As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DCEU]: James Gunn saves THE SUICIDE SQUAD

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
edited March 2021 in Debate and/or Discourse
Back in June 2018, TexiKen created the DCEU thread. Unfortunately, the thread was locked, and jdarksun was brought in to finish what TexiKen started. jdarksun has made some edits to TexiKen's original vision, which has proven to be controversial among some fans.

Without further ado... The DC Expanded Universe Thread!
Does DC make better comics? Not sure. But this ISN'T the place to talk about specifically comics! But like all media bleeds over so it'll probably get touched on.

TzWVLl2.jpg

Young Justice is really good, you should go watch it. Doom Patrol is, too! As is Harley Quinn. The rest... meh.

QWEwikF.jpg

There are video games about DC characters! Injustice is one of them. There's an Injustice comic that's pretty good too, but - shit, I'm already doing it. Dammit.

pypkSA2.jpg

There are also, unfortunately, movies about DC characters.

Some of them are OK!

BDvvEvB.jpg

puX33Kt.jpg

A couple of them are pretty good!

PmVrEQV.jpg

NkaQOJg.jpg

At least one is a guilty pleasure of mine!

ALL1Mt7.jpg

But the rest are... uh...

bad.

More are coming.

March 18, 2021 - ZACK SNYDER PRESENTS ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE DIRECTED BY ZACK SNYDER
August 6, 2021 - The Suicide Squad
March 4, 2022 - The Batman
July 29, 2022 - Black Adam
November 4, 2022 - The Flash
December 16, 2022 - Aquaman 2
June 2, 2023 - Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Nothing can stop ZACK SNYDER from unleashing his definitive edition of ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE onto this unready world.

The Suicide Squad has actually finished filming, and will probably be released!

The rest haven't started filming yet, so ... you know, even odds on whether or not they happen.

With apologies to TexiKen for butchering their previous OP.

...however, another thread was created. This thread represents another definitive vision of what a DC Movies thread could be.

CLOUDEAGLE'S
DC MOVIES THREAD
cloudeagle wrote: »
DC movies! I think we can all agree that they exist. Will they ever succeed consistently like, er, that other comic book company's movies? If nothing else, we're in for a wild ride until then. Here's what's coming up next, swiped from here:

Actually Filming

Zack Snyder's Justice League -- March 18. Welp, the internet willed the Snyder Cut into existence. You probably know by now whether or not you want to subject yourself to four hours of this. Will it be grimdark goodness? Or the most self-indulgent thing ever put to film? Anyway, here's the trailer.

https://youtu.be/pqv_LUStxDw

The Suicide Squad -- August 6. Note the "the." Harley Quinn, Rick Flagg, Captain Boomerang, and Amanda Waller are back, and they're joined by a metric fuckton of extremely obscure characters, most of whom will probably die horribly. James Gunn (the Guardians of the Galaxy guy) is doing this, so it should be a blast. He's also helming a sequel TV series focusing on Peacemaker, if you haven't heard.

https://youtu.be/AnnYr1y3DNM

The Batman -- March 4, 2022. Also note the "the." This means we're getting an all-new, all-different Batman played by the guy who was the sparkly vampire. This time they're stacking it with all the bad guys. Matt Reeves (Planet of the Apes) is now directing, so it'll probably be good?

https://youtu.be/ewDSeyWve8M

Flash -- November 4, 2022. He may be the fastest man alive, but his movie is the slowest one in development. They're still insisting on doing Flashpoint, which means we'll get looks at weird versions of other DC superheroes. But not Cyborg. Andy Muschietti, the guy who did It, is directing.

Aquaman 2 -- December 16, 2022. Not much is known about the further adventures of Aqua-Thor, but director James Wan (who did the first one) said it will be more serious and involve the return of Ocean Master, who was... somebody? I've managed to forget. Man, that first movie had a bunch of stuff in it.

Shazam: Fury of the Gods -- 2023. Everyone from the first movie is back, including the director, so it should be a fun time. Here's hoping they don't lose their nerve and actually have Shazam fight that creepy worm from the stinger.

In Development

Black Adam.
Getting his own movie because The Rock demanded it. Apparently Atom Smasher and the Justice Society of America are in it? Jaume Collet-Serra is directing.

Wonder Woman 3. Because of course. Gal Gadot and Director Patty Jenkins are back.

Another Batman movie. Also because of course.

The Trench. Okay, so, the 47 undersea kingdoms in the first Aquaman. Remember the one with the monsters? No, the other one with the monsters. They're getting a horror movie for some reason.

Green Lantern. Maybe this will be a movie? There's also a TV show in development? We'll probably get some sort of green energy constructs, eventually.

Supergirl. Separate from the TV series.

Cyborg. Not sure if this will go forward now that Ray Fishers has washed his hands of the DC universe.

Blackhawks. Being written by the person behind the recent Jurassic Park movie.

Batgirl. Somehow survived Joss Whedon leaving.

Untitled Jared Leto Joker Project. God help us. Though it might be dead.

Nightwing. Reportedly postponed in favor of The Batman.

Man of Steel Sequel. Who knows if Henry Cavill will come back.

Lobo. They've been trying to do this one for a while. Kind of surprised the success of Deadpool didn't help this.

New Gods. Apparently Ava DuVernay's directing.

Static Shock. Michael B. Jordan's producing.

They're both real good OPs, and have been consolidated here for your viewing pleasure.

jdarksun on

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Vanity Fair has an article on ZACK SNYDER'S black and white vision of a movie that somebody else did or something. I don't know what.

The important thing is that ZACK SNYDER is bringing back... Jared Leto's Joker!

Or at least, a Joker played by Jared Leto?

Who knows. It's awful.

Joker-first-look-embed.jpg

It's like they drained all the personality out of Suicide Squad Joker and gave him a prosthetic hand.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I dunno, at a glance I like that version more than... what's even the word to describe Leto's Joker? I kind of want to say "Inner city gangbanger cosplayer", but I also know the first 3 words of that are going to invoke a certain stereotype I'm not intending to disparage. But at the same time I'm fairly sure that's exactly the stereotype they were trying to invoke.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Suicide Squad Joker is Saints Row cosplay by someone who doesn’t realize it’s parody.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Whoever made the Suicide Squad trailer really did a bang up job because it sold that movie to me.

also Fuck Suicide Squad.

joshgotro on
    edited February 2021
    I think Suicide Squad Joker was a direct modernization attempt but missing all the fun.

Modern gangster trappings, but, like obviously in the wrong ways. Antisocial behavior that's deeply uncomfortable. His jokes aren't funny, but they sure make him laugh. He's supposed to be weird, threatening, and out of place in the same sort of way that a mobster in a purple suit and corpse paint would be in the '40s.

It wasn't successful because (imo) they skipped character and went right to characterization. We're never given any connective tissue for why Skwad Joker acts like he does, every scene he's in feels disjointed and random (unless he's acting like we think a Joker "should" act). And there's no "fun" to his actions. He's not out there chasing his own brand of humor. Not really a Joker at all imo, just looks like one.

Like if you're going to put 7.5 minutes of "the Joker" into a 2.25 hr movie, you need to be using a pre-established concept instead of trying to invent something out of whole cloth.

jdarksun on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oh poor old OP from days gone by, DC doesn’t make good comics anymore outside of Batman and Detective Comics. Marvel doesn’t make good comics anymore either. It all largely sucks and they just don’t care and it hurts my heart UwU.

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Holy shit , Snyder literally is just fucking going, " I think I can Top Tim Burton's Superman" , now isn't he?

He's just trolling and knows it.

Ticaldfjam on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    If there is a merciful god this will be the last thing from the DCEU. The poor IPs deserve so much better then what WB has done with them.

• GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    If there is a merciful god this will be the last thing from the DCEU. The poor IPs deserve so much better then what WB has done with them.

I watched The Dark Knight Rises a few weeks back, and it's amazing how (1) considering how at the time it was seen as the weakest of the 3, at least for me it's an order of magnitude better than anything that followed, and (2) I can't believe this is the crap we've gotten instead of the JGL Robin they set up

Really, this whole thing just goes back to what I want most from DC: A ten year moratorium on batman. The character is way too overexposed and they're at the point where they're trying to shoehorn other characters into being like him.

And it isn't like there isn't a fucking assload of characters they could adapt for film and/or television; Blue beetle and booster gold would each be a solid choice and an easy sell on their own merits.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    March 18, 2021 - ZACK SNYDER PRESENTS ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE DIRECTED BY ZACK SNYDER
    TBD - Black Adam

Cool, so I get to check out on DC until next December, and not get excited until the following June.

I was going to make a joke about the JL descriptor making it seem like the Malkovich restaurant scene in Being John Malkovich, but then figured it was gonna be pretty close to the truth.

I'm morbidly curious as to how much of a testament to ego and hubris it's going to be. Prolly not enough to sit down for four hours to see, however

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    That Joker looks like he got his outfit from The Knick

honovere on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I remember expecting the new wonder woman movie to be an absolute train wreck based on the reviews. It wasn't great by any stretch, but it was still 100x better than anything Snyder had ever done.

MorganV wrote: »
    TBD - Black Adam

Cool, so I get to check out on DC until next December, and not get excited until the following June.

I was going to make a joke about the JL descriptor making it seem like the Malkovich restaurant scene in Being John Malkovich, but then figured it was gonna be pretty close to the truth.

I'm morbidly curious as to how much of a testament to ego and hubris it's going to be. Prolly not enough to sit down for four hours to see, however
    I think there's an 80% chance The Flash doesn't happen, and I'm 50/50 on anything after that.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    TBD - Black Adam

I think there's an 80% chance The Flash doesn't happen, and I'm 50/50 on anything after that.

At this point I'm hoping that the Shazam sequel (sequels?) remain divorced from the DCEU.

While I'd like to see him interact with the DC heroes, not if it's still under Snyder's stewardship.

Just treat it as it's own little pocket universe, with a couple "in jokes", but not tied into the grimdark of the overall theme.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Saw Shazam over my birthday and was shocked how it rides the line between being incredibly light hearted and incredibly heavy-like not in the Snyderverse ‘nobody smile, everyone bleeds gravel’ ethos but heavy as in ‘can I open myself up to a life in a foster home when I’m sure my real parents are out there and I’ll never. forgive myself if I could find them and I don’t try?’ It’s got some big emotional gut punches that grimdark bravado lacks even the most basic finesse to attempt to discuss.

At the same time, Shazam was a LOT more like Hellboy than I expected. Kinda...Tom Hank’s BIG meets Hellboy, kind of deal. A few cringey lines in it too, but I’m expectant that this was a proof of concept and the sequel should really open up into something great.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Shazam was a nice reminder of those 80s kids films that were also for adults like the Goonies. The Goonies is a goofy kids film, it also has a child being threatened with his hand in a blender and a murdered corpse.

edited February 2021
    ZACK SNYDER has graced us on this, the anniversary of the murder of the holy priest Valentine who was beaten to death with clubs, with a precious artifact of ZACK SNYDER'S definitive vision of ZACK SNYDER'S Justice League, as directed by ZACK SNYDER. And it's in glorious 4:3 aspect ratio, as ZACK SNYDER always intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-Bja2Gy04
    also leto's joker shows up at the end and unironically states "WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY"

jdarksun on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    ANOTHER JOKER SAID WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY BEST COMIC MOVIE DAB ON THE MCU!

In all seriousness, that at least looks like his vision, and while it's trying too hard to be epic I actually respect not using any fucking quips or snark in the trailer. That's refreshing.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    ANOTHER JOKER SAID WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY BEST COMIC MOVIE DAB ON THE MCU!

In all seriousness, that at least looks like his vision, and while it's trying too hard to be epic I actually respect not using any fucking quips or snark in the trailer. That's refreshing.

Like there’s gonna be any quips or snark in the movie to pull for a trailer.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Ugh

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling it's gonna be a sequel hook for Darkseid.

wVEsyIc.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well crap, wish I saw this thread before I spent all that time on an OP. Ah well, this OP is better.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Well crap, wish I saw this thread before I spent all that time on an OP. Ah well, this OP is better.
    You put a lot of work into that OP, I'm happy to merge it in if you want to consolidate.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    You put a lot of work into that OP, I'm happy to merge it in if you want to consolidate.

Sure, if you'd like!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Birds of Prey was the best movie I saw in the theatre in 2020.

And I'm kind of hoping for Poison Ivy to show up in Harley Quinn 2 or whatever it's gonna be called. But I also fear that they're gonna fuck it up.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    ZACK SNYDER has graced us on this, the anniversary of the murder of the holy priest Valentine who was beaten to death with clubs, with a precious artifact of ZACK SNYDER'S definitive vision of ZACK SNYDER'S Justice League, as directed by ZACK SNYDER. And it's in glorious 4:3 aspect ratio, as ZACK SNYDER always intended.

also leto's joker shows up at the end and unironically states "WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY"

"More SLOWMO! more blue and orange LIGHTNING! more BROWN Filters!" (Zack Snyder, probably)

And I'm kind of hoping for Poison Ivy to show up in Harley Quinn 2 or whatever it's gonna be called. But I also fear that they're gonna fuck it up.
    I rewatched BoP recently and it's both better and worse than I remembered it. Most of the movie up through the carnival fight scene are pretty good to great! But the carnival fight is incomprehensible. I still really like it overall.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Did you see a lot of movies in the theatre in 2020?

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

I rewatched BoP recently and it's both better and worse than I remembered it. Most of the movie up through the carnival fight scene are pretty good to great! But the carnival fight is incomprehensible. I still really like it overall.

The only fight scene I got issue with is the one in the prison with the sprinklers, because there doesn't seem to be much of a reason for it to be there and it leads directly into another fight scene with slightly more narrative merit. But the prison fight scene did have a pretty good soundtrack backing it, so there's that.

Did you see a lot of movies in the theatre in 2020?

I believe I can honestly say that I did not see 'a lot' of movies in the theatre in 2020.
    In fact, it was just one.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Batman in a trenchcoat will never not look stupid

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Batman in a trenchcoat will never not look stupid

Unless Matches Malone is undergoing a quick costume change

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    holy yawn, batman

honovere wrote: »

"More SLOWMO! more blue and orange LIGHTNING! more BROWN Filters!" (Zack Snyder, probably)

MOAR SEPIA TONE!!!

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm going to regret asking this, but what is the significance of this Joker/society thing? I assume it's a meme I've completely missed?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    It's from The Killing Joke. Just know it's dumb.

Don't forget the important part: we get more of JK Simmons' Commissioner. (Hopefully)

wVEsyIc.png
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm going to regret asking this, but what is the significance of this Joker/society thing? I assume it's a meme I've completely missed?

This made me look and I wish I hadn't, it was adopted as part of the playerfence movement with there then being a crowdfunding campaign to get a meme around that referenced in a movie.
    It raised a lot of money very quickly.

Tastyfish on
This discussion has been closed.