As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021

Don't worry, folks. We don't want to encourage people to kill Bigfoot here in Oklahoma.
    Paragraph 4 is so important.
    State Rep. Justin Humphrey (R-Lane) this week filed legislation that would establish a Bigfoot hunting season.

House Bill 1648 would direct the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Division to establish the annual dates of the season and creating any necessary specific hunting licenses and fees.

"Tourism is one of the biggest attractions we have in my House district," Humphrey said. "Establishing an actual hunting season and issuing licenses for people who want to hunt Bigfoot will just draw more people to our already beautiful part of the state. It will be a great way for people to enjoy our area and to have some fun."

Humphrey said he doesn’t want people to actually kill Bigfoot, so he will be working with the state wildlife and tourism departments to craft final language for his bill that specifies only the trapping of Bigfoot.

He also hopes to secure at least a $25,000 bounty for the first person to trap the creature.

"A lot of people don’t believe in Bigfoot, but a lot of people do," Humphrey said. "Just like some people like to go deer hunting, while some don’t."“Having a license and a tag would give people a way to prove they participated in the hunt,” Humphrey said.

"Again, the overall goal is to get people to our area to enjoy the natural beauty and to have a great time, and if they find Bigfoot while they’re at it, well hey, that’s just an even bigger prize."

Humphrey said he’s filed numerous pieces of legislation this year on more serious matters, but to him, tourism is just as important to his House district for the amount of dollars it draws.

Humphrey said the town of Honobia already has an annual Bigfoot festival each October, so the hunting season ideally would coincide with that.

Dillon Richards is a reporter for KOCO, an Oklahoma City ABC news affiliate. He's probably the best source for covid statistics, ongoing court cases, and bigfoot-related news in Oklahoma.

Justin Humphrey is some knob who got a bunch of people from one of the less populous corners of Oklahoma to vote him in as state representative, probably as a mean-spirited joke.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its actually pretty smart of him to rip off dumb people and also make sure idiots dont go into the woods with loaded weapons ready to shoot anything on two legs

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Crafting it as some quasi-official novelty license to promote tourism and state income while also making sure people aren't going to shoot at any man-shaped shadows they see doesn't sound like the worst idea in the world. I'm sure the people living in his district would prefer to have a lawmaker that was promoting helpful policy but you take what you get I suppose.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    sound on:

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    sound on:

Get that girl a horror movie contract STAT.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Karen of the Boreal Valley (Original) 0:33
    https://youtu.be/5p1N3VyTcdw

Lower volume, music loud

edit: If this is a medical condition and not trained please tell me and I will take this down

Peas on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    she's really good at quadrupedal movement

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    okay so my little cousin is over and he's been into ghosts lately so I told him that a ghost I call "Dave" haunts my house and he was like "oh I've seen Dave. He has a beard like you and wears a lumberjack shirt and a baseball hat but no eyes."

Dave does not exist, but that was the basically the exact description I was going to give of him.

so now I'm kind of worried that either my cousin is an Esper or that we've accidentally birthed a Tulpa or something.

fuck I hope I don't see Dave.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    It's cool Dave's not here man

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Today I learned about forams. This may not work the same for everyone, but I find the idea of a single-celled organism that can capture and digest complex life through its web of sticky spines terrifying.

Here are some videos of foram eating a brine shrimp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYQNt52tiVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pJH-wHeYt0

I especially like the horror aura of the first video, since it almost looks like a planet or a sun and a starship being pulled inexorably inward towards destruction. The second video is great since it shows that even a very small foram can still eat a brine shrimp and the brine shrimp can do nothing.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Get the dandruff shampoo ready

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I see what you did there Riptor.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    vqvtxbocqz0w.jpg
    From reddit

They're dreaming of Zanarkand....

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the snowmen horrors from Calvin and Hobbes.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The One Reborn (as a Snow Abomination)

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the snowmen horrors from Calvin and Hobbes.

I was about to say, the Snow Goons are massing pretty hard.

Also, thanks brain, I definitely wanted a dream where my mother was possessed, that was a very cool and not at all awful thing to be woken up by.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    "hearing some rumors of seeing some sightings of something" :lol:

a good portion of my teen life was spent driving around and going to haunted/spooky places and taking lame teenager pictures of them.
    one time we were in good ol' Pennhurst, before they ruined it. we were poking around, looking at stuff, trying to find a room we heard had been turned into a cool hangout with candles and shit

we hear a creak, a shuffle, and lift our flashlights and phones and one of us had an actual camera

our flashlights fall upon what I assume to be a homeless person and not one of the Woodsmen from Twin Peaks, but he was like, mid sasquatch stride and turns to us and starts screaming and running at us.
    we sprinted clean out of the place, lights swinging, constant flashing from my friend's camera.

once we got out the window we came in, we turn back and the guy is at the window, waves and smiles, and turns back to the darkness.

my one friend had gotten a lot of terrified, frantic pictures of this guy chasing us. dude had a big ol' smile on his face as he was chasing us. not an evil gonna getcha smile, just excited.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    a good portion of my teen life was spent driving around and going to haunted/spooky places and taking lame teenager pictures of them.
    one time we were in good ol' Pennhurst, before they ruined it. we were poking around, looking at stuff, trying to find a room we heard had been turned into a cool hangout with candles and shit

we hear a creak, a shuffle, and lift our flashlights and phones and one of us had an actual camera

our flashlights fall upon what I assume to be a homeless person and not one of the Woodsmen from Twin Peaks, but he was like, mid sasquatch stride and turns to us and starts screaming and running at us.
    we sprinted clean out of the place, lights swinging, constant flashing from my friend's camera.

once we got out the window we came in, we turn back and the guy is at the window, waves and smiles, and turns back to the darkness.

my one friend had gotten a lot of terrified, frantic pictures of this guy chasing us. dude had a big ol' smile on his face as he was chasing us. not an evil gonna getcha smile, just excited.

Dude got to scooby doo a bunch of teens, probably made his night

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah bud I'd be fuckin spooking teens like Nobody's Business I might even get a glowing suit of armor or a pirate costume and a fog machine! Look at me, I look like Johnny Depp!

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I don't know if the Gettysburg video I posted is bullshit.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I mean, here's the scoop and I'm gonna tell ya. They're all bullshit

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I don't know if the Gettysburg video I posted is bullshit.

It is like 15 minutes worth of after affects for a school project or something

I'm not trying to be mean about this, I wanna be clear. This is a fun thread, I like reading personal stories of weird encounters especially (and I always try to accept the personal experience of the writer even if I come to a different conclusion about what it means). I like pics and videos of spooky locations and such as that. Even a doctored image or video can be fun from an artistic standpoint or whatever

But not a one of the videos posted by anyone in this thread or indeed any other thread is capturing some sort of spectre from the beyond. And that's okay

all ghosts are real ghosts, even fake ghosts are real ghosts if you're doing it right

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    all ghosts are real ghosts, even fake ghosts are real ghosts if you're doing it right

even grey ghost is a real ghost

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Ghosts are 100% real. I get ghosted on every dating site Ive ever been on. :rotate:

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be mean about this, I wanna be clear. This is a fun thread, I like reading personal stories of weird encounters especially (and I always try to accept the personal experience of the writer even if I come to a different conclusion about what it means). I like pics and videos of spooky locations and such as that. Even a doctored image or video can be fun from an artistic standpoint or whatever

But not a one of the videos posted by anyone in this thread or indeed any other thread is capturing some sort of spectre from the beyond. And that's okay

100%

I adore spooky stuff. Adore horror writing and world building, I love creepypasta, I love spooky photoshops and video edits and elaborate hoaxes

I love all of it up until someone claims it's real evidence of the paranormal.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm quite alright with people believing stories or having experiences. But I get real bugged when someone takes a fictional story and removes the attribution or context to make it look real. Eg, the mermaid mockumentary. That's more of a bugbear with the internet in general, not just creepy stuff (eg, security cam footage from movies that gets passed off as real life "two skaters stop armed robbery").

edited February 2021
    I'm a weirdo who believes ghosts, angels and devils are real, but don't think anyone has video evidence of those things. Or at least has never seen a convincing video of those things. While I still like spooky stories that involve those elements, when it comes to internet videos I lean towards natural disasters and true crime videos for my scares, since no one in those videos is trying to fake me out about how "unexplainable" a ghost video is.

Speaking of that, the algorithm recently got me hooked on a small youtube channel called Fascinating Horror which is entirely about natural disasters, large scale industrial accidents, and amusement park deaths. If that's your thing I recommend it:

https://youtube.com/c/FascinatingHorror

Cambiata on
    I am just so constantly disappointed in the mundanity of existence that I secretly, in my heart of hearts, crave ghosts and monsters and bigfoots.

it's like, "Americans are forever searching for love in forms it never takes, in places it can never be. It must have something to do with the vanished frontier."

Existence is crazy! this planet is full of, and in fact ruled by, weird monsters made of tiny pieces of junk that fell from the stars, who build fantastical machines and can communicate across an entire planet using invisible waves. it's just because we are those monsters that it feels mundane

I tell you if ghosts and monsters and Bigfoots were real - well, Bigfoots are real, but I digress - I'd give you about 10 years of the public knowing about them before they became just as mundane. we'd be chasing the ghosts away from our garbage cans at night and trying to get around that Bigfoot on the subway and wishing there were yet weirder and crazier things out there for us to encounter

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I love watching a couple of youtube channels, This is Dan Bell and The Proper People, who explore creepy abandoned places.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Existence is crazy! this planet is full of, and in fact ruled by, weird monsters made of tiny pieces of junk that fell from the stars, who build fantastical machines and can communicate across an entire planet using invisible waves. it's just because we are those monsters that it feels mundane

I tell you if ghosts and monsters and Bigfoots were real - well, Bigfoots are real, but I digress - I'd give you about 10 years of the public knowing about them before they became just as mundane. we'd be chasing the ghosts away from our garbage cans at night and trying to get around that Bigfoot on the subway and wishing there were yet weirder and crazier things out there for us to encounter

all I have ever wanted is to chase a ghost out of my house with a broom because it was haunting my bathroom.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm a weirdo who believes ghosts, angels and devils are real, but don't think anyone has video evidence of those things. Or at least has never seen a convincing video of those things. While I still like spooky stories that involve those elements, when it comes to internet videos I lean towards natural disasters and true crime videos for my scares, since no one in those videos is trying to fake me out about how "unexplainable" a ghost video is.

Speaking of that, the algorithm recently got me hooked on a small youtube channel called Fascinating Horror which is entirely about natural disasters, large scale industrial accidents, and amusement park deaths. If that's your thing I recommend it:

I'm with you on that. Occam's razor applies first, of course; but I've heard enough stories from enough people I know well to believe that there is definitely more going on in this here world than meets the eye.

I also think ghosts or whatever are probably the spiritual, for lack of a better term, equivalent of wildlife and/or natural processes just doing their thing - they just seem otherworldly to us because we haven't figured out how to quantify that stuff yet.

Calica on
    Calica wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

I'm with you on that. Occam's razor applies first, of course; but I've heard enough stories from enough people I know well to believe that there is definitely more going on in this here world than meets the eye.

I also think ghosts or whatever are probably the spiritual, for lack of a better term, equivalent of wildlife and/or natural processes just doing their thing - they just seem otherworldly to us because we haven't figured out how to quantify that stuff yet.

Oh yes, my personal theory is that ghosts, angels and demons are all beings with more than four dimensions, so if we experience one then it's only a slice of who they are which is why they appear so peculiar. I especially like this theory because it explains why angels sound so bizarre as described in the bible (wheels within wheels covered in eyes, that sort of thing). This would also explain any legitimate future-sight, because a 5th dimensional being would be able to see the fourth dimension - time - all at the same time, and such beings could potentially drop hints about the way that landscape looks.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I've talked to three people who have worked the Seattle Underground that were all skeptics, and now all believe in super- or preternatural shit in some degree or form. Apparently that place is Capital H Haunted.