As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Got my excavator armor and made a run through Lucky Hole Mine. Lead is no longer a problem I'll have for a little bit.

What are people's favorite power armor weapons? Right now I have a bloodied .50 cal that works, but it burns through ammo so fast. I probably need to invest some perk points in to strength and Heavy Gunner once I get Ammosmith and Tank Killer maxed out. I normally just run around in normal armor with an AR, so I have a lot of points/cards invested in automatic rifle damage. Figure I'll invest some in to heavy weapons as well just so when I do throw on PA, like to farm lead, I'll not have to burn through so much ammo to defend myself.

The questline with Beckett, the ex-raider camp companion, will reward you with the Final Word, an anti-armor faster fire rate .50 caliber. It's been my go-to weapon since I got it, but I don't run a bloodied build so I don't know if the anti-armor attribute will offset the loss of the bloodied damage bonus at all.

For special occasions, I also have a Furious Gauss minigun with an aiming damage bonus. It was a pain in the ass to unlock and it's and even more expensive to feed than the .50(especially with a prime receiver), but it mulches everything.

You'll want to invest in Int as well to get Stabilized, it's kind of a must have for a PA heavy guns build.

5gsowHm.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    There's a mod to do it now if you're PC.

I am PC. I didn't know FO76 supported mods.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Got my excavator armor and made a run through Lucky Hole Mine. Lead is no longer a problem I'll have for a little bit.

What are people's favorite power armor weapons? Right now I have a bloodied .50 cal that works, but it burns through ammo so fast. I probably need to invest some perk points in to strength and Heavy Gunner once I get Ammosmith and Tank Killer maxed out. I normally just run around in normal armor with an AR, so I have a lot of points/cards invested in automatic rifle damage. Figure I'll invest some in to heavy weapons as well just so when I do throw on PA, like to farm lead, I'll not have to burn through so much ammo to defend myself.

The questline with Beckett, the ex-raider camp companion, will reward you with the Final Word, an anti-armor faster fire rate .50 caliber. It's been my go-to weapon since I got it, but I don't run a bloodied build so I don't know if the anti-armor attribute will offset the loss of the bloodied damage bonus at all.

For special occasions, I also have a Furious Gauss minigun with an aiming damage bonus. It was a pain in the ass to unlock and it's and even more expensive to feed than the .50(especially with a prime receiver), but it mulches everything.

You'll want to invest in Int as well to get Stabilized, it's kind of a must have for a PA heavy guns build.

I'm not a heavy gunner PA build. I swap in Heavy Gunner when I mine Lead, just to burn through the enemies in Lucky Hole easier. I'm a Commando build on this character. It's also my first character so his SPECIAL layout isn't perfect but I don't think I royally screwed myself up either.

I'll still get that .50 cal because it sounds really good for exactly what I use my PA for, farming lead.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    There's a mod to do it now if you're PC.

I am PC. I didn't know FO76 supported mods.

Only client-side (obviously) so it's mostly retextures and model swaps (that other players can't see, only you), and UI stuff, but there's some really good mods on Nexus. Some of it is pretty much essential to me now (like inventory organization).

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    I'm about to be level 50, so I'll be crafting myself a full set of level 50 BoS combat armor. Is it worth it to grab the heavy and/or sturdy version of the plans? Or is there a reason to just stick to the light version?

edited February 2021
    Level 50 weee. I did go ahead and buy the heavy combat armor plans. Crafted myself a full set of BoS heavy. Still quite a few more levels to go before I have all the perk cards I want.

So I guess the "end game" now is about leveling to get more legendary perk slots, leveling up legendary perks and trying to get legendary weapons/armor you want? I know there is better armor than heavy combat as well, like the secret service armor, but I haven't really started interacting with the gold bullion economy yet. Guess I'll do some research on that.

GnomeTank on
    Level 50 weee. I did go ahead and buy the heavy combat armor plans. Crafted myself a full set of BoS heavy. Still quite a few more levels to go before I have all the perk cards I want.

So I guess the "end game" now is about leveling to get more legendary perk slots, leveling up legendary perks and trying to get legendary weapons/armor you want? I know there is better armor than heavy combat as well, like the secret service armor, but I haven't really started interacting with the gold bullion economy yet. Guess I'll do some research on that.

spoiler alert: the grind for it fucking sucks

5gsowHm.png
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    As someone who has the full set...

It sure is a fucking grind.

If you have caps, be sure to buy the 300 Gold Bullion a week from dude at the Wayward immediately. (6000 caps)

Also, semi vague spoilers on how to best proceed during the new questline from Wastelanders, you can lose out on a unique special armor set if not.
    Go Foundation and in dialogue options - Do Not Get Anyone Killed (Otherwise you dont get the armor) - Keep all the gold for yourself at the end, this maximizes gold gain at the end of the questline, you only lose out on some rep gain, rep is easier to get than gold, although it still takes a while.

Sirialis on
    I think I mostly decoded that. Did a little internet sleuthing and I think I know what the deal is.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Depending on what you're after, the Gold Bullion grind ain't that bad. If you're looking to roll very specific SS pieces, it can be a nightmare.

But I did all that months ago prior to the last balance...honestly haven't been arsed to learn enough about what's changed to really dive back in.

I'm not really worried about Bullion right now. I'll finish the MQ and get that bullion, but right now I'm mostly focused on starting to do daily ops, various level 50 events and getting the rad resist to do the scorched queen event when it pops.

I'm not really worried about Bullion right now. I'll finish the MQ and get that bullion, but right now I'm mostly focused on starting to do daily ops, various level 50 events and getting the rad resist to do the scorched queen event when it pops.

You'll need power armor to survive in a nuke zone. It's possible to survive with normal armor and high resist buffs, but not practical.

Even if I grab What Rads? as my legendary perk at 75?

This character is just not setup to do much damage in PA.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Eh, you can get by with a hazmat suit if need be. You lose out on whatever armor stats you're wearing but that's going to happen with PA anyway.

Just...don't get hit. At all.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Eh, you can get by with a hazmat suit if need be. You lose out on whatever armor stats you're wearing but that's going to happen with PA anyway.

Just...don't get hit. At all.

Yeah, my first time I tried my Hazmat suit.

I very quickly started running as fast as I could to get out of the perimeter.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The Chinese stealth armor works
    well in nuke zones.

Just go with power armor. Even with the stealth suit, you'll fall over from incidental damage. Nuke zones are tough, and unfortunately that's where heavy weapon power armor builds shine.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Sad news. But also it's a good read because I didn't realize how much one of the best parts of the game was added because of one good dog's behavior.

I said goodbye today to River, who most of you know as Fallout 4’s Dogmeat.

Heartbroken doesn't cover it, but I won’t eulogize her here. For twitter, I thought it'd be appropriate to look back at her impact on that game.

(plus, writing about game dev hurts less than grieving)

Full twitter thread copy pasted below but on twitter there are good pictures of River alongside.
    But first, I encourage you to volunteer w/your area rescue. If you can’t volunteer, make a donation to @ASPCA, @HSIGlobal, or a local group.

Consider rescue animals first when adopting, and choose responsibly when working with breeders.

Please spay/neuter + vax your pets. 💙
    This thread is essentially a long form of the story I always tell about River’s role in Fallout 4; that she was the antidote to my biggest worry for the Dogmeat character – a canine weapon, and nothing more.

What we wanted was a companion first, and a combat ally second.
    It wasn’t obvious at first that River would be our subject.

We’d started by researching some “professional” dogs, with film and/or police training.

Lots of games go this route, and for good reason. But in the end, we didn't.
    I remember the catalyst; an eager new member had joined the Dogmeat team.

I visited their desk a day or so later. Research covered the walls; countless images of German Shepherds snarling, all teeth and attack postures.

Within a day or two, River started visiting the studio.
    River attended countless meetings; but not just to be poked, prodded, recorded and filmed as reference - her biggest job was just to BE with the team.

The more they bonded with her, the more they saw Dogmeat as a character - a friend. Image
    The Dogmeat team was just a handful of us early on - as River stole hearts around the studio, however, more and more folks found ways to pitch in and help bring her personality into the game.

She was more than a mascot or an inspiration - she was part of the team.
    This affected *so much* of how Dogmeat comes across in the final game. (And hey, she even won an award for her role - thanks to everyone's great work.)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4s-dogmeat-wins-award-for-best-dog/1100-6435725/

A handful of specific examples:

To begin with the obvious; River's looks were almost directly replicated to the in-game model.

Not just because of her beauty (but yes, that too), her markings happened to work really well for pose read + facial expression.

River was an exceptionally patient & gentle dog. This made her a great collaborator for gathering foley, modeling and animation reference.

She loved being with the team, and they loved her right back. I believe it shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrEQfz4mHAw

For audio, we wanted to avoid stock libraries as much as possible. This was tricky, especially w/distress calls.

The only way we could get these was to separate us - I'd have to stand in an adjacent room where she could smell but not reach me, until she started calling out.
    (These sessions were a little heartbreaking, but they also turned out to be great references for happy little celebration yips as well)
    One of the earliest impacts River had was on pathing. @jean_simonet and I would take long walks with her, and he noticed that she'd trot ahead, but consistently stop to look back and check in me.

This behavior went into the game, and really connects the dog to you.
    River really loved making people happy... sometimes by bringing us large objects. Her intentions were pure, but her judgement wasn't always perfect.

This helped inspire the item-fetching and seeking behaviors, worked on by @jonpaulduvall & @RadHamster, among others. Image
    We also crafted the dog's combat AI to focus on holding enemies in place. Direct damage and finishing moves are secondary. (He also HATES being too far from you)

This didn't just give Dogmeat a distinctive combat style from other companion NPCs; it was a character choice.
    You see, Dogmeat isn't primarily focused on killing your enemies.

He's *protecting you*, often throwing himself directly in harm's way, giving you the time + opportunity to deal with the threat yourself.

If you've ever had a German Shepherd, you understand.
    And I suppose this gets at the Big Idea behind Dogmeat's relationship to you in Fallout 4.

Like your character, Dogmeat is caught out of time.

This dog doesn't belong here, and neither do you.*
    (*anyone looking for confirmation of their preferred Dogmeat origin lore; sorry. There are several intentionally-conflicting clues to this in the game. I can't/won't tell you which theory is true.)
    Fallout is all about exploring a world of bizarre creatures, places, scenarios, and characters.

Companion NPCs are a rogues gallery running the gamut from a thespian Supermutant to an Android gumshoe.

The strange thing about Dogmeat is that nothing's strange about Dogmeat.
    Dogmeat is a tether. He grounds you in the world, will always stand by you, lead you to your family, and anticipate your needs. He wants you to be safe and happy.

In other words, he loves you.

And if love is River's legacy, I am contented.

Rest in peace, big girl.

Aistan on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I finally got in to Fallout 76 after passing on it when it came out, for obvious reasons.

I am happy to say that it is a Fallout game now. For anyone still on the fence. Fun times are being had.

It still has bugs of course, but in my time with it the bugs have only been the usual Bethesda fair. So they range from mildly annoying to hilariously horrifying.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Well great, time to add yet more time to my... 400+ hour play time.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Narrator voice: You must have made some friends along the way, maybe they can help?

Lone wanderer flashback: A settlement needs your help! A settlement needs your help! A settlement needs your help! A settlement needs your help!

Lone wanderer: No! I don't know anybody out here! Especially not in Sanctuary!

Akilae wrote: »
    Well great, time to add yet more time to my... 400+ hour play time.

27x0mmfbyihv.jpg

A good 80% is dicking around with Sim Settlements >_>

5gsowHm.png
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, Sim Settlements is pretty great if you got invested at all in settlement building. You can build out building shells to stick interior plots in them, and attaching all the decoration greebles to a plot means it's pretty easy to rearrange large parts of your settlement with minimal effort.

Glazius on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I decided to actually play 76 again, and I'm having a great time. Having actual NPCs and stuff is both weird and welcome.

Still not a fan of the atom stuff but what can you do?

Anyway, a Halloween event started today. I haven't followed the game enough to know if it's just a repeat of previous years.

I will say that if you're newer like me, maybe don't waste tons of caps fast traveling to camps with the buckets, because the game doesn't differentiate on the map if the candy bucket the camp has actually has candy, and since it started today not a lot of people have gotten much naturally, and they're silly expensive from the station bots (125 each).

I don't really know much else about the event, or what the candy even does. I'll have to actually read the notes when I get home.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I decided to actually play 76 again, and I'm having a great time. Having actual NPCs and stuff is both weird and welcome.

Still not a fan of the atom stuff but what can you do?

Anyway, a Halloween event started today. I haven't followed the game enough to know if it's just a repeat of previous years.

I will say that if you're newer like me, maybe don't waste tons of caps fast traveling to camps with the buckets, because the game doesn't differentiate on the map if the candy bucket the camp has actually has candy, and since it started today not a lot of people have gotten much naturally, and they're silly expensive from the station bots (125 each).

I don't really know much else about the event, or what the candy even does. I'll have to actually read the notes when I get home.
    So anywhere that you find Scorched, you will have a random chance to find Legendary Scorched wearing costumes (this includes Events, like Line In The Sand... SO many Legendary Scorched). They will drop a Legendary item, a Candy Bucket (which you can use in your inventory under the Aid tab to get some ammo and Halloween costumes and some more Mystery Candy), and usually at least one piece of Mystery Candy. You can buy Mystery Candy at Railroad vendors, but they have absurd prices.

Eating a Mystery Candy gives you a random buff for a while. But you can also deposit it at your camp in a Candy Bucket (Free from the Atom Store) for other people to take. You have to use the Candy Bucket to get a conversation prompt to dump Mystery Candy in there. It also won't tell you the exact number above 15 Candy, for some dumb reason.

I'm finding that I mostly have to sit AFK and wait for people to grab the 5 candies to achieve the Daily Challenge for it. There's a Popcorn machine available if you do both of the Weekly Challenges related to the event (Kill 50 Legendary Scorched and 5 Daily Challenges of "Have folks grab candy from your bucket"). I'm finding that I have to create a camp in a well-traveled location like the Rusty Nail specifically for people to grab candy from mah bucket. They are already heading into The Rusty Nail for other business, so they stop by my table for a quick candy grab.

There's also a Daily for getting Candy from other people. When all else fails, you can camp out near someone else's camp, wait for the hour cooldown, and grab another piece. That's 4 hours of AFKing. :/ Hopefully, people will stockpile their camps and Candy Buckets soon.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited October 2021
    Is there a reliable way in game to tell what level events are?

I've noticed some have recommended levels when they get an announcement, but others don't?

I tried doing one earlier that was in the forest, and I'm only 15, to guide some brahman back to a farm, and it was going fine, enemies were spawning at my level, but then when I got all the way back a level 30 legendary spawned and I could barely chip away at its health before it killed all the cows. It didn't say on the map what level it was, but I thought the forest was 1-20ish (I know everything scales to you), and wasn't expecting something so high level, particularly solo.

EDIT: Looking at it more, it's really weird how some show you the recommended level and some don't, even when you click on them on the map, some give you a lot of information, some pretty much zero. I wonder if it's a matter of what ones were there in the game before updates and what ones were later? I don't know!

Also, some show the timer on them and some don't. There's one to kill wolf alphas, and on the map it doesn't tell you how long it has left, so you can go to it and there's only like 10 seconds before it expires. Others tell you on the map. It's just really inconsistent.

The Dude With Herpes on

Man, when FO76 wants to stun you visually, it knocks it out of the park. I know it's the case for pretty much every Bethesda game, but there's just a jarring distinction between the frequently god awful textures that Minecraft would be embarrassed to have, to the jaw dropping moments at sunset in the forest with the light mixing with the autumn trees and it's like "jesus christ I want to be here".

I wish, for their artists, that they could make a game with an engine that isn't a Frankenstein's monster of decades old code. I know that their studio likely has tools that are so ubiquitous with their development process that would make changing engines entirely for the specific type of game they make, very costly and time intensive, but it's hard to imagine that the short-ish term pain of that wouldn't be worth the benefits in the longer term, to something like idtech that is dramatically more efficient, stable, modern, etc.

Anyway, I don't have much else to say.

Oh, I do have a question though, about stash space: what do folks that have played a lot do about the limit? I know it's way higher now than in the past, but I'm still up at it, and I don't feel like there's much I can dump. Is there any other option for storage than the stash? If you put up furniture in your CAMP that can display things, do they still take up stash space, or do they make space there, and that's part of how people can hold as much as they do? Are there any tricks anyone has to make the best use of your space? I like collecting all the individual attire outfits, for example, and while they don't take up much space individually, I'm sure it adds up. Is there an alternative storage for them maybe? Or do people generally not hang on to a lot of "junk" outside what they're using immediately? I'm used to FO4 where I can have unlimited scrap, but that's obviously not the case here. I guess since you can really only have one base, instead of dozens like in FO4, it isn't necessary to hold so much? I don't feel like my scrap is taking up a ton of space though, but I guess it must be, because I'm not really storing much in the way of weapons or armor, and I'm constantly at the 1200 cap. I throw up unused ammo in my shop for 1c each, just to get rid of it without straight up dropping it, but it seems like people rarely stop by the base if I don't have the candy bucket out (I just store it if I'm out of candy for the day). But even the ammo, I don't feel like is the culprit; as I'm not hanging on to the heavy stuff like missiles, and unless the stack weight it shows in-game is off, even big stacks of the normal ammo don't take up a ton of space. So yeah, just curious if anyone has any tips and tricks for space.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I'm sure starfield and the next elder scrolls are already using whatever engine, but i imagine that microsoft is going to dump some money into whatever comes after that in an effort to really make the next stuff shine.

Man, when FO76 wants to stun you visually, it knocks it out of the park. I know it's the case for pretty much every Bethesda game, but there's just a jarring distinction between the frequently god awful textures that Minecraft would be embarrassed to have, to the jaw dropping moments at sunset in the forest with the light mixing with the autumn trees and it's like "jesus christ I want to be here".

I wish, for their artists, that they could make a game with an engine that isn't a Frankenstein's monster of decades old code. I know that their studio likely has tools that are so ubiquitous with their development process that would make changing engines entirely for the specific type of game they make, very costly and time intensive, but it's hard to imagine that the short-ish term pain of that wouldn't be worth the benefits in the longer term, to something like idtech that is dramatically more efficient, stable, modern, etc.

Oh, I do have a question though, about stash space: what do folks that have played a lot do about the limit? I know it's way higher now than in the past, but I'm still up at it, and I don't feel like there's much I can dump. Is there any other option for storage than the stash? If you put up furniture in your CAMP that can display things, do they still take up stash space, or do they make space there, and that's part of how people can hold as much as they do? Are there any tricks anyone has to make the best use of your space? I like collecting all the individual attire outfits, for example, and while they don't take up much space individually, I'm sure it adds up. Is there an alternative storage for them maybe? Or do people generally not hang on to a lot of "junk" outside what they're using immediately? I'm used to FO4 where I can have unlimited scrap, but that's obviously not the case here. I guess since you can really only have one base, instead of dozens like in FO4, it isn't necessary to hold so much? I don't feel like my scrap is taking up a ton of space though, but I guess it must be, because I'm not really storing much in the way of weapons or armor, and I'm constantly at the 1200 cap. I throw up unused ammo in my shop for 1c each, just to get rid of it without straight up dropping it, but it seems like people rarely stop by the base if I don't have the candy bucket out (I just store it if I'm out of candy for the day). But even the ammo, I don't feel like is the culprit; as I'm not hanging on to the heavy stuff like missiles, and unless the stack weight it shows in-game is off, even big stacks of the normal ammo don't take up a ton of space. So yeah, just curious if anyone has any tips and tricks for space.

I haven't played the game in quite a while, not since the storage cap was 800, but I never had a problem bumping up even on that. You're just keeping too much stuff.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited October 2021

I haven't played the game in quite a while, not since the storage cap was 800, but I never had a problem bumping up even on that. You're just keeping too much stuff.

But...but...my stuff! :lol:

What I should do is spend some time building a base I'm going to be pretty good with, instead of my haphazardly put together one I have now, and then just kinda not sweat scrap that I don't need for crafting.

I'm sure that'd be easier at 50+, but I'm only 27 now, so I still need to upgrade gear a lot. Or not, maybe I should just be a lot more of a pick up whatever and use it like BotW.

I also probably don't need to be holding onto things like power armor that I can't use till a higher level anyway? When I barely use power armor to begin with? Or maybe I should just go do the quest to get the power armor workbench plan so I can leave them out at my camp and take up less space (presumably, I'm not totally sure that's how it works, but I see a lot of camps with a whole mess of power armors set out).

It's just a hard shift from the crazy hoarder I'm accustomed to playing in Bethesda games.

EDIT: I mean I knew that when I played back at launch and the stash was 200 or something silly low. But I didn't play long enough to really have it become a deal. And, honestly, the only reason it is a "deal" right now is because I just hold onto so much scrap and other stuff. I could try to not pick a location clean of the scrap I need, every time, but I also feel like I wouldn't fully experience it in the way I'd like, if I didn't scour every corner of every location.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    EDIT: I mean I knew that when I played back at launch and the stash was 200 or something silly low. But I didn't play long enough to really have it become a deal. And, honestly, the only reason it is a "deal" right now is because I just hold onto so much scrap and other stuff. I could try to not pick a location clean of the scrap I need, every time, but I also feel like I wouldn't fully experience it in the way I'd like, if I didn't scour every corner of every location.

That's kind of my fundamental problem with the game. Not the scrap limit specifically, but just the fact that they went live service only. If they had made it like almost every other survival game where you can run your own local server with your own settings (and mods), I would be playing. I played until level 25, but there were so many little things that irked me that could easily have been fixed with settings that I lost interest a few months ago. Heck, even my camp which was just a moderately sized 2 story cabin shell was at like 90% of my camp limit. It pretty much only had a few lights, workbenches, a companion item, and a bed. The game also liked spawning me up in the air above a drop large enough to break both of my legs every time I fast traveled back, but at least that healed fairly quickly. It was a long painful climb up the stairs, though.

edited October 2021
    So do people who have the subscription not have a stash limit, even on public servers or something?

I set up some displays in my base and it just links items in your stash to the display (though, with Power Armor, it seems like you just leave your power armor out in the workbench?), so displaying stuff doesn't help stash space.

Which makes me curious about some bases I've visited that seem to be displaying more than I think a stash can possibly hold, and have more complex and larger bases than I can tell are even possible with the limits.

Are there tricks, like in FO4 you could just drop a bunch of crap on the ground and salvage it, and it'd lower your base construction limit, allowing you to build basically forever in any location.

Weirdly, I have less compulsion to spend a lot of time making a base in 76 than I did in FO4, because of the lack of settlers (one ally per camp? why?) and interlinking between multiple bases. And I just don't personally spend that much time in my camp, or feel very concerned about what other players think of it.

I was considering last night, because every time I logged in yesterday it said it couldn't place my camp, if there's any real drawbacks from just building your own personal base inside of a shelter and calling it good? Then you only ever need to worry about placing one object if you have to move your camp?

EDIT: so, way back at launch-ish, I remember a big controversy with them adding a refrigerator or something to the atom shop, and people were pissed that something fundamentally gameplay effecting was there. I'm accumulating a lot of atom right now just playing normally (I think I have about 2k?), and I was browsing the shop and I can't seem to find anything like that anymore. I mean, there's the repair kits and lunchboxes (and salvage things, which I can't really wrap my head around, because it's not like there's not a plethora of locations around the world with stashes or workbenches, let alone other players bases, so I don't totally get the need?), but aside from that, it doesn't appear that anything in the shop is functional or gameplay effecting, and is all cosmetic. Is that correct? Is there anything people would recommend I use my atoms on? Time limited stuff, probably? I don't really care about Halloween though, so maybe I just hang onto them for now.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited October 2021
    So do people who have the subscription not have a stash limit, even on public servers or something?

I played subbed. Had the same stash limit as anyone else.
    Are there tricks, like in FO4 you could just drop a bunch of crap on the ground and salvage it, and it'd lower your base construction limit, allowing you to build basically forever in any location.

Not that I'm aware of.
    I was considering last night, because every time I logged in yesterday it said it couldn't place my camp, if there's any real drawbacks from just building your own personal base inside of a shelter and calling it good? Then you only ever need to worry about placing one object if you have to move your camp?

Viable. For a while, I tended to just keep a blueprint for a 2x2 set of foundations with crafting stations and a bedroll on it (no walls or anything) that I could pick up and put down wherever as one piece and just be done with it.
    EDIT: so, way back at launch-ish, I remember a big controversy with them adding a refrigerator or something to the atom shop, and people were pissed that something fundamentally gameplay effecting was there. I'm accumulating a lot of atom right now just playing normally (I think I have about 2k?), and I was browsing the shop and I can't seem to find anything like that anymore. I mean, there's the repair kits and lunchboxes (and salvage things, which I can't really wrap my head around, because it's not like there's not a plethora of locations around the world with stashes or workbenches, let alone other players bases, so I don't totally get the need?), but aside from that, it doesn't appear that anything in the shop is functional or gameplay effecting, and is all cosmetic. Is that correct? Is there anything people would recommend I use my atoms on? Time limited stuff, probably? I don't really care about Halloween though, so maybe I just hang onto them for now.

I played from launch and I don't remember a fridge controversy, but it could have happened. My memory of the atom store was that it is entirely cosmetic stuff except for the few convenience-type things like repair kits. Use atoms on whatever strikes your fancy. I'm a costume collector myself. :lol:

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited October 2021
    This is what I was thinking of; a refrigerator and collection bot. They don't seem to be in the shop anymore? I guess that was like a year later, so not at launch. :lol:

The only gameplay specific stuff I see (aside from consumables) are the additional camp slots and perk loadout? Do folks find that they need more than the 2 camps you get by default, or more than the 2 loadouts they get by default? Like, is the stuff to do late game diverse enough that it's beneficial to have 3 or more loadouts ready to go? It kinda doesn't seem like it?

I should look up if there's a place that lists atom shop stuff that comes and goes, and if there's anything that seems like it'd be useful to hold onto the atoms for.

EDIT: Oh, 1st members get unlimited scrap storage. And like the equivalent of the sub price in atom points or whatever every month; so I guess if you were someone who was regularly buying atoms, might as well get the sub? :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

Oh yeah I think I kinda remember the fridge/scrap thing now.

I didn't know what you meant by "more than 2 camps"... but a quick google informs me that you can have multiples now. When I last played, you could only have one. So I guess my answer is that one was enough for me. :lol: I could see the appeal of more, though. Convenience ftw.

Atom shop stuff - I'm pretty sure the wiki lists all the past and present stuff.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

They have a stash limit, but they also get a second dedicated stash for scrap material.

5gsowHm.png
    Seems like they changed the daily to have 5 people take your candy, to 1 person? I think? Good change if so, while I did get all 5 done last week for the weekly, one day I simply could not get people to come to my base or something (I also didn't play quite as much), which made yesterday a make a break for the popcorn machine reward.

But it's hard to be totally sure, because for some reason the game stopped giving me any of the notifications like that today, until it was complete.

It also stopped telling me what loot I picked up, or what things I learned while scrapping. I checked through all the settings and couldn't find anything that would be that, that I might have accidentally disabled.

Is there any hotkey that might turn that off that I accidentally pushed? I ended up scrapping probably a few hundred unnecessary light leather arms today because I thought I wasn't learning anything; but I did. Fortunately they scrap for the materials you craft them, so I didn't actually lose anything.

Anyway, 41 now, I decided to just try to get to 50 before doing a lot of main/side quests that have unique rewards so that they'd be at the cap. Dunno if any are good enough to warrant the concern, but whatever. It's not like there's a lack of daily/event stuff to do for plenty of XP.

I also learned this morning that a flamer apparently doesn't really alert enemies if you're hidden? And gets the stealth damage every tick. And I wish I had discovered that earlier because I probably wouldn't have failed a campfire event yesterday, and also I've just been selling all my flamer fuel. Waaaaaay easier just to burn everything in a second than snipe from afar or deal with shotgun reloading when getting swarmed. I'm sure I made a massive mistake taking mostly utility perks so far, instead of specific damage stuff, but on the other hand, I wouldn't have thought to take heavy weapon perks, because I've almost never used them in FO3/NV/4, so I'd have the wrong perks anyway!

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Not sure if it was mentioned but 76 has been added to PSNow. Been giving it another shot and while I havent put much time into it, so far I'm enjoying it more than the first two times I tried it.

Looks like they extended the event until the 9th, so if you want the popcorn machine, so as long as you started today or tomorrow, for the candy bowl dailies, you can still get it.

And they did for sure change it to only one person needed to complete the daily.