As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] A Very Aeldari Christmas

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Regarding the discussion earlier about wanting a squad of Warriors with Devourers, I’m now not sure.

Now that I’m looking at the profiles and points, paying 2pts more for +6” range, +1 strength and AP -1 seems very worth it. 18” range is very short, S4 to S5 means 3+ to wound most other infantry, and AP -1 is always helpful.

What's the difference in rate of fire? Nids can kill infantry just fine, the issue is high toughness stuff where the difference between S4 and S5 is usually meaningless but an extra shot is huge.

No difference in rate of fire. However, my main opponent is Dark Eldar.

S5 makes them wound Raiders on a 4+ rather than 5+. Also keeps the wound roll a 3+ if Wracks appear, and a 4+ if Grotesques are in play.

In my case, S5 actually sees a meaningful impact.

-1 Ap is real nice when his save goes from 5+ to 6+. 1/3 to 1/6 save can make a difference. 6+ saves are negated entirely.

24” is much nicer then 18” when you’ve got Wyches running you down.

Deathspitters are just better for me.

Yeah now that I'm home and can look at Battlescribe for two points I can't imagine why you'd ever take the Devourers. I'd have sworn that Deathspitters went to like Assault 1 Blast in 9E.
    Vanguard wrote: »
    The lack of AP really hurts Dakkafexes IMO. I usually prefer to run them with an acid maw so that they can race up the field and pick off 1-2 models a turn before shredding something in CC.

At this point almost everything you really, really want to kill fast has an invuln or other survivability trick anyway. You pay a pretty ridiculous premium for AP -2 or -3 that still bounces off on a 4+. All other things being equal I'd much prefer to have an extra shot than -1 AP.

uH3IcEi.png
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I’m buying some Death Guard models tomorrow; definitely planning on getting the Combat Patrol box to add to my Dark Imperium collection. I’m looking for suggestions on how to fill out 2000 points as I write out my shopping wishlist. I’d like to go Harbringers with Typhus and two big blocks of Poxwalkers and min-sized squad of bolter Plague Marines for my troop choices. Any suggestions on what else to field? I was thinking of buying a pair of Plagueburst Crawlers and Myphic Blighthaulers for ranged support/anti-tank. I need a terminator unit, but I don’t know which brings more synergy or how to kit them out.

Local meta is mostly marine players (shocking, I know), but I’m not terribly concerned since I’ll be moving again in July. I’m mostly interested in a themed army based around Poxwalkers that’s not terrible.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Bought myself a Deathwatch combat patrol, assault intercessors and outriders and a techmarine
    Once I get these built and painted i'm pretty sure I could field 3 entire companies worth of marines

I think I may have a problem.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Bought myself a Deathwatch combat patrol, assault intercessors and outriders and a techmarine
    Once I get these built and painted i'm pretty sure I could field 3 entire companies worth of marines

True. You need 10 companies to have a legion.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I started conservative with the new DG codex, grabbing the book, the cards, and Deathshroud Terminators

Then I played the new book and really started digging knot it

2x plague marines
    1x bloat drone
    1x more deathshrouds
    1x lord of virulence
    1x tallyman
    1x typhus
    1x rhino
    2x chaos spawn

Later. . .

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Space wolves and Black templars question that

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

You mean a chapter; chapters are 10 companies' worth of marines. Legions are bigger still.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

You mean a chapter; chapters are 10 companies' worth of marines. Legions are bigger still.

Well, call me a bloodletter, cause my face is red.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

Well, call me a bloodletter, cause my face is red.

I'm starting to run low on recognizable Transformers for my marines already (which is why im at 350ish already). I don't think i'll get to Chapter size. maybe half a chapter is where i'll stop. Although I suppose I could pad the numbers out with generics, or dudes who appeared in one panel of a comic If I really wanted more

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, the Warhammer 40K app subscription price just dropped 50%, so that’s nice.

Has anyone here actually used battle forge? Is it worth it?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    So, the Warhammer 40K app subscription price just dropped 50%, so that’s nice.

Has anyone here actually used battle forge? Is it worth it?

I couldn’t justify the subscription price if I’m not actively playing games, at a permanent 50% reduction it may tempt me a bit more to actually subscribe to use the battle forge, but at the same time it feels like a bit more effort would find me an alternative free app for that similar to battle scribe or simply use a google doc

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Just a straight up price drop?

Wow GW. Never thought I’d see the day.

Just a straight up price drop?

Wow GW. Never thought I’d see the day.

They ran the numbers and discovered they can get more than twice as many subs at half the price; this is what they call a “no brainer” in business school. Probably closer to 4× as many, actually, based on other apps with a subscription model.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Oh I get it. But I’m an old enough customer to remember their ‘we won’t devalue our product’ malarkey.

I used it a bit: there’s an update coming as advertised on WarCom that specifically calls out some of the problems I found, but currently it’s not something that I would use over BattleScribe. I like the list building layout and think that’s actually a little bit easier to use than BS, but there are some serious errors like charging me double for the Talonmaster’s Twin Autocannons when they’re included in the points cost of the model itself.

While I think a usable list builder is a must for an official product, I don’t see me buying into the app again until it gives me all the faction rules as part of the subscription fee. Honestly the rules for all factions should be free as far as I’m concerned, but I’m willing to pay into a subscription model to play a tabletop game (*cough D&D Beyond cough*) under the fantasy that it supports development of more/better rules. I’m not convinced that there’s any price over “free” that I’m willing to pay for a list builder that isn’t as robust and accurate as currently available fan products.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Speaking of buying rules, I picked up the DA codex yesterday. Goonhammer did they’re review on the codex and the initial consensus was borderline OP, however as I’m doing my own list-building I keep wondering how am I going to get my Deathwing Knights into combat? If I teleport them on Turn 2, I’ve got access to one Warlord trait that increases their charge range by +1” and as far as I can tell that’s it. I’m really surprised they lost Combined Assualt considering how fluffy and mechanically satisfying it was. Similarly there seem to be a bunch of avenues to +1 to hit in shooting, but fewer reroll 1’s (which is now more valuable with the change to how Overcharged Plasma works). And am I wrong in thinking we’re the only chapter to lack a bespoke litany (or did they do away with the others too?) I’m not complaining necessarily: my read on the codexes so far “lots of powerful options, some noticeable lacking ones.” And curbing down how many stratagems and other overlapping buffs powerful units are eligible for is definitely a goal of this edition and better for the game as a whole. On the other hand I can’t help but wonder if there’s going to be some Warzone Charadon detachment ability that adds all those things back in, and if GW’s intent was to spread these rules out to get more sales...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    My Exocrine and Haruspex arrived from Troll Trader.

Oh my, these are big bugs.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Man the multipart eradicators are so nice.

They're so nice that the enjoyment I've derived from painting them drowns out the part of me that feels bad for fielding them.

And ambushing them with Raven Guard stratagem.

With Long Range Marksmen as one of my chapter tactics.

I will field no questions about the presence or absence of Plasma Inceptors in the same list.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    My Exocrine and Haruspex arrived from Troll Trader.

Oh my, these are big bugs.

I like thetrolltrader a lot. Stuff takes a while to arrive since it's literally coming from the other side of the planet, but they have had some really solid deals. It's a good place to look if you want something weird, like a single Endless Spell model or something.

I couldn’t find an Exocrine/Haruspex kit locally anywhere. Suddenly they had 2 Exocrines and a Haruspex built but bare plastic for 50% Australia’s price.

Of course as soon as I bought them, Australia got stock, but I got a 50% discount and building done for me, so no complaints.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I couldn’t find an Exocrine/Haruspex kit locally anywhere. Suddenly they had 2 Exocrines and a Haruspex built but bare plastic for 50% Australia’s price.

Of course as soon as I bought them, Australia got stock, but I got a 50% discount and building done for me, so no complaints.

They’re usually GW only but you’re not missing any option to customize really - these are single pose kits

Yeah, even GW were out of stock of them in Australia basically since Covid hit.

Since you get a free first month for the 40K app I subbed. I thought the changes were already implemented but it looks like they’re not. If I’d actually paid for this months sub for it, I’d have been pretty angry.

List building is faster than BattleScribe, but there’s so many little issues. Like adding a Hive Tyrant and when I go to configure it, I get a blank screen. A few more back/tap on it finally brought it up. Wargear lists randomising their order, so adding the same upgrade to a few models in a unit means scrolling the whole list looking for it. Not having stats/rules on the completed list you can print out.

If they can make this a functional list builder that always has up to date rules, I’ll keep the subscription at the new price. If they can’t, then it’s not worth the cost and I’ll just unsub and go back to BattleScribe.

Thanks for the battle forge feedback… still not sure if I’ll get it since I’m not really playing right now because lockdown.

In other news, the Psychomancer is yet another 3D puzzle mini; the two tentacles it sits on are fully separate and you have to interlock them juuust right or the model will not stand up, much less have the exact gap needed to fit the floaty skull projection bit.

I feel they need to do a series of how to build of some of their minis because the instructions don't quite work or it's easier to do a b f c e d instead

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Speaking of buying rules, I picked up the DA codex yesterday. Goonhammer did they’re review on the codex and the initial consensus was borderline OP, however as I’m doing my own list-building I keep wondering how am I going to get my Deathwing Knights into combat? If I teleport them on Turn 2, I’ve got access to one Warlord trait that increases their charge range by +1” and as far as I can tell that’s it. I’m really surprised they lost Combined Assualt considering how fluffy and mechanically satisfying it was. Similarly there seem to be a bunch of avenues to +1 to hit in shooting, but fewer reroll 1’s (which is now more valuable with the change to how Overcharged Plasma works). And am I wrong in thinking we’re the only chapter to lack a bespoke litany (or did they do away with the others too?) I’m not complaining necessarily: my read on the codexes so far “lots of powerful options, some noticeable lacking ones.” And curbing down how many stratagems and other overlapping buffs powerful units are eligible for is definitely a goal of this edition and better for the game as a whole. On the other hand I can’t help but wonder if there’s going to be some Warzone Charadon detachment ability that adds all those things back in, and if GW’s intent was to spread these rules out to get more sales...

All chapters lost chapter litanies

You don't actually need to use Knights as a first strike, just park five of them on a midboard objective and dare something to try to take it from them.

uH3IcEi.png
    Looking closer at the Haruspex and Exocrone, I really love how GW design their Tyranids. The Tervigon and Tyrannofex body was a scaled down Heirophant. The Exocrone and Haruspex body is a scaled up Carnifex.

I'd like to see them do a scaled up Hive Tyrant for something.

Brainleech wrote: »
    I feel they need to do a series of how to build of some of their minis because the instructions don't quite work or it's easier to do a b f c e d instead

They do an occasional video but definitely not enough. Like for psychoboy; there’s no reason adding part 24 has to be done at step 10. Tbh it could be done literally any time and I certainly found it easier to attach before the tentacles.

Similarly, for painting purposes, you might want to leave parts 9, 10, 13, & 14 (the outer armour panels) off entirely. I’m also leaving the digital skull thing off to paint separately; I’ve got a bunch of colour shifting paints to try on that.

• NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    As someone who's been getting back into building and painting minis it kind of astounds me that GW don't talk about sub assemblies in their painting guides. Like I was reading a painting tutorial on goonhammer and they were like "okay the head, shoulders and backpack of this guy are a different colour so paint them separately and then finish building the mini". It blew my mind because it had never occurred to me to do that despite how much easier it would make painting, even just stuff that's all the same colour. I've stalled out on painting the assault intercessors from the recruit box because I glued them together and now I can't reach stuff because arms and holsters and backpacks are in the way, if I'd known it was an option to leave them off I would've done that!

Weirdly, the Adeptus Titanicus assembly instructions for all Titans specifically point out which bits you might want to paint separately (i.e. all the detachable armour plates)… but then most of the Titan models come with cast-in magnet slots so they are clearly the outlier in several ways.

Nechriah wrote: »
    As someone who's been getting back into building and painting minis it kind of astounds me that GW don't talk about sub assemblies in their painting guides. Like I was reading a painting tutorial on goonhammer and they were like "okay the head, shoulders and backpack of this guy are a different colour so paint them separately and then finish building the mini". It blew my mind because it had never occurred to me to do that despite how much easier it would make painting, even just stuff that's all the same colour. I've stalled out on painting the assault intercessors from the recruit box because I glued them together and now I can't reach stuff because arms and holsters and backpacks are in the way, if I'd known it was an option to leave them off I would've done that!

Realistically, if you can't get to an area with your brush, you're not going to see much of that area anyway if you paint it in sub assemblies and finish building later.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Nechriah wrote: »

The real issue is that modern GW minis aren't designed to be built in sub-asemblies with how complex some of the designs are. It's also an extra layer to something they're trying to keep as simple as possible.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I am very much in the School of "if you cant reach it to paint it, you won't see it."

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    Asher wrote: »
    I am very much in the School of "if you cant reach it to paint it, you won't see it."

But you will ..... You will

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    bd8GEoiW6DxUKHfE.jpg
    jXesMhTWEeSONJzd.jpg

I have... mixed feelings about this, currently. Kabalites going to 4+ is good (but does it mean they lost the 6+++) while gaining another attack is pretty whatever. I'm going to be pretty mad about Wyches if they also don't gain a base attack now.

The Splinter Cannon, however, is a bit more hmm. Going to D2 and becoming Heavy isn't quite what I thought could happen to it, although the new poison sounds like a welcome change. No more wounding T2 models on 4+!

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    For now kabalites get almost better stats than aspect warriors (+1a, -1ld) so that's interesting for things to come on the craftworld side, too.

I bet wytches will get another attack, too.

Splinter cannon kinda depends on how the other special and heavy weapons shake out. It's now less mobile and has half the shots at half range. Right now this lookt like a disintegrator tha changes 2ap and S5 for poison.

honovere on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I would kind of prefer the splinter cannon to have double the shots at half damage tbh

But I’m pretty newb so maybe this is better.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    I think it's less versatile now and will be hard countered by -1d rules the likes of death guard.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The little holes on the sicarian ruststalker swords look good but these things will snap in half for like no reason

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    The other weapons like the dark lance, blaster in various sizes and shredder I am curious about
    The Wyches I am curious and apprehensive about I only have a few wracks and I planed on getting a grotesque and a haemonculus using the venom I get with the SoB/Wyches box to give to the small haemonculus force so I need to get a few more wracks as well as a Talos

I agree the change to the Kabal trooper is interesting now I am rather curious what the craftworlds get down the road

Well, D2 on the shuriken cannon feels like a sure bet right now.

I wonder if disintegrators are going to get a damage or strength boost to differentiate them a bit from the new splinter cannons.