As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rebel Script ⍺] Midnight Hunt - The Hand of Oblivion

2456710

Posts

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Leo

    You check it all in depth, and you think it’s all for nought, until you see a stretch of shed skin. Nightmare stuff. This wouldn’t have shown up during the day. It’s scaly, translucent and wet on the underside. As you hold it it begins to soften, turning to a gluey substance.

    s69m9iprqfh3.png

    Do you peer into the river from the edge?

    mrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    If there was any doubt that this killing was related to nightmares, the piece of skin he was holding in his hands removed it. "Emmett!" he says quietly, somewhere between a whisper and a normal tone. He struggled in the moment to remember the other two names, but assumed they'd come investigate as well.

    Holding up the skin higher, he motions it towards them all, intent on someone coming to inspect it as well. Then he places it gently down on the ground, with the lantern on the other side. Then he very carefully gets down to the ground and crawls forward, peering over the edge, but taking care to do it very slowly and deliberately. If something was waiting down there, he wanted it to get as little chance as possible to notice him looking.

    Endless_Serpentsmrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    Leo

    A pair of ice white eyes look up at you.

    A catfish is looking up. The water courses around it within really touching it. Turning over, you see a dragonfly hanging from a reed. That’s all.

    You all have a good handle on the main locations of the city. Where should you head next? If you’ve more than one place in mind, can you afford not to split up? The Midnight Hours won’t last forever, thank Heavens.

    I’ll add to the city map as needed to roughly judge distance.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Does Emmett's sense tell him that the murder occurred here? Or the volume of blood?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Emmett
    The blood was something of a slow bleed, and while a lot, but nothing like bleeding out from a gunshot wound to the chest. You’d say only 1/6th a man’s entire blood was spilled in front of the indents in the mud.

    Death lingers here. Yes, he was killed here, you believe. There’s no way to get a clearer answer now.

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    "It ended here . . . but began somewhere else. We should try to retrace his path once we're done here. Either on a trail we can find, or the most logical route from where he was supposed to be."

    Emmett stooped over the translucent sheaf of flesh Leopold had indicated, and closed his eyes. He had hoped to be wrong. No such luck.

    "Anything else at the shore?" He moved forward to help Leo search the riverbank.

    fadingathedges on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "Nothing obvious." Leo says, standing up. "That skin tells me the thing that did it is...abnormal." Why Leo couldn't bring himself to say the word Nightmare aloud, he wouldn't ever understand.

    "It must have escaped into the river. But why would this guy even be out here for it to get a shot at him? That part doesn't make any sense."

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    "The skin looks like this Thing could have an aspect of a serpent, or a fish. Maybe It dragged him down the river. That would put the rest of his blood in the water, and explain what's missing . . . and mean our quarry is going to be hard to follow. But, we know where he was likely hunted. We should head north."

    Same kind of roll, but instead of the scene, I'm looking at this path, the river, and the shed scales.
    Geth roll 5d6 for testing the theory

    testing the theory:
    5d6 18 [5d6=3, 1, 3, 5, 6]

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    Despite that being a success, you learn nothing more. The blood has not been dragged elsewhere, it’s in one spot.

    Time to continue the hunt.



    Though I will say the scales are more like a reptile than a fish.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    ubl5bn9mupl2.jpeg

    You’d best have a quick vote on where to head.

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    If there is nothing to use to cross here, Emmett votes for the old bridge.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You could swim across the river in the dark, but you’d only have one die to try it with... unless you take further risk.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Old bridge is fine. Leo wouldn't risk the swim

  • joshgotrojoshgotro west ohioRegistered User regular
    Sorry I was away from electronics guys. I'll catch up and slide in.

    does it?
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 17
    The Old Bridge

    You wind your way through the streets at a fine clip. You make a point of keeping quiet, but without authorities or common folk in the way you’re free to jump fences and slink along walls circling the parameter of businesses.

    Before you stands the Old Bridge. It’s a stone structure built in the age of swords, when ships were made of wood and men steel. It was lined either side with hewn marble heroes, but their heads have been removed, and now stand nameless, their stories lost to all but the oldest citizens.

    The bridge is held up by one large pillar. A rusty scaffold currently surrounds it; recently it’s been renovated at the expense of a wealthy old dame for fear of its collapse. Some good is still being done in these times.

    There is movement on the bridge. Shapes. Dogs, you tell yourself, until you realise dogs can’t move in the Midnight Hours. They’re pacing around in a circle.

    How you approach this is on you. Tell me your intentions and I’ll help you determine what you’re rolling. This is a charged situation. In the dark of the night, with only one lantern between you, you’ll not learn more by just standing there and looking real hard.

    Tomos
    You are the closest to the bridge. You can easily bridge the gap between you and the dogs. Do you get up close?
    This is about to get messy. There’s no turn order, post as you like. I’ll put the spotlight on anyone lagging behind.

    Against a powerful antagonist combat has its own rules, but for the most part, like right now, it’s just a series of challenges.

    What weapons you bring to the fray is purely descriptive, but ‘enough rounds’ for a gun will require you to mark 1 use of equipment. You have 6 slots on your playbook.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Rover
    0tp39dp62hw4.jpeg

    Fido
    0tp39dp62hw4.jpeg

    Lassie
    2y3pd7v9nj3e.jpeg

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Lynch mutters something rude that the others can't quite hear. Then, "Dags. *Bad* dags....."

    From within a hidden coat pocket, and then lodged just inside her sleeve, with a flick Lynch produces a Flintlock pistol and a Stiletto knife, respectively, into each hand. She quietly addresses Tomos. "How d'ye wanna play this? The ol' lure and drop? Bait and switch? Guns a'blazing?" She turns towards Emmett and Leopold. "Offers, gentleman?"

    *Two pulls* for a Flintlock Pistol (x6) and a Stiletto Knife, one in each hand. Lynch's battle method, if immediately threatened, would be to shoot once with the gun (to either kill/wound/distract), then to drive the Stiletto knife into the throat of anything that tries to bite her after that. If not personally threatened, she'll provide an Assist in the form of covering/distracting fire, unless the group decides to approach this from a different direction... Lynch is open to suggestions!

    Endless_Serpents
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leo draws his knife, suddenly wishing he had a firearm like Lynch appeared to have. "Circle around them, strike from each side to keep them distracted?"

    What's a hypothetical roll here to try and strike one? 1 die for base, 1 for Quick (if I rush attack). Anything additional there?

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 17
    Leo

    Leo, if you’re going in for the kill, 1 die + Quick die is perfect. If you’re striking with help, someone can assist you, but you’ll both share in the result.

    If you post first, Lynch is assisting you. They’ll share in your success, or any troubles.

    If you barrel into the fray and fall short of your mark, you’ll no doubt be attacked in return.

    Rules Clarification
    From now on, each dice pool option can only be chosen once.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    If Lynch sees Leo going for it, she will add an assistance die- she'll be providing suppression fire to him from being flanked by the other two dags, while drawing obvious attention to herself and blowing her own cover

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 17
    Before leaving the river, Emmett would produce a dagger (-1 supply) from his boot to cut a small sample of the skin, folding and wrapping it up in a sheaf of waxy paper that had held a sandwich earlier in the day.

    Emmett squinted at the shapes on the bridge as he pulled a hatchet from his belt. These were not likely the thing they were tracking, but they were here.

    "Alright, then." He followed Leo and Lynch onto the bridge, letting them take their first attacks at the beasts, waiting for the moment. There was a glimmer of steel, a shout, a yelp. The dogs turned on them, leaping forward. Emmett slid forward to the first creature's flank as it leapt towards Leopold, and swung his hatchet for its head.

    First die is base, second die is situational - using the friends' work to cover his threat, third die is a Turn of Fate - Emmett exposes himself to the same tactic he is using, so he will likely be attacked by whatever dog is behind the one he's going after. If any of these don't make sense, we'll disregard the die identified. Also, -1 more supply for hatchet.

    Geth roll 3d6 for hatchet

    hatchet:
    3d6 11 [3d6=6, 3, 2]

    fadingathedges on
    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Turn of Fate

    We’ll call that 6 your turn of fate die. If you accept it, you will hit your mark, but won’t have time to counter another dog. You will get dragged to the ground.

    Emmett

    The wind lifts Emmett’s collar as he takes aim. Fate seems to hang in the balance.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leo has his knife at the ready, and as the others draw their weapons, he knows what course this engagement will take. He rushes forward, drawing on speed to be a danger to the dogs, a quick slash to attempt to injure or maim, or kill if he gets lucky.



    I think technically Emmett launched first just by natures of posts, but Leo would react at the same time.

    1 base, 1 for Quick, using Lynch's help for 3 total


    Geth, roll 3d6

    3d6 8 [3d6=6, 1, 1]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 17
    Emmet, Leo and Lynch

    Emmet and Leo sprinted across and leapt at the dogs before they could react! Emmet hacks into one, knocking it onto its side. Before it can flip onto its feet he chops it’s head off. Leo stabs his knife through the back of the other’s neck, but it still rears up to bite him! He wrenches his knife free, drops it and catches it with his other hand. He crouches fast and slams it through the bottom jaw of the fetid thing, killing it. Two dogs down. Two.

    Lynch opens up with suppressing fire, emptying a clip as the last dog dashes at Emmet, pulls him to the ground and starts pulling him to the edge of the bridge...

    Emmet’s hatchet is still stuck in what’s left of another dog’s neck.

    The one still alive is Lassie; hairless, pale and long limbed.

    What do you do?

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leopold moves quickly again. Emmett was pulled down and the dog has started dragging him away. Leo reaches out to grab at Emmett's legs, adding weight to the other man to slow down the dog's ability to drag him away while either Lynch or Tomos tried to save them.

    Lining up to provide an assist die to someone else here.

    Endless_Serpentsmrpaku
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 17
    Emmett struggled to keep the dripping jaws away from his face, but at first could get no traction to do more as the beast pulled him forward. He felt hands clamp around his ankle, and took advantage to lever up slightly, jamming an elbow into the hound's throat to keep it at bay and free up the other hand long enough to let him draw his dagger. His fingers found the loop of steel at the pommel, and he dragged it from it's sheathe across the monster's abdomen.

    (Base, help)

    Geth roll 2d6

    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]

    fadingathedges on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Emmet
    The rotten guts of the beast spills out, and it’s jaws clamp down on your elbow, but fail to do more than rip your clothes. It dies slowly, still standing. It’s eyes roll back, revealing thick grey veins.

    You took out all three beasts with barely a scratch!

    Before you butchered them, the dogs were walking in a circle on the bridge. After a quick look you see something has been scratched into the stone. It’s not a language you know.

    s6q2jcc5dfo3.jpeg

    Do you have a means of transcribing it for later study?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 17
    Easy prey for you hunters. These must have been mere scavengers. The paws of the last dog were eerily dexterous, and its skull oddly bulbous, human-like. Almost like it could have talked. No matter.

    When you’ve through here, consider what’s best for the hunt. The midnight hours are finite.

    [x][_][_][_][_][_]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leopold pushes himself off the ground after he realizes that Emmett has dispatched the last of these "dogs". Dusting off his pants, he catches sight of the symbols on the ground, scratched directly into the stone. It doesn't take long to make the connection that they were circling these symbols, something of interest that would be worth studying later on. Pulling out a small black notebook, he carefully traces the symbols into it, working slowly to replicate each cross and swirl, so they have at least an accurate representation of something they didn't understand.

    "We should get moving again."

    I'll go ahead and take another gear -1 to have a notebook.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Lynch pockets her Pistol, and carefully replaces the knife into the catch up her sleeve. "Right...might be more about, and we're all exposed out here..."

    I assume we're headed South to the Boat Club, correct?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 18
    It appear to me there is a desire to investigate the occupying force’s base, where the actor was performing, and your hunch that the boat club is worthy of investigation. I’d also throw the mortuary in there as a possibility. I might be worth splitting up to cover more ground...

    lfqv7wuddtl5.jpeg

    Rule Reminder
    Advancement
    Once per episode, take an advancement when you share intimacy, your call, with another person. Intimacy includes showing weakness, revealing your past, expressing kinship, engaging in their planned action, or sharing something precious.

    Once per episode, take an advancement when you accept horror into your heart, say how to comes for you, and falter. Alter you looks with a bestial tell, and become grotesque.

    Advancement Options

    * Gain an aspect.
    * Gain a skill.
    * Gain 2 traits drawn from an aspect you possess.
    * Gain an asset, reveal how.
    * Gain a cohort, flashback to your meeting.
    * Gain a connection.
    * Gain 2 rituals.
    * With the host, improve an existing skill.
    * Swap out two of your advancements, say why.
    * Add 2 equipment slots.
    * Add a segment to a condition clock.
    * Reset your condition clocks, with or without an explanation.

    Grotesque

    Once you become grotesque the host will either say the effect is instant, or hold it until a stressful event triggers it.

    At the moment it takes effect, the host will issue a challenge. Unlike all other challenges, this challenge is to stop yourself doing something undesirable. Your mind is not your own… or at least you’d never admit this was a part of your impulses.

    While you are grotesque, lash out at the world with all your vigour and all your pain. Whatever personal goal you have, grasp at it indelicately—rip the world apart for it!

    While you are grotesque the host will pin a word of power to you. As if you were a nightmare, you can summon forth supernatural effects with the word. Using the word is always a challenge, as you fight with yourself to maintain control and properly direct it. Leverage it as best you can, you are the only limiting factor of the word.

    You stop being grotesque when an ally takes on the challenge of soothing your soul, or takes you in hand as a hunter.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 18
    Emmett wipes the blood from his hatchet and looks on, as Leopold produces a notebook from an inner pocket.

    "Careful . . . don't put them all on the same. . ." But Emmett's voice fails him as he gazes at the scrawl. Had their been others, in the past? Had he missed them?

    To Emmett, far more sinister than the slain beasts leaking ichor onto the bridge is the idea that this isn't just a Darkness that happens, this was something that was done. Something, or worse yet, someone may be causing the Nightmares to appear. In his time tracking and hunting them, he had never considered it. Emmett had always believed that They were phenomena: the worst whispers of the night coalesced into hard form, a crack of thunder made grisly flesh. But what- or who-ever scrawled these sigils did it with intent. Faced with that thought, Emmett's view of the world is sent spinning. He feels the cold despair of reality entering his heart . . . or had it always been there?

    Emmet Accepts Darkness, gains Observant, and becomes grotesque when the host determines it is triggered.

    fadingathedges on
    AustinP0027Endless_Serpentsmrpaku
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leopold nods his head in agreement with Lynch. "Yes, something not out in the open at this point would be preferred."

    He turns back the direction from where they came, pointing at the bank they were on. "If the body was found there..." he follows a line across the river, "...then we should check out there." His finger is pointing towards the the Boat Club. "Boat Club. Let's head that way."

    As they start off, he moves closer to Emmett. "You ok there Emmett? Nasty thing got a hold of your arm there for second."

    Figured someone should say it aloud as next step.

    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Together you make your way south, following the quickest path in the otherwise winding streets.

    The boat club is in sight, but Emmett halts you. There’s the light of many open flames around a corner, to your right, down a street none of you frequent. They cast long, dancing shadows. The sources of light must be small. All they seem to do is accent how dark it is out. It seems colder now.

    You could just break for the boat club...

    bb0tr67acf0q.jpeg

  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Emmett nods, smoothing the tattered scraps of his sleeve down over the length of his arm.

    "Yeah, yeah. Fine. Mostly got the coat." He seems to regain his composure. "We're heading south first? That works. I have a feeling he was grabbed closer to the garrison north of here, but if this Thing has a nest down here, that old building we saw across the warehouse is worth checking out." He pauses a moment, and nods to the three companions.

    "That was about as good as we could have hoped for. That kind of luck can't last, but y'all did well. Keep on task and we'll all make it to see the sun rise."

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Lynch grins wryly at Leopold and Emmett. "Nice to be working with professionals, fer a change. Proper bit of work, back there."

    After Emmett halts the group, Lynch attempts to peer around the corner, towards the source of the light. "Huh...what about that, now." She seems to be thinking out loud. "Lights...candles....shrine of some kind, maybe? Think someone's over there?"

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Leo stops in his tracks when Emmett points out the lights. Lynch is already attempting to peer around the corner, but Leo does the same, not wanting to miss any action or be held back. He tries to peer carefully past Lynch, but position himself still safely out of sight.

    Apologize in advance when this blows up in our face, but I'm trying to land Leo's personality. I keep going back to "overeager kid" type, so a competitive "no I'm first" seems to be a direction.

    mrpaku
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 18
    Lynch
    By inching your way across and hunkering down by a bench you can see dozens of little fat candles scattered around the street, half-melted onto doorsteps, telephone boxes, some even on the road. There is a figure knelt down, lighting another candle. Not a person.

    You know it to be a spirit. Something of a native to the midnight hours; an eldritch alien thing, but not a nightmare. Spirits aren’t ghosts, there’s no such thing, but they have many qualities from tales of them. They are a third party, but you wouldn’t necessarily call them neutral in disposition.

    Leo
    You quick step, crouch walking, your lantern wrapped beneath your jacket for now.

    At this range, you’d almost think it a woman in black, wearing a mourning veil.

    uon24ifnmpfp.jpeg

    You’re new, to be sure, but you’re inclined to think this is a busy night...

    Endless_Serpents on
    mrpakuAustinP0027
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    You are not yet noticed. You could back off...

    Anything else would be a challenge.

    What do you do?

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    "Oh shit," Lynch breathes. She draws back by centimeters, gripping Leopold by the collar to drag with her as she slinks away from the Grey Mourner. Her eyes meet the young man's face and look frantic...she's shaking her head, in the universal sign of "trust me, we don't want any of *this*...

Sign In or Register to comment.