As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Well, I figured out why this gray looks like it does. It's a primer! The label on it actually said red but a quick spritz confirmed that it was the cap which told the truth.

Anyways, I'm almost done with the Lightning Gundam. Maybe I'll freehand a 電 (inazuma, "lightning") on it somewhere.

One more thing I've become aware of is how much more invested I feel with the end product. Even on a more complex model there's just something missing at the end of a snap build.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That's what I'm finding. Yes, it's taking me two fucking months to complete this perfect grade. But it feels like it is... mine, if that makes sense? It isn't throwaway or anything. The panel lining helped, but this definitely amps it up. Maybe painting is that final step for me too. I can't see myself doing kitbashing, as I'm not creative enough for that. Just knowing the pain of every detail on it is wild.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Even if you don't want to change the colors painting the inner frame is very satisfying.

steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That's where I hope to start.

OMG. After 2 snow days where I just wanted to zone out and work, I am through another major milestone! Specifically, the first big chunk of decals are done! These are the small warning ones, including ones that I really wanted to cuss at quite a bit over placement and such. But... it's getting there. And that makes me feel great.

I counted... and I have 118 more decals to apply (upper bound) on the model. A good chunk of those are warning bands, especially for the guns. But there's also some of the "anime" detail and bigger decals in here too.

I'm noticing the adhesion isn't that great on some pieces, so I think I need to clean my brush. I also am going to go over the whole decal set with one more pass of Set / Sol once it is all done. so far I've been doing an initial Set for placement, another set pass about 5-10 mins later (basically after the next bit of decaling is done), and then a Sol pass to finish the night. But despite my efforts to track the decals I've done, these longer days are making it harder for me to remember specifics.

The shields are like 90% done now with their markings. They just have a couple more warning bits and the Unicorn logo.

Ac2sZ5gh.jpg

Sometimes you just gotta spread your legs, you know? --- I found this was the easiest way to apply symmetrical decals on the inner/outer legs. I'm glad the wires were flexible enough to allow this.

mG6UxTxh.jpg

Here's my progress so far. I haven't been marking the Full Armor instructions the same way, but for Final Battle I've been filling in the decals as I go so I know which ones I've done and how much more I still have to do, relatively speaking. It has let me catch a couple points where I forgot something.

PydvqgDh.jpg

Here's my decal sheet remnants, and overall supply. Thing is, I know these are consumables, and things are already thrown off because I accidentally spilled about 1/2 the bottle of Micro Set. But MAN, doing this many decals and you can definitely see the supplies running out.

mujbO0Gh.jpg?1

And here's the big guy himself. I haven't clipped in the wires / connected the waist properly because there is still... well.. 118 decals to go. But he's definitely getting there.

ZH4r83Hh.jpg

Nice Smooth Criminal lean you got going there, Unicorn...

CsgxrVyh.jpg

PxALiGch.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Ahaha, another second of spray and I would've got it! But my first can of gray ran dry riiight at the end.

On the plus side, this guy should be done within the hour!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Holy fuck.

I don't see a more reasonable link, so apologies for it being Facebook.. but holy fuck. Someone's making a 1/400 scale SDF-1 Macross. And they are making it able to transform!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MacrossFanCentral/permalink/1341055116255245/

xE1oVkZh.jpg

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    god damng, they're even building in a macross city inside it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I want that so much.

He done!

oo85sny.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ooh, someone on reddit is selling the Nilson Works Grey Frame Astray. $230 for a bootleg is spicy, but... I'm kinda tempted. D:

Oh brilliant
    At that price, get the PG Astray Red Frame Kai. I have the Nilson Works Red Frame and it is mostly just an oversized MG Astray Red Frame.

Yeah, I've thought better on it, gonna wait til I can get it cheaper. I do still want the Nilson one, though - I think the upscaled MG aesthetic is better than the legit PG. Something about the official PG Red Frame's proportions feel off to me.

Oh brilliant
    I need to stop caring about 1/4 millimeter offsets and the like. >.<

On the plus side, it's looking good? :D

Got 4 gatling cannons marked up, got 7 more decals on this set to go. There's still a ton of them, but this is the only 18-count one I have left.

And I'm also really happy with how the emblem shields ended up. Admittedly one is off-center, but only by a mm or so.

URWxrExh.jpg

FluSYNph.jpg

txuSXvph.jpg

xarWws7h.jpg

YNlENslh.jpg

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Seems like new P-Bandai kits are dropping right now including this rad looking Crossbone Gundam:

And also this fancy version of the RG Eva Unit 01 that I really mostly want for the rad as hell AT Field?

There's also a Ver. Ka Crossbone coming.. At first I thought your post there was US availability for it.

http://gundamnews.org/master-grade-crossbone-gundam-x-1-patchwork-ver-ka-announced

I am debating this. I was thinking RG Crossbone, but it is SO SMALL. And it seems collecting Ver. Ka is becoming a... thing for me. Still would prefer PG, but ain't happening.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Gaaaah, missed that when I was looking at the p-bandai homepage.

Now that I'm looking at pictures of it, I'm not a fan of the bright blue. Just... doesn't work.

So now I'm sitting here and going... do I buy this and then paint it? Do I make that my next big goal in model kits?

Edit: Oh, looks like there is a normal MG Crossbone Ver. Ka, that has the color scheme I was expecting in dark gray. It doesn't have the ostentatious chestplate skull though, and it looks like the accessory loadout is different.

Athenor on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    That HG Crossbone Full Cloth might actually be cheaper than you are liable to find any of the wide release ones at this point.

Really wish it had a Peacock Shooter though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I got a shipping notification from Gundam Planet for a kit I didn't even remember ordering, I have a problem

Athenor wrote: »
    Gaaaah, missed that when I was looking at the p-bandai homepage.

Now that I'm looking at pictures of it, I'm not a fan of the bright blue. Just... doesn't work.

So now I'm sitting here and going... do I buy this and then paint it? Do I make that my next big goal in model kits?

Edit: Oh, looks like there is a normal MG Crossbone Ver. Ka, that has the color scheme I was expecting in dark gray. It doesn't have the ostentatious chestplate skull though, and it looks like the accessory loadout is different.

Bright blue can be fixed in like 5 minuted with a can of spray paint.

steam_sig.png
    yeah, but I'm still more a fan of the original's chest piece, just really want that hook accessory. :) So basically no reason to go for the P-bandai over the general release in this case.

Pretty sure I finished painting this like 2 weeks ago and forgot to post it.

41nt692ap9w0.jpg

Next up is a bunch of waterslides for a different kit cause I am lazy and just start new stuff.

steam_sig.png
    My God, I REALLY need to paint the inner frames.

For all intents and purposes, the shields and gatling guns are done! The only bit left are the warning stripes on the primary shield, which will come a bit later due to where they are placed on the decal sheet.

rUWO5Skh.jpg

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    My God, I REALLY need to paint the inner frames.

I’m doing painting for the first time and did the inner frame in just basic ass gunmetal and... yeah, it rules. It looks great! Do it!

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I REALLY need to get back to making my Sandrock.

I finished the head like a month ago and just keep putting it off.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited February 2021
    Supernova Hayate Liger has arrived!

411Tu6kl.jpg

Initial impressions; nice plastic and most of it is going together no problem. The yellow blades beneath the jaw was awkward, had to trim the pegs to get it into place, and a bunch of these blades and his sunglasses could fall off with little provocation, but I'm liking it so far!

Comes with a bonus stand for the Murasame Liger too! Neat.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    edited February 2021
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

QFL4Izkh.jpg

Despite feeling like crap today, I did get in a few hours of decal work. I also started what I would consider "final assembly."

The shields are done. I did find one was mis-assembled from before, but now I've got them like the instructions say and it's holding together much better. I cannot begin to express how much of a pain in the ass the "Warning" stripes on the primary shield were. I'm growing to hate large decals because I have to move them with my fingers and getting them flat is soooo hard.

8B70Fuih.jpg

TBBbcBxh.jpg

SiwgEB2h.jpg

The boosters are coming along too. I did get out a tape measure to check alignments and such. I have in mind some other tools that can help me long term. The vast majority of the remaining decals go on the boosters.

5cMluMHh.jpg

The bazookas are done as well.

B4KFGHzh.jpg

And finally the legs are done. Because all that is left are decals on the upper arms, chest, and shoulders, it becomes much easier to decal things with the body assembled. And thus... it is back together.

JZXqL94h.jpg

Tomorrow. Tomorrow, I am very certain I will get this done. 2 months of working on this project (with some lego building in-between) ... I don't think I'll ever have a model with this many decals, as even the Banshee's a bit more reasonable. But man. This sucker....

Athenor on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yo those decals look sick though

BahamutZERO.gif
    A few aren't setting flat, but none have really fallen off. I am going to go over the entire model with a set/sol pass once I'm done, see if I can get them flat and such. There's also a lot of residue I need to clean up.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    GM Night Seeker arrived today; Pale Rider Space Type and Todesritter just shipped

Here we go

edited February 2021
    Oh thank God, I made it through the main body decal process without breaking any wires.

Edit: And now I'm working on the booster stripes. Which are, naturally, being quite annoying.

Edit 2: Two rips! One was like the decal just split apart... I don't think you'll notice when it is dried though.

Athenor on
    edited February 2021
    Okay, what the fuck? Is there such a thing as these decal sheets not being formed properly? I swear, as I get down here to the last few decals, they are MUCH harder to deal with. In fact, the last one refused to release in the middle, causing it to rip around. I'm trying to make the best of the situation (as I don't want to use my backup sheet), but... still, this is fucking annoying. It's making me not want to do these caution stripes.

Edit: Just had ANOTHER ONE rip on me! There's something about the end of this decal sheet. It's just not releasing properly, ripping at the slightest touch... it's so annoying.

6qafVvzh.jpg

Athenor on
    Soak it longer.

Yeahhh... grr. Here I thought 30-40 seconds would be fine, but.. nope. Just seems like I needed even more.

Though to be honest? I don't mind. I knew the boosters would be a pain, and if it ever really bugs me I can go back and re-do them.

q4Eoy3ih.jpg

For now, though?

I'M DONE!

I can officially call this model done.

OMG.

11UnmNkh.jpg

tahA0dPh.jpg

C6mdmjvh.jpg

Eventually, Unicorn's going to be displayed in Unicorn mode. But I do want some pics of it with Banshee side by side, so for now this is fine. I'll transform it back once THAT model is done.

All I got left is some last bits that are still on runners and need trimmed, and the final coat on the boosters.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    More WIP... gosh dang, the Penelope is ridiculously complicated.

That detail work is amazing, CB! Just... wow. :)

NnWShM0.jpg

A little treat after spending the end of last week sick in bed.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
This discussion has been closed.