As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I've talked to three people who have worked the Seattle Underground that were all skeptics, and now all believe in super- or preternatural shit in some degree or form. Apparently that place is Capital H Haunted.

If I was gonna be really honest with myself, I would be delighted to go from my curious-but-skeptical self to one of those people who experiences something that changes their belief completely. Being a costumed Ghostbuster, I've gotten to chat with a few people in self-serious various paranormal investigation groups and I love hearing their stories. I've made it known that I'd happily do a night with them at some old asylum or prison or something if they want an extra hand to watch monitors and carry heavy shit or walk into pitch-black rooms.

I don't think I'll run into a ghost but I do wanna experience first-hand the kind of things that make so many people think a place is haunted.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I mean, I have been to "haunted" places, especially in Savannah, GA, and it's cool when the air immediately feels weird. Electrical fields? Infrasound? Insulation or something that causes it to be notably more humid than it is in adjoining rooms? I dunno, but it feels different and that is an eerie effect when you're already there because some tour guide is telling you a bride was murdered mysteriously there in the 1890s or a WW1 soldier appears there because he died at sea on his way home or some other copy-pasted spectral backstory.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm not really one to believe in the supernatural. But I do have a lot of fun reading about spooky stuff, urban legends, and cryptids and thinking "what if".

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    20210223_232147.jpg

Probably werewolves right

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

(Tyler Rogoway is the editor of The War Zone, a military technology and aviation focused subsection of TheDrive.com)

On February 21st, the captain of American Airlines flight 2292 radioed air traffic control in Albuquerque, NM to report:
    Do you have any targets up here? We just had something go right over the top of us - I hate to say this but it looked like a long cylindrical object that almost looked like a cruise missile type of thing - moving really fast right over the top of us.

The transmission was recorded by Steve Douglass, a well known and experienced radio interceptor, per The War Zone's reporting, American Airlines has confirmed that the transmission is authentic.:
    https://youtu.be/ZmUOZkSKCaY

At the time, flight 2292 was cruising at an altitude of 36,000ft over the northeast corner of New Mexico.

The War Zone previously reported on other incidents in that general vicinity, including an event from three years ago tomorrow where a Learjet and an Airbus both reported to Albuquerque air traffic control encountering an unidentified object at about 40,000ft.

Assuming these sightings were not totally bunk, and keeping in mind that this is close to some high profile military installations (Area 51, White Sands, etc.) my money is on these pilots spotting some kind of weapon or aircraft test rather than these objects being of extraterrestrial origin.

jgeis on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I saw a quadcopter drone fly over a parking lot I was in recently, and I had a lightbulb realization that an awful lot of UFO descriptions from the past several decades sound exactly like drones:
    • Hovering in place and making very abrupt maneuvers
    • No engine noise
    • Triangle or flat disc shape
    • Moving much faster than any known aircraft is capable of - makes sense if you assume what you're seeing is a large, distant object instead of a small, nearby one; and distance and scale are hard to judge in the sky, especially at night. Plus it helps that drones are quiet, so an observer might reasonably think it's far away because they can't hear it.

The interesting thing is that if I'm right, the military has had current or near-current drone technology for decades. Which isn't all that surprising, but is still sort of weird/cool to contemplate.

Calica on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

(Tyler Rogoway is the editor of The War Zone, a military technology and aviation focused subsection of TheDrive.com)

On February 21st, the captain of American Airlines flight 2292 radioed air traffic control in Albuquerque, NM to report:
    Do you have any targets up here? We just had something go right over the top of us - I hate to say this but it looked like a long cylindrical object that almost looked like a cruise missile type of thing - moving really fast right over the top of us.

The transmission was recorded by Steve Douglass, a well known and experienced radio interceptor, per The War Zone's reporting, American Airlines has confirmed that the transmission is authentic.:
    https://youtu.be/ZmUOZkSKCaY

At the time, flight 2292 was cruising at an altitude of 36,000ft over the northeast corner of New Mexico.

The War Zone previously reported on other incidents in that general vicinity, including an event from three years ago tomorrow where a Learjet and an Airbus both reported to Albuquerque air traffic control encountering an unidentified object at about 40,000ft.

Assuming these sightings were not totally bunk, and keeping in mind that this is close to some high profile military installations (Area 51, White Sands, etc.) my money is on these pilots spotting some kind of weapon or aircraft test rather than these objects being of extraterrestrial origin.

Agreed. I grew up in that corner of New Mexico, and it's a popular area for classified test flights because it's practically uninhabited. One of the old dudes we used to eat lunch with at the general store made a hobby of spotting stealth fighters, and his ranch was next door to the one Bill Weaver landed on after his SR-71 broke up around him.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Bill Weaver... Or... An extra terrestrial!?!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    20210223_232147.jpg

Id need to check the moon on those dates but probably

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    20210223_232147.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werwolf

????
    I kid

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I'll admit, I didn't possibly think it could get better after "Buddy" appeared, and boy was I wrong.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    T I M E F O R T E L E T U B B I E S

drp9i1n9t6b3.jpg

with Elder Sunbaby, The Daymaker; and Elder Moonbaby, The Dreamcatcher

831punbp8lrl.jpgosbljuj021tb.jpg

and of course we can't forget
    Elder Noo-Noo, The Vacant

3gae3i1a1bcz.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Thats a really cool art style. Any idea what the medium is?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    looks like white on black whatever it is

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I did a thing in art class where you scratched into black paper and left a white line. It was really cool I cant remember the name though

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I did a thing in art class where you scratched into black paper and left a white line. It was really cool I cant remember the name though

scratchboard

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Yeah that's what I was thinking of. Really cool art style.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I don't know if I should get the first Wipeout. You can only have so many Wipeouts.
    https://youtu.be/XASEBvDri4U

• Options
    Sega Ages on the Switch.
    https://youtu.be/U9zxprF0ghk

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Is the spooky part the unstoppable march of time?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Whoops. I posted in the wrong thread.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Whoops. I posted in the wrong thread.

the true horror

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Wipeout fuckin ruled what a great game

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-56286719
    'Hovering ship' photographed off Cornish coast by walker

b0xkx5z0fb9k.jpg
    Images of what appears to be a hovering ship have been captured as the result of a rare optical illusion off the coast of England.

David Morris took a photo of the ship near Falmouth, Cornwall.

BBC meteorologist David Braine said the "superior mirage" occurred because of "special atmospheric conditions that bend light".

He said the illusion is common in the Arctic, but can appear "very rarely" in the UK during winter.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Just some swamp gas, move along.

• Options
    I was peeling potatoes this evening and noticed this one looked a bit creepy after I peeled most of the skin off.
    ijc04iu1c08f.jpg

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I was peeling potatoes this evening and noticed this one looked a bit creepy after I peeled most of the skin off.
    ijc04iu1c08f.jpg

Hasbro’s gritty reboot of Potato Head

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    ijc04iu1c08f.jpg

Hasbro’s gritty reboot of Mr. Potato Head

There's no "Mr" anymore, the toy is just called Potato Head.

Which is a fitting name for the horror villain DisruptedCapitalist just posted.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ijc04iu1c08f.jpg

Congrats on finding the seed that would grow into a Dark Souls boss, I guess?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    ijc04iu1c08f.jpg

Hasbro’s gritty reboot of Mr. Potato Head

There's no "Mr" anymore, the toy is just called Potato Head.

Which is a fitting name for the horror villain DisruptedCapitalist just posted.

Like Salad Fingers.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I didn’t know they’d done that, that’s actually rad!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I didn’t know they’d done that, that’s actually rad!

You hadn't heard? about this tragedy of leftist oppression???

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Had a big partially lucid dream last weekend about me and my partner moving into a great big place in the shadow of Mount Si, only the mountain was super haunted. I first opened my eyes to check the time about 4am, but around 9-ish I was still there, having been through loads of people being slowly driven mad or killed by all manner of various ill effects from the malevolent force in the mountain, but it was ok because I knew I was dreaming. Then when things had finally worked out to where we were escaping, I looked at the storage display on my camera and it was basically the worst most disturbing stuff, all the stuff that had been happening "off camera" during the dream and everyone was looking me directly in the eye, like waking me, not dream me.

So yeah that's been in my head all week.

Weaver on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Reading this thread made me remember I lived in what I’m certain was a haunted house for my mid teens to early twenties. No shadow people screaming at me though.

It was in a town that was pretty isolated, middle of bushland, low population. The house we lived in was on a large block with a ramshackle house in the back yard that was just a single room, frame made out of whole tree trunks, and clad in rusting sheet metal. The owner told us it was the first house in the area. He left it there because he liked having it on his property. Inside is was cold. We tried to use it as a place to play 40k, but it was just too cold inside even in summer.

Anyway, on our first night in the house, it was pretty late, like 10pm, I was sitting at the front door, with my back to it. My brother was across the room and my dad was on the other end of the house in the bathroom. As we were talking, I heard a little girl laugh from the door. Loud enough I thought the door was open.

All the hair on my neck and back stood on end, and my brother went white. My dad came out and said he heard it outside the bathroom window which went to the backyard rather than the front yard.

After that, there wasn’t anything too bad. Sometimes I’d see someone walk up the hallway into a room, by when I went to see no one was there.

Worst was the manhole cover into the ceiling, which was at the end of the hallway. If all the bedroom doors were shut the wind would hit the end and push it up. One day I was home alone and it blew the cover off. Man it took a lot to reach into that inky black hole to grab the cover and move it back in place.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    one time I took like, a dumb amount of seroquel and managed to make myself so tired I couldn't actually fall asleep, so I get up to pee and keep seeing shadows go around my legs like cats were just weaving around me as I walked, and jumping up and down the counter in the bathroom.

by the time I had finished peeing, these shadow cats had grown more numerous and taken on a distinctly sinister feel. I was growing more afraid of them the less lucid I became, so I just sat in the middle of my bed hiding under my blanket knowing that I was surrounded by a vortex of evil spirits shaped like cats and my soul was well and truly fucked.

I eventually did fall asleep hidden under my blanket like a baby, after sending my friend unintelligible texts about my impending doom, and slept in the neighborhood of 18 hours straight.

a side effect of this event is that now, if I'm sleepy or just scanning, I'll catch glimpses of the shadow cats slipping around my house.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You went to the Shadow Realm, Depressperado, but you did not return alone.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Oohh. Just remembered I also worked in a haunted building for a few months.

We did staggered shifts, every day someone started an hour late and finished an hour late. I drew the short straw and pulled Friday’s.

I was doing my usual extra hour, it was mid-winter so it was pretty much dark at 5pm. It was getting to about 5.30, and everyone had checked out before 5 since it was Friday and people had pubs to get to.

The way it was laid out, I was in the middle of the room with my back to a door that went into a sorting room down some stairs. They decided to make it a nice fire hazard and make the stairs the only way in and out by stacking shit against the doors, so you couldn’t even get out into the production floor.

So I’m sitting there typing away, no one else around, when I hear a door beneath me slam. Like someone was pissed off and slammed the door shut. I figured someone was trying to get into the room from downstairs, saw the shit against the door, and got pissed and slammed it shut.

Then I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I knew no one had gone down the stairs because they’d have to walk past me. I turned around to check the door - there was a small window in it.

Lights off, stairwell is pitch black. I looked down into production, no one, they’d stopped for the day. Pitch black down stairs. The foot steps were coming up slowly but heavy, again like someone was pissed they had to walk up stairs.

As I figured enough steps had stepped to get to the door, they stopped. Window still pitch black. I locked my fucken computer, turned off the photocopier and noped out.

On the Monday, my co-workers said I’d met ‘Tobey’. My team leader was back late one night and heard someone tapping on the break room window, but whenever he turned around no one was there. Another was in super early and heard wailing from the break room. So they’d named the ghost Tobey.

One day after that I was walking to work and saw a sign half covered by the trees. The whole block was an Australian colonial era graveyard that they’d moved and used the headstones to pulverise and create the walkways there.

Kinda cliche to be working on an old, haunted burial ground.

-Loki- on