As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy the 14th, where the end of the world is on the way!

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »
    Everyone should run 4 man content blind imo, if they feel like it.

Like it sucks that you wiped/nearly wiped, but expecting people to have to look up story dungeons before they do them is asinine.

What's more asinine - forcing 4 people to do what's normally a 20 minute dungeon in 45-50 minutes (not an exaggeration), or taking about 30 minutes of just your own time to run it/learn it on your own so you can do it properly, especially if it's part of the non-raid endgame grind? Or, better yet, watching a 5 minute guide on YouTube?

The most precious resource anyone has is time. And while MMOs are time sinks by design, actually wasting people's time beyond that makes you an asshole. Full stop. Have some consideration for the people you're playing with.

How many times did you wipe to turn the length of a dungeon from 20 minutes to 45 minutes? At that point you’re looking at a bad player, not someone who didn’t run in Trust/watch a video.

I tank all dungeons blind and I usually only cause wipes once I’ve run it a few times and have the stupidity of confidence.

Also lol @ this whole post. Tanks don’t owe you mastery of the dungeon just because they hit the “queue” button at the same time as you.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    What it literally says is that trusts are for doing dungeons "without the stress of seeking out a party."

You know a major thing that contributes to the stress of seeking out a party? Worrying about assholes bitching you out for making their dungeon run take 15 minutes longer than normal.

Trusts are a good option to have, but they are just that, an option. Dungeons are 100% fine to do blind, and is also the entire reason things like expert roulette exist, to put bodies in queues so that new players can actually do said dungeons. Wiping to a dungeon boss is fine, it happens. Rarely, but it happens. Like, I'm sorry your dungeon run took a bit longer than usual, but complaining about new players polluting your "current non-raid end game content" (which, by the way, is the most absurd description of a patch story dungeon that I have ever heard) is nonsense.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    By the time I return to FFXIV I'll be behind by a patch or two and I plan to run every patch dungeon blind. Anyone who happens to queue with me will see my chat message "first time", and if my previous experience is an indication, the other three party members will be cool with it and get extra tomes as a bonus.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I'm sure I'd be annoyed if it had happened to me. But people don't need to prepare to go through 4-man dungeons. Alliance Raids, sure. But even then, I can't get mad if a few folks don't study up ahead of time.

Most people play these to have a good time, not to take an exam.

Also the tank dying to a boss is almost always recoverable. There are very few individual mistakes in XIV dungeons that automatically wipe your group.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Sounds more like someone was playing drunk or half asleep. I'm sure the other group members provided pointers when they figured out the tank didn't know the dungeon, so if he'd still wipe the group he was just not completely there.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Like it sucks that you wiped/nearly wiped, but expecting people to have to look up story dungeons before they do them is asinine.

What's more asinine - forcing 4 people to do what's normally a 20 minute dungeon in 45-50 minutes (not an exaggeration), or taking about 30 minutes of just your own time to run it/learn it on your own so you can do it properly, especially if it's part of the non-raid endgame grind? Or, better yet, watching a 5 minute guide on YouTube?

The most precious resource anyone has is time. And while MMOs are time sinks by design, actually wasting people's time beyond that makes you an asshole. Full stop. Have some consideration for the people you're playing with.

How many times did you wipe to turn the length of a dungeon from 20 minutes to 45 minutes? At that point you’re looking at a bad player, not someone who didn’t run in Trust/watch a video.

I tank all dungeons blind and I usually only cause wipes once I’ve run it a few times and have the stupidity of confidence.

Also lol @ this whole post. Tanks don’t owe you mastery of the dungeon just because they hit the “queue” button at the same time as you.

We wiped once at the mudman. Almost wiped twice to him. Also almost wiped at the porxie. I had to tank both parts (mudman and porxie) of it as a machinist because it was just me and the healer (who was a rockstar) for a while.

I'm not looking for mastery. I'm looking for basic competence. Like "Gee, these mudballs are tethered to each of us and the rest of the party is standing in front of the conspicuous whirlpools at the edge of the arena... maybe I should do the same?" Not exactly demanding that the tank splits the atom here, but rather that they have a general awareness of their surroundings and a base level of curiosity.

And, yes, I tried to help the tank in question. Problem is, with my disability I can only play on controller. Dunno if you've ever tried it, but it's really difficult to type on a controller, especially when everyone is trying to push. I managed to get out one piece of advice about the water boss (the pipes) before they charged ahead. So it's not like I was just sitting there tsk-tsking them from my ivory tower or whatever.

But, the larger point still stands. Don't waste other people's time. You're playing with 3-7 other people. Be considerate of them. If you're a bad player, ask for help instead of just charging ahead. Look to improve, with guides and running Trusts. You're responsible for how you impact those around you. And it's not like it's harder or any more time intensive than running content blind with people and wiping/nearly wiping repeatedly. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I also can't help but chuckle at how everyone boasts about how easy this content is - and it really is - but then act like I'm somehow being a huge jerk when I get frustrated by people who decide they'd rather demand that 3 other people be subjected to their growing pains, turning said easy content into an ordeal, than simply doing it on their own time.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    People jumped on you because your original post took that uniquely bad experience and turned it into "there is no excuse for tanks, specifically, to queue into 4 man story dungeons without first watching a guide and/or instantly knowing how every mechanic works."

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    What it literally says is that trusts are for doing dungeons "without the stress of seeking out a party."

You know a major thing that contributes to the stress of seeking out a party? Worrying about assholes bitching you out for making their dungeon run take 15 minutes longer than normal.

Trusts are a good option to have, but they are just that, an option. Dungeons are 100% fine to do blind, and is also the entire reason things like expert roulette exist, to put bodies in queues so that new players can actually do said dungeons. Wiping to a dungeon boss is fine, it happens. Rarely, but it happens. Like, I'm sorry your dungeon run took a bit longer than usual, but complaining about new players polluting your "current non-raid end game content" (which, by the way, is the most absurd description of a patch story dungeon that I have ever heard) is nonsense.

That cuts both ways though. Don't want people to complain about the wipes, near wipes, and time lost? Then maybe learn the dungeon before playing with people if you think that could be an issue. That's not unreasonable despite your attempts to paint it as such. There are a variety of ways to completely mitigate that potential stress if it's an issue. Not taking advantage of them is dumb.

It has nothing to do with new people. I've run across a ton of new people who can run that content just fine. They say "I'm new," maybe do smaller trash pulls (which I'm fine with), and do fine on the bosses. Or they ask for help, which is great. It's not a new people problem. It's a "I don't give a shit about the people I play with" problem.

And yes, patch story dungeons are non-raid endgame content. The endgame is when level advancement is no longer the main focus, but rather other activities, like raiding, grinding for tomes/equipment/mounts, etc. It's an accurate description. That you think it's absurd is, frankly, not my problem.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    First off, story dungeons are not endgame content. Endgame does not just mean "max level". There is 0 reason anybody should feel compelled to look up a guide for any of the four person content in this game.

Second, I'd consider getting on somebody's ass for not having watched a guide or whatever for a dang story dungeon to fall under the "don't give a shit about other players" category a lot more than the person running blind.

Sometimes dungeon runs take a bit longer. That's mmos. It happens.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    I just started leveling my very first healer in any MMO ever yesterday to prep for maybe playing Sage

The mere potential of coming across Night’s attitude ingame is why it has nearly given me anxiety attacks to even CONSIDER playing a healer since the days of Vanilla WoW.

You ran into a bad player, it happens. Like watching a healer cast Stone for an entire Nier raid while Im dead in the corner, or a tank never using mitigations, and then saying “lolsorryimnew”

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    1- I've exclusively leveled tanks since starting FF14. When I queue in to any new dungeon for me, I let the party know and ask for any boss abilities.

2- I've had multiple wipes in dungeons and I'm still on HW patch content. Just yesterday our party kept wiping to the Pegasus boss in the dungeon where you fight Hraesvelgr.

We talked through it and checked up on abilities / vids and got through it after one of the DPS left

3- As a grizzled WoW veteran, the FF dungeon queues are the most helpful and forgiving I've experienced and it's no contest. I have friends in ESO and they agree that FF queues have loads less vitriol.

If anyone here feels anxious after this string of posts, send me a PM and I'll take you through dungeons. My max job is still only 71 because I'm leveling 3 tanks at once but having a blast doing it (also GNB is *so bad* sub-60)

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Mrs. Enc and I have joined the realm, characters:
    • Gardenstern Lake
    • Azmaranthe Lake

We're mostly playing together when our schedules allow, but hopefully we can join up with GHOST and eventually join yall in endgame. :)

I'm still looking for you two.

We didn't see anyone on Sunday while we were in the various towns. I'm popping by the trade districts each time the main quests bring us back to town, hopefully the stars will align.

Is there a better way to sign up aside from finding someone on GHOST at the same time as us?

Reigner wrote: »
    I just started leveling my very first healer in any MMO ever yesterday to prep for maybe playing Sage

The mere potential of coming across Night’s attitude ingame is why it has nearly given me anxiety attacks to even CONSIDER playing a healer since the days of Vanilla WoW.

You ran into a bad player, it happens. Like watching a healer cast Stone for an entire Nier raid while Im dead in the corner, or a tank never using mitigations, and then saying “lolsorryimnew”

For sure, I nearly always play tanks in MMOs and am generally comfortable with the mechanics, but being expected to be fucking perfect at it (read: multi pulling every encounter, keeping up with DPS's pace rather than setting the pace, etc.) while having a sprout next to my name and only the Smith's training under my belt on the early training dungeons is a problem I have 100% encountered in my last cycle of playing this game. It's not a fun time, to be sure.

Happily, folks with that attitude seem few and far between in FF14 compared with most mmos.

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    • Gardenstern Lake
    • Azmaranthe Lake

We're mostly playing together when our schedules allow, but hopefully we can join up with GHOST and eventually join yall in endgame. :)

We didn't see anyone on Sunday while we were in the various towns. I'm popping by the trade districts each time the main quests bring us back to town, hopefully the stars will align.

Is there a better way to sign up aside from finding someone on GHOST at the same time as us?

You can also click on the company house's placard to apply I believe.

If you can get to Mist Ward 2, plot 5 you should find it.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    • Gardenstern Lake
    • Azmaranthe Lake

You can also click on the company house's placard to apply I believe.

If you can get to Mist Ward 2, plot 5 you should find it.

Also there's almost always someone AFK at the market board nearby.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    In any particular city?

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    In any particular city?

Limsa Lominsa, most likely. But I'd expect the other two ARR cities would have somebody there too, at least during prime-time hours.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2021
    Cool, Planning on being on for a little bit this afternoon and then a lot tomorrow. I'll check the market boards and, if that fails, hike on over to the Mist. :)

Thanks all!

Enc on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Oh, I mean the market board in Mist near the FC house. The housing district market boards are really convenient when you can teleport right to them almost.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2021
    We have 498 members (going to have to prune it down imminently so new members will fit.) People idle everywhere.

Edit: Trimmed it down to 490.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Cool, Planning on being on for a little bit this afternoon and then a lot tomorrow. I'll check the market boards and, if that fails, hike on over to the Mist. :)

Thanks all!

If you still haven't managed, I'll be idling by the Aetherite in Limsa Lominsa for the next hour or so if you want to use me to submit the application. Just look for Cassandra Brae.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    admanb wrote: »

We wiped once at the mudman. Almost wiped twice to him. Also almost wiped at the porxie. I had to tank both parts (mudman and porxie) of it as a machinist because it was just me and the healer (who was a rockstar) for a while.

I'm not looking for mastery. I'm looking for basic competence. Like "Gee, these mudballs are tethered to each of us and the rest of the party is standing in front of the conspicuous whirlpools at the edge of the arena... maybe I should do the same?" Not exactly demanding that the tank splits the atom here, but rather that they have a general awareness of their surroundings and a base level of curiosity.

And, yes, I tried to help the tank in question. Problem is, with my disability I can only play on controller. Dunno if you've ever tried it, but it's really difficult to type on a controller, especially when everyone is trying to push. I managed to get out one piece of advice about the water boss (the pipes) before they charged ahead. So it's not like I was just sitting there tsk-tsking them from my ivory tower or whatever.

But, the larger point still stands. Don't waste other people's time. You're playing with 3-7 other people. Be considerate of them. If you're a bad player, ask for help instead of just charging ahead. Look to improve, with guides and running Trusts. You're responsible for how you impact those around you. And it's not like it's harder or any more time intensive than running content blind with people and wiping/nearly wiping repeatedly. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I also can't help but chuckle at how everyone boasts about how easy this content is - and it really is - but then act like I'm somehow being a huge jerk when I get frustrated by people who decide they'd rather demand that 3 other people be subjected to their growing pains, turning said easy content into an ordeal, than simply doing it on their own time.

Yeah, I mean, if you had just presented this as a rant about a bad player who ignored advice and didn't take things more carefully rather than present it as a moral failing that they didn't do Trusts/watch video guides beforehand that would've been received much differently. But the kind of player you're talking about is not the kind who's going to read your posts and go, "oh no, I should be better." They're gonna read it and go "haha scrub." Instead, by focusing on this idea that by going in blind and wiping even once they're wasting your time and ruining your day, you're putting off people who would be perfectly good players but are now afraid to even queue up as their role.

You need to recognize the difference between who you're upset with and who's going to read your post.

Thanks all!

If you still haven't managed, I'll be idling by the Aetherite in Limsa Lominsa for the next hour or so if you want to use me to submit the application. Just look for Cassandra Brae.

Won't be off work until about 5 est, but thanks for the offer!

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I don't know man. But whenever someone complains about a dungeon taking time longer then 20 minutes. I generally just go poo brain on their rest of their complaint. The argument that it's so and so's time because it's so and so's sub is such a dumb one because it constantly gets applied into a situation where it only benefits that one person complaining.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I don't know man. But whenever someone complains about a dungeon taking time longer then 20 minutes. I generally just go poo brain on their rest of their complaint. The argument that it's so and so's time because it's so and so's sub is such a dumb one because it constantly gets applied into a situation where it only benefits that one person complaining.

Hey, person, I just read your whole post and it took up my time. Next time you post please prepare better so that you can write a post that is more concise so that less of my time is spent reading. It's my time you're taking up, after all!

What's that? I don't have to read your post? And by choosing to participate in a discussion group with other people means that I am explicitly accepting that I can not control the things other people do or say? That I've now spent more time thinking about, and responding to, your post, than I would have had I just read it and moved on? I don't follow the logic. Either way, my post will most certainly not be unnecessarily long and meandering!

This probably has no relation to XIV dungeons. :rotate:

Seriously, though; I can count on one hand the amount of "toxic" dungeon runs I've had in FFXIV in the last decade. Sure, when they're bad, they're frustratingly bad, but the vast majority of time, even if a tank or healer is new, and they say it, there are zero problems. Maybe the run takes 2.346634624 minutes more than a "pro" run, but it goes fine! Sometimes they don't say so, and the healer or tank get in over their head, maybe there is a wipe, and it adds a minute or two onto the run. Oh well! If a DPS is new, whoop de do! :lol:

Even when I get into a queue where, for one reason or another, everyone but one person has bailed, it gets filled, there might be some confusion for a moment, but then it almost always just carries on as normal.

Also, I'm under no obligation to stick around, if it is clearly going to go poorly. I very rarely actually bail on any given run, because even in trial queues and harder content, if it's clear some people are new (even if they're not voicing it), all it usually takes after a wipe is a quick explanation, or at the very least someone knowledgeable setting up marks, and it's fine. But if you feel like you need to bail, for your own sanity/health, no one is obligated to have to justify it to anyone else; just leave. The game has a built in solution to that problem. Maybe you'll get a queue cooldown, that's the consequence, so just weigh the additional 30m lockout with the effect of staying on yourself, even if it takes less than that 30m would have (plus whatever time for a new queue/run).

Though, I would say, at some point, if you're toeing the line of getting like 24hr lockouts because you've bailed on too many dungeons, either you've got extremely bad luck, or, you know, the problem might not be with the people in the groups you've left...

Maybe part of my disconnect with the discussion is that I very rarely do level 80 queues, because I tend to not care about the dungeon gear because I craft my gear, and if I even care about capping tomes, I get them in hunt trains and stuff. I don't think there's anything wrong with the cap queues, it's just that there is almost no time, ever, that I don't have a million other things to do in-game, between leveling other jobs, crafting, working on old relics, etc, that I've worked out that my time is better spent just doing those other things and keeping an eye on LS's for hunt trains (If I ever felt harder core about it, I'd just hop on discord, but meh).

Bozja was actually the first content I can remember, in some time, where I felt like the game didn't do enough to prepare you for some of the queued fights; but ultimately, even failing them is so relatively inconsequential (I know, if you're hunting specific CE's or trying to get the solo ones, it can be frustrating), that sometimes just taking the loss and watching the rest of the engagement to get to see the mechanics without stressing about avoiding them, can do wonders.

The irony, I guess, is that I still get anxiety about queueing as a healer. I'm not bad at it, but I've also been a tank enough to know that the situations I put my healers in, aren't ones I'm completely confident that I would be able to handle. :lol: I don't know that I've ever been called out for bad healing, and the times I do it, it seems to go just as fine as if I were in any other role; I still feel that stress just thinking about it. Times like that I just queue for less stressful stuff first, like a 24m queue, where I can get in a groove before I go into anything solo. I don't have nearly the anxiety for tanking, though sometimes I definitely still feel pressured to move move move, even if I don't feel like I have everything completely under control; but similar thing, the runs still go well, go quick, and aside from the bad luck of getting the level 69 story dungeon in the last dungeon I needed to level DRK to 70 and get new gear, when I was still in Shire gear, and I could barely stay alive between pulls, I haven't had any complaints.

Even in that final example though, everyone else was super chill about me being obviously fail, and even discouraged me leaving to make their life easier. They totally carried my ass, they didn't have to, it was my fault I was still in 60 gear, I just didn't think I was going to get that dungeon, but they still didn't freak out, at least in-game. :lol:

I sometimes think the imagined pressure to make every run a flawless speed run, is much greater than the player pressure for the same. Everyone seems to assume that is the default way queues should go, but everyone also seem to be pretty chill in runs about not being perfect or not being the fastest run ever. No doubt to some degree it's carry over toxicity from other MMO's, and the assumption that since XIV is also an MMO the same rules apply, and we're all reacting from ingrained anxiety. Just, you know, be as kind to yourself as you are to others.

And if you're a dick to others, well...stop it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Sometimes it pays off to do your roulettes as DPS.

h2vXZMa.png

(They were a premade getting the Savage trials unlocked on someone)

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Thanks all!

So what time zone are you in?

I am debating moving my apartment to Ishgard after they put in the housing wards. It is in Shirogane, but I have never done anything with it.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I could see myself trying for Ishgard if it has the same or at least similar music to the Firmament. So good.

Otherwise Mists gang best gang

Thanks all!

So what time zone are you in?

EST

I am standing around if you can log in now.

I am standing around if you can log in now.

Sure, omw. Whereabouts?

What is your home city, I will be there.

What is your home city, I will be there.

We'll be at the Limsa Lomensa crystal within the next few minutes.

I'm next to the moogle.

Thanks! A lunch break well spent. :)

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I'm next to the moogle.

Kupo?

steam_sig.png
    szrhmua.png

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    See you next tomestone event, you insufferable pom.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Can someone give me the TLDR once I get past Aether Oil on this Anima Weapon? Can I just buy the sand shit and be done with it or do I have to go in circles some more and trade up for it (like I had to do for the previous Anima Weap quest)?

This discussion has been closed.