As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Hey another real question. The Glock handbook included with my G19 recommended to field strip and clean after every shooting. Is that for real or is there a number of rounds you all would suggest as the cleaning threshold?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Lol this "deal" for 70 CPR was definitely made for me though. Someone new to the culture with money and no experience.

You should see the kind of shit people are trying to pull on armslist. I saw a used Hi Point Carbine for $500 (pre panic these would cost around $260 brand new), and a guy selling an AR-15 that was comprised of an M&P Sport II upper and barrel, a PSA lower, and some Magpul furniture for $1,000 (essentially $500 worth of rifle, $100 worth of replacement parts, and $400 worth of mark up). Since gun owners be definition already own guns, price markups on guns like this disproportionally impact people who are new and are trying to buy their first gun, which really sucks, because the more lawful gun owners there are the more gun owners there will be who are voting on gun laws.

Speaking of AR-15s, prices are still pretty ridiculous, but considering the uhhh... language that is coming out of the White House right now, now might be a good time to pick up an AR if any of you have ever wanted one but haven't pulled the trigger (sorry) yet. Or an AR-10. Or an AK. Or basically anything that looks "scary". Buy a rifle, is what I'm saying.

Are we permitted to discuss Gun Control or Gun Laws through the lens of our own experience? Because I learned a lot of things about what I would call Gun Culture through my first purchase and subsequent shooting that I would not have ever appreciated before.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Best stay faaaar away from it for safety. Personally I'd love to talk NZ gun ownership as that's where I am and I'm sure you people in other countries would appreciate the differences/similarities but at the same time I really really don't want to invite even the potential of gun control discussion because I really like this thread.

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I got my Palmetto State AK-47 GF5 last week. I haven't been able to take it to the range (my usual range doesn't allow steel cased ammo[?!?] and getting brass cased 7.62x39 is rough), but the fitment seems great. Finish is a bit hit or miss, but it's an AK so I just embrace it.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Doc wrote: »
    I got my Palmetto State AK-47 GF5 last week. I haven't been able to take it to the range (my usual range doesn't allow steel cased ammo[?!?] and getting brass cased 7.62x39 is rough), but the fitment seems great. Finish is a bit hit or miss, but it's an AK so I just embrace it.

Are they varnished? Maybe they don't want to pick out the steel casing when sorting out all the brass. I imagine that would have to be a by hand process versus the mechanical process by size. Also c'mon man, no pictures? :D

As far as gun culture, I'd be interested in discussing it in PM if you want @MegaMan001 , and include @Gvzbgul ? I shoot on private property so I don't have much interaction with the greature gun culture at large beyond the net and my experience in the archery field, which has a lot of crossover.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Yes, I believe that's why.

They could probably just drag a magnet through it, but it wouldn't catch aluminum cases, so it's easier to just say "brass only."

I have their top tier membership so I could probably get away with going with a brass catcher, but that becomes a whole thing.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in hearing a new person's thoughts on gun ownership, if you could find the right place to post them.

Also what is it with gun ranges and brass catchers? I've heard multiple stories of ranges banning them. I shoot innawoods so I don't really know what the environment is like at a range, what do they have against them?

I'd be interested in hearing a new person's thoughts on gun ownership, if you could find the right place to post them.

Also what is it with gun ranges and brass catchers? I've heard multiple stories of ranges banning them. I shoot innawoods so I don't really know what the environment is like at a range, what do they have against them?

They collect the brass and sell it to companies that remanufacture/reload it. My range doesn't ban them, but once it hits the floor it's their property.

Doc wrote: »

They collect the brass and sell it to companies that remanufacture/reload it. My range doesn't ban them, but once it hits the floor it's their property.

My Range Master expressly told me that any casings that fell on the little shelf in my range area were to be brushed FORWARD and not backward to be collected by the range.

Well, I guess I'll type up what my experience was a first time gun permit application / purchaser was, and if we see any mod approval I'll post here under a spoiler as to not disrupt the conversation.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Man, that seems super dumb. Every range I've been to you are free to pic up your own casings.
    Took my brand new first gun purchase to the range today, Glock 19 Gen 5.

I told the range master before I went in that this was my first time shooting without an instructor (from the same range) so he literally stood behind me for my first magazine fire.

He corrected two mistakes I made. First I turned the gun to the side to inspect the chamber and the magazine to ensure they were empty before placing the gun down instead of turning my body (so the gun would always face downrange) while performing those checks.

He then pointed out while I was reloading a magazine I turned the magazine to the side rather than again, facing it down range while reloading. He then introduced me to a speed loader which wow, that makes it a lot easier.

I ended up on the middle of the range with shooters to either side. One of which was firing some hand cannon that looked like Dirty Harry's magnum. It was hard to get into a comfortable meditative shooting mind, but still had fun.

I haven't been able to find any 9mm FMJ ammo online so I was limited to the 50 rounds per member on the range per visit, but I feel like I learned a lot.

Never heard of that one before

I didn't really understand it either, but I'm very new to this and I completely subscribe to my own inexperience and that the Range Master is God.

Now that I think about it I think it is probably an extension of "always think about where your ammunition is pointed" philosophy?

Never a bad mind set. They are there for safety, and if you dont like their rules you can find another range.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    First time gunowner impressions are absolutely what I would love to see in this thread I made.

I think we've still got an active gun control thread somewhere too for talk on that.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hey another real question. The Glock handbook included with my G19 recommended to field strip and clean after every shooting. Is that for real or is there a number of rounds you all would suggest as the cleaning threshold?

It's real in that it's the company recommendation to minimizes the chance of something malfunctioning in the gun and an owner complaining to the company. A Glock is robust and could go multiple range trips without cleaning and be just fine.

That said, anything you don't clean out of a gun after a range trip is still going to be there waiting for you and disassembling a Glock for cleaning is super simple. You might as well clean it if you have time.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    @MegaMan001 just keep in mind this time last year 9mm Ammo was 16 cpr rather than the 4-6x price increase you are seeing now, so if you find anything for 48cpr snap it up.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I personally always disassemble and reassemble any new firearm purchase so that I know how to do it, and it gives me a chance to check the fittings on everything, re-apply oil, etc.

As for routine cleanings, if I just go into the backyard and shoot 20 rounds because I'm checking sights or something I probably won't clean it, if I go to a range and throw a few boxes down it I will 100% clean it after.

That's just me though, opinions on gun cleaning will vary wildly and they're all mostly valid.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Also, if you're not planning on hitting the range for a whiles, clean it. Don't want that crap sitting and hardening in the barrel.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    @MegaMan001 just keep in mind this time last year 9mm Ammo was 16 cpr rather than the 4-6x price increase you are seeing now, so if you find anything for 48cpr snap it up.

Yea anything under 50c is a great deal right now, anything under 40c is unicorn ammo.

I pulled the cleaning rod on my PSAK and it wouldn't go back on. After pulling things apart a bit, it seems like the bullet guide rivet wasn't squashed flat enough against the bottom of the receiver and the cleaning rod hangs up on it. I got it back in by pulling the rod away from it and lightly tapping it into place.

Now I get to decide if I want to try to file a chamfer into the rivet or just leave it as is, since I have a better (not steel) cleaning rod anyway.

So far the PSA AK seems a lot like other AKs!

webguy20 wrote: »

Yea anything under 50c is a great deal right now, anything under 40c is unicorn ammo.

There was a 9mm Sig Sauer brand drop today around 0450 per that reddit thread which immediately sold out. Didn't get it because I was asleep.

edited February 2021

There was a 9mm Sig Sauer brand drop today around 0450 per that reddit thread which immediately sold out. Didn't get it because I was asleep.

Yea sig drops at like 7am eastern. Great ammo, but I don't want to set an alarm clock for it.

Oh yea if you haven't, make accounts for Sig, Natchez and Federal. That way you can already be logged in and ready to go in case of an ammo drop. It goes that fast.

webguy20 on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

Yea sig drops at like 7am eastern. Great ammo, but I don't want to set an alarm clock for it.

Oh yea if you haven't, make accounts for Sig, Natchez and Federal. That way you can already be logged in and ready to go in case of an ammo drop. It goes that fast.

I must miss these. All the alerts I see are about 5:15EST. Been successful a couple times.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      Ammoshop Online has some 9mm FMJ in stock right now per that Reddit. Grabbed some for the range!

• [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
      RANGE DAY! First on of the year. Rationed out my 9mm so only took about 150 rounds with me, only ended up using about 80 of them though. Burned through some AK mags but my attention was mostly on the M&P 15-22 pistol I just picked up. I have the rifle version of it, and it was fun but this is almost stupid levels of .22 fun. Very light, very compact, no recoil. Worth every penny for the amount of joy it brought me today. 10/10 would recommend.

3l46kllh.jpg
      LpxnXruh.jpg
      Is1uRlah.jpg

I love "Full Size" 22 mags. Always funny to see. What's in the pistol case?

• [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
      In the pistol case from left to right - CZ SP01, 75B, P10C, P09 and then the P10F....are you seeing a trend? Silver pistol on top is a S&W victory .22

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
      A month later and I was finally able pick this up from my lgs.

Going to take it out on Sunday and put about 350 rounds through it.
      mmxwc61o1xa4.jpg
      yzgr56awkrep.jpg

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
      ― John Quincy Adams
      I have a strong lust for the AKV, like...super strong. I'm jelly.

The AK-V shot great. The Romeo 5 I tossed on it was pretty much zeroed out of the box.

Think I put about 250 rounds through it. Was a pretty big mix of ammo too. Even shot a mag of steel cased and it chewed right through it.

The Scorpion Evo 3 PMags that I bought take some force to seat right if the bolt is not locked back. If it is they lock in just as easy as the PSA mags. Didn't have any actual Scorpion mags to test out.

The one thing I don't like about it was the tanker style muzzle brake. It just sucks.

I already bought and put on a Bulgarian 4-piece flash can.

And I just bought an AK ION 9.0 Lite MLOK-A EXT from SLR Rifleworks. Hopefully that ships quick as the Magpul crap that's on there now has to go.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
      ― John Quincy Adams
      New guns tomorrow! I'm excited!

New guns tomorrow! I'm excited!

Don't leave us hanging, what new guns and pics of same?

It was only one gun. Waiting to get the other two for the pics.

Also, stupid question. I accidentally loaded up the wrong snap caps into one of my rifles. It took a lot of force to get it out (had to use a cleaning rod like a ram rod). Is there any chance I damaged the gun?

It was only one gun. Waiting to get the other two for the pics.

Also, stupid question. I accidentally loaded up the wrong snap caps into one of my rifles. It took a lot of force to get it out (had to use a cleaning rod like a ram rod). Is there any chance I damaged the gun?

Not really. Snap Caps are a relatively soft aluminum vs the steel of the chamber that is designed to contain a pretty powerful explosion. No contest, the snap cap deformed to the chamber vs the other way around.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
      edited March 2021
      This is a bit old but the comment reminded me of a story from my very first 'Intro to Firearms' class.

During the class the instructor used an old G3 Glock 19 to show us the fundamentals, then casually mentioned that he'd picked up that particular Glock 19 from an ex-cop who'd carried it for years but basically never fired it. He then said that he was using it to test out the supposed legendary Glock reliability. He made it a point to never clean it and keep track of the round count so he could see just how long a Glock could go without cleaning before it started acting up. He made sure loan it to a student in every class and let them use it. Each class had folks fire through 50 rounds.

As of my class that particular Glock had had just over 5,000 rounds run through it and it still functioned just fine.

So for myself, I clean my Glock when I feel like cleaning it. But then, I kind of like cleaning my guns. It's got a zen-like quality that I enjoy.

Snake Gandhi on
      This is a fascinating pistol. I'd love to shoot one.

https://youtu.be/lWgPV75BLHs

Manufacturer Webpage

My other 2 guns were delivered on the 14th so I'm just playing the waiting game now.

edited March 2021
      So far the upgrades I have gotten for my AKV:
      ALG trigger, SLR AK ION 9.0 Lite MLOK-A EXT handguard, SLR linear comp with a TiN finish, Zenitco RP-2 charging handle and RK-3 gen 2 pistol grip, Fortis Shift vertical grip and some rail scales
      Also Taccom extended mag release and bolt release.

I may have went a little Escape from Tarkov larping on this build but she is gonna be sexy.

I did also buy an SLR B-15 Ambi builders set. I didn't realize they offered a 20% military discount. Couldn't pass up that price when they came into stock.

Edit: Thanks @Doc for the reminder about the whole vertical grip crap for 'pistols', I submitted my Form 1 a couple weeks ago and I heard they are processing pretty quick. So it will probably beat the grip getting shipped to me anyways :)

Bloodycow on
      ― John Quincy Adams
      First Time Gun Owner / Complete Novice Experience!
      To reiterate, I shot a gun for the first time about one year ago. Prior to that I had never held a gun, owned a gun, or even lived in a house where guns were kept. I think the only time I had ever even been in the same room as a gun before a year ago was in college at a buddies house after hitting all the local bars. He pulled out a hand gun and asked if I wanted to hold it. I told him I absolutely did not and excused myself and left. We never hung out together again, but unsure if that was related to my reaction.

With that said, I was one hundred percent in favor of stricter gun control. Guns, to me, were things that were made to kill other people and I felt if we had fewer of those things around, it would probably be a good idea. I recognize now that my beliefs were rooted more in fear of guns themselves, fear of 'gun culture', and a broad naivete.

March, 2020 made me think about getting a gun for the first time. I had a three year old little girl and my wife was pregnant with our second. We had bought a house about 25 minutes from nearest police station and I started thinking, "Well, if anyone were to try and harm my family there's likely nothing I could really do about it." I say that fully understanding the likelihood of someone targeting our home, while we were home, and who decided to enter anyway (after knowing the house was occupied) is astronomically low. But, as I've learned with a lot of things, its different when you're thinking about your own family.

I sought the advice of this thread and an old friend of mine who is an avid shooter and came up with a game plan.

I took two hour long introductory classes at my local range where I learned the four rules of shooting, basic stance technique, and safety rules. I went back and forth from getting a shotgun versus handgun, because again - this was to be strictly for home defense and target shooting. I got swung to a handgun because it became clear it would be far easier to train with a handgun than shotgun. Safety and training was, and still is, my number one goal. I filled out the paperwork for a 'Permit to Purchase', which took about two weeks to be completed, and I put my order in at the range and waited...about seven months with it not showing up. Not entirely sure if that was just a ripple effect of global commerce and manufacturing collapsing during COVID 19 or what, but I finally found one online at a not terrible markup and had it shipped to the range for transfer.

I finally got my hands on my Glock 19 Gen 5 in December, 2020 and found out that...ammunition wasn't available anywhere locally. The range reserves one 50 round box of ammunition per person per range session, which is what I was shooting weekly until this thread thankfully introduced me to the In Stock Ammo thread on reddit. I cannot thank this community enough for that because it has been the only source of ammunition I've been able to get my hands on. Since I got some extra ammunition via reddit I've been shooting 100 rounds a week for the last seven weeks or so. I feel a lot more confident in my safety and muzzle discipline.

My 'Permit to Purchase' here in Minnesota is going to expire in the next month. I spoke to the local police department and confirmed via state law that I can legally transfer a firearm provided it is transported unloaded and in a restricted case (I transport mine in the Glock box which has a padlock on it, unloaded with a chamber lock on it, and in my truck bed which as a locked tonneau cover on it and I also keep the original bill of sale and transfer paperwork in that same case). Right now, I don't feel like I have the training or the confidence to have my conceal carry permit, but I might take a class in the next year or so if for no other reason than it makes transporting the gun a little less onerous.

I'd say my overall experience was positive. The regulations to purchase a hand gun didn't feel particularly difficult and most everyone I've met through shooting have been nice and welcoming. I find shooting a lot less intimidating and I'm working very hard on learning the terminology so I don't sound like such a novice. The only negative part of shooting has been encountering some people who are really into GUN CULTURE. There seems to be a sharp division between people who enjoy shooting and are otherwise well rounded and those who have embraced GUNS as a form of self identity and relentless comment on the government, Democrats, and gun control. Those guys make me feel uncomfortable, but that's as far as I'll go into my thoughts on the culture for now.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
      Anyone seeing any good deals on 5.56? I'm getting my send COVID vaccine shot next week. I'm planning a trip up to the range in a month or so and was hoping to find some cheap stuff for plinking.

That_Guy wrote: »
      Anyone seeing any good deals on 5.56? I'm getting my send COVID vaccine shot next week. I'm planning a trip up to the range in a month or so and was hoping to find some cheap stuff for plinking.

Watch ammo deals on reddit. Nothing great though between mfg cost increases and continued hoarding/bots.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
      Cheapest brass looks like 78cpr for a case of 250 on ammoseek right now, cheapest steel is 65cpr for a case of 1k. Boxes of 20 starting around 70cpr.

nibXTE7.png