As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Outriders] Ride and die (a lot).

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I haven't had any crashes yet luckily, but I have noticed a bunch of cutscene weirdness. Game's fun enough though, shotguns gib people quite nicely, though there sometimes seems to be a delay between the shot landing and enemies actually registering damage.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Where the heck is the demo for this on xbox? It’s always so hard to find demos

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    What do you do once you've done the main quests and the available side quests for a character? Is there any way to like.... keep finding stuff to kill or whatnot?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    The side quests are repeatable, and you can set your game to a previous point in the story on the main lobby screen.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Apparently I'm stuck at the lobby boss? Created a character and now I can't start a game. Start new game is locked with no tool tip why, join a random team is locked and says I haven't beat the prologue, there's nothing available in select a story point, and I can't change the world tier.

On Xbox

And restarting the game fixed it

Carpy on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Downloading demo now.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Finished the demo, pretty fun shooter, definitely feels like gears of war more than the division for the cover shooting/movement. I kept getting tripped up by trying to do gears of war style with one button doing everything and not pressing b to dodge specifically.

I bought it I'm an easy whore like that, story is still super laughable. I did like how early game I got some armor pieces that modified my skills.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Oh also, re: the bad cinematography again.... who in the world thought that shaky-cam was a good decision in a video game cinematic? Almost made me nauseous at one point.

Steam profile
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Gears of war with some destiny-flavoring sprinkled on top. Only played with a buddy, so it was good from that perspective. Not sure how enduring it would be but it was pretty fun as a duo thing.

What is this I don't even.
    kime wrote: »
    Oh also, re: the bad cinematography again.... who in the world thought that shaky-cam was a good decision in a video game cinematic? Almost made me nauseous at one point.

Think I read that it was a bug.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I did have an annoying sound bug that came up at the end of my session where like a gnat like buzzing took place when not in a cut scene, but eh probably not in the main game?

I found myself amused by the main character seemingly "man this world is fucked up" kind of shrugging at things.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Finished the demo.

I liked it! Not sure ill drop 60 on it, or it will pull me from other games but its fine.

I wish the guns felt more impactful. Also the cover system is super janky but also the game rewards being aggressive? Idk. Feels like a disconnect there. Cover or be all doom guy gears of War. Not sure which.

Finished the demo.

I liked it! Not sure ill drop 60 on it, or it will pull me from other games but its fine.

I wish the guns felt more impactful. Also the cover system is super janky but also the game rewards being aggressive? Idk. Feels like a disconnect there. Cover or be all doom guy gears of War. Not sure which.

I think it depends a bit on the class you play. I just tried the technomancer and spent a ton more time in cover than on the trickster.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Finished the demo.

The cover system is really janky and it's frustrating to me because it evokes a lot of Division and Gears games cover mechanics without being nearly as full featured or polished. I wasn't able to take cover or mantle in a lot of places where it seemed like I should be able to.

I feel the same way about the guns. And obviously it's early, but it feels like guns in this game might have the same problem Anthem did where they all feel basically identical.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Man crashed as soon as it finished the cutscene and gameplay started on my series x

Finished the demo.

The cover system is really janky and it's frustrating to me because it evokes a lot of Division and Gears games cover mechanics without being nearly as full featured or polished. I wasn't able to take cover or mantle in a lot of places where it seemed like I should be able to.

I feel the same way about the guns. And obviously it's early, but it feels like guns in this game might have the same problem Anthem did where they all feel basically identical.

The mods-or-passives-or-whatever-they're-called on the weapons seem like they could have a big impact maybe?

Steam profile
    It seems there's also different variants for weapon types. All the auto shotguns I found were slug variants for some reason, there's probably others in the full game.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The cover feels very janky. Sometimes you have to mash space, and be right up against something, to catch cover. There's no "grab distance" on the cover objects. Some other technical gripes would be the facial animations. I've already seen some strange face droop and eyes going in baffling directions situations. Also the cloth physics on a couple of things have been broken in a distracting way. Hopefully that's stuff that would be polished for the release.

Story stuff (nothing past the prologue yet)
    Seems kind of cheeseball so far. Not sure if I feel like it's in a good way or bad way yet. I'm down for some cheese if it at least goes somewhere. I do like that they didn't F around with the world state flip though. I hate it when games take hours to establish the "real story".

The premise seems interesting enough, outside of some of the wooden dialog and bad one liners. I could see the world story and lore being super interesting even if the moment to moment character interactions are a bit B movie so far.

Has anyone found any items with interesting combat tactic defining properties yet? So far I'll I've seen is your classic ARPG style +damage, +RoF, +armor, base state kind of items. I think whether this game ends up interesting to play is going to be based on weapons getting a lot more interesting than that, with interesting game play built in to the "exotic" tier weapon classes (to take a Destiny term). If late game weapons are just bigger base stat numbers that will be disappointing. Weapons that have unique efffects and abilities that interact with the class abilities could make for very interesting game play later on. If it's just big damage numbers and occasionally pressing 1/2/3 to use a power, but little interaction between the gun play and the classes, I don't think this will hold my interest long.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited February 2021
    Overall it seems very mediocre, well not quite mediocre, above average, but I just don’t think that will cut it. It’s got that high production project but done at low production values vibe, and nothing about it really stands out or grabs me. It’s all ok and vaguely interesting but nothing made me go wow or heck yes at any point. From the bulletstorm guys it all feels like too little to make an impact

Everything that’s interesting to me about it, the world, the setting etc, is undone by the aggressive games as service vibe of the gameplay. I would be a lot more interested if it wasn’t a gaas and they’d just focussed on a cool campaign

Prohass on
    re: that story spoiler,
    this is probably my fault for not expecting much and not knowing much going in, but I didn't expect the 31-year jump into post-apocalyptic times :D

Steam profile
    edited February 2021
    kime wrote: »
    re: that story spoiler,
    this is probably my fault for not expecting much and not knowing much going in, but I didn't expect the 31-year jump into post-apocalyptic times :D

Literally the only thing about it that kept me interested and makes it a likely pick up down the line when it’s cheaper for me

And while the guns feel unsatisfying to fire I feel like guns in so many games feel like this. Like guns in real life are deafening, but so many games make them sound like a car engine idling.

Prohass on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Everything that’s interesting to me about it, the world, the setting etc, is undone by the aggressive games as service vibe of the gameplay. I would be a lot more interested if it wasn’t a gaas and they’d just focussed on a cool campaign

Maybe it's just the vibe, but they've been pretty specific about it not being a GaaS? Like it sounds like focusing on a cool campaign is their goal.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    I feel like I may be jumping the gun, but does anyone else feel like the twist is going to be
    this is Earth, we were just asleep for millions of years instead of 80?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Prohass wrote: »

Maybe it's just the vibe, but they've been pretty specific about it not being a GaaS? Like it sounds like focusing on a cool campaign is their goal.

I guess I mean games as service as shorthand for coop looter shooter

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Its... just mediocre. Gave technomancer a go and it seemed pretty vanilla (at least at this level) a grenade/prox mine, Turret that can freeze guys and a bombardment. Targetting with the skills is not great, but that just might take time to get use to. Out of the guns so far I liked the shotgun and the machine gun (had a nice satisfying sound to it) used a Sniper rifle the most and while it hits hard just doesn't feel very impactful. As others have said the cover mechanics aren't great. You see all this neat stuff in the environment but the game (at least this part) really does a good job at making you feel like you are playing on rails.

Not digging the story either, maybe it is just me but with all the shit going on in the world I really don't need to escape to a game where it highlights how garbage humanity is.

Might try a couple of the other classes before I make my final verdict but I think ill pass on this. Other looter shooters do things much much better. While playing it I just kept thinking.. Division does all this better, Destiny does this better.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The cover feels very janky. Sometimes you have to mash space, and be right up against something, to catch cover. There's no "grab distance" on the cover objects. Some other technical gripes would be the facial animations. I've already seen some strange face droop and eyes going in baffling directions situations. Also the cloth physics on a couple of things have been broken in a distracting way. Hopefully that's stuff that would be polished for the release.

Story stuff (nothing past the prologue yet)
    Seems kind of cheeseball so far. Not sure if I feel like it's in a good way or bad way yet. I'm down for some cheese if it at least goes somewhere. I do like that they didn't F around with the world state flip though. I hate it when games take hours to establish the "real story".

The premise seems interesting enough, outside of some of the wooden dialog and bad one liners. I could see the world story and lore being super interesting even if the moment to moment character interactions are a bit B movie so far.

Has anyone found any items with interesting combat tactic defining properties yet? So far I'll I've seen is your classic ARPG style +damage, +RoF, +armor, base state kind of items. I think whether this game ends up interesting to play is going to be based on weapons getting a lot more interesting than that, with interesting game play built in to the "exotic" tier weapon classes (to take a Destiny term). If late game weapons are just bigger base stat numbers that will be disappointing. Weapons that have unique efffects and abilities that interact with the class abilities could make for very interesting game play later on. If it's just big damage numbers and occasionally pressing 1/2/3 to use a power, but little interaction between the gun play and the classes, I don't think this will hold my interest long.

Blue items have talents on them. I've picked up a shotgun that ricochets to 3 enemies when I hit someone under 50% health, an AR that heals on hit, an AR that releases an explosion on impact with a 3 second cd, and a chest that gave me an extra use of earthquake (first devastator power)

Seems like guns can roll with a random stat as well, I've seen life leech and armor pen

Edit: I haven't had much issues snapping to cover on Xbox, it seems to have a big range as well. Smaller objects I've had issues snapping to the desired side, that was particularly an issue in the last fight. It probably wouldn't have been as bad if moving around a corner in cover was as smooth as Gears or Div2 but this whole hold A thing to turn a corner needs to change.

Had a could instances where I would stand up out of cover if my camera got parallelish with my cover but that's similar behavior to what I see in Div2.

Carpy on
    edited February 2021
    The story and setting are decent, the gameplay is decent if a bit floaty and impactless, just overall there’s a lot I can see people liking but not a lot to love, but good on them for releasing a demo at least, that shows confidence and at least people will be able to buy it knowing what they’re in for

The cover as others have said is a bit rough, and I appreciate them mixing it up with a lot of aggressive tactics but it kind of feels like neither aspect is as strong as it could be

Also while there are your usual explosive barrels, there was a heavy box hanging from a hook right above an enemies head and I totally expected to be able to shoot it and see it fall but it was just static. That’s maybe being too critical but it all adds up to making it feel competent but unremarkable

Overall the kind of world and set building is the standout for me. Not because it’s unique but it just seems well done and a lot of effort has been put into the presentation, it doesn’t always pay off but I appreciate it nonetheless. I think whether the overall game works will depend on how varied and engaging missions are and how much skills and abilities open up at higher levels

I appreciate that on like a set building and presentation level it really does feel like a big war is going on. A lot of games don’t pull that off

Prohass on
    Dac wrote: »
    I feel like I may be jumping the gun, but does anyone else feel like the twist is going to be
    this is Earth, we were just asleep for millions of years instead of 80?

That'd be really weird if it was.
    That would require the colony ship to have done a U-turn without anyone noticing, which is unlikely, but not impossible, but also the ship to he able to survive that long without completely breaking down, which is definitely not possible.

edited February 2021
    I like the devestator or whatever because I think the gameplay is strongest when using abilities to fly around the map and only using cover when I’m waiting for abilities to recharge. The other classes have that too but I enjoyed it the best. It definitely felt better as it went on so I’m actually hoping that the abilities will be what sells the game here if they open up more at higher levels.

I actually went from meh to I’ll probably grab it with the solar tower mission.

I’ll wait and see how reports on the full game are I think. On series x it’s not a super impressive looking game either, it has a kind of very slight cartoon style to the visuals that saves it from looking too bleh, but it’s definitely not a looker by any stretch. And there’s some hitching with the frame rate even on the series x, but maybe that’s just the demo

Prohass on
    I can't tell if the shakey, Blare Witch, camera thing in cut scenes is intentional or a bug...but it's terrible and needs to be a toggle if it's not already.

I agree with a lot of other folks sentiment. It feels like a good but unremarkable game. Something my friends and I might pick up on a Steam sale and run the campaign co-op. So far I'm not seeing anything here that would be keep me for any kind of end game grind or the like. The story and world setting seem just interesting enough for me to see where they go. The moment to moment combat, as presented in the demo, doesn't seem deep or engaging enough to support that kind of replay loop.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    My division muscle memory is not helping me with dodge being a different button to the cover button

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    ok so this game is surprisingly fun. Halfway to level 6, just defeated my first big bad boss, and loving the Pyro class.

some quibbles:
    the 30fps cutscenes are a bit problem (somebody posted this is fixed in retail)
    dodging doesn't seem to work great? usually it doesn't seem to work, not sure what is going on there
    the cover system also seems real janky

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    After getting near the end of the demo, fighting the first boss and getting some blues I'm starting to see some potential here in the systems. I'm definitely getting items that play with my skills now which is what I was hoping to see. I also got an AR that sticky bombs people and armor pierces and it's been a fun gun to play with.

The class skill tree looks pretty interesting as well. There definitely seems to be the idea of builds here, combining some items with different points in your skill tree for different play styles for the class. I wouldn't say it's infinitely deep like something like PoE but I think there's some fun interactions to play with here.

edited February 2021
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ok so this game is surprisingly fun. Halfway to level 6, just defeated my first big bad boss, and loving the Pyro class.

some quibbles:
    the 30fps cutscenes are a bit problem (somebody posted this is fixed in retail)
    dodging doesn't seem to work great? usually it doesn't seem to work, not sure what is going on there
    the cover system also seems real janky

I’ve noticed this with dodging too, sometimes I’ll dodge something by a mile but it won’t quite work. And altho it has the same basic issue as most cover shooters with trying to move around corners of cover, it’s much worse here cos of how the powers encourage you to move back and forth between enemy ranks, so if you end up on the wrong side of a piece of cover you’re often way more exposed

Still overall it tends to work, I just dodge out of cover if I click into the wrong side, rather than trying to hold the reposition button. The cover is basically there to retreat to while your powers recharge or you need to get your bearings

I think the powers work well but I’m not sure how they’ll go long term, I think it depends on enemy variety. Some of the locales and the direction of the story post the demo look interesting and colourful.

Technically the game is ok looking and runs ok, hopefully a bit more polish frame rate wise in the full retail, it was nothing too bad but occasional jitters happen a fair bit

Overall I’ll likely get this on special, looks decent overall, a bit hard to judge via the demo as it has the potential to be fun but also could get very repetitive and stale if the skill tree, gun variety and enemies don’t shake things up

Very much my impression coming away from it was “well that certainly is a video game”. The demo twist reveal was neat, but it’s still not the most unique of settings, very standard fare. I’m seeing a lot of 7s in its review future.

I think it comes down to whether you’re in the mood for standard video game fare, if you’re after something a bit more unique and different this will likely not be in your wheelhouse.

Also I like this armour set you get at the end
    014e107b-d74f-489b-85ae-02f88a5cf575.PNG?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=dWQsNCw%2FbWp8hvHynaWSPSLHvIadmQz70hEzz3R5sag%3D

Prohass on
    Finished the demo content. Call me intrigued, I'd be curious to see where the story and world building go. Not sure if I'm full price intrigued. The extended post demo trailer seems to hint at a lot more interesting areas and enemies later in the game. Wish the demo had gotten a little farther than "mow down Generic Human Sadists".

If I had a primary gripe with the tome and tenor (overall world spoilers, nothing specific):
    They play up the "Man, humans are real bastards aren't they?" angle a bit much. A couple of the side missions seem to exist solely to remind you that humans are complete shitheads. At one point your character event opines that the war may not be worth winning...because humans are such assholes.

The biggest make or break for me is going to be verticality and map diversity. There's no real verticality since you can't jump, so it's all illusory around moving up and down the flat plane with hills.

Every map is an open field with the little, copy pasted chunks of cover scattered across it. A few maps started to be more interesting with hills and sniper points, but the game will get old really fast if it never gets any more complicated than that.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Really enjoyed this be - DEMO! despite the numerous (and I mean numerous) crashes that seem to be related to Easy Anti-Cheat and creating a new character. The prologue was rough as hell and I'm glad progress transfers. I get that you don't have powers at the beginning but boy howdy was this a janky opening. Speaking of janky, the narrative work is really bad - I hate games where you get whiplash from the story; character just meets a big bad and in the next scene talks as if they've known them forever. Also the camera work sucks.

. . .but the gameplay. Yowza! At first I wasn't digging it with the PYROMANCER, mostly because I was playing this like The Division or your other looter shooters. Once I started engaging enemies in medium range and liberally using my melee to setup a heal effect - things started to click. Played the other classes and while I enjoyed them (Devestator, Technomancer and Trickster in that order) - the Pyro just felt right to me.

That said there are definitely bugs that need to be worked out and their whole "This is a demo not a beta. . ." marketing feels a little silly after the fact (given that they're already taking feedback and letting people know on Twitter a patch is incoming) - like just call it a prerelease beta. I think the prologue is going to put folks off who don't grind through it in advance but there really is an enjoyable game here and I can see where they are going with the high level stuff and endgame.

I also got a legendary gun that shoots fire and lightning.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    It's fine....but it's weird. The point of the combat seems to be aggressive, get in their face, heal while killing, but the intro / tutorial parts are teaching you to play it as a cover shooter. It's fighting itself.

Relatedly, I just kept feeling "Space Marine did it better" in terms of shooting, but aggressive / heal while killing, combat.

God, I miss Space Marine.

The other problem is it feels like a GaaS and, to be honest, I WANT it to be a GaaS. I want long term games....but they're bending over backwards saying it's not one. That's fine....

....but those NPC vendors sure as hell have a UI / look to them that reminds me of Avengers.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I ran through about an hour with the trickster. My major complaint is that the melee feels completely weightless. Like I wave my hand near somebody and then they kind of react a second later, feels like a terribly choreographed action film. In theory I like the gameplay, getting right up in people's faces, slow time then shotgun and melee whole groups to death, tanking long range fire by just killing a lot of guys. I just wish it was more visceral. I don't see any of you fine folks complaining about it though, so maybe its a pure trickster problem? I'm going to try all of the classes at some point I'm sure.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Legendaries (the most powerful gear in the game) have started to drop for some people and the guns don't have unique perks? All perks have a power level from 1-3, where the third level of the perk is just an increase to damage or percentages. And legendaries just have the 3rd level of a given perk. Sort of disappointing to me since most games like this (Destiny/Diablo/Borderlands, etc) all have unique and build changing perks on their most powerful gear.

The upside to this is that, according to what I'm reading, all mods can be removed from gear and placed into other gear. So gun customization will be interesting at least.