As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Music] Maker's Thread.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/RmjdhZ7Jshuxa4dVA

If I’ve done this right, you’ll have an awful piece of intro music for a game that doesn’t exist.

• HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/RmjdhZ7Jshuxa4dVA

If I’ve done this right, you’ll have an awful piece of intro music for a game that doesn’t exist.

Hey, that's pretty cool. I really like the 8-bit drums that come in around 0:27, and the 8-bit 808 at 1:07.

What software did you use to make this?

It’s a bastardisation of Garage Band (free with my phone), the unsubscribed Medley and October.

I have another one up as of today, but I’m not happy with it. I can see how I’ll improve though, so that’s a nice feeling!

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Was stagnating a bit working on my own music, so I decided to uh "cover" some stuff.

Watched a bit of AGDQ and thought to make a medley of Metroid music, and then for whatever reason I decided to see about fusing it with Stravinsky's Rites of Spring for whatever reason. So this is the first completed bit, comprised of the opening bassoon solo to Rites, some invented material, and a fairly maximalist interpretation of the body to Magmoor Caverns/Lower Norfair.

metaghost on
    That’s really interesting!

I don’t have a well formed critic, so all I say is I’d be interested in your continuing this idea with other classic x video game mash ups.

That’s really interesting!

I don’t have a well formed critic, so all I say is I’d be interested in your continuing this idea with other classic x video game mash ups.

Thanks for listening!

The current plan is move through sections of Lower Norfair (above), Brinstar Depths, Phendrana Drifts, and The Caverns of Maridia in a somewhat seasonal procession, all while interpolating the Rite of Spring to the best of my abilities.

Who knows what will actually make sense structurally and thematically, but thankfully the Rite of Spring is a massive and diverse piece of music, so there's lots to pick and pull.

edited January 2021
    Here's a WIP of the second section, which so far is a much more dynamic interpolation of the sources, which is this case is section two of Rites, 'Augurs of Spring, Dances of Young Girls", and Brinstar Depths.

Due to the complexity of Rites (and its chart), I'm making lots of small adaptation decisions that concatenate and produce some very... different outcomes. Sometimes this is just because I misread the chart and then grow a liking for my mistaken arrangement. Regardless, I was really excited how nicely the basic Brinstar theme overlaid atop the "breakdowns" Augur, and the blend of authentic Super Nintendo chip sounds and sampled orchestral instrumentation creates some really neat textures.

EDIT: I had a thought to mention some of the other inspirations percolating through this section of the arrangement. The bombastic ending segment, which I fucked up and charted as 2/4 instead 3/4, is very inspired by Susumu Hirasawa's Celtic wall of sound aesthetic on the soundtrack for the og Berserk anime. The bulk of the material, in its minimalist prog expression, pulls a lot from Charlie Looker's work with Extra Life and Zs. And because I'm a goober, I'm thinking of trying to Djent things up a bit and incorporate parts of inside//outside's "Self-Portrait in Three Shades of Mauve".

metaghost on
    This one slaps!

Has a real sneaky well-dressed space rogue vibe to it.

I’m now following youse on Soundcloud.

Don't expect too much from my sad little soundcloud: it's where I put all in-development stuff for sharing, which eventually gets culled when things make the Big Leagues and get put on my bandcamp (link in the sig, bruv).

But thanks again for listening. In time, it'll slap even harder, such that you'll no longer think of it as roguish, more of a (space) pirate dandy.

Progress continues, but first I got distracted by spending a little time contriving a better mix and mastering chain. Then I started trying to add back some of the sections I had cut from this first part, which led to me inventing some transitional elements to account for all the ways in which I had messed with the harmonic foundations of the piece. Then I decided that I'd rather just expand the stuff I had invent. AND THEN I decided to add melodies from the Crateria Theme/Samus' Arrival, which led me to build a separate Sampled Trumpet array separate from all the synth horns I had in the file.

Anyway, it's a process. Hope y'all enjoy.

As obvious as it is, what are you typing to have your tracks embedded in the post?

I just paste the Share link; I know from experience that it doesn't always go through, and that may have to do with settings on Soundcloud?

edited January 2021
    Section 1 of the next arrangement.

This is derived from the basic NES Brinstar theme, but massively slowed down (225BPM -> 50 BPM) and then greatly altered to suit the tempo and feel of Doom/Sludge Metal. I'd say the sound is vaguely inspired by the recent collaboration between Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou, but the eventual outcome may be more aligned with the likes of Enslaved or Opeth.

As I described elsewhere in this thread, part of my process involves narrative conceptualization, and the lurching dirge here is supposed to convey extreme physical exertion whilst exhausted, as our heroic maiden clambers and crawls through the overgrown jungles of Brinstar. To that end, measures ebb & flow in length — modulating between 12/8, 13/8, 7/4, and 4/4 — and the instrumentation never fully locks into a groove.

From the point of faded fuzz at segment's end, I'm planning an ambient portion based around section 4 of Rite of Spring, "Spring Rounds", which will then segue into Kraid's Lair.

EDIT: Deleted the WIP from my soundcloud, but these comments still apply to the next post, as they refer to the first couple minutes.

metaghost on
    edited January 2021

This is Brinstar Suite #1, comprised of the super-slow NES main theme, and then a raucous amalgamation of "Spring Rounds" and the "Brinstar Depths/Kraid's Lair" tune. Had some fun trying to channel my memories of listening to Black Dahlia Murder as a kid during the winter whenever I had to go out and clear the ice from my parent's driveway.

From a compositional perspective, I found the blast beat towards the end a difficult thing to break away from. So while I'm pretty satisfied with how it transitions into the outro, I decided to just fade that section out because my sense of the song's dynamics were so disrupted by the brief blast section.

metaghost on
    Carried the motivational energy from working on the Rites of Zebes project into my other work and wrapped up this ambient vamp:

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Ooh, I really like that one! Very relaxing.

Thought I'd go back a page and give some light feedback to folks whose posts I had missed during my hiatus from the thread.

@Rothgarr - 5/4 Reimagined: Great mix, slick guitar solo ( though I wish it had gotten a bit more aggressive ), drums are definitely a weakness (perhaps for the described performative reasons). Generally speaking, you really have an impeccable feel for that era of music, which to my ears is roughly 1983 - 1992. I could imagine this as an outtake from Kate Bush's work with David Gilmour circa Sensual World.

I can see you: Nice choice for the snare & leads. My ears kinda wish there was a good foundational pad rounding out the melodic space. At around 2:08 as the track hits something of a climax, for whatever reason I really wanted it to drop to a halftime breakdown, but I understand that’s not very synthwavy.

Vid made me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5FM35SJvYI

@Halibut - Nebulae: Excellent! Great flow, really satisfying low-end, solid structural dynamics — suggests a pretty big Trent Reznor/NIN inspiration. That said, I think it’s a situation where you could refine it further through subtraction. For instance, I'd love to hear that opening section strip away the synth horn and just focus on the developing of the kick pattern and low-end wash.

Cosmic Background Radiation: I, uh, only skimmed this. Have a pretty low tolerance for four-to-the-floor EDM pulse.

I Can’t Feel My F’ing Face: Contrasting with the above, the abrasive antagonistic qualities of this track helped keep my attention. I do think this track might work better with some of the traditional afro-cuban rhythms of various club music, whether a perfunctory 3 over 4 (to maintain that pulse) or more ornate 12/8.

@Endless_Serpents - Watching Satellites: Track exudes good vibes; solid grooves with the occasional syncopated flourish, fun back and forth between the quasi-bass elements. Not too keen on riding out into the sunset on that concluding riff, would def like to hear it turn around into the opening bars to find a better ending.

Resort Zone - What sort of resort resides in resort zone?

Pilot & the Message - This sounds the closest to your stated ambitions of lo-fi SHMUP pitter-patter, though I guess my memory of SHMUP music is somehow more like grandiose Megadeth style metal tunes? I dunno. I like it.

Thanks for the review! I’ve altered it right now, because you’re right, I’m just trying to make any kind of music. I’m glad you’re mostly into Watching Satellites, I feel the same in the end really. It was a good idea at the time.

I really need to make a new track!

Resort Zone is tropical, with cocktail bars and volley ball, until it got blown up.

• evocurioevocurio Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Hey everyone,

It's been too long! This forum was one of the first places I started sharing my music on when I began writing, now I want to share a trailer (and game) I've been fortunate enough to contribute to:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7tPv-Vokvc&ab_channel=KingdomGun

Hope you enjoy :)

More details in the Indie Games thread!

evocurio on
    Pretty heavily inspired by the Mechanicus OST, but I still tried to make it my own. Lots of bass and the best I could do for a pipe organ without spending a bunch of money.

You had me with the first Oouuuwaaaaar.

I’ll have a new piece ready for the weekend I hope!

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Solvent wrote: »
    My wife's going to give me stern looks.

We've settled into our new apartment and I'm at the music shop buying equipment. Exciting times.

I've been putting off buying instruments for years so I'm finally releasing the pent up need for gear. We're now in a place with more space and plan to stay awhile.

What kind of stuff were you looking for? (Or wind up getting?)

I got a Fender Deluxe Active Precision bass that I'm really happy with.

I also got a Fujigen stratocaster that, after a few months playing, I'm less satisfied with. It's alright, but I'm not very experienced with electric guitars, so since buying it I've come to notice a few little things about it that bug me. It's still fine, live and learn I guess.

Rather than sitting with my DAW I'm now trying to develop a bit of actual physical skill. Eventually, this ideally means I'll be able to create mixed real/digital tracks rather than just all VSTs on my music.

I did open up FLstudio a few times in the last couple of weeks but I'm really out of practice. I can sense it's going to take a lot of time to bring these two aspects together.

Also, congrats Evocurio on the game release. My current daydreams often turn to 'Well, I could totally see myself getting out of my professional career in the next 5 years and trying to become a video game music composer'.

In 5 years I'll probably still be having the same daydreams.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    This one's a bit abstract. Experimenting with extreme compression and a few other effects.

Decided to remix/remaster one of the first tracks I posted in this thread, partially owing to it being inspired by the late MF DOOM:

My initial released version of this track had always bothered me a bit due to some issues that arose after converting the source file from Reason 4 -> Record - > Reason 7, and now reworked in Reason 10. I'm not totally satisfied by this effort, but I think it comes closer to my intended vision and the verses cut through the track a bit better.

This is cool. I haven't really heard anything like it (though I admit I don't have a super broad taste in music). I think the vocals are great. They could cut through a bit more, but I listen to a lot of music where I can't totally make out the lyrics of vocals, so it doesn't really bother me. On my second listen it was a lot easier. Nice flow, and I like that you mix it up a little with the vocoder (I think?) and that section near the end with the chorus effect (or maybe just tight doubled vocals).

Instrumentally, it's really cool. From my uneducated perspective, it's uh... intimidatingly complex. The bass sounds good all the way through. I think overall the track is mixed well. My only note is that the drums are hard to hear from 3:15-3:50. But I didn't really notice on my first listen, and the energy of the vocals and other instruments sound good during that part. Overall, I like it.

Halibut wrote: »
    This is cool. I haven't really heard anything like it (though I admit I don't have a super broad taste in music). I think the vocals are great. They could cut through a bit more, but I listen to a lot of music where I can't totally make out the lyrics of vocals, so it doesn't really bother me. On my second listen it was a lot easier. Nice flow, and I like that you mix it up a little with the vocoder (I think?) and that section near the end with the chorus effect (or maybe just tight doubled vocals).

Instrumentally, it's really cool. From my uneducated perspective, it's uh... intimidatingly complex. The bass sounds good all the way through. I think overall the track is mixed well. My only note is that the drums are hard to hear from 3:15-3:50. But I didn't really notice on my first listen, and the energy of the vocals and other instruments sound good during that part. Overall, I like it.

Thanks for the close listening! "Intimidatingly complex" is exactly how I feel when I open some of these files.

If you're curious about some of the influences that shaped my work back when (this was written in ~2014), the core vibe is a skewed attempt at the oddball jazz Doom sourced for his Operation: Doomsday album, while my two biggest inspirations for my rap soundscapes are El-P (now one half of Run the Jewels) and Organized Noize, the group that defined the funky ATL sound of Outkast and Goodie Mob.

The vocal effects are indeed produced via vocoder, mostly slight effects to produce a thickening effect in lieu of actually recording supplemental takes or offsetting a duplicate, though there is a funny little line that is largely unintelligible due to my attempt at making it sound like a Robot Sidekick proposing a question. (The emcee is not me.)

vgp2q9n9ovu6.jpg

New toy! Really looking forward to recording myself and hearing all my shitty self-taught technique brought to the fore!

Apologies in advance guys, because I totally intend on linking you all to semi-random, hardly-rehearsed jams as I figure out this recording process.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I wrote a song for my wife's birthday yesterday. Spent the last month or so secretly writing it and recording all the parts myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psfUaKLl7_E

It's a very personal song, with lots of references to things that only she would really completely get. But I'm still proud of the end result.

The really weird thing is that I'm super picky about my vocals. Like, do 1000 takes and take the best parts of each kind of picky. I know everybody hates their own voice but I usually take it to an extreme place. But on this one, other than the scratch vocal I had to keep my place for instruments, I just showed up one afternoon and did the entire thing in one take, and I was totally happy with it. Pretty cool.

But the guitar solo I agonized over. Which is weird. Normally I do like 3 takes and could be happy with any of them, but I pick my favorite. I think doing something a bit more melodic and waltzy forced me away from noodling and really set me on playing the right notes instead of the fancy ones. So it took forever to get a take that was "the one".

Uploaded a couple more tracks from my WIP concept album. Arrangement is like 98% done on these. Mixing is 80-90% (hopefully). I finally bit the bullet and bought some mixing/mastering plugins, so that will be what I learn/work on for the next month or so as I finish up the last few tracks. I'd like to say that I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel finally, but I feel like I've been saying that for 4-5 months now.

This first one is the opening track on the album. Fluctuates between a sort of cinematic sound and EDM, and ultimately builds to nothing. Conceptually, it represents the potential for what the universe could have been before the big bang set us down our universe's current path.

This one is my interpretation of the energy and chaos of the big bang. There are 4 parts that are meant to represent the 4 phases where the fundamental forces of our universe began separating in the moments after the singularity. I tried to represent the phases with different meters. Extremely kick heavy.

Red Shift is a track in the back half of the album. Conceptually, this is at the tail end of what will likely be livable conditions for humans (on a cosmic scale, humans and what we recognize as life will probably be a short blip). The universe is expanding and everything is accelerating away from everything else. Not sure if I'm 100% happy with the arrangement or mix, especially the percussion. Metal-influenced in places, but I didn't want to step away from the electronic feeling too much.

The penultimate track on the album. If there's any intelligent life left in the universe, this is the moment where it becomes clear that things are about to end. This one started out as an attempt to try something in 5/4, and sort of devolved into what it is here because I couldn't figure out a way to keep the rhythm interesting for a full song. I still like how it turned out though.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I hope this isn't out of line, but is there a thread for DJ mixing here, or is that completely out of the topic's scope? I've been dabbling in mixing, and was hoping to get some feedback.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Well, here's my sound cloud:

https://m.soundcloud.com/jacob-luttio

It's just for fun, and mostly covers right now. Heavily influenced by 90's alternativia, with some stranger things in process... I discovered I could still play some very basic violin after not really touching it for a couple decades.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'll bite for now, and I'll remove/revise it if I'm told this is the wrong spot...

This was the test mix I did, my first attempt:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m72jpfVpyLg

After doing that, I watched some helpful tutorials, namely this excellent one from Alison Wonderland:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzg8OPPKVdM

So I gave it another shot, hip-hop centered:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK5NpLz8-H0
    (NSFW due to lyrics)

The mixing went a lot smoother on the second attempt, I think, since I learned more about syncing and how to lower the levels on the current song before raising them on the one I was transitioning to.

I'll probably stick to trance and techno from here on out, since I don't really have that much of a rap library.

wVEsyIc.png
    @cj iwakura I'd recommend cutting smaller samples of your efforts to showcase the actual moments of technique, both as a way of structuring posts to illustrate such concepts and making it more accessible for us to listen and provide feedback. As it stands, hour+ sets are a bit hefty to peruse and identify what you're doing other than pressing play.

metaghost wrote: »
    @cj iwakura I'd recommend cutting smaller samples of your efforts to showcase the actual moments of technique, both as a way of structuring posts to illustrate such concepts and making it more accessible for us to listen and provide feedback. As it stands, hour+ sets are a bit hefty to peruse and identify what you're doing other than pressing play.

Thanks. I'll see if I can do a shorter mix this weekend, but if you're able to skim between transitions, hopefully it's noticeable that I'm also adjusting levels and using loops and so on.

wVEsyIc.png
    This thread doesn't move too fast so I'll maek poast with some fairly inconsequential stuff.

Firstly, my audio interface was giving me a bunch of trouble after I got it, with dropouts and latency issues galore. Not simply a 'change the buffer size' issue. There's an 80-odd page thread on the Steinberg forums about this, and I think I solved the problem. Turns out that with some laptops, if they frequently switch the processor to turbo and back again, play havoc with certain usb devices. So restricting your laptop's processor performance to 99% (instead of 100, which will prompt turbo, depending on heat status) can result in more stability. After doing this, it's been good so far!

I'm thinking about trying to find some collaborators for a long distance rock band. I've started sitting with the guitar a bit more and sketching out some songs, after I have a few more in place I will search for peeps to maybe plump stuff up a bit where I'm lacking. I also thought I might try my hand once more at putting some lyrics in, which I've not done since high school.

Online collabs are of course booming at the moment with the stay-at-home orders around the world. I also thought I'd try my hand offering a few beats for rappers to use, but I'm not sure if my style is a hit with anyone. I'd be interested in trying on a trip-hop style hat for a bit. I quickly threw this thing together thinking that if anyone liked it I could build on it, any thoughts?

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-345740270/disembark

Not really trip hop, but I'll keep searching for that vibe.

Solvent wrote: »

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-345740270/disembark

Not really trip hop, but I'll keep searching for that vibe.

Sounds cool. I especially like the part at 0:44 when that big distorted bass comes in. My only reference for trip hop is Massive Attack, and maybe a few tracks by Portishead and some other artists, and I don't necessarily know all the genre conventions, so take this feedback with a grain of salt. One thing that I noticed is that your drum kit sounds too realistic. I like the way your drums sound and I think they work for the song, but I'm mentioning it because it doesn't necessarily say trip hop to me.

The other thing is that most of the trip hop I've heard is fairly reserved melodically. There's a lot of emphasis on the percussion and bass. And most of the melodic content come from the vocals.

That said, I think you have a cool style on its own. The souncloud description says it's a sketch, so I'm curious if you had more in mind for a full version or if you're just doing more of a genre study. It might be interesting to throw a lo-fi effect or a filter or something on the start of the song, and then automate the effect off when 0:44 hits. I already like that moment, but I think a more dramatic change might serve the song well.

Cool track.

@Solvent - Glad you were able to solve your hardware woes with relative ease. Always frustrating to deal with such things inhibiting creative effort.

As to the draft, it doesn't really work for me until the back end, when the piano shifts to a more triumphant harmonic foundation. The effect used on the low-end pad sickens ever so slightly with its yawing modulation: not my favorite.

That said, I think it's certainly a good jump-off point for further exploration. If the intent is to pursue a more definite "this is trip hop" kind of vibe, I suppose you might actually want to lean into that sickening pad I described and flesh out a hazy harmonic backdrop upon which the rhythmic components skitter and thump. As to Halibut's concerns about the sound of the drums, I think the main issue is likely the booming room sound of the kick drum — while likely a consequence of how drum samples tended to be EQ'd back in the day, so much of trip hop seems defined by a kick sound that eschews most of the mechanical/room qualities of the component.

Finally think I might be finished with this, one of the final sections in my overgrown album of jazzy ambient spaceouts.

Soundcloud sure does mutilate the timbre, but no biggie.

From the initial improvisational piano session that spawned this material, this was one of the earliest drafts. I think I posted a portion of it like... three years ago? Sheesh.

Not entirely satisfied with bits and bobs, but I think some of that personal dissatisfaction is ok here, as this piece more than the rest was always intended to be an expression of my anxiety.

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I performed a synth patch “live” on a stream, and when I listen back I don’t hate it, so I’m sharing it. I sincerely hope you also do not hate it, dear reader. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1060681215?t=112s

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
    Just a reminder for myself to get back to this thread, listen to your tunes, then getting making more of my own.