marvel or Captain America have against the Duck who seduced Leah Thompson at the height of her powers?

steam_sig.png
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    see317 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well I'd say you'd bring in an avenger less to fight her and more to convince her what she's doing is wrong. Honestly Banner would probably be the best for that considering of all avengers who knows what its like to run from your problems and just let your emotions control yourself.

And then if shit goes wrong hulk could in theory survive her rage.

I wonder if Banner would get turned into a human again if he walked into the Hex?

50:50 on whether he becomes an ALF style puppet or just Ruffalo in body paint.

How great would it be if they got Ferrigno to paint up again for the role?

I saw him at a convention a couple years ago. He's still HUGE and would immediately fit right in as older Hulk.

Chiselphane on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Can someone remind me what the Sokovia Accords were?

And also spoil the entirety of Age of Ultron in excessively granular detail? 50,000 words or more, please.

Seriously, Age of Ultron is probably my least favorite MCU film and I remember roughly 0% of it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Drez wrote: »

And also spoil the entirety of Age of Ultron in excessively granular detail? 50,000 words or more, please.

Seriously, Age of Ultron is probably my least favorite MCU film and I remember roughly 0% of it.

it essentially breaks down to:

- if you have powers you can't use them unless you are a registered agent of the government
    - if you have invented technology that is way beyond the current status quo you cannot use it or have it unless you are a registered agent of the government
    - simply possessing technology of that status is also not ok

Basically, if you have the ability to be a superhero, either through innate powers or designed tech, you have to be linked in some way to a nation-state, in order to have culpability/liability for your actions.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    Drez wrote: »

Sokovia Accords are a legal framework governing superheroes.

Essentially like a Geneva convention for Supes.

It's essentially another take on the Keene act from Watchmen, or The Boys from The Boys.