As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    fucking hell now THIS is a cup tie

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km_9ntw05pw&feature=youtu.be

it's been ten years to the day since rooney did this jesus christ my bones are crumbling

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    At this rate Liverpool are going to change their anthem from You’ll Never Walk Alone to the Benny Hill theme.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    God damn, City, at least let anyone else get a sniff in.

• Options
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Down to 6th, possibly as low as 8th with other squads' games in hand, ooh yeah that's the good stuff.

• Options
    Hmm, this Mpabbe fellow might be good at the football

• Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Hmm, this Mpabbe fellow might be good at the football

• Options
    it was nice watching united smash the team that's 5th in la liga before we struggle against steve bruce's newcastle on sunday

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    lmao beat central coast 3-2 with 3 penalties.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Get in. 10 points from 12 after a frankly shocking run of form.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

Caught some highlights and I felt unconvinced by at least one of those pens, too, but didn't look at the replay at all.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Suppose if they're going to lose the derby to everton at home for the first time in forever might as well be this season.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    a
    Tav wrote: »
    it was nice watching united smash the team that's 5th in la liga before we struggle against steve bruce's newcastle on sunday

liverpool losing in a historic manner really cemented how bad tomorrow is going to be

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »

Caught some highlights and I felt unconvinced by at least one of those pens, too, but didn't look at the replay at all.

1st should never have been given. One of the softest I've ever seen. 2nd I thought was fine. 3rd I don't think the video was clear cut enough for var to call it back.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    a

liverpool losing in a historic manner really cemented how bad tomorrow is going to be

If anything sums up Liverpool’s season, it’s “Win in the Champions League, lose to Everton in the Premiership, lose another defender to injury to Everton.”

At this point, I’m convinced there’s a hex on Liverpool’s defence, including midfielders who are temporarily helping out in defence.

If you wrote Liverpool Defender on a note and stuck it someone’s coat, they’d be in hospital in a week.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    USA - Brazil has been wild so far. A lot of sloppy passes in the defense that Brazil is jumping all over, kinda nuts that they haven't converted one yet

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    a

If anything sums up Liverpool’s season, it’s “Win in the Champions League, lose to Everton in the Premiership, lose another defender to injury to Everton.”

At this point, I’m convinced there’s a hex on Liverpool’s defence, including midfielders who are temporarily helping out in defence.

If you wrote Liverpool Defender on a note and stuck it someone’s coat, they’d be in hospital in a week.

i genuinely think there has to be something weird going on at Melwood for this amount of injuries, like maybe there was a change up in coaching or physio department or something

i just don't buy that it's a buildup of fixtures (since Liverpool have played less games than United and City over the last season and a half) and barring the freak vvd tackle, they all seem to be training/non-contact related. Hendo's groin went from a tap on the ankle, Milner's hamstring went after playing like 20 mins, Gomes went down with no one around him, Fabino's had more games missed through muscle injuries sustained in training than he missed in his last 5 years at Monaco combined. Matip is the only one there that seems to be made of glass, everyone else was fine until the last year or so

at some stage i feel like you're past bad luck and into deep rooted problems

• Options
    I think Klopp has been relying on the same players too much too often over the past 3 or so seasons and it's finally starting to catch up.

Even the ones who aren't missing matches with injury are probably exhausted from endless matches and no rotation. With very few exceptions, pretty much the only way he'll sit one of his preferred starting 11 is if they literally can't go. The bench might as well not exist outside of injury crisis or perhaps a domestic cup.

So yeah, city and United have played the same amount of matches, but city have a bench that could probably make top 4 on their own, and united have been rotating in youth and changing up the squad. Liverpool haven't. Whether that's on Klopp for not using his reserves or FSG for not shelling out for "good enough" second squad can be argued, but I think that's really the deeper issue going on.

• Options
    what an absolute madness from Bentekkers there

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I think Klopp has been relying on the same players too much too often over the past 3 or so seasons and it's finally starting to catch up.

Even the ones who aren't missing matches with injury are probably exhausted from endless matches and no rotation. With very few exceptions, pretty much the only way he'll sit one of his preferred starting 11 is if they literally can't go. The bench might as well not exist outside of injury crisis or perhaps a domestic cup.

So yeah, city and United have played the same amount of matches, but city have a bench that could probably make top 4 on their own, and united have been rotating in youth and changing up the squad. Liverpool haven't. Whether that's on Klopp for not using his reserves or FSG for not shelling out for "good enough" second squad can be argued, but I think that's really the deeper issue going on.

I actually complain that United have the same problem. It’s not as bad as Klopp, but Ole definitely has a favourite starting XI that he uses as often as possible with some players just not getting enough rest. I think Rashford, Bruno, and Maguire have played every single match of United’s season so far.

• Options

I actually complain that United have the same problem. It’s not as bad as Klopp, but Ole definitely has a favourite starting XI that he uses as often as possible with some players just not getting enough rest. I think Rashford, Bruno, and Maguire have played every single match of United’s season so far.

Maguire has played every minute of PL football since he joined United

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular

I'd agree with this, coupled with the fact that Liverpool have been playing at a famously high-tempo for those three seasons. It works when everyone's fresh, but with poor rotation and some ageing players it has its limits.

• Options

I guess i have my tinfoil hat on a bit about why it's only defensive players who seem to be breaking down, as opposed to just a downturn in form in general. Logic would dictate that it's the front three and wingbacks who are regularly getting hacked at that would would be suffering yet it's defensive players pulling up mostly from non-contact related problems. I'm sure a lack of rotation isn't helping but the attacking players, who play a major part of the pressing game, all seem to be fine so far.

• Options
  • Options
    That's a glorious likeness. He looks like a Tintin character.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    very good. very good.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    That's Irish aul fella speak for "I am deeply touched by this"

sig.gif
  • Options
    HerrCron wrote: »
    That's Irish aul fella speak for "I am deeply touched by this"

if he wasn't on camera for the socials he'd have called him a bollocks

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Whoooo

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-56167487

Very Beşiktaş-on-the-Mersey, me like.

• Options
    Under the plans, the 52,888-seater ground could host up to four pop concerts a year as well as weddings, funerals, Christmas parties and conferences.

Having been to a company holiday party at a major sports stadium before I know this will just take place in whatever conference rooms/offices on the facility, but still amused by the idea of someone trying to sort out 50k plus attendees to their nuptials and/or funeral service taking place in the center of the pitch.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I could guess McCartney or Starr might get that.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »
    Whoooo

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-56167487

Very Beşiktaş-on-the-Mersey, me like.

Great.

The flats outside our office are almost finished, so I was looking forward to no more construction - then they'll be building this for the next few years.

More roadworks, yay.

Still, it'll be interesting to see then them building the platform it looks like it'll be build on.

I'll post pics when building starts, if anyone is interested.

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I'll post pics when building starts, if anyone is interested.

I'd love to see them, ta!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Maguire has played every minute of PL football since he joined United

I imagine that Maguire is pretty happy with that tbh

He loves playing football

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Under the plans, the 52,888-seater ground could host up to four pop concerts a year as well as weddings, funerals, Christmas parties and conferences.

Having been to a company holiday party at a major sports stadium before I know this will just take place in whatever conference rooms/offices on the facility, but still amused by the idea of someone trying to sort out 50k plus attendees to their nuptials and/or funeral service taking place in the center of the pitch.

An immediate moratorium on any variant on "this is the last time they'll be let down in this stadium" for any funerals taking place on the grounds.

sig.gif
  • Options
    vuv3193b42xg.png

facebook is telling me it's officially been a year since i was last at a football match

@HerrCron

This discussion has been closed.