As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek] Keep On Trekkin' (Lower Decks stuff in SPOILERS)

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
keep-on-trekkin.jpg

rRwz9.gif

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Star Trek VI is the best Star Trek Movie.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I can definitely see the merits of this, as it probably leans into the optimistic future ideal the most of the movies, while still telling an engaging story with engaging characters.

I still prefer Wrath of Khan, but still.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/FCARADb9asE

:whistle:

Star Trekkin' across the universe!

:whistle:

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

This MIGHT be true if GalaxyQuest didn't exist.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Call Welshy, we're going to Pizza Hut!
    https://youtu.be/EgxWqLoafBo

• RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I think... Did I hit my head recently?

EDIT: The two previous videos are causing me to question my sanity.

Rhinocerous on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular

Yes. Better wake up before you forget how.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    You guys make fun of neelix at your own peril, janeway knew enough not to fuck with him
    He was born from war and it was implied several times throughout the show that talaxians are actually really fuckin strong
    His fool facade was just that, to lure people into a fake sense of security
    Like he probably could have beat the shit out of a klingon singlehandedly

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    because you're misremembering. the assassin is actually Col West, from earlier in the movie, not a rando romulan, and it's because the faction of the federation and the faction of the klingons were working together to try to tank the peace talks so war could keep going on forever because yay war economy

it's actually great and sucks it was cut
    alright, he was a more-or-less rando human instead of a rando romulan. It still doesn’t really add anything to the scene and it doesn’t make sense from an in-universe perspective! Klingons were in on the plot so they could’ve gotten a Klingon to do it. And they would have, because having a human do it is just pointlessly risky: the plan unravels if people find out the assassin isn’t Klingon

I mean I guess the point is to emphasize to the audience that the federation was in on the plot, but that’s clear enough without the scene

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    My movie ranking: the cold war one > the whale one > the submarine battle one > etc

Also I realized this time around that uh

teenage Spock and Saavik totally have sex right

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Like he probably could have beat the shit out of a klingon singlehandedly

Or just cook for them. Same result.

I can definitely see the merits of this, as it probably leans into the optimistic future ideal the most of the movies, while still telling an engaging story with engaging characters.

I think Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek "Movie"
    Undiscovered country is the best "Star Trek" Movie

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    You are all wrong
    I don't even see the words "first" nor "contact" in your post

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    wandering wrote: »
    My movie ranking: the cold war one > the whale one > the submarine battle one > etc

Also I realized this time around that uh

teenage Spock and Saavik totally have sex right

Later series imply Vulcans have rituals to deal with it without necessarily doing the nasty, but even with this it's normally done with your spouse. I suspect that officially Saavik did this with Spock.

Wrath of Khan keeps losing points each time they try to re-hash the plot.

DanHibiki wrote: »

Wrath of Khan keeps losing points each time they try to re-hash the plot.

Nope I will not mark points off the original for how others have dealt with it.

next thing you'll be telling me is that you don't remember seeing this great episode:
    https://youtu.be/rhJ1caYh0VU

Remember when Worf was reading the Bearstein Bears to Alexander?

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I like Star Trek. It is good.

Also, first look at Star Trek: Prodigy.
    7j5qn2uriq2g.jpeg

It looks good—I especially dig that apparently none of the mains are human. Janeway's presence implies it takes place post-Voyager, but I'm curious exactly where it falls on the timeline. Taking place pre- or post-Romulus could radically affect the show's the tone.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I would have guessed Star Wars based on that image, which is interesting

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    I'm thinking pre romulus since they have a robot

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Janeway's the captain of this tiny crew. How is she not going to be a main?

Are they going to portray her like Peanuts does its adults?

Maybe they'll do the Mass Effect thing and distinguish between differing levels of intelligence.

But nah, they wouldn't make something look like a Mass Effect plot point.

I got the impression she'd be more of an Iroh-type mentor figure. Regular appearances, a major role, but the focus ultimately stays with the younger cast.

edited February 2021
    The question is how many times she almost gets these guys killed trying to do the 'right thing'
    Especially that blue blob, is he what becomes of harry Kim though it actually would be more hilarious if it was an armus

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Mancingtom wrote: »

7j5qn2uriq2g.jpeg

It looks good—I especially dig that apparently none of the mains are human. Janeway's presence implies it takes place post-Voyager, but I'm curious exactly where it falls on the timeline. Taking place pre- or post-Romulus could radically affect the show's the tone.

i would have never guessed that was a star trek show if they didn't put it in the title.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

I got the impression she'd be more of an Iroh-type mentor figure. Regular appearances, a major role, but the focus ultimately stays with the younger cast.

Yeah but there has to be some federation law about the Captain always abandoning their ship for away missions. God forbid they actually stay put and do their job.

edited February 2021
    DanHibiki wrote: »

7j5qn2uriq2g.jpeg

i would have never guessed that was a star trek show if they didn't put it in the title.

Yeah, the franchise has never had a consistent visual philosophy for what Not-Starfleet looks like, so Picard and this have to figure one out for themselves.

Mancingtom on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think she wins the meme.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think this Facebook page is the source of the Star Trek DnD comics. They have a whole bunch of them:

https://m.facebook.com/DominionMediaTV/

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    On the one hand, Trek aliens are a long-time problem that is easily resolved in animation. On the other hand, I hate hate hate the robot. And on the third hand, surely it's cheaper to just make your Star Wars inspired show a new IP. What brand power does Trek have with children?

Coinage on
    Coinage wrote: »
    On the one hand, Trek aliens are a long-time problem that is easily resolved on animation. On the other hand, I hate hate the robot

But they were set up

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

Could be something in a suit, I'm sure I remember reading a Star Trek book where there were dolphin like aliens that worn flooded encounter suits with manipulator arms.

Plus with the tradition to redesign them in each time period, which one of these do we think is actually a Klingon?

• exisexis Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    On the one hand, Trek aliens are a long-time problem that is easily resolved in animation. On the other hand, I hate hate hate the robot. And on the third hand, surely it's cheaper to just make your Star Wars inspired show a new IP. What brand power does Trek have with children?
    I imagine it's useful to leverage parents' interest in the franchise as they'll be more inclined to get their kids watching/watch the show with their kids.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The robot reminds me of KVN from final space, with legs.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited February 2021
    After looking at that picture some more I'm thinking these kids are actually misunderstood offspring of criminals/outcasts giving them the scrappy underdog story
    Check it:
    You got the synth
    I don't know what the mechanic is
    Tall skinny one is a reman
    Next is the orion
    Big red thing is a red jem hadar, maybe that's their normal color if they're not exposed to ketrecel white
    Blue blob is either a founder or an armus

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    VI is great, but Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek movie.

Bogart wrote: »
    Somebody didn't pay attention to my quotation marks!
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I think this Facebook page is the source of the Star Trek DnD comics. They have a whole bunch of them:

https://m.facebook.com/DominionMediaTV/

yes
    154257097_276124470521261_2863165995121601920_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=3&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=RsTwDHiJpggAX_DJ_Y_&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=43c363474d3421bf0e4a1cede0c02612&oe=605B52E3

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    Somebody didn't pay attention to my quotation marks!

Someone thinks it doesn't make a difference and Wrath of Khan is the best either way!

This discussion has been closed.