As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    no why would you say this

I mean, it's been 22 years since Brood War.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm playing a game that's older than me.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    no why would you say this

I mean, it's been 22 years since Brood War.

shut up!
    cB557 wrote: »

shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

9 year olds are very well spoken these days

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Pretty sure my strat for that last mission was just get a few tanks and bunkers around my base then just build up 2 dozen or so wraiths and fly along the edges of the platforms along the leftish side of the map then just tuck them in the corner and either suicide the cannon or kill two of the turrets and safely kill it.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    fuck me it's been ten years

Sorry I'm married now.

Besides, no clue when I'll be back down under.

Wait, back then you were getting a new house with potential fiber??? Hmmm...

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Did StarCraft 1 even have a tutorial? I'm pretty sure all the key command stuff was handled in the physical manual back then, if at all.

Did StarCraft 1 even have a tutorial? I'm pretty sure all the key command stuff was handled in the physical manual back then, if at all.
    The first few missions teach you some really basic stuff like how to move and attack with units, using SCVs to mine resources, build refineries, supply depots, and barracks, and using that barracks to make more marines.

The first few missions teach you some really basic stuff like how to move and attack with units, using SCVs to mine resources, build refineries, supply depots, and barracks, and using that barracks to make more marines.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It hasn't even been that long since I replayed the campaign. I was just having this Berenstein/Berenstain moment where I couldn't remember if there was also a separate intro level before getting into the Terran campaign.

Out of curiosity I looked up a pdf of the original manual while making this post, and while it explains group hotkeys, screen hotkeys aren't even mentioned at all.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I don't even use screen hotkeys now lol

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

Yeah, that's what I thought. It hasn't even been that long since I replayed the campaign. I was just having this Berenstein/Berenstain moment where I couldn't remember if there was also a separate intro level before getting into the Terran campaign.

Out of curiosity I looked up a pdf of the original manual while making this post, and while it explains group hotkeys, screen hotkeys aren't even mentioned at all.
    There is a skippable level at the start of the Terran campaign called Tutorial. It's got the "here's how you move your units, use SCVs to harvest minerals, use those minerals to make supply depots and refineries, and harvest gas."

Holy crap serral is a BEAST!!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The 90s were a heady time.

So I've been catching a good bit of ESL reruns recently.

In one of the recent dreamhack games where a huge fight takes place and 3 colossus get away with literally like 1 hp, the stream immediately sends a survey to all viewers if Blizz should lower colossus HP by 1.

^_^'

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Happy Thanksgiving day to all you who dared craft the stars and hoped to dream of high APM.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    If none of you are watching Blizzcon today-

1. I don't blame you, neither StarCraft is seeing any new content to my knowledge
    2. Their strategy channel promises to be fun as all hell; they're getting a bunch of SC1/SC2 legends of today and yesteryear and getting them to play team matches and FFAs in both games. Casted by Artosis and Tasteless. They're playing Lost Temple right now and will be eventually doing BGH. I expect hilarity.

The SC twitch channel went live, which was a huge blast from the past.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    it was pretty great. If you care about SC2 esports proper, remember that IEM Katowice, online edition, starts tomorrow in 13 hours and it will be amaaaaazing.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    I've been watching a lot of Serral and also WinterSC!

I never knew about WinterSC and holy crap he is hilarious!!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    He's like the only streamer that is interesting for sc. Lowko makes ok youtube videos, but watching him stream isn't very interesting.

The true outrage today is that the last pack of blizzcon classic skins is still marked as unavailable. I wonder if they're just gone for good.

I think, aside from casters who do lots of stuff, the only person i really watch play is PiG. But as for casters, in addition to Wardi, I watch PiG, ZG, Creighton Olsen, and sometimes Steadfast.

I haven't watched him stream, but Harstem has excellent stuff on youtube, and releases videos regularly. He has great banter and an excellent editor.

That Byun vs sOs match just now was pretty awesome.

And no zerg so it says a lot from me!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Hey @MMMig, I was skimming Reddit and came across this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/mh4c7c/when_youre_at_the_violin_part_of_heavens_devils/

Does that dancing Marine animation look familiar? I swear we used in our old Rumble in the Bronze preview videos. I can't find them anymore though.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I just started playing SC2 again with a pal and so far my job is to rush to void rays as fast as possible. There are like 5 new Protoss units! I should probably do a game vs easy AI to at least test out the new stuff.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    GUYS I MADE MASTERS 3

two things of note:

1) this is beyond my wildest ambitions for ladder
    2) I still have no fucking idea what I'm doing. I'm still very much in the "hmmm, yes, I see I have built more things than you. Hmmm, yes, I see that you have left your base and I have a control group of lings just around the corner from your nat" state of game mastery.

I imagine this is a fluke and I'll settle back down to, like, plat or whatever as I play more games and my MMR becomes less volatile, but I'll always have this brief moment.

GUYS I MADE MASTERS 3

two things of note:

1) this is beyond my wildest ambitions for ladder
    2) I still have no fucking idea what I'm doing. I'm still very much in the "hmmm, yes, I see I have built more things than you. Hmmm, yes, I see that you have left your base and I have a control group of lings just around the corner from your nat" state of game mastery.

I imagine this is a fluke and I'll settle back down to, like, plat or whatever as I play more games and my MMR becomes less volatile, but I'll always have this brief moment.

You can go pretty damn high on 'oh, I notice I have more things than you,' much less the command of multitasking implied by 1) noticing they've left their base, 2) having a group of lings nearby, and 3) having the attention to send the lings into the base.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

This post is half a year old, but the original campaign doesn't teach you about attack moving. I remember learning that from the demo, which had unique missions and from memory wasn't made by Blizzard but a different company. Before learning that, I used to use Patrol just like in Warcraft2 to get the same functionality.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    In a way you're ahead of the game there, because some modern micro techniques in Brood War prefer Patrol to A-move. It gets a faster response from the unit, iirc.

I just started playing SC2 again with a pal and so far my job is to rush to void rays as fast as possible. There are like 5 new Protoss units! I should probably do a game vs easy AI to at least test out the new stuff.

I was going to awesome this post then you said void rays...

Sorry. There's a line that just can't be crossed.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Hey @MMMig, I was skimming Reddit and came across this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/mh4c7c/when_youre_at_the_violin_part_of_heavens_devils/

Does that dancing Marine animation look familiar? I swear we used in our old Rumble in the Bronze preview videos. I can't find them anymore though.

Hehe... I'll have to look. @redraptor posted the entire vods and stuff in this thread iirc. It was shortly after Geoff's passing.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    https://old.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/mrr2yv/david_kim_principal_game_designer_leaves_blizzard/
    He was reported to have moved from D4 development to WoW last Nov but he's moving on from that too
    I guess its somewhat relevant in this thread since he was a big part of SCII's history

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    Yeah he was a big icon for sc2. I met him at blizzcon, good guy.

Most everyone I knew that worked at blizz has left now.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Looks like David Kim is going to make his own RTS.

l4lGvOw.png

wra

Footage of the 1999 San Antonio Spurs playing StarCraft on a LAN in their hotel room during the NBA championships. Look at all that old tech, and more importantly, the lack of using their hands to play. :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    That's cool!!!

Then I noticed the tweet is from Slasher.
    :(

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Ugh, I’m almost afraid to ask who slasher is.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page