As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Speaking of decals...

Today feels like another milestone! Specifically, I got all the white decals done, with the exception of the caution stripes and bands and such. This covers mostly the accessories, because the main body's gonna be covered in red accents. But at least there will be fewer "6x" or "8x" or even "12x" operations! ... There's still a few, but I"m not thinking about those yet.

TmHD9DPh.jpg

zj1BsNwh.jpg

chbvjCgh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    That Transformers video is a good look at the manufacturing process and a welcome reminder of the human element in all aspects of getting our plastic toys to us. Not just in design, but in trimming, painting, assembly, and packing. We tend to think of machines and conveyor belts doing all this, but that's not necessarily the case.

Thanks for posting it.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ... Oh shit.

I really need to go to the Zoids reddit page more often. I was browsing Koto's site looking at that Death Stinger (which I really shouldn't get ... ) and I found that they made an art book for the HMM line!

Given that I've tossed all my boxes, that means I've tossed the really kickass box art that these suckers have had. If this book contains those art pieces, well..

I'll need to get ahold of one, somehow. Supposedly amazon.co.jp might work with international shipping?

e4405a8b40e49b0d07b2677a6edc72b66bc8bcc4.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Amazon.co.jp does not ship non-media products outside of Japan. Unless something has changed in the past few years. Might be able to get a middle-man service to proxy an order for you, though.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Amazon.co.jp does not ship non-media products outside of Japan. Unless something has changed in the past few years. Might be able to get a middle-man service to proxy an order for you, though.

Just fired up the site and searched “HMM Zoids”. It says they will ship to the US. Haven’t gone farther to see what it would cost.

• Options
    Cool maybe their policies changed since the last time I tried to order something. It was a while ago.

• Options
    It does look like Amazon.co.jp needs its own accounts, separate from Amazon proper. But small price to pay, I guess. :D

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Just fired up the site and searched “HMM Zoids”. It says they will ship to the US. Haven’t gone farther to see what it would cost.

Most of the HMM Zoids would run about $20 to $30 in shipping. Something as big as the Gojulas I would budget at least $100.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    So, in the past I've posted links to the Unicron project, because it gives you a really good sense of how toys are assembled.

Well today, to celebrate Unicron being "on the boat" and shipping out, Hasbro released a whole video showing the assembly process!

Three thoughts went through my mind:

1. Please let those side-cutters be high quality to leave as little nibs as possible.
    2. Of course they use forms and frames for airbrushing on paint, that makes SO MUCH SENSE when you are mass producing things! (I'd wondered how they did it.)
    3. Oh man, drilling in pins and screws. Let none of the workers be tired and do that at an angle or poorly...

Seriously, click through the link and check out the vid.

https://hasbropulse.com/blogs/hasbro-pulse-premium-previews/haslab-war-for-cybertron-unicron-update-5

That bit at the end where they have two people moving the box onto a pallet.
    That's insane.

• Options
    *GIDDY NOISES!!!!*

xi10JaTh.jpg

PXUfp89h.jpg

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    My Gundam Marker EX Shine Silver came in and I can now report that my Haro is now coming correct.
    ZdK5Mjkh.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Of course the one decal I drop and accidentally rip is the one I don't have extras of*.

Moving to the body has been very annoying, and much slower going. Navigating around the body, plus the size of the decals, is just... whee.

* - well, I have an entire second decal sheet but I don't want to cut into that just yet.

Athenor on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    fuck decals all my homies hate decals

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I think I'm being stubborn at this point. Unicorn and Banshee are gonna get the full treatment. After that? I dunno... I really want the contrast, is the main thing.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Maybe just do the bigger ones? All those tiny warning icons really aren't noticeable imo.

That's definitely what I'm going to do with my Sandrock.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    the tiny little bits add up imo

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Decals do add a lot especially in Unicorn mode cause the Unicorn Gundam is just a giant white billboard.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    04fdfa1c6iep.jpg

*Important*

Punch hands or claw

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    The Claw

• Options
    Variety is the spice of life! One of each.
    Grab them with the claw, then it's punch hand time.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Make it the Hy-Gogg equivalent of the pistol shrimp

It’s an amphibious MS, it can utilize cavitation in water!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    as I recall the claw is a missile launcher assembly where the claws break off to reveal the warhead, after streamlining it for swimming

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    No it is a tool of war meant only for p u n c h

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Anyways check out this god ass beam effect

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Need to put that beam effect on the Turn A

That was like a go to move for Loran for a while

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I wonder if that's scratch built or if they did some touch up on the beam rotor effect that came with some of the Victory Gundam RE100s?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    That Zogok is incredible.

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    I wonder if that's scratch built or if they did some touch up on the beam rotor effect that came with some of the Victory Gundam RE100s?

Checking, the GunEZ doesn’t seem to have one; were there more Victory RE100s than that?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Oooh. My store got in a pour type marker collection. Before they had Black / Gray / Brown, but this apparently has some other colors, like orange and green? It's wild.. but the big thing is that it also comes with an eraser marker of some kind for cleanup.

I'm gonna need to pick up a set and see how it works.

• Options
    Lanz wrote: »

Checking, the GunEZ doesn’t seem to have one; were there more Victory RE100s than that?

I was thinking of the Shokew, which was P Bandai.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »

I was thinking of the Shokew, which was P Bandai.

Oh right, I forgot they did that thing

Hmmmm

1dzdwfhal9ip.jpeg

Seems like the Shokew has some ripples molded in the disc, so guessing the other is a scratch build

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The HG Gastima has a circle a lot like that one, but not quite as big.

• Options
    That Zogok is incredible.

Yeah, the beam saber disc is pretty neat looking, but the amount of work for that half fossilized Zogok is amazing.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oooh. My store got in a pour type marker collection. Before they had Black / Gray / Brown, but this apparently has some other colors, like orange and green? It's wild.. but the big thing is that it also comes with an eraser marker of some kind for cleanup.

I'm gonna need to pick up a set and see how it works.

Aaaand a couple hours later...

49sxRAYh.jpg

sse5IlMh.jpg?1

I'm legit curious what colors these compliment. Like, I've commented on wanting to panel line darker areas. Maybe these would go well with them? Not sure. Lots of testing needed, I guess.

Also.. the eraser is wild. I need to look up and see how it works.

oudq6uzh.jpg

• Options
    The eraser is just whatever type of paint thinner they use in a Gundam Marker container.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That blue would probably look striking against a black surface if it's as bright as it looks.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    *Important*

Punch hands or claw

Give em the clamps! The CLAMPS!

tenor.gif?itemid=3814055

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The eraser is just isopropyl alcohol. Dab a q-tip against it, because if you use the actual tip it will become tainted with paint residue.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Got a mail-delayed Christmas present god bless

• Options
    When I was in japan I saw a few conbini-themed gunpla and I didn't buy any like a dingus

This discussion has been closed.