As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Star Hammer

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Star Hammer

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    Thought Gabe was spewing a glob of spit at the screen for a second there.

• Options
    Radiated RoninRadiated Ronin Registered User regular
    People are building Millennium Falcons in this thing. That's what any Nordic fantasy needs, more Star Wars!

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I'm going to interpret the third frame's black areas behind Gabe as being his long, flowing locks.

• Options
    MattIsWaldoMattIsWaldo Registered User new member
    I generally stay informed on game stuff but about half of the last ten comics are greek to me. Feels sad man

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I generally stay informed on game stuff but about half of the last ten comics are greek to me. Feels sad man

Yeah, I've gotten many PA jokes in the last decade simply through context: Gabe thought a game looked meh, and claimed he wasn't going to play it. SHOCKING TWIST: the gameplay is engrossing so he plays it a lot anyway. Hah hah! That Gabe.

dennis on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Valheim is the first one I've played in a while or have awareness of. I know Minecraft is huge and is a household name, but I think in general the Build/Craft/Survive genre is a fairly niche genre. But I love it and I've played and tried a ton of 'em. Valheim is pretty good.

I'm definitely not into competitive shooters and games that have "seasons." So whenever they do a comic about one of those kind of games, I'm generally lost. At least, I'm lost on the specific subject matter. Usually the comics are worth a chuckle even if I don't know the specific game they're talking about.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Yeah, I've gotten many PA jokes in the last decade simply through context: Gabe thought a game looked meh, and claimed he wasn't going to play it. SHOCKING TWIST: the gameplay is engrossing so he plays it a lot anyway. Hah hah! That Gabe.

Eh it was less the game specifically and more Tycho messing with him by agreeing he wouldn't like it which of course made him go hardcore into it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Eh it was less the game specifically and more Tycho messing with him by agreeing he wouldn't like it which of course made him go hardcore into it.

I went with Dennis's interpretation more than yours, but I can see both as valid approaches on this comic. lol

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

I went with Dennis's interpretation more than yours, but I can see both as valid approaches on this comic. lol

One of the things about the game is that despite using low res textures, they messed with the lighting effects such that you can have some devastatingly beautiful views. It tracks to Gabe the artist that he'd end up hooked by the lighting engine, honestly.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    I had a strange dream last night that they re-uploaded this comic with a worse punchline.
    "How many hours have you been playing?"
    "148."
    Also, Gabe didn't have the beard anymore.