As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RAM and compatibility

Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
Ok, so I have this motherboard Asus P4T533-C

I currently have two of these sticks of RAM in it here.

I want to get 512MB more RAM, with two 256MB sticks. On the memoryx.net site, they had a tool that would check which motherboard you have, and what ram you can buy from them that would be compatible with your board.

Here is the list.

As you can see, I am interested in either of the two listed 256MB sticks there. I'm wondering which one I should get, and could I put them in with the other two sticks I already have in there?

Thanks for your help.

Steam
Xbox Live: Kunohara
Racist Joke on

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    HA HA HA HA!!!! Rambus. Oh god, I lol'd.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That really doesn't help me at all.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For the price of two sticks of that 256mb of ram you could get a new Mobo and two gigs of DDR2 ram. And for not that much more you could end up with a usable system.

As for compatibility according to this ebay LISTINGS:2" rel="nofollow">guide you need to match the FSB to the ram speed so in your case you'll need PC1066

Rook on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Not worth it at all. $250 for 512MB of RAM. Seriously, I don't care how slow your computer is, just save that money towards something new. Spend 2x-3x that amount and you are going to see a speed increase you won't believe.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    OK.. I've got a similar question.
    I've got an ABIT AG8-V
    And 4 sticks of 512 OCZ DDR PC-3200
    And a Intel Pentium 4 640 3.2 GHz CPU, Socket LGA775

It's an odd combination of DDR ram and 775 cpu and PCI-E and it's feeling a little slow these days.

I'm looking to get a Mobo with 5.1 sound, gigabit LAN and support for 2 gig of DDR2 800 ram or better.
    The caveat is that mobo + 2 gig ram should cost <$500.

Also, is this a good way to go for future upgrades? Can I slot a quad core into it once I get sick of my 3.2 single. Also is support for just 2 gig RAM enough?

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You can easily get the mobo, RAM, and processor for under $500

Asus Motherboard or Gigabyte
    Processor
    RAM

That'll run you $450.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wow.. wasn't looking for a CPU actually..
    So I can do this for about 2 bills?
    Outstanding.

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It looks like the gigabyte will support that Pentium 4. Not sure about the Asus.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The Asus supports LGA 775.. Does that not immediately mean my old one will be OK?

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hiravaxis wrote: »
    The Asus supports LGA 775.. Does that not immediately mean my old one will be OK?

Not automatically

In this case it needs to be have an FSB of 800 or more which the Pentium 4 640 does. Still that's a pretty old, and fairly rubbish CPU, you'd be much better of buying a shiney new one.

Rook on
  • Options
    waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just an FYI about RAM, some mobos default to different voltages, this can create problems.

In my case I have a Striker Extreme 680i, which defaults memory to 1.8v 1T. Now the Corsair Dominator RAM I use requires 2.1v to run. So in order to make it work (ie even POST to get into BIOS) I had to use a cheapo stick of 1.8v memory to get in, set VDIMM manually, plug in the memory, set all timings and values, and then go.

Now this sort of bullshit behavior really only happens on high value boards, but I've seen it enough to mention it.

As for compatibility according to this ebay guide you need to match the FSB to the ram speed so in your case you'll need PC1066

Umm, no, very wrong. FSB isn't really linked to memory speed anymore, and you'll need to double that memory speed to convert it to the FSB anyways. AKA ddr2 6400 PC800 would be a 1600 FSB, you have more then enough room. RAM speeds over that are for overclocking, and you can even do that with 6400 RAM. Toss in the fact that the system will work faster when all speeds are linked and memory 6400 and up pretty much demands you overclock to see the real gains from it, that or unlink it for some gain.
    Not automatically

In this case it needs to be have an FSB of 800 or more which the Pentium 4 640 does. Still that's a pretty old, and fairly rubbish CPU, you'd be much better of buying a shiney new one.

Depends on BIOS updates. Just because a board supports something doesn't mean it ships with a BIOS that will.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As for compatibility according to this ebay guide you need to match the FSB to the ram speed so in your case you'll need PC1066

Umm, no, very wrong. FSB isn't really linked to memory speed anymore, and you'll need to double that memory speed to convert it to the FSB anyways. AKA ddr2 6400 PC800 would be a 1600 FSB, you have more then enough room. RAM speeds over that are for overclocking, and you can even do that with 6400 RAM. Toss in the fact that the system will work faster when all speeds are linked and memory 6400 and up pretty much demands you overclock to see the real gains from it, that or unlink it for some gain.

I know it's true now, especially with DDR, but RDRAM I'm not so sure, especially mixing modules from different manufacturers. It's fussy, it needs to be installed in matched pairs etc. I wouldn't bother with the risk considering the price.

Not automatically

Depends on BIOS updates. Just because a board supports something doesn't mean it ships with a BIOS that will.

"in this case" means I've bothered looking up the answer.

Rook on
  • Options
    waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rook wrote: »

I know it's true now, especially with DDR, but RDRAM I'm not so sure, especially mixing modules from different manufacturers. It's fussy, it needs to be installed in matched pairs etc. I wouldn't bother with the risk considering the price.

Not automatically

"in this case" means I've bothered looking up the answer.

Again, boards support MANY fsb ratings depending on bios. So the same board will/won't work with the same CPU depending on the BIOS shipped, and the site, adverts, change with that, but do not always equate to the BIOS you get shipped.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So could I still use a 800 sticks with the 1066 I have inside already? I have updated my BIOS for the board to the latest version. I was planning on two 256 sticks since I think my board has to have the RAM installed in pairs.

Why I'm asking about the 800 is that its only $69 bucks or so for one stick, so $130 for both is decent for me. I really don't want to spend more to get a new board, cpu, ram etc, since I think upgrading to 1 gig will be more than enough for me for a long while yet (to be honest, I'm doing this mostly for WoW, as I've heard that upgrading to 1 gig makes a world of difference in speed etc).

Racist Joke on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Kunohara wrote: »
    So could I still use a 800 sticks with the 1066 I have inside already? I have updated my BIOS for the board to the latest version. I was planning on two 256 sticks since I think my board has to have the RAM installed in pairs.

Why I'm asking about the 800 is that its only $69 bucks or so for one stick, so $130 for both is decent for me. I really don't want to spend more to get a new board, cpu, ram etc, since I think upgrading to 1 gig will be more than enough for me for a long while yet (to be honest, I'm doing this mostly for WoW, as I've heard that upgrading to 1 gig makes a world of difference in speed etc).

Honestly we'd have to see the rest of your specs to make a judgment; depending on your processor/graphics card it might make a difference, but it doesn't seem worth it for $130 when you could have the start of a better machine for like $300...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Here are my specs:
    MB: ASUS P4T-533C
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2.26GHz, 533FSB, 512K ATC, Socket 478
    RAM: 512MB Rambus 4200 (1066 MHz) ECC, uses 2x 256MB
    Graphics card: Geforce 6200
    Power supply: 320 watt ATX Power Supply

Hope this helps.