As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e][pbp] The Wilds of Aladrion

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Stay safe then Pants. (I'm not going to say this is the first time I've thought this, but it's always been before going to Sizzler in the past)

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »

"Well met again Thelians! It gives me great pleasure to be able to call a meeting with you a second time after your success. I have called you here to introduce another aspirant who has been judged worthy by Erichel of venturing beyond. This is Korri, one of Ioun's own."

She gestures for Korri to introduce himself.

Korri, a young man with silver hair and a massive sword strapped to his back, steps forward.

"Greetings adventurers, word of your exploits in the wilds have reached the library of Ioun. The archivists are especially interested in the books you have recovered. The existence of written sources from the new world has the potential to tell us so much about Aladrion and the mysteries of its previous inhabitants. I have been chosen from my order and I would appreciate the opportunity of accompanying you as we explore further into the unknown."

"The note you deciphered seems troubling. Abyssal is language rarely spoken by those with good intentions and a list of places seems to indicate a goal of some type which which can only assume to be nefarious. I believe we should keep an eye out for anything that might be one of the places listed on that note and attempt to understand their importance."

I'll update Korri's character sheet for level 4 and upload it to the google drive. The places in the note don't match any locations that we've seen before right? We probably can ignore them for now and maybe continue exploring more southward towards the rolling hills next time. Korri is especially interested any further books we can recover but there doesn't seem a definite lead on anything we might find next.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    "Well met! No doubt we shall find use for another blade and another pair of eyes!" Lexan'dar greets the newcomer while not so subtly sizing them up.

RE: the list of location/names, if we have reason to revisit Ephrise/Trent they might be able to shed some light on those names, but I don't think we should go out of our way to ask them. Our next quest for Moradin's tools sounds like it's in the opposite direction so we can just back burner that for when we don't have a quest/are heading back to the western forest anyway.

I'll let the smarter characters decide on keeping the books or turning them in for xp. Lex knows when he's out of his element and will leave that stuff to those in a better position to make that call.

• Options
    Introductions made, Adina chats for a few moments more, asking if there is any aid you require before stepping away to speak to other occupants in the church, radiating calm, powerful authority.

You haven't come across any of those names so far, no.

If you have any further preparations you'd like to make, the intervening week gives you the time to do so. I'll post up the next block of text, but we'll essentially skip to the exit of the valley with it.

• Options
    Lex is ready to go, after having spent the week carousing, gambling, training and resting in equal measures.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm good to go.

Except for the fact that Texas is covered in ice. If I don't post for a bit, that's why.

• Options
    It's some scary weather y'all are getting, hope you're okay.

The sun has trouble breaking through the thin, grey, cloudy sky valley as the expedition passes the gates of Dawnbreak. Word of your departure has spread and even the early morning showers don't shake much enthusiasm from the Thelians. They still line the streets and ramp in numbers as you leave

The drizzle is light but steady during the trek along the road through the valley, soaking through outer layers of clothing and a trail of water runs off Bos' shield. By the time you reach the pass a scant handful of clouds skud through the skies above you and sunlight begins to bake the clamminess from leather and steel.

The wall of brush has grown back in the last week, plunging through reveals the sparser forest beyond and soon after the forest path comes into view.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'm all for turning in the books to the library, given that we can always look at them again later. "Free" xp! That, and I've already taken copious notes on all the interesting parts as we were reading through them.

• Options
    I assume we'll be turning southwest at the first forking? Time to head towards those hills in search of missing tool.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Did we decide who's going, or did we decide everyone will go at once?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    All 6 of us headed out!

And yeah, the tools are SE of Dawnbreak but the valley empties to the West so we will have to turn South then East when given the opportunity (if I've read everything properly, feel free to correct).

• Options
    edited February 2021
    ej1er7w20kee.jpg

The trees begin to clear just a few dozen yards south after exiting the valley path. The river, swollen by morning rain rushes south and brightly coloured birds drink can be seen drinking from a pool on it's banks.

The shallow series of fern covered hills you saw a week earlier run alongside the path westwards to where you found the redwood and Stone-Shoulders. Hoof and paw prints mark the muddy path beneath your feet, marking the sign of it's recent use this morning.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @Elvenshae can you post a picture of the map so far? I tried opening the files on the google drive but they're not a format i can open.

EDIT - Nevermind! Found it a page or two back

JPants on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Map update!
    d054pimzjg57.png

• Options
    My read is that, essentially, we came in from the right on that map, and then proceeded to take the first left and keep going. We're now kinda near where that river would eventually intersect the path, which isn't drawn on the map at all.

@Kelor Apart from magic items which are restricted for previously-established reasons, are there limitations on other things we can make or buy? Like, I've got the supplies to make 2 antitoxin doses from the spider; could I make some more? Are potions or other alchemical items similarly affected?

Also, were the 50gp of ritual reagents a one-off thing, or do we get another 50 each time we leave? Regardless of the answer, I'll be dropping another 10gp of Alchemical Reagents on Traveler's Chant, granting us all +2 speed as far as determining our overland speed goes.

As the group makes their way into the woods yet again, their new ally Korri in-tow, Ellandryn again breaks out his silver flute. A few additional runes have been carefully carved into the neck of the instrument, and they glow as he plays a song that seems oddly familiar. After a few moments, anyone with even a slight ear for music realizes that it's the song the bards eventually settled on about the first trip out, but shifted up an octave or two and adjusted to a marching tempo - and then embellished with a rather ridiculous numbers of trills, glissandos, and arpeggios. Ellandryn finishes with a wink, and the magic of the music makes the trail seem easier to walk.

• Options
    The river flows out of the mountains bordering the valley, then runs off to the side. You're roughly where the green stops when traveling south.

You can totally convert the venom into antitoxins during the week you were back at town, as well as buying the components for more.

When leaving you'll get topped up to 50g worth of ritual regents for each trip.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    So if we head west we will hit the redwood and the fork that turns south? And there is currently no way to head East, correct? Assuming that's correct it looks like we just head West to the Redwood/fork then turn south into the hills! Lex will take his normal scout/stealth roll as they traverse the forest.

JPants on
  • Options
    JPants wrote: »
    So if we head west we will hit the redwood and the fork that turns south? And there is currently no way to head East, correct? Assuming that's correct it looks like we just head West to the Redwood/fork then turn south into the hills! Lex will take his normal scout/stealth roll as they traverse the forest.

Ellandryn's music weaves into the sounds of the forest, somehow providing a counterpoint to the trilling of birds, the ponderous groan of trees, rushing wind among leaves and the wash and spray of the river. Just over a mile walking alongside the ferny hills your surroundings beMaraudergin to pluck at your memory. A tree stripped of it's bark here, a berry laden network of bushes there. The great redwood towers above you once more, it's many boughs sticking out like thickly knotted and swollen fingers attemping to grasp the morning sun.

Shortly after you come to the river crossing used earlier, now running a full twenty feet wide against the banks of the river off towards the steep green fern walls to the west.

It's severe enough you'll need to navigate it. Athletics check to cross the river, DC 10, unless you have an alternate solution.

The trail fades somewhat after crossing the water, becoming rougher, marked more by the consistent space between trees than being worn with use. It heads south briefly, before swinging in a long rising arc to the west for almost three miles. The grass becomes bumpier, inconsistent, rocky. Eventually you come to realise that they're not just rocks, but masonry. As you continue on, you begin to see the squat remains of a tower's structure. Black scorchmarks scar the remaining blockwork, which now stands only waist high. Great clawmarks have gouged the stonework, the resulting violence of which you've been walking over for the past fifteen minutes.

jy4j0djr9si2.jpg

Just a reminder you're not beholden to stick to the path, you can make your way wherever you wish, following alongside the river or just cutting through the forest are doable, it just wouldn't be as fast as the path for navigating.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Before attempting to cross the river, Sinnder ties a rope around her waist.

Geth roll 1d20+9 for Athletics.

Having made it across, she secures the rope for others to use to help themselves.

Actually, with a 22, can I do the rope twice across the river for a real good rope bridge?
    maxresdefault.jpg

Athletics:
    1d20+9 22 [1d20=13]

captaink on
  • Options
    After we cross the river, does anyone want to check out that ruined tower? It must have been massive if we've been walking over the ruble from it all this time.

Doing my Athletics roll now through I'll take any help that Sinndar provides.

Geth roll 1d20 + 2 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

• Options
    Sure, I'll say the rope bridge gives a +5 bonus to anyone's roll while crossing.

Failing the roll costs a healing surge from the physical exertion of crossing the water.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Lex makes his way across the river without breaking a sweat

Geth roll 1d20+8 for River Crossing

River Crossing:
    1d20+8 22 [1d20=14]

JPants on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    "Well what do we have here?" Lexan'dar wonders aloud as they approach the ruined tower.
    "How's about we take a minute and check this place out?

Lex would like to examine first the tower, then the surrounding rubble/area for any clues about what happened, specifically the claw marks, and searching for any items or signs of interest

*oh what a failure!*
    Geth roll 1d20+8 for Looking Around

Looking Around:
    1d20+8 9 [1d20=1]

JPants on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Ellandryn is quite happy to have the assistance of Sinnder's rope bridge to cross the river, having no particular desire to end up soaking wet. Before climbing out onto it, however, he removes the items more likely to be damaged by water and places them in a separate sack. Then, with a quick gesture and an effort of will, he holds out the sack and drops it. Before it hits the ground, a small zephyr of wind springs into being and catches the bag, raising it slowly up until it is nowhere near the water. Then, Ellandryn orders his minor servant to carry the bag across the river. Once it's done, the zephyr disperses, and the bag falls to the ground near his waiting party members. He rubs his hands together, and steps out onto the bridge.

The crossing is far easier than it initially looked, thanks in no small part to Sinnder. He offers to use magic to dry her clothing or any other items of gear which shouldn't be left wet. He offers the same to Korri, in theoretical commiseration.

Mage Hand with my spellbook, notes, paper, etc. Athletics is a hwhopping +1, so thank you for the rope bridge to make this possible!
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Athletics

Back in town, before leaving, Ellandryn made two more antitoxins; he now has one from the previous adventure, two from the spider venom, and the two more for 5 total. He also spent some time in the library, and has mastered the Continual Light ritual (at a cost of 100gp).

Athletics:
    1d20+6 22 [1d20=16]

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    The tower's base is wide, pacing it out works out to roughly 30-35 wide in a circular structure. One wall has held up slightly better than the others, crumbling pieces of timber and stone indicate it to have been several floors high. A handful of massive partially rotted timber spars show some of the floors to have been wooden and lean against walls or against each other in higgledy piggledy fashion. Grass and weeds have sprung from the stone floor.

• Options
    Korri feels a bit winded by his struggles to get across the river (-1 healing surge) and gratefully accepts the aid of Ellandryn in drying off.

"Whatever end befell this tower it must have been impressive, those scorches and claw marks show that this tower did not fall from neglect."

Korri is willing to investigate further but if there's nothing of interest in the tower, we might as well resume our travels.

• Options
    Our whole mission is exploration and information gathering, and we've been pretty rewarded for it so far. I'm down to let the others take a swing at investigating before we move on. Especially the detect magic folks. Plus we got 2 more to cross still @BahamutZERO @joshgotro

• Options
    Spending further time investigating the area around the tower leads Korri and Lex to estimate the creature that destroyed this tower to have been enormous, the talons alone must have been three or four feet long judging by the damage done to the stone. Many are charred black, including the support beams. The stone of the floor has also been partially ruptured in places, and Korri's eye is drawn to a darker spot amongst the weeds and stone. A small hole reveals darkness underneath.

The ruined tower has a basement.

Further searching reveals a trapdoor set into the floor near one of the walls, pinned down by three of the stone the tower is constructed of.

• Options
    Thanks for the ping!

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Athletics

Yona follows the others to the tower ruins, and uses her Senses of the Wild power to detect the presence of corpses among the ruins or underneath them, just in case. (close burst 5, at will minor action so she'll move around and cast it around the area as she explores). She'll also try to sense the presence of magic in the ruins.

Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Arcana

Athletics:
    1d20+6 12 [1d20=6]
    Arcana:
    1d20+7 8 [1d20=1]

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    @Kelor The updated Bos pdf isn't a pdf.

Geth roll 1d20+4 Althletics

Also oops +9 to Athletics if it matters so 26.

Althletics:
    1d20+4 17 [1d20=13]

joshgotro on
  • Options
    you just had to beat 10

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @joshgotro Hey mate, try now and see how you go. It was opening for me, but I deleted it, printed it off again and reuploaded it. Let me know if you're still having issues. Also, a side thing but which deity do you serve?

At the outer reaches of her senses Yona detects a single corpse below.

Kelor on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    moradin

I actually can't find it at all now in the pregen categories.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    I made a separate folder for everyone's current character sheets, can you see it here?

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »
    Further searching reveals a trapdoor set into the floor near one of the walls, pinned down by three of the stone the tower is constructed of.

"Jackpot!" Lex exclaims at the trapdoor. "Now how we going to get these stones out of the way?"

How big are these stones we're talking? Like a couple of us together making Athletics checks? or a team of oxen and a couple pulleys? Are there any heavy branches or anything above/near the stones?

Also does that description of damage just scream "Dragon" to anyone else? Of course I thought "dinosaur" when it was "jumping skull claws" (i forgot what we're calling them)

• Options
    Yona: "Hmm. I sense a corpse below us. Descend with caution."

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    "Just a second. A moment Lex."

Geth roll 1d20+10 for Big Boi Move Rocks

Big Boi Move Rocks:
    1d20+10 14 [1d20=4]

• Options
    edited February 2021
    @JPants They're about the size of a man's chest, but slightly slick with moss and from the rain so a single person (on a DC21 check) or two (DC14) can move them.

Since you're in a forest, you can definitely find a suitable piece of wood if you want to use it for leverage. Doing so will give advantage (+2) on the roll.

Edit: Bos flex!

Kelor on
  • Options
    I just uploaded my own version of Yona's level 4 character sheet to that folder btw @Kelor

BahamutZERO.gif