As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    My least favorite activity is “i just found a breakable wall, so now it’s time to go hunt down the oil jar that must aurely be nearby”

Followed closely by “there is treasure underground nearby, go wander the countryside to find a well or a mineshaft or a crypt to crawl into.

Some of these are shockingly far from where you might think they would be!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    My least favorite activity is “i just found a breakable wall, so now it’s time to go hunt down the oil jar that must aurely be nearby”

Followed closely by “there is treasure underground nearby, go wander the countryside to find a well or a mineshaft or a crypt to crawl into.

Some of these are shockingly far from where you might think they would be!

When you get explosive arrows? They break walls this was a god send for not hunting down fucking jars ever again

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I’m still not “gud” enough to fight The Sisters but Zealots are kind of fun now.

I’ve been planning out ambushes and fight strategies for a few of them but others I will have to come back when I have better gear and skills.

The most fun one so far I figured out I could take down his stamina bars quickly and then yeet him off a cliff with the harpoon yank skill for massive damage.

I’m still not “gud” enough to fight The Sisters but Zealots are kind of fun now.

I’ve been planning out ambushes and fight strategies for a few of them but others I will have to come back when I have better gear and skills.

The most fun one so far I figured out I could take down his stamina bars quickly and then yeet him off a cliff with the harpoon yank skill for massive damage.

Yeah the sisters you have to at least gear match up for unless you are one of those dark souls guys who loves being OHKO.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I don't think I beat the sisters until I had two top-tier weapons, then spammed poison and dodge

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Ugh I was having so much fun and then a story mission forced strongly encouraged me to engage with the series dogshit “social stealth” system which in practice means you walk slowly with your hood up and try to hit the triangle button to blend, until the first guard glances in your direction and immediately goes aggro for no goddamn reason at all.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah stealth is awful in the game too which is odd considering what game it is.

Was fighting a Zealot who carries a kite shield in one hand and a two-hander sword in the other. I could not make any progress at all until I called my wolf. I got very lucky as well because I only had the level 1 of that ability which meant the wolf was supposed to show up and then disappear, but for some reason it stuck around and just plain shredded the Zealot. I barely had to so anything except occasionally hit R3 to stomp.

Vinland
    I can understand that Ubisoft didn’t want this to be a major part of the game but I was incredibly disappointed in how it was implemented.

It honestly felt like they just had some assets and research left over from AC3 they wanted to throw in and the stuff with Gorm was a story excuse for that.

The stuff with the Native American people was good but taking away all your stuff, making you get new stuff, and then taking that new stuff away again when you return to England...it left a sour taste in my mouth for an area that I had been excited to explore when I found out it existed.

Sciropshire
    I knew as soon as i met the motherfucker that I was going to have to kill Ivarr at some point.

I denied him Valhalla. And told Ubbe the truth, or at least as much as he cared to know.

Man, Ceolbert though. He was pretty decent for a Saxon. It’s ok kid, I got that bastard for you in the end.

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Playing through Assassins Creed: Syndicate again. It's an odd one. I love the city, the twins are cool, and they have a grappling hook! Even the gang-building and reputation grinding don't outstay their welcome. But it probably has the weakest story of any AC game. The plot is basically "Let's go to London and fuck up some Templars! LOLZ!", which sounds refreshingly direct but the villains are absolutely toothless and the McGuffin hunt kinda dull. You can hijack steam-trains though.

Overall I do prefer this kind of AC to what the series has become - a kind of climby stabby Witcher 3 knockoff but Syndicate is not the best example of it.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on the new River Raid content that was released this week? I tried one session yesterday. There are wrinkles that added a little challenge, like reviving teammates, though I'm not sure how much I need to care about that; I can still single-handedly take out a camp at this point without breaking a sweat.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Playing through Assassins Creed: Syndicate again. It's an odd one. I love the city, the twins are cool, and they have a grappling hook! Even the gang-building and reputation grinding don't outstay their welcome. But it probably has the weakest story of any AC game. The plot is basically "Let's go to London and fuck up some Templars! LOLZ!", which sounds refreshingly direct but the villains are absolutely toothless and the McGuffin hunt kinda dull. You can hijack steam-trains though.

Overall I do prefer this kind of AC to what the series has become - a kind of climby stabby Witcher 3 knockoff but Syndicate is not the best example of it.

I had a pretty similar take on Syndicate. It felt great to play. The fluidity of the combat, the ease at which you can move around and actually use all of the systems they throw at you. Staying hidden and taking everyone out one by one works just as well as charging in to fight everyone at once. The gadgets, and gang members and even the firearms just work in a way that doesn't happen in most of the other games in the series. I took over every district on the map, but I can't remember a single interesting story beat in the whole game.

steam_sig.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    That's pretty much why I liked Syndicate so much. There wasn't a world ending event. Just two gangster siblings taking down capitalism.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    The River Raid update should have been called Ballistic: Exe vs. Severn.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The biggest problem with syndicate is that they story ends in a comic.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    8e878ef0c9ec06d4f89aa5b60e3e2a0d.gif

The River Raid update.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I think the worst thing that happened to the assassin mechanics of Assassin's Creed was the dev team / product leads at ubi playing The Witcher 3, and deciding that is how Origins should play.

It made for a fantastic storytelling vehicle, and I didn't mind some of the RPG trappings, and lets be honest I'll keep playing these games regardless... but something was lost when they switched over and I wish I had the ability to play Cassandra or Eivor's story in a fashion closer to Syndicate or Unity.

Also, speaking of Unity, I freaking loved that game, warts and all. It was just such a dense and well realized city paired with possibly the best take on the assassin mechanics (aside from maybe syndicate). Probably the best city they ever made. Sure, they blasted Ubi icons all over the map which kind of hurt it, but that game had the right blend of density, mechanics and environment to keep me entertained.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Unity's big problems were 1) being busted on release, and 2)Arno was a dull character, in many senses of the word.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Co worker hit 100% in Valhalla. She's a godless achievement machine.

JonBob wrote: »
    The River Raid update should have been called Ballistic: Exe vs. Severn.

BOO BOO THIS MAN!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    8e878ef0c9ec06d4f89aa5b60e3e2a0d.gif

The River Raid update.

Finally, my having nothing but an Intellivison for years will pay off.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I played the shit out of River Raid on Atari 2600. I do not enjoy this new mode as much as I enjoyed that.

Also Unity is probably my favorite AC game. Don't @ me.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    lol stumbled on a random quest that I guess was some sort of Final Fantasy thing? It had what looked like Bahamut and I just got the creepiest mount. Like some sort of Fullmetal Alchemist fusion of camel and chocobo.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    lol stumbled on a random quest that I guess was some sort of Final Fantasy thing? It had what looked like Bahamut and I just got the creepiest mount. Like some sort of Fullmetal Alchemist fusion of camel and chocobo.

Ah, the Origins FFXV stuff.

AC Valhalla Order of the Ancients speculation
    I’ve been thinking King Aelfred or King Harald Finehair must be The Father for most of the game. Now that I’m in Wincester Aelfred is looking less likely but I still believe he’s a possibility even though he tasked me with rooting out the Order in the city.

I know the info I have on The Father so far says he’s a Saxon nobleman, which would appear to rule out Harald. But I don’t trust Harald either, due to the way he took over Norway.

I suppose The Father could be someone I haven’t met yet. Alfred’s brother Aethelfled (or whatever the fuck he’s called) perhaps, presuming he’s still alive at the time of the game.

I have very few Order members left to kill. All of the Zealots are down now, and two of the witches. The third is proving to be a major pain.

Me: black bears are one of the most common types, they should be everywhere

Devs: fuck you, black bears will spawn in exactly one place on the map and brown bears will be everywhere

Me: reindeer are a cold weather species, logically they should be up north and in snowy areas

Devs: they’re all hanging around a single lake in the south near Stonehenge. Some of them will have inexplicably drowned.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    ‘Cism

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Me: black bears are one of the most common types, they should be everywhere

Devs: fuck you, black bears will spawn in exactly one place on the map and brown bears will be everywhere

Me: reindeer are a cold weather species, logically they should be up north and in snowy areas

Devs: they’re all hanging around a single lake in the south near Stonehenge. Some of them will have inexplicably drowned.

There really shouldn’t be reindeer at all anywhere in England? I think even the parts of Norway covered in game are a bit of a stretch.

Hell, IIRC bears were extinct in Britain by this time as well.

Jealous Deva on
    If it helps the animals shown in game are closer to what most Americans know as elk

I think I've only seen regular deer in England so far, but I haven't hung around the south west much

Definitely seen more bears than expected, though

Maybe they escaped from the coliseum in Roman times and have been breeding ever since

edited March 2021
    If it helps the animals shown in game are closer to what most Americans know as elk

Unless the game is set in Manchuria or eastern Siberia, not really no. American elk would be even further from home, unless Stonehenge was some kind of ancient teleporter.

Edit: So there are basically 3 kinds of large arctic deer relatives.

Reindeer and Caribou are essentially the same thing, Reindeer is the European name, and Caribou is the American name derived from a name used by Native Americans. Reindeer are all over the Arctic from north Canada to Scandinavia to northern Siberia.

Moose and European elk are the same animal. Similarly to Caribou, Moose is a Native American name adopted into English. Moose tend to occupy a similar range to Reindeer but generally range further to the south. Canada, Russia, Siberia, Scandinavia.

American Elk are a totally different animal to European Elk (despite the fact that European elk live in America too). American elk tend to range even further south than Moose, with historical ranges over most of the US and existing ranges extending from Southern Canada all the way down to Arizona and Tennessee. American elk also live in East Asia, with populations in north and west China, Mongolia, and eastern Siberia.

None of these animals, however, live in England. Red deer are pretty closely related to american elk though and some males can get over 500 lbs which makes them large enough to be mistaken for a small American elk.

Edit 2 : Actually went back into the game. Pretty sure the “reindeer” in England are supposed to be actual reindeer and I guess those ones just took a ferry down from Norway or something...

The Elk of Bloody peaks is definitely the wrong kind of Elk though... although I guess hiking in all the way from Manchuria would make you pretty fucking legendary.

Jealous Deva on
    Other animals that seem to be over represented are lynx and wolves

I didn’t see a single lynx for the first 60 hours but once I got into the “power 160” areas they were everywhere and often in groups which if you know anything about lynx is kind of hilarious.

Foxes, well I’ve never seen one in America but I gather they’re England’s equivalent to the coyote so with the amount of bunnies and squirrels they’ve got plenty to feed on

Boars (aka feral pigs) p would also be plentiful given the state of fencing technology at many of the farms I’ve seen in game.

Boars are a bit odd, there were probably tons of them at this point (both true boar and feral pigs), they basically went extinct in the late middle ages in the UK, and now they are common again. They should definitely be there in viking times though.

The UK is a bit weird, because as a consequence of massive deforestation, hunting, and conversion of land to fenced farms in the late middle ages there was basically a mass extinction event on the islands of large nondomestic animals, to the point where even things like beavers and large birds went extinct. Its hard to pin down exactly when certain animals disappeared. On the other hand, because after this you had a big largely fertile island that was depopulated, once those farming practices became less common in the 19th and 20th century you had a repopulation of herbivores to the isles, often with different species than had originally been there or populations of previously present species from other areas.

So wild boar are back, but they are descended from eastern european varieties. Various exotic deer were introduced by hunters and went feral, including sika, chinese water deer, and muntjac. Feral goats are present, as is a significant population of feral wallabies. These wore all unintentionally introduced, its a bit early to really know the long term effects of all this, though.

In terms of intentionally reintroduced animals, the biggest success has been beavers, which have taken root in several areas and are probably back for good. There are small but viable existing populations of introduced Moose and Reindeer in Scotland, there are reserve populations of Kronik horses, and there are some ongoing efforts to reintroduce bison on reserves.

There still are no large predators, mainly because reintroductions of predators to populated areas tend to be a lot more difficult and controversial.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Interesting the different perspectives on modern AC. I see people talking about wishing the new games were more like the old, but I fell off AC hard until Origins came out, and have now put more hours in to Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla than I did every AC game previous combined. I vastly prefer the modern spin on the series even if it is The Witcher 3 Lite: Assassin Boogaloo.

I also disagree stealth doesn't work well in the modern games. I've played all three as "stealth until it goes to shit and then murder everyone" and I still find it deeply satisfying. When I do finish a big fort or objective completely stealth it feels great. If it all goes wrong? Oh well, I just fight my way out.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Oh I try that too

It’s just that “until it goes wrong” happens almost immediately for me.

Is there a way to turn off the kill animations? I’ve seen pretty much every one and they tend take me out of the flow.

I just want to turn off the lynx kill animations

Those poor kitties :(

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I seem to have calmed the crash gremlins with AC:V. It apparently really doesn't like any sort of overclock on your video card. No other games I play have the issue, but with just a mild OC on my 2080 Ti I was getting hard lockups and crashes after an hour or two of play very consistently. Removed the OC completely and played all evening yesterday with no crashes.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Game crashed on me several times on the PS5. I think it's just buggy.

I just want to turn off the lynx kill animations

Those poor kitties :(

Fuck those kitties they come after me they get gutted I got violins I want to string!

pleasepaypreacher.net