As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm cold again, [weather thread]

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    oi3cev43easj.png

Jaunty!

64ejvyxbkl4d.png

Bad news, folks. I don't think we had much melting in the last twelve hours.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I've been counting on somewhat warmer temps and rain to melt the snow here so I can get out.
    We did get somewhat warmer temps, but no rain to melt its way through.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I just a couple of hours ago got back to my home in Seattle from the far western Olympic forest coast, and wow the whole middle of the country got frozen?

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The sun has set and the real cold is starting to set in.

But don’t worry folks, the completely empty large office buildings across the street from my apartment complex with hundreds of units never lost power. So clearly things are fine.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm worried about the Texas power situation. Mine hasn't gone out yet but I figure it's just a matter of time. I'm not really equipped to deal with this, having only electric heaters, but I'll figure something out if/when it does go. I heard one of the local hotels is offering free rooms to anyone whose power is out, or that are stranded due to weather, which is really nice of them. I had a coworker stay in our guest room a couple nights ago because they didn't want to attempt the hour commute to or from their home, and yesterday I had to pick up and take another to work because their car wouldn't start.

JtgVX0H.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Start taping extra sheets/pillow cases to your windows if it's super bad. Stuff towels against the bottom of any doors that lead to somewhere outside or rooms you can afford to not go in to.

Weaver on
    edited February 2021

Edit: Oh nevermind it’s lots of things it ain’t their fault.

rhylith on
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm worried about the Texas power situation. Mine hasn't gone out yet but I figure it's just a matter of time. I'm not really equipped to deal with this, having only electric heaters, but I'll figure something out if/when it does go. I heard one of the local hotels is offering free rooms to anyone whose power is out, or that are stranded due to weather, which is really nice of them. I had a coworker stay in our guest room a couple nights ago because they didn't want to attempt the hour commute to or from their home, and yesterday I had to pick up and take another to work because their car wouldn't start.

Where in TX? I live in Dallas and our power went out around 4 am til ???, going on 17 hours now. Luckily whoever built our apartment paid attention to insulation because it's still in the 50's inside and ... let me check... 9F outside.

Chall on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    There are lots of images going around of downtown areas in cities like Houston and Austin that are just fully lit up while you can see like...residential neighborhoods that are completely dark. It's fucked.

Just woke up to the sound of my heater turning on!

I’m sure it won’t last but it’s nice after how awful yesterday was. Maybe they’ll actually roll blackouts this time instead of just saying lol you lost power get fucked.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Chall wrote: »

Where in TX? I live in Dallas and our power went out around 4 am til ???, going on 17 hours now. Luckily whoever built our apartment paid attention to insulation because it's still in the 50's inside and ... let me check... 9F outside.

I'm about an hour southwest of Fort Worth in a small town called Glen Rose. I still haven't lost power luckily, and it's -1F outside. In this part of Texas? That is ludicrous, I'm still in disbelief.

I texted my mom up in Alaska and told her to take her fucking weather back, I'm done with it lol

edit: it's -4 now lol what the fuck

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    jdja4nfvojs4.jpg

So the kia that is almost a third buried is mine

They said 17 inches at the airport. This looks more like 8 or 9 but it's been windy and there are more buildings and trees and such breaking it up.

I really want to go make a snow man. If I had some carharts and a scarf and not knit (from alpaca even... Fancy.) gloves I would. It would be a good workout.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »

I'm about an hour southwest of Fort Worth in a small town called Glen Rose. I still haven't lost power luckily, and it's -1F outside. In this part of Texas? That is ludicrous, I'm still in disbelief.

I texted my mom up in Alaska and told her to take her fucking weather back, I'm done with it lol

edit: it's -4 now lol what the fuck

I know Glen Rose, and yeah I don't think it's been this cold in Dallas in my lifetime. I was actually hoping for snow but I take it all back

They literally just plowed my car in. I watched them do it. They saw me watching them and they kept going.

oi3cev43easj.png

Jaunty!

64ejvyxbkl4d.png

p0k16mne4lwa.png

Shed hat status: dangerously jaunty

GDdCWMm.jpg
    The apartment people blamed the company they hire to plow for plowing my car in yesterday. This is silly. What kind of unprofessional ass plow company can't scoop behind all cars and instead just piles it up behind just the last car in the lot...? They could have pushed it two yards further and not packed me in.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    It was below 0 yesterday and overall we have over 1.5 feet of snow. Thats a silly amount of snow. Give me the -10, -30, whatever amount of cold, but lets cap the snow at like 6 inches

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    It was below 0 yesterday and overall we have over 1.5 feet of snow. Thats a silly amount of snow. Give me the -10, -30, whatever amount of cold, but lets cap the snow at like 6 inches

I injured something in my neck and shoulder while shoveling in the last couple of weeks, probably because the snow on the sides of our driveway is piled so high that I was really having to work more than usual to throw the new snow over those piles. I'm doing physical therapy now and if it doesn't improve within a few weeks I'll have to get an MRI done and see. Pain in my neck is radiating all the way down to my fingers on one side though, so I'm not too optimistic.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Chicago has seen the most snow over a short period in over 40 years. We got 44" over the course of 2 weeks, along with the sub-zero temperatures, so no melting at all. The yard is essentially a snowey version of a hedge maze for my dog, with near 4 foot tall walls of snow on either side of paths to the garage, the garbage in the alley, the side yard entrance, and a couple spots shoveled out so he can actually poop.

Just went out to shovel a path to the car and make sure my battery wasn't dead. Sunny, calm, and just above twenty degrees.

Man, what a heartbreaker. A foot of perfect powder and perfect skiing weather, all being wasted on ten thousand square miles of some of the flattest terrain on the planet. Stupid storm.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

I injured something in my neck and shoulder while shoveling in the last couple of weeks, probably because the snow on the sides of our driveway is piled so high that I was really having to work more than usual to throw the new snow over those piles. I'm doing physical therapy now and if it doesn't improve within a few weeks I'll have to get an MRI done and see. Pain in my neck is radiating all the way down to my fingers on one side though, so I'm not too optimistic.

I'd make sure to get the MRI. Could be a bulging disk, which is common with that kind of activity. And you for sure want to know as a blown disk is 100x worse.

Not sure how often it gets said in places without snow, but when shoveling, lift with your legs. Also throwing snow is always a bad idea. Try and plow as best as you can via pushing the snow then scoop, carry, and dump.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

I'd make sure to get the MRI. Could be a bulging disk, which is common with that kind of activity. And you for sure want to know as a blown disk is 100x worse.

Not sure how often it gets said in places without snow, but when shoveling, lift with your legs. Also throwing snow is always a bad idea. Try and plow as best as you can via pushing the snow then scoop, carry, and dump.

I've had back surgery in the past for 2 badly herniated discs. The pain here reminds me of that quite a bit, so I'm expecting to need the MRI.

I'm in the Chicago suburbs, so shoveling has been a lifelong activity. The problem is the sheer amount, as Simpsonia discussed, combined with the length of time we've gone with extremely cold temperatures. There's been no melting whatsoever for weeks and the walls of snow on either side of our driveway are nearly 4 feet high now. Techniques I would normally prefer just aren't workable right now.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Jedoc I'm gonna need you to attach some googly eyes to your shed

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    oi3cev43easj.png

Jaunty!

64ejvyxbkl4d.png

p0k16mne4lwa.png

Shed hat status: dangerously jaunty

It’s about to bust out a sea shanty!

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Spring has sprung here for a bit.
    Over the last week it went from snow storms with hundreds of people stuck on highways, no train service in parts bof the country to sunny and warm. From -12°c to +18°.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Spring has sprung here for a bit.
    Over the last week it went from snow storms with hundreds of people stuck on highways, no train service in parts bof the country to sunny and warm. From -12°c to +18°.

Where?

Children's rights are human rights.
    Silence, fool! Do not antagonize the tornadoes the week before March, we've got a long spring to get through.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Seriously, they are literally shaking their fist at the heavens there.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Silence, fool! Do not antagonize the tornadoes the week before March, we've got a long spring to get through.

Lousy Smarch weather!

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    yeah can't wait for the blizznadoes to inevitably strike. im sure the earth can go hard with a late winter polar vortex right into tornado season. what could possibly go wrong with arctic air hitting tropical air?

It's 38f right now at 6:26am

Kinda crazy after so many days struggling to get to the teens. It's supposed to be near 40f for a few days this week.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    My part of Sweden has reached the time of year when everything is foggy, which is nice. What is not nice is the inch of gravel covering every surface where people walk and the sad heaps of melting, exhaust-colored snow also covered in gravel. It will be weeks before they sweep that up.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    It hit 84F here in Los Angeles today.

jgeis on
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Yup, it's hot now. Winter is over, everybody, great job.

640qocnq4ske.gif
    It's 50 degrees out now. Pauxetauny Phil is a liar.

I'd say last week was at least six weeks' worth of winter. By like, unit volume or whatever.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Between the warm weather and blasting Alive 2007 I am having the most random, insanely strong nostalgia flashbacks to spring at my university. Sense memories are fuckin' weird.

I'm not looking forward to summer this year.

Probably a couple 110 degree days heading our way come June.

Barf.

This discussion has been closed.