As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i already have a bunch of those spare, and should be pretty fast to breed and catch any others

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I got cocky because i got my shiny Toxel at 920 encounters and hatched shiny scorbunny at 992 eggs

Then decided to go after Sinistea in crown tundra and just broke 3000 encounters on it. Think my shiny charm broke

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    i already have a bunch of those spare, and should be pretty fast to breed and catch any others

Do you need anything specific ? I have a few doubles for legendaries.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    i'm playing PoGo for the mythicals and shinies and i'm hating every step of the way

Same. Almost finished the new shiny Celebi quest, which is easier to complete than the old non-shiny Celebi quest

Once I have that I'm only missing Phione, Genesect, Diancie and Marshadow for the HOME Dex

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    me, replaying White: "fuck it, I've never really interacted with the status system before in single player, let's give it a try."

So I get Lenora's Herdier to -5 attack with my Audino's Growl thanks to some lucky Take Down misses early on.

Herdier crits three consecutive times to ignore the attack penalty and one-shot all the Pokemon I'd put any effort into levelling.

I wonder why nobody bothers to interact with this system you've designed, Game Freak.

In my experience, the only good moves like that are the ones like Swords Dance that give 2 or more boosts. Nasty Plot, Quiver Dance, Dragon Dance, moves like that tend to be worthwhile even in the story, because you can set up for a sweep. Moves that lower accuracy/ boost evasion can also be worth it if you can live long enough to spam them.

Single stat drops/boosts are a waste of time. Drops in particular tend to be bad unless they're incidental (like from Intimidate) because at best you're only crippling a single Pokemon. I suggest instead you see about focusing on status conditions, like Toxic, Paralysis, and Confusion. Maybe throw in some entry hazards and Whirlwind or Roar.

I'm aware of which are actually good and which aren't, I've had my encounters with comp pokemon before and used SD Scizor/DD Tyranitar et al :smile:

This was more like "engaging with the game on the level the devs intended" line of thinking. If they put the moves in the game they must have expected them to get used at some point, and I wanted to see how it'd play to give them the benefit of the doubt there. It went poorly, as you can see!

But it's moreso how the crit system completely ignores attacking debuffs/defensive buffs that annoys me, and how it interacts with the buff system in general. If I had to guess crits cutting through is meant to be a "check" on someone who gets +6 defenses to make an otherwise invulnerable 'mon... but then that just begs the question of why do you let it get up to +6 to make an invulnerable 'mon? I guess my point is if I could armchair game designer make some changes to the battle system, I'd cap buffs and debuffs to like +-2 or 3 and remove their interaction with crits.

Also, very minor point, Growl would actually be useful if they ever delivered on a game that's primarily double battling through the story mode. Even though it's single-stage it hits both opponents which can be mighty handy if you don't have an intimidate 'mon available.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited December 2020
    Turambar wrote: »
    i'm playing PoGo for the mythicals and shinies and i'm hating every step of the way

Same. Almost finished the new shiny Celebi quest, which is easier to complete than the old non-shiny Celebi quest

Once I have that I'm only missing Phione, Genesect, Diancie and Marshadow for the HOME Dex

Its frustrating to me you cant look for any of those on gts.

King Riptor on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    wait... where the fuck is my Manaphy??? I definitely had one from an event way back in the day, but I just moved all my legends off of Platinum to Home and it wasn't there...

My Diamond cart seems to be totally dead (after an incident where it got lost in a car for a month, something inside had gotten knocked loose and it'd only boot if held at certain angles), and my HeartGold cart is totally AWOL. :c

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited December 2020
    wait... where the fuck is my Manaphy??? I definitely had one from an event way back in the day, but I just moved all my legends off of Platinum to Home and it wasn't there...

My Diamond cart seems to be totally dead (after an incident where it got lost in a car for a month, something inside had gotten knocked loose and it'd only boot if held at certain angles), and my HeartGold cart is totally AWOL. :c

Back in the day I had the Action replay and made manaphy eggs for everyone I knew. This was before bank of course so no idea where they all went

King Riptor on
    I did find my HeartGold (it was in my Moon case??? I don't even keep games in cases anymore, when did that happen), but still no Manaphy to be located :c

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    me, replaying White: "fuck it, I've never really interacted with the status system before in single player, let's give it a try."

So I get Lenora's Herdier to -5 attack with my Audino's Growl thanks to some lucky Take Down misses early on.

Herdier crits three consecutive times to ignore the attack penalty and one-shot all the Pokemon I'd put any effort into levelling.

I wonder why nobody bothers to interact with this system you've designed, Game Freak.

In my experience, the only good moves like that are the ones like Swords Dance that give 2 or more boosts. Nasty Plot, Quiver Dance, Dragon Dance, moves like that tend to be worthwhile even in the story, because you can set up for a sweep. Moves that lower accuracy/ boost evasion can also be worth it if you can live long enough to spam them.

Single stat drops/boosts are a waste of time. Drops in particular tend to be bad unless they're incidental (like from Intimidate) because at best you're only crippling a single Pokemon. I suggest instead you see about focusing on status conditions, like Toxic, Paralysis, and Confusion. Maybe throw in some entry hazards and Whirlwind or Roar.

I'm aware of which are actually good and which aren't, I've had my encounters with comp pokemon before and used SD Scizor/DD Tyranitar et al :smile:

This was more like "engaging with the game on the level the devs intended" line of thinking. If they put the moves in the game they must have expected them to get used at some point, and I wanted to see how it'd play to give them the benefit of the doubt there. It went poorly, as you can see!

But it's moreso how the crit system completely ignores attacking debuffs/defensive buffs that annoys me, and how it interacts with the buff system in general. If I had to guess crits cutting through is meant to be a "check" on someone who gets +6 defenses to make an otherwise invulnerable 'mon... but then that just begs the question of why do you let it get up to +6 to make an invulnerable 'mon? I guess my point is if I could armchair game designer make some changes to the battle system, I'd cap buffs and debuffs to like +-2 or 3 and remove their interaction with crits.

Also, very minor point, Growl would actually be useful if they ever delivered on a game that's primarily double battling through the story mode. Even though it's single-stage it hits both opponents which can be mighty handy if you don't have an intimidate 'mon available.

I'm think the issue with crits is a holdover from the earliest pre-release designs where they had something closer to "traditional" JRPG battle systems (ie. infinite use basic physical attack and finite use "special attacks" and so forth); said systems had stat ignoring crits so Pokémon had a version of them as well, and now it sticks around due to a sort of Grandfather Clause.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Double battles are where it’s at, honestly, for the very reason that Pokémon uses the battle system of a party based JRPG.

The battle system would actually work if it’s a few verses a few, where you could combo debuffs and attacks in a single turn.

94f8ckppkfyh.png

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    If they want to focus on double battles (or triple, where you could really build up some synergies) then they'd need to change the battle system in a few ways:

1. Speed everything up. They're still relying on way too much baggage from earlier gen limitations that do nothing but slow things down. Pokemon uses a Move. Pause. Animation. Watch HP drain for several seconds. Pause. Enemy Pokemon uses a Move. Pause. Animation. Watch HP drain. It's Super Effective! Pause. Pokemon takes poison damage! Pause. Enemy Pokemon takes burn damage! Pause. Pokemon takes Sandstorm damage. Pause. Enemy Pokemon takes Sandstorm damage. Pause. The Sandstorm subsided. It's so much worse in doubles. All this crap needs to get compressed or converted to icons or otherwise sped up. It's fucking intolerable. This one's totally doable.

2. In doubles or triples, it's way too easy for a single Pokemon to get dogpiled in one round and knocked out, even without a type advantage. The game isn't designed for you to lose half your team in every story battle. This doesn't happen in traditional JRPGs because enemies and allies don't use the same stat blocks. Enemies have high HP and low damage, PCs have high damage and low HP. Making that specific change would alter the central conceit of the game, so they'd have to do something else. They could make it so all Pokemon revived and fully healed after each battle and maybe allow fainted Pokemon that participated in battle to get EXP, though that would obviate a whole bunch of the standard game items. Or they could implement a front row/back row system where most attacks can only hit Pokemon in the front row. I don't think the change-averse Game Freak is likely to make any change this drastic, at least not in a main series title.

Terrendos on
    Oh i gots at least a couple of each mythical and a bunch of each legendary... I paid a lot of attention to the 2016 and 2018 events (and bothered a lot of forumers, cause i'm not from the USA so no code cards for me).
    But thanks for the offer! Nah, i don't really need anything, just like to help people and pay it forward from the people who helped me.

BTW i got my 2 irish zarude codes, unfortunately they're "the same" as the french one... So i'm giving both away. PM me for one.

The USA code (that never arrives) is "compatible" with the european ones, though. So you can have 2 zarudes if the USA code ever arrives.

camo_sig2.png
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I think even single battles needs "fast-forward/skip" buttons, like Fire Emblem has.

I think even single battles needs "fast-forward/skip" buttons, like Fire Emblem has.

i'm playing Platinum, cause i started at Y, so i wanna go from 4 to 5.
    jesus christ what a horrible slog. People dislike XY, but platinum is so much worse in all senses. And people say it's a lot better than Diamond and Pearl. The hp bar draining alone has taken like 5 hours of my life. It took me 35 h to get to 5 badges.

camo_sig2.png
    Oh i gots at least a couple of each mythical and a bunch of each legendary... I paid a lot of attention to the 2016 and 2018 events (and bothered a lot of forumers, cause i'm not from the USA so no code cards for me).
    But thanks for the offer! Nah, i don't really need anything, just like to help people and pay it forward from the people who helped me.

BTW i got my 2 irish zarude codes, unfortunately they're "the same" as the french one... So i'm giving both away. PM me for one.

The USA code (that never arrives) is "compatible" with the european ones, though. So you can have 2 zarudes if the USA code ever arrives.

A-are you a wizard?

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

A-are you a wizard?

fn9q0vhlb27v.png

I love mismagius, thanks for that <3

why am i a wizard tho

camo_sig2.png
    I love mismagius, thanks for that <3

why am i a wizard tho

Just a joke. I have like one extra manaphy that I swiped from my brother so the idea of extra mythicals is amazing to me

edited December 2020
    Well they did give them out by the dozens
    you just needed to have more than one game from those generations, then you'd be set.
    and they gave out Celebi a few more times too.

I guess no one wants a Zarude, then?

Edit: Well zarudes are gonne now :D

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Genesect is in raids in GO atm for those who need it for their Home dex

Got mine and only missing 3 mythicals now

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Nintendo's announced New Pokemon Snap will have a release date of April 30, 2021.

Not gonna lie- it's going to be my birthday present to myself, more than likely. It looks fun, and with the potential for DLC... this is one of those games that my niece and I are going to end up playing together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq8Kn6mhUxA

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I tried to play Pokemon with my 6 year old niece over Christmas break but it's the first game she'd ever played and it was a little overwhelming. Also she just wanted to run from all the battles because she didn't want to fight. This might be a good alternative.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Gonna be some Pokémon Snap info, I'm guessing. Beyond that, I wouldn't know.

Well we got our Diamond and Pearl remake and... it looks interesting.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Pokemon Legends: Arceus? No idea what they're doing with that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    OMG Pokemon Legends looks amazing!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Well, hot damn.
    Pokemon Legends: Arceus. A real-time exploration game set in ancient Sinnoh, with the ability to capture pokemon as they roam in the wild.

I don't want to just say "Pokemon BOTW", but there's some of that DNA in there.

I still don't agree with the hard "C" in Arceus in the English dubs.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely getting
    BOTW vibes.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely getting
    BOTW vibes.
    That stealth-mode hop is pretty distinctive.

edited February 2021
    Did the stream just abruptly end for anyone else?!

edit: Looks like the planned time for live stream didn't calculate Youtube's built in countown time and cut off the last couple minutes. Going to pokemon.com had the rest of the video attached to the linked video.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yes, I was able to get the last bit by reloading it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Refresh the page. I think the lag was making it fall behind.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Seemed to be still turn based battles in Arceus so not a crazy change.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited February 2021
    Wow, I'm legit surprised that everything shown off was Switch related.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    One thing that's bugging me about Legends though.
    The time period looks very old, and pre-industrial.
    Yet pokeballs exist? Magic?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I guess Pokemon Sleep was quietly canned.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Seemed to be still turn based battles in Arceus so not a crazy change.

Yeah. That's probably to be expected; the turn-based battles are kind of a major part of the series.

Though the overworld exploration has some potential, and I'm interested to see if they have the trainer do stuff during battles.