As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outriders] Ride and die (a lot).

KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
edited April 2021 in Games and Technology
1z5cv076wmau.png

Developed by People Can Fly (Painkiller, early Gears of War, Bulletstorm). In their own words:
Outriders is a 1 to 3 player, drop-in-drop-out co-op, third-person-perspective shooter set in an original dark and desperate sci-fi universe.
Basically, it's a fast paced co-op looter shooter from people who know shooters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtx2LT2cnF8

The game launches on April 1st, 2021!
PC (Steam or EGS), Playstation, Xbox, Stadia.

The 4 classes

Technomancer
The only class that can heal others. Want to support others? This is for you. Want to summon your own minigun? Also for you. Like poison? Yeah, you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z01fQ0lMw6g

Pyromancer
Fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4wJ7tWsQsc

Trickster
The closest thing to a melee class. Uses time powers to slow and stop enemies and dishes out burst damage before dashing back out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=issxrCT2JeI

Devastator
The tankiest class, throws rocks. Also throws bullets back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K3s3_d-bRU

So is it like a GaaS?
Nope, it's a complete game with a complete story on day 1. There's endgame expeditions and some stuff they haven't even shown off yet. They made the game with the idea that they'll add more content through DLC, but they'll see how it sells before promising anything. There's not even microtransactions.

Is there cross-play or cross-progression?
Cross-play, yes! Anyone on any platform can play together!
Cross-progression, unfortunately, only within the same system, ie PS4 saves can transfer to PS5, but not to PC, etc.

There is a free demo out on February 25th!
This demo includes the opening prologue and first chapter, all 4 classes, up to level 7, and you can go up to WT5. This is a demo, not a beta, and is the first chunk of the game. Progression DOES carry to the full game, assuming you buy it on the same platform you're playing the demo on. The demo will also be live once the game launches so you can always try the game out before you buy it.
It also includes co-op and cross play!
It's only available through Steam or on Playstation or Xbox consoles. Stadia and EGS do NOT get the demo, sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6pwBLm6CXk

Endgame
Endgame consists of doing Expeditions and increasing your challenge tier level which brings even higher level loot. There's 13 (+ a 14th final one that is meant to be the ultimate challenge) and they are NOT recycled from the story. They have additional story and separate encounters that are all unique to them. There's a lot of loot to get and a nice crafting system so you can move mods around, it's looking pretty hype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHMXIh0nKc4

Helpful Things
Status effects descriptions.
unknown.png

Kyanilis on

• Options
    I know I saw other people interested and since the demo (with co-op, etc) comes out tomorrow I figured I'd put a thread together. Pretty excited for this the more I look into it. Maybe it'll turn out like other more recent looter shooters, who knows, but they're sticking to the "not a GaaS!" line so that's fairly promising for having a full experience day 1.

Either way the loot looks awesome and I am here for that. Will likely play the demo way too much and burn out before launch.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Oh wow, someone actually made a thread for this. I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. From what I've seen it has a lot of nice QoL stuff that I wanna see in more games. Plus the whole actually launching as a complete product thing.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Thanks for making the thread, I've been low key excited about this for like a year now.

Demo unlocks at 09:00 PST tomorrow and no preloading.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    We've been so utterly bombarded with so many low effort GaaS games that I am now physically incapable of ever being any more excited than "cautiously optimistic".

So I too am cautiously optimistic for this. But please do know that I am cautiously optimistic for it as hard as I can be.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Was really surprised there wasn't a thread yet but since people will actually be playing this thing tomorrow figured it was time. The gear design heavily reminds me of Remnant and I'm super excited to start seeing legendaries and such start popping that they haven't shown off. The weapon and armor designs are rad and I appreciate that legendary gear looks completely unique.

I feel like a lot of people are feeling that looter fatigue since it's apparently impossible to put out one that manages to hold up once you hit the actual grind, but it actually looks like they're trying with this one and not hiding behind GaaS to put out a third of a game now and promise the rest later, so that's refreshing. The only thing I'm really wary about right now is how bullet spongey some of these videos make things look, but maybe with a decent team and proper skill usage it won't be so bad.

• Options
    And the demo is now up! Think I'll sneak in some of this before getting any work done...

• Options
    I don't think I can pay until later but let me get this downloaded real quick...

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    So it's not a GaaS? How much loot / variety will it have?

I understand it's not out yet, but no PvP plus no GaaS means it has to be Borderlands / Diablo style loot then, right?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Seems like a mix of a lot of games. End game modding is like Div2 where you're ripping talents out of junk items and then swapping them around on the gear you're wearing and you can additionally use mats to increase the rolled stats on your gear. Not sure if there's a mix of random stats an item can roll

The endgame loop is 14 new zones (dungeons?) that you run with selectable difficulty levels like M+ in wow. Increasing the difficulty level increases the item level of your drops. Beat all 14 at a certain difficulty and you unlock a 15th zone (dungeon?).

• Options
    Not unexpectedly, servers seem shaky this morning.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Will be downloading this during the day; looking forward to giving it a shot with some friends!
    Not sure its worth adding to the OP, but I found this video helpful and informative as a general overview of gear, weapon, stats progression etc:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3XUkuxkPwc

eMoander on
    Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »

I couldn't connect at all, which its day one, but I continue to be amazed that companies cheap out on servers like this.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I couldn't connect at all, which its day one, but I continue to be amazed that companies cheap out on servers like this.

Kubernetes folks. Why they can't do this?

• Options
    Oh they took them down so they could fix a scaling thing. They're back up and seems stable to me now.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Kubernetes folks. Why they can't do this?

Hopefully its a small issue this morning, but its been an hour and a half since the demo went live and people still can't get in. Its just not a good look and companies keep doing shit like this.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    No trouble getting in anymore. I just got my class abilities, the prologue before that point is quite short.

So far it feels quite nice, pretty great framerates on "ultra" (that's what it defaulted to) even with my 1060.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I was going to say the opposite. I have a 1080 and it's choking and sub 60 in lots of places, even in small combat arenas, at just 1080p.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Shaky / stuttering on PS5. Dialogue repeating itself a few times. NPCs talking ALL over each other after you get out of the prologue and meet modern Shira.

It's like Gears of War, but that combat style feels a little weird so far given the other abilities unlocked early on.

The UI/ NPC stores strongly reminding me of Avengers.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Performance has been great but I've got a monster rig based on a 2070. In-game cutscenes were kind of ass, but gameplay was buttery smooth.

Played 90 minutes! Really liked it so far. I went with Devastator, which now I'm thinking I should have gone the long ranged route.

It's got a good cover shooter feel. Good gameplay bones. Gives me gears of war feels, but the combat is just a little less heavy and kinetic than maybe I would like.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    The intro Prologue is extremely generic and boring, the fighting with powers is pretty enjoyable. Im down for trying out more of it with friends, see how it is.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Apparently the 30fps cutscenes are already fixed for the full version, and there's a motion blur toggle. Both are super jarring so that's good.

Oh you can technically disable motion blur right now on PC: https://www.reddit.com/r/outriders/comments/lsff60/tip_you_can_disable_motionblur/

Anyway, played a bit, the overall setting I'm into. The gunplay feels decent enough, it's a little strange sometimes at close range, which sucks because I went Trickster which is all about that close range. Sometimes I'll use a shotty and it'll just like...miss? But there's no way it should. Only really happens in very close range I think, but it's jarring each time. Once you get out of the prologue and start getting your powers the game takes off a bit, got a power that lets me teleport behind enemies and using it to get in/out of combat is pretty satisfying, especially since I've been using shotguns mostly. Time bubble is also pretty cool, slows bullets as well so I can concentrate on enemies in it and not get murdered if I'm out in the open. Starting to see some weapons with proper mods on them, got an assault rifle that does some aoe damage around enemies.

Totally my jam if it generally holds up, but there's certainly some jank here and there. Definitely going to try some other classes before launch. I like the aesthetic more than I thought I might? It's certainly brutal, heads exploding, which hasn't been TOO distracting yet, but it's a looter shooter so should probably think 80 hours from now too, heh.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    The cutscenes being 30fps felt jarring, prologue was pretty boring and glad it can be skipped on additional characters. Combat felt...okay? At times it felt kinda flat to me, I am trying technomancer first, first three abilities you unlock are a grenade, a turret (that seems to have some very dodgy aiming) and another turret that fires something akin to a calliope barrage.

Def has some jank to it with some of the idle animations, though I do appreciate your avatar is an actual character with a personality.

Going to wait till tonight when buddies are around to dig into it some more but so far it seems like an okay cover based shooter.

• Options
    Some of the cutscenes have elements that are really abrupt and super flacid. Not sure if it's the sound mixing or something. There's a point in a side quest where
    McCain shoots the Insurgency guy he dug of the hole with, and the effect is so nothing and the cut so awkward that it's not even clear that the other guy was shot at first. Buh?

Same goes for the sidequest where the asian caricature gets shot.

The tone is kind of all over the place, too. The character you walk around as making jokes and shrugging and you half-expect Seinfeld music to start playing, even though what they're dealing with is very serious. So you think it's supposed to be that kind of irreverent style. But then it snaps back and wants you to take other things very seriously and plays it straight. My head hurts. (But that could be all the motion blur.)
    Also man there's no gap at all between the Tutorial plus the trauma of the Waking section where your character feels like a person, to just being a super-sarcastic jaded gun. Like I get that in theory they were a mercenary before all this, but they act WAY different in the tutorial. It's weird.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Having tried Trickster, Pyromancer, and Technomancer (in that order)

Trickster is the most fun, challenging, and interesting to play. Technomancer is kind of boring? Pyromancer needs shorter cooldowns.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Pretty unimpressed honestly. Story-wise it's ME:A with worse writing, VA and animation so far. Gameplay was alright (apart from a lot of chest high stuff not working as sticky cover) but as a shotgun trickster at least I found it absurdly easy.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I beat the demo with one character. It was fun overall, but I haven't played these loot-based shooters in.... ever? So it's not like I have a comparison.

Bad things:
    1) The game froze 2-3 times before I exited the prologue. Before I even set up camp. After that it was fine though, so... shrug?
    2) The cinematography or directing are just really awkward or amateur-ish. Like, the cutscenes just weren't put together well. Awkward cuts, bad angles, etc. It was just kinda noticeably bad? The actual content was fine, nothing spectacular but enjoyable enough. Just the way it was put together is not great.
    3) So uhhh can I really not make my dumb helmet invisible, except in all cutscenes where it magically disappears? I didn't create a character just to not see their head! :P

I did Technomancer on my first run. I'll probably try the others. May get the game, but I'd wanna try co-op first. Like I said, it was fun.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah the cut scenes were really awkward from what I've played. I just got to the actual gameplay when I couldn't keep playing when I'm at work technically...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah the cut scenes were really awkward from what I've played. I just got to the actual gameplay when I couldn't keep playing when I'm at work technically...

I had fun turreting things and snipering things as a Technomancer. The challenge was ramping up probably a bit too slowly, there was only one fight where I got a bit surprised and almost died. And it feels like it'd be a lot more fun co-op, too? But once you get the Powers the combat gets a lot better.

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

I had fun turreting things and snipering things as a Technomancer. The challenge was ramping up probably a bit too slowly, there was only one fight where I got a bit surprised and almost died. And it feels like it'd be a lot more fun co-op, too? But once you get the Powers the combat gets a lot better.

Yeah I want to try the actual combat, and the problem with a game like this is a demo gives you a taste but not anywhere near enough of what the full game will feel. I went devastator so I'll see how fun that is.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I beat the demo with one character. It was fun overall, but I haven't played these loot-based shooters in.... ever? So it's not like I have a comparison.

Bad things:
    1) The game froze 2-3 times before I exited the prologue. Before I even set up camp. After that it was fine though, so... shrug?
    2) The cinematography or directing are just really awkward or amateur-ish. Like, the cutscenes just weren't put together well. Awkward cuts, bad angles, etc. It was just kinda noticeably bad? The actual content was fine, nothing spectacular but enjoyable enough. Just the way it was put together is not great.
    3) So uhhh can I really not make my dumb helmet invisible, except in all cutscenes where it magically disappears? I didn't create a character just to not see their head! :P

I did Technomancer on my first run. I'll probably try the others. May get the game, but I'd wanna try co-op first. Like I said, it was fun.

You can turn off your helmet in Options -> Gameplay btw

• Options
    Devastator can feel downright amazing because you're teleporting across the battlefield instagibbing crowds of weak enemies while gaining 24% heals for each enemy killed in close range (of which those enemies count). Then turning around and ground quaking other dudes to near dead before following up with shotgun to the face.

Only weakness I've felt with Devastator has been against bosses.

• Options

Bad things:

You can turn off your helmet in Options -> Gameplay btw

The game just got like, twice as good.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Just tried for like 15 minutes to play with a friend, it was never able to connect properly.

They call this a demo, but it also seems pretty beta-test-ish too....

Steam profile
  • Options
    Are either of you on Xbox? Live is having some struggles right now.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    Are either of you on Xbox? Live is having some struggles right now.

Nope, both on Steam. I mean it also just froze and crashed on me multiple times earlier, maybe I'm just unlucky

Steam profile
  • Options
    I do like how juicy it is to kill people, but man the dialogue with all the f bombs is cringe.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I've just had the one crash but another dude I was chatting with on discord had a whole bunch while we were playing. Every time he opened the map or inventory pretty much.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

They call it a demo because they're being honest about how much can realistically change before launch. They might be able to fix some bugs that people find but it's very representative of what you'll be getting come launch day.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Tried it on both the PS5 and PC it’s been fine after the servers got sorted.

Played with the trickster and devastator so far all the way through the demo.

Tricksters shield mechanic is okay and when you freeze time “The World!” It’s fun.

Like wise the Devastators armor and bullet rebound is so tanky you could protect a group quite well.

Have to say as cover shooters go with the powers and regen health by killing, makes this a aggressive shooter. Its quite good fun to tear through the enemies.

Going to try the other two classes but some fun to be had here.

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »

They call it a demo because they're being honest about how much can realistically change before launch. They might be able to fix some bugs that people find but it's very representative of what you'll be getting come launch day.

Yeah, that's valid. I guess I'm just not used to big crashes from AAA-produced games? I don't actually have a large gaming library.

For me, while opening the inventory/map were slower than I'd have liked, it was the cutscenes that produces all the crashes I experienced.

Steam profile