As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: James Gunn saves THE SUICIDE SQUAD

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    To paraphrase a misogynist bully who also worked on a film called Justice League, my days of not taking Zack Snyder seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    It's from The Killing Joke. Just know it's dumb.

It's uh.... it's not?

It's a channer meme riffing on a Seinfeld quote I thought?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    zack snyder has won

either he is rolling with the meme, displaying a level of self-awareness hitherto not in evidence, or he is displaying levels of pure zack snyder deeper than anybody thought possible

he cannot be stopped...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    This is Zack Snyder's world, we just slow mo live in it

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Somewhat off topic, but I also still find the whole "We live in a society" thing a bit puzzling, mainly because I'd only heard/read it as a snarky reference or punchline, e.g. in Lindsay Ellis' videos and podcasts, and if you just get a reference to a reference, it can be difficult if not impossible to understand the whole thing. Which makes it all the more cryptic when Snyder has the Joker use the line in what seems like an entirely earnest way.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    zack snyder has won

either he is rolling with the meme, displaying a level of self-awareness hitherto not in evidence, or he is displaying levels of pure zack snyder deeper than anybody thought possible

he cannot be stopped...

It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with...it doesn't feel pity of remorse or fear...and it absolutely will not stop. Ever.

Personally, I didn't care about the 'society' line because I'm not that tapped into the meme-verse, but I did think that Leto was done up with more Ledger style makeup, which annoyed me.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    It's from The Killing Joke. Just know it's dumb.

It's uh.... it's not?

It's a channer meme riffing on a Seinfeld quote I thought?

I definitely could have went into more detail about the Joker in The Killing Joke just being a 'normal" person who got a bad run of life, "in a society". Which keeps popping up in Joker iterations and the meme attached to it. My bad.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Well... From the trailer it looks like a bad movie. BUT, it looks like just ONE bad movie.

The Justice League we got the first time was three bad movies wearing a trenchcoat with "GOOD MOOVIE" stitched into the back, full of these little parasitic embryos of better movies that just made the rest depressing in contrast, so "a bad movie" could still be an improvement, even if it's just getting rid of the good parts so the polish on the rest of the turd can really pop.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    If I remember right this one is the length of three movies

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm going to regret asking this, but what is the significance of this Joker/society thing? I assume it's a meme I've completely missed?
    Originally a Seinfeld quote adopted into cringe/incel memes, who added Joker to it. They're... uncomfortably bad. There was a push to get Phoenix to say it in the Joker movie a few years ago.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Somewhat off topic, but I also still find the whole "We live in a society" thing a bit puzzling, mainly because I'd only heard/read it as a snarky reference or punchline, e.g. in Lindsay Ellis' videos and podcasts, and if you just get a reference to a reference, it can be difficult if not impossible to understand the whole thing. Which makes it all the more cryptic when Snyder has the Joker use the line in what seems like an entirely earnest way.

There is about an 82% chance Snyder thought it was a famous comic line and did not care to track down it's provenance.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't get the whole Joker "we live in a society" thing either, but I'm willing to bet it's because I'm not edgelordy enough to buy that it actually means something rather than being a phrase blown wildly out of context/totally misunderstood by people way, way, way too creepily into adoring the Joker.

So instead I just have to accept that it's a thing I'm aware of as a good indicator of people way too fucking into the Joker.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I don't get the whole Joker "we live in a society" thing either, but I'm willing to bet it's because I'm not edgelordy enough to buy that it actually means something rather than being a phrase blown wildly out of context/totally misunderstood by people way, way, way too creepily into adoring the Joker.

So instead I just have to accept that it's a thing I'm aware of as a good indicator of people way too fucking into the Joker.

So I can't use that line when someone cuts in line or when the person in the middle seat of the airplane doesn't get to have both armrests?

Come on! :(

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

There is about an 82% chance Snyder thought it was a famous comic line and did not care to track down it's provenance.
    So the impression I'm getting is this is like putting "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" in The Last Stand?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Orca wrote: »

So I can't use that line when someone cuts in line or when the person in the middle seat of the airplane doesn't get to have both armrests?

Come on! :(

To human beings, it's just a Seinfield joke, so you're good!

Unless you say it in some deeply eye-rollingly ominous way with a dumb chuckle/laugh after it, to make it super-obvious you're referencing the Joker while completely missing how dumb it is and that absolutely nobody will think you're a cool dude for being so obviously hostile to a "normie". Then it's just edgelordy and you aren't on a plane anyway because you're probably on a no-fly list for something dumb.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Probably the best explanation of we live in a society:
    Though he never canonically said it until now, the phrase "We live in a society" was wildly popular among those who felt that they, too, were ostracized. These self-declared social rejects not only celebrated their otherness, but also mocked those who were still "in" with the rest of society as sheep. According to this edgy Joker fan logic, those who broke away from the collective were innately better than those who stayed.

So yes, edgelord crap that of course Snyder would embrace.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    even that explanation makes no goddamn sense to me

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It doesn't help me that I'm getting interference from Margaret Thatcher's "There's no such thing as society."

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There is no society, and we live in it.
    This is coming close to being philosophy.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I mean it's just another internet meme. They're all billion-layers-deep absurdist or ironic one liners. There's no rational explanation for why any of them are popular or how any of them make sense.

Know Your Meme is probably the closest anyone can get to a wikipedia for cataloging the history of memes and even their origin for this one is messy (and also probably NSFW). It seems like "we live in a society" started as one meme when it got entangled with a different "Gamer Joker" meme that was itself already deeply steeped in irony.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    There's no need to dig deep for understanding a meme, just let it exist. If Joker also says you get what you fucking deserve then we all stand up and clap.

• Options

It really started up in the Hong Kong equivalent of 4chan. Then the related words attached mutated until we got the non-specific "we live in a society."

In other words: the internet.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It really started up in the Hong Kong equivalent of 4chan. Then the related words attached mutated until we got the non-specific "we live in a society."

In other words: the internet.

Jesus

Needs a goddamn PHD thesis to explain and have it make sense, and the real answer seems to be "the internet" like you said.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I thought it actually came from the recent Joker movie.

I guess I learned my lesson about not watching movies that don’t appeal to me.

• Options
    I thought it actually came from the recent Joker movie.

I guess I learned my lesson about not watching movies that don’t appeal to me.

There was a petition to have that phrase said in the Joker movie. There's no way Snyder didn't notice.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I mean it's just another internet meme. They're all billion-layers-deep absurdist or ironic one liners. There's no rational explanation for why any of them are popular or how any of them make sense.

Know Your Meme is probably the closest anyone can get to a wikipedia for cataloging the history of memes and even their origin for this one is messy (and also probably NSFW). It seems like "we live in a society" started as one meme when it got entangled with a different "Gamer Joker" meme that was itself already deeply steeped in irony.

I was wondering why Bowsette joined Justice League's cast...

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Is it even a Seinfeld joke? Because the line I'm thinking of is this (about 1:10 in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e58SiFSxLs

When George is questioning the need to buy a gift to a party he was invited to. "The fabric of society is very complex, George".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Is it even a Seinfeld joke? Because the line I'm thinking of is this (about 1:10 in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e58SiFSxLs

When George is questioning the need to buy a gift to a party he was invited to. "The fabric of society is very complex, George".

I think this is supposed to be the Seinfeld clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHhbdXCzt_A

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    If someone could talk me down from off the ledge on this, I'd really appreciate it. It seems to me like this "we live in a society" line is entirely intentional on Snyder's part. Snyder himself is an edge lord dork, he has said stuff in the past adjacent to "people that think my movies are bad are just SJW cucks, and when they say my movies are bad, they're just saying it to be woke." The Gamer Joker meme is a product of, or at least has been co-opted by the hardcore incel community. At this point, Poe's Law doesn't matter: Gamer Joker = incel; the original intent doesn't matter if it is now so heavily associated with those degenerates. There was a petition to add a "we live in a society" line to the previous Joker movie. There is no way Snyder doesn't know about that line, the meme, or the movement behind it. Snyder's inclusion of that line in this train wreck is either him directly endorsing their position or beliefs or it is him trying so badly to be ironic which will only be seen by those people as an endorsement anyway, so what's the difference in practical terms. And even thinking it's Snyder's attempt to be ironic is still granting him the benefit of the doubt when so many of his other views and positions are already known. This dude's passion project is "The Fountainhead" for fuck's sake.

Snyder sucks as a human being and a film maker, and the more he is cast out by the critics and fans, the harder he doubles down on toxic behavior and attitudes and there is, sadly, an eager audience for it. Zack Snyder could come out as a Proud Boy and not a single person would be surprised.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    ouchies wrote: »
    If someone could talk me down from off the ledge on this, I'd really appreciate it.

It's a shitty movie from like 732 MCU movies ago with the good parts cut out in favor of more shit. Everything you said is probably true but this literally reheated turd of a movie isn't worth the anguish.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Snyder is a garbage person

It is known

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    It's sad that Whedon was apparently so toxic on set that Snyder still came across as the nice guy by comparison.

The only DCU films I've actually ever watched are wonder woman, aquaman, and birds of prey.

• Options
    It's sad that Whedon was apparently so toxic on set that Snyder still came across as the nice guy by comparison.

The only DCU films I've actually ever watched are wonder woman, aquaman, and birds of prey.

You mean the only fun ones? Shazam's also fun.

The rest aren't worth your time.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard Snyder is actually easy to work with and runs a good set, he's just... well, kind of weird. (re: a giant nerd)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I've never heard anything about Snyder being rotten as a person, he just makes shitty movies.

I mean, the worst thing I know to level against him is that he had a way out of making fuckawful DC movies and he decided to come back like he had some kind of point to prove. Which just loops back in to the whole "shitty moviemaker" bit anyway.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I just want to be clear in that the "we live in a society" meme got popular as a means to mock the character. Joker has always toed the line between cool and lame, I mean his is a glorified juggalo. Maybe there was a time back in like, 2012 when people weren't trying so desperately to out snark one another on reddit, when it wasn't ironic, but it certainly is now.

There are of course people who unironically look up to joker but I'd wager most of the memes you see are actually making fun of people who enjoy the character, which makes it even more puzzling why he'd included it in the movie

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've never heard anything about Snyder being rotten as a person, he just makes shitty movies.

I mean, the worst thing I know to level against him is that he had a way out of making fuckawful DC movies and he decided to come back like he had some kind of point to prove. Which just loops back in to the whole "shitty moviemaker" bit anyway.
    I mean he's really into Ayn Rand, which is a big ol' warning sign.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

True, but still a far cry from being actively predatory.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    People have a hate boner for snyder but hey atleast he's not Chris Pratt actual trump supporter and donator to anti-lgbtq churches

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

It's a warning sign that he's dumb and privileged. He's not allegedly dangerous on a personal level, I would rather trust him to babysit than Whedon. He makes bad movies, but he also endorsed Biden and took grief from his fanbase for it. Everything about him screams clueless, not monstrous.

This discussion has been closed.