As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I’ve come to see From-difficulty as a test of patience and perseverance. Even when you’ve bought in, impatience is punished and unwillingness to practice is self defeating. I bounced off DeS so hard because I didn’t have the right mindset, but was more interested in the setting of bloodborne and a relaxed, “whatever I’ll try it on sale” approach ended up selling me on their catalog.

BUT

I would also be 100% down with some accessibility options. It wouldn’t even have to be granular modes, just try a quality of life mode or something. Same combat mechanics with less of a death penalty, maybe less mob respawns, more healing or checkpointing. Something. See how that goes.

If the existence of an easy mode gives you an easy way out, no one is forcing you to take it. If you can’t help but take it at some point, it’s because you lost your patience or perseverance for the challenge.

If the argument is that people that want the story with a bit less frustration should be denied that option because the challenge is the point, knowing that turns them away entirely... why?

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It's weird because I definitely don't consider myself an elite gamer. I've only gotten past level 1-4 once in Spelunky 2 for example.

But I've completed DS1, 2 and 3 and I have all the achievements in 1 and 2. Which should put them on the 'easy games' list. I guess turtling behind a shield with a claymore and doing a boss over and over until I learn the patterns is something that suits me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It would really be interesting if From developed a gameplay method that was more forgiving to players that didn’t want to play their traditional method but also satisfies their longtime fans.

My brain goes to some weird places where it’s hard locked to a specific trait or choice in the character creation screens and there’s limitations that come hand in hand with it-but I really can’t get much furrher than that in real specifics...

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    It's weird because I definitely don't consider myself an elite gamer. I've only gotten past level 1-4 once in Spelunky 2 for example.

But I've completed DS1, 2 and 3 and I have all the achievements in 1 and 2. Which should put them on the 'easy games' list. I guess turtling behind a shield with a claymore and doing a boss over and over until I learn the patterns is something that suits me.

I find the difficulty is in large part in the way the games simultaneously punish you for trying to rush it while also making you replay huge sections of the game if you make a mistake or (more often imo) don't know where stuff is coming from cause it's the first time you are doing it.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I think the Dark Souls series owes a lot of its reputation and status to the fact that they don't have an easy mode; I don't think they would have become as widely known if actually beating them wasn't noteworthy. Now that they have that reputation, tho, I think they could pretty simply add an easy mode and it would be fine.

My wife (the much bigger fan) says no, you must have your ass handed to you a thousand times until you understand.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I think the Dark Souls series owes a lot of its reputation and status to the fact that they don't have an easy mode; I don't think they would have become as widely known if actually beating them wasn't noteworthy. Now that they have that reputation, tho, I think they could pretty simply add an easy mode and it would be fine.

My wife (the much bigger fan) says no, you must have your ass handed to you a thousand times until you understand.

Easy mode in Souls would work as an investigative mode - find the alternative path, discover the way to cheese the boss, lure the mob into the trap, pit the enemies against each other, invite another player to clear the path.

These already exist to some extent, but having a full non-combat playstyle based on exploration and exploiting enemy weaknesses would be fully in line with the existing design ethos.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    All of them but Sekiro have easy modes built in, not that it's communicated at all by the game.

You can trivialize any Souls by stacking health, stamina, and carry weight and using a weapon that doesn't scale with offensive stats, with or without a shield depending on the fight.

Or you can go for a YOLO magic build and roll the dice until the enemy agrees to let you blast it to ash without getting hit.

Combine those with summons and you're pretty much guaranteed to get through any fight sooner or later.

Improving the information provided by the game so people can figure this out would be good, though.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    All of them but Sekiro have easy modes built in, not that it's communicated at all by the game.

You can trivialize any Souls by stacking health, stamina, and carry weight and using a weapon that doesn't scale with offensive stats, with or without a shield depending on the fight.

Or you can go for a YOLO magic build and roll the dice until the enemy agrees to let you blast it to ash without getting hit.

Combine those with summons and you're pretty much guaranteed to get through any fight sooner or later.

Improving the information provided by the game so people can figure this out would be good, though.
    Yeah persistence and stubbornness are more important traits than fast reflexes.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    You don't even need particularly fast reflexes in Sekiro. The enemies are setup to react to the things you do in predictable ways. All you have to do is press your parry on the attack you already know is coming. You can learn that with sheer bloody mindedness.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    no elden ring trailer on halloween huh
    oh well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    You don't even need particularly fast reflexes in Sekiro. The enemies are setup to react to the things you do in predictable ways. All you have to do is press your parry on the attack you already know is coming. You can learn that with sheer bloody mindedness.

Sekiro is a rhythm game with a Samurai skin

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Alleged leak of some not especially interesting concept art

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I dunno, shit looks pretty rad

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Every game should just steal Hades "God Mode".

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    So it got rated?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    PS4? Gross. That system is so last year.

• Options
    Apparently that was on the original 2019 trailer in the Euro region, so it's not news at all.

• Options
    I’m having a hard time accepting actual Elden Rings news and not more weird funhouse inventions from people who love From and know the best ways to make fun of them.

• Options
    Not to be too pessimistic, but can anyone think of any game that did this sort of drop off the radar and come out way later than anticipated thing and been any better than mediocre when it finally dropped?

Apparently the game was in a playable state as of November, when Phil Spencer played it, so why is there not even a single screenshot of the game out there?

• Options
    Not to be too pessimistic, but can anyone think of any game that did this sort of drop off the radar and come out way later than anticipated thing and been any better than mediocre when it finally dropped?

Apparently the game was in a playable state as of November, when Phil Spencer played it, so why is there not even a single screenshot of the game out there?

I think this last year might be an interesting study in development cycles impacted by COVID. No clue if it will be substantiated in any meaningful way but I expect Elden Ring and quite a few other major titles had to re-map their goals a ton.

• Options
    edited February 2021

I also can't think of a game that had this effective a marketing campaign without spending a single dime.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    They need the extra time to add the go-cart mode.

• Options
    I honestly think ER dropped the PS4/XBO support and is getting built from the group-up to be next gen only

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I honestly think ER dropped the PS4/XBO support and is getting built from the group-up to be next gen only

I very much doubt this would happen unless Microsoft and/or Sony paid them specifically to make it happen.

As for why we haven't heard much about the game: it probably shouldn't be surprise that it would take some time for From Software to figure out their first open world game and execute on it. We probably haven't seen any gameplay yet because the systems have still been in flux.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    august wrote: »

I very much doubt this would happen unless Microsoft and/or Sony paid them specifically to make it happen.

*gestures to the entirety of cyberpunk and how nobody wants a repeat of that shit, ever*
    As for why we haven't heard much about the game: it probably shouldn't be surprise that it would take some time for From Software to figure out their first open world game and execute on it. We probably haven't seen any gameplay yet because the systems have still been in flux.

Yeah. After DS2 and even more notably DS3 felt "cut short", I kind of think they're going whole hog on Elden Ring and working on mechanics.

They haven't released a bad game since Dark Souls 1, arguably before that, so they have the benefit of the doubt.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I worry, perhaps needlessly, about the way games that take bake too long can be one-more-thinged until they're an undevelopable mess that eventually must be pared back down into something that feels like what it is: a bigger, more ambitious game cut down into something incomplete instead of just being a good game of the size it ended up being.

This being their first foray into an open world is exactly the kind of thing that leads to this sort of creep and cut, so...

• Options
    I worry, perhaps needlessly, about the way games that take bake too long can be one-more-thinged until they're an undevelopable mess that eventually must be pared back down into something that feels like what it is: a bigger, more ambitious game cut down into something incomplete instead of just being a good game of the size it ended up being.

This being their first foray into an open world is exactly the kind of thing that leads to this sort of creep and cut, so...

Also to be fair they never said it was "open world" specifically. They said "open-field concept."

I'm thinking it's going to be Dark Souls but much bigger, as opposed to Breath of the Wild.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

I also can't think of a game that had this effective a marketing campaign without spending a single dime.

Apex. "Here's the game." *a shitload of streamers start playing it*

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    new Elden Ring trailer leaks are out. Apparently there's an official trailer coming out soon (!)

I won't embed, but here are the leaked clips:

Zavian on
  • Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    new Elden Ring trailer leaks are out. Apparently there's an official trailer coming out soon (!)

I won't embed, but here are the leaked clips:

Man the people on Twitter are incredible. From that 10 fps 240x120 5 second clip they've already figured out the entire game. Apparently its Witcher 3.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    and here's another, looks like Elden Ring will have a stealth system:

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Unsurprisingly, what little is shown in these clips suggests it was built atop the framework of Sekiro.

According to Jeff Grubb, these snippets are culled from a ~2 min trailer shown to press? last year at some point.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I love leaks because they serve as a sort of stochastic punitive system for developers/publishers that are too slow/too reticent about putting out trailers and information. You want to keep people on tenterhooks because of marketing cleverness, stubbornness, or because you want to make a super-polished and over-produced trailer for maximum shareholder value, or just because you want to wait for some perfect date for a new trailer recommended by a court astrologer? Hahah screw you now footage and info is leaked because you took too long.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    I love leaks because they serve as a sort of stochastic punitive system for developers/publishers that are too slow/too reticent about putting out trailers and information. You want to keep people on tenterhooks because of marketing cleverness, stubbornness, or because you want to make a super-polished and over-produced trailer for maximum shareholder value, or just because you want to wait for some perfect date for a new trailer recommended by a court astrologer? Hahah screw you now footage and info is leaked because you took too long.

Or just because it's taken a while for your game to come together and you want whatever you put out to look good and representative of the final product? None of what you just described typically applies to From Software.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, fuck leaks. Developers will put out content when they're ready, and if it's not ready then people forcing early release will only hurt the perception of the content.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I mean, I'd think that in a post-Cyberpunk world people wouldn't be frothing at the mouth so much for trailers.

Also I feel like the game didn't get announced all that long ago when you measure it against the typical AAA hype machine.

august on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yes but the thing is because there's a name and a logo for the game, people have already incorporated being fans of it into their identity, so really it's FromSoft's fault for not constantly hand-holding berserk fans.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

Apex. "Here's the game." *a shitload of streamers start playing it*

Except in that case streamers were literally paid to play that game, so they did marketing you just didn't know it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.