As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I ended up getting the low end denon the wirecutter recommended, I'm a little skiddish about it with all of the reviews mentioning failures with it but I got an extended warranty with it so we'll see.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I just bought a middle end Denon myself and the complaints I read were mostly from people overdriving cheap speakers or hdmi 2.1 related which is an industry problem

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I have G650 Logitech speakers for my pc and I always forget but when I turn the sound down to zero, it doesn’t come back on again, ie, when I put it back up there’s just no sound. It’s so annoying and I always forget how to fix it. Right now I’m leaving it all unplugged and off for a few minutes cos I was getting so angry under my computer desk

Edit: Turns out that fixed it, just have to remember not to turn it all the way down to zero and if I do unplug it

Prohass on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I want to get a high end wireless headset for work. Ideally I'd like a headset that has Bluetooth and RF, open back, good quality drivers, and a good quality mic that can flip up out of the way. I don't care if my mic is detachable but I do need it to get out of my way without having to detach and reattach it.

I've been eyeing the Astro A50. I've owned one of their wired headsets at home for the last ~8 years and it's been great. However the A50 is pretty expensive and I don't know if I can really justify it on the company credit card. Thinking about maying going refurbished to get the cost down. I like the look of the Corsair headsets but they mostly lack a flip up mic on the high end.

You guys have any suggestions?

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I feel like mic + open back doesn't really make a lot of sense, cause then you mic would just be picking up the sound that would normally be contained by the headphones and your get a lot of feedback/echoing?

I really like the steelseries artic 7 I got for gaming, but it isn't Bluetooth its USB or 3.5mm cord, but the USB covers my entire 700sqft apartment. Mic is actually retractable instead of swing, but it feels great and if you mute the mic, it turns on a red led so you don't accidentally mute yourself you 30minutes, and it's very comfortable for long gaming sessions for me

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I feel like mic + open back doesn't really make a lot of sense, cause then you mic would just be picking up the sound that would normally be contained by the headphones and your get a lot of feedback/echoing?

I really like the steelseries artic 7 I got for gaming, but it isn't Bluetooth its USB or 3.5mm cord, but the USB covers my entire 700sqft apartment. Mic is actually retractable instead of swing, but it feels great and if you mute the mic, it turns on a red led so you don't accidentally mute yourself you 30minutes, and it's very comfortable for long gaming sessions for me

That's a good point about open back. I didn't think about that. I'll check that headset out.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I have Drop Pandas and and Artic 7 as well. I prefer the Arctic 7 for gaming with just the comfort being much higher. I think I'm using the RF model though.

I never noticed any delay on the audio with the Pandas but can't use mic and headset while gaming over BT.

Dixon wrote: »
    Yeah I have Drop Pandas and and Artic 7 as well. I prefer the Arctic 7 for gaming with just the comfort being much higher. I think I'm using the RF model though.

I never noticed any delay on the audio with the Pandas but can't use mic and headset while gaming over BT.

This has been my big problem. I have a set of Galaxy Buds that work great on my smartphone but the Windows Bluetooth stack is TERRIBLE so I'm either suck with no mic or TERRIBLE quality mono audio with the mic. I even got myself one of those fancy Intel AX210 wireless cards for my laptop that has BT 5.2 but Windows still can't handle 3 BT audio channels. Windows has always has shitty BT support and every version I keep hoping they fix it. Even MacOS has had proper BT support for the last decade but Windows still can't get it's shit together.

So here I am shopping for an RF headset in a bluetooth world. Ugg...

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

This has been my big problem. I have a set of Galaxy Buds that work great on my smartphone but the Windows Bluetooth stack is TERRIBLE so I'm either suck with no mic or TERRIBLE quality mono audio with the mic. I even got myself one of those fancy Intel AX210 wireless cards for my laptop that has BT 5.2 but Windows still can't handle 3 BT audio channels. Windows has always has shitty BT support and every version I keep hoping they fix it. Even MacOS has had proper BT support for the last decade but Windows still can't get it's shit together.

Bluetooth always has shitty audio when it comes to headsets and microphones. It's a bandwidth problem and not strictly a Windows problem. It will never really be crystal clear (at best, it's high- AND low-passed), and I can always tell when someone is using a Bluetooth headset on their end on a phone call.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Bluetooth always has shitty audio when it comes to headsets and microphones. It's a bandwidth problem and not strictly a Windows problem. It will never really be crystal clear (at best, it's high- AND low-passed), and I can always tell when someone is using a Bluetooth headset on their end on a phone call.

That is absolutely not the case anymore. Bluetooth 5.0 and up have MORE than enough bandwidth for this. It works FINE on Android. It absolutely is a Windows issue. If I were to pair a high end BT headset to my phone, you would be unable to tell the difference between it and the mic built into the phone. I know because I used to do this with my old BT headset, before it died on me.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

That is absolutely not the case anymore. Bluetooth 5.0 and up have MORE than enough bandwidth for this. It works FINE on Android. It absolutely is a Windows issue. If I were to pair a high end BT headset to my phone, you would be unable to tell the difference between it and the mic built into the phone. I know because I used to do this with my old BT headset, before it died on me.
    Hey, I want to believe in the gospel of NuBluetooth just as much as you seem to do, but real-world testing seems to prove otherwise, sadly. It could be because I'm in a RF/Bluetooth-saturated area... there are a lot of wireless things that just don't work well given the population density of my location.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I have a Steel Series Arctic 7 as well and have been pretty happy with it. It's very comfortable and I've gotten solid feedback from people I have had Teams conferences with on the mic quality.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Can vouch for Arctis 7 as well. I use it for work everyday. The range is also nice - my office is in the 2nd floor of my townhome and I can be down in my kitchen/greatroom with no decrease in quality.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    edited March 2021
    You can get the arctis 7 for about half the price of that A50 that I see online, too.

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=Arctis&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

I convinced on of my friends to get a new headset cause his old one the mic would intermittently cut out, and the voice is clear as day from his mic now

Edit: Slickdeals is a forum for finding slick deals. No refferal link or anything, just a search results on their website

Burtletoy on

Is this actually Windows and not the headsets problem?

I'll have to try on my mac and see if it works.

It always seemed like the headset itself was just turning off my headphone output device and there was like a secret 3rd device for output when the BT input device was on. It happens live as well, it's almost like I can hear the swap happen.

Is this actually Windows and not the headsets problem?

I'll have to try on my mac and see if it works.

It always seemed like the headset itself was just turning off my headphone output device and there was like a secret 3rd device for output when the BT input device was on. It happens live as well, it's almost like I can hear the swap happen.

I spent the better part of this and last week trying to figure it out. It seems that, regardless of what kind of BT headset you try to use with Windows, the BT stack simply can't handle more than 2 channels of sound. More specifically, Windows is unable to handle stereo audio output and mono/stereo audio input. The Apple Airpods work seamlessly with your Macbook because Apple is using a modern, fully featured bluetooth stack along with their own secret sauce.

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    I've HD598 headphones and a modmic since forever, I've never had any issues with open backed headphones and a mic.

In fact my stuff is so old I'm looking to get new stuff, but the combination I want pretty much doesnt exist. Wireless + open backed is extremely uncommon.

I found a Refurbished Arctis 7 on ebay. We had a $10 bonus waiting in the account too so I was able to get it for just $100. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives. Thanks for the suggestions!

People might flog me for saying it but I also suggest installing their software for the EQ. They sound 1000x better with it.

I couldn’t even replicate the effect with peace. Maybe it’s doing something else as well.

Got my new headset today. I've only been playing with it for a half hour now but so far I really like it. It's pretty comfy. The mic sounds good enough and tucks up out of the way when not needed. Range seems pretty good too. I'm able to get from my desk to the kitchen across the office with no issues.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Would soundbar chat be welcome here, or is that more of a TV thread thing?

I was looking at home theatre sound system upgrades from our current HTiB but my better half vetoed running wires to rear speakers since there's a fairly major thoroughfare in front of the TV and we're hoping to move in a few years so harder to justify holes in the roof or walls.

It looks like soundbars have filled the niche that the dvd / blu-ray player and speaker combos were in last time I bought one, down to some models having rear wireless speakers which would keep everyone happy.

The LG SN11RG or Samsung HW-Q950T both seem to be pretty good systems that are going on decent discounts here at times, maybe overkill for what I actually want (honestly I'd just been looking at 5.1) but the ones with rear speakers but without Atmos or a bazillion seem to have disappeared from the market.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    You might get more responses in the TV thread. I asked not too long ago and I think the general consensus was that they are way better than TV speakers but not as good as a traditional 5.1 system. So if you can't hide wires along the baseboards or something, it may be the best option you have. If you already have rear surrounds, you could look at something like this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KM5T7AG). I'm not sure if you could get just wireless surrounds from someone, didn't see any come up when searching.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Would soundbar chat be welcome here, or is that more of a TV thread thing?

I was looking at home theatre sound system upgrades from our current HTiB but my better half vetoed running wires to rear speakers since there's a fairly major thoroughfare in front of the TV and we're hoping to move in a few years so harder to justify holes in the roof or walls.

It looks like soundbars have filled the niche that the dvd / blu-ray player and speaker combos were in last time I bought one, down to some models having rear wireless speakers which would keep everyone happy.

The LG SN11RG or Samsung HW-Q950T both seem to be pretty good systems that are going on decent discounts here at times, maybe overkill for what I actually want (honestly I'd just been looking at 5.1) but the ones with rear speakers but without Atmos or a bazillion seem to have disappeared from the market.

I just pulled the trigger on a Yamaha ATS2090 and I am pleasantly surprised with how well it sounds. Between the 3D Effect (which has more than once shocked me with a sound coming from behind me) and the wireless Subwoofer everything sounds great.

I'd you've got a Costco membership they've got a bunch of Vizio options but I can't vouch for them.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Thanks folks. Unfortunately there's no easy way to hide wiring where we have the TV set up.

It looks like new models are coming out now too so might just hope for an even deeper discount in the near future - as much as the new 11.1.4 Samsung would be nice I'm sure I could justify that much!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    I bought a Samsung soundbar with a wireless sub. Its just a stopgap solution for me until the new AV receivers come out this year, then it will be moved to my old TV now in my bedroom.

It seems... perfectly fine?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    We have a 40"ish Vizeo sound bar with wireless sub and rear speakers that wire into the sub. It was top rated like 6 years ago or something. It does pretty good! It isn't as amazing as dedicated $2000+ 5.1 setup but for like $250-$300 that we bought it for it does a bang up job. We have a long front room so not having to run a wire from the Sound bar all the way back to the sub and rear speakers is SUPER nice.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm in the market for a new home theater setup. My current space isn't very big and I'm not looking to run a lot of wire to a bunch of speakers.

The receiver I had my eye on was this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V685-7-2-Channel-Receiver-MusicCast/dp/B07BZZCHGN/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PBYC5DNOJHHV&dchild=1&keywords=yamaha+receiver&qid=1618072093&s=electronics&sprefix=yama,electronics,237&sr=1-1&th=1

I've been happy with my last Yamaha receiver, and I'm only replacing because it just doesn't have the hook ups I need anymore.

For speakers, given the limited space, I thought about going with a soundbar with bass and wireless satellite speakers to keep the wiring to a minimum.

This one was rated as a good budget version:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-5-1-2-channel-soundbar-system-with-6-wireless-subwoofer-and-dolby-atmos-black/6288824.p?skuId=6288824

However I've noticed it has a bunch Dolby Atmos and other features listed on it. But having all that functionality on the receiver, is there any reason I need that on the speakers?

Would something like this work just as well?
    https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Sound-Wireless-Subwoofer-SB3651ns-H6/dp/B08B11CBBC/ref=psdc_3237803011_t1_B08CGVTVMN

edited April 2021
    Be aware that that yamaha is a 2018 model and won't work with series x/s and... maybe... works with the PS5?

I'm waiting until the summer where onkyo and some others are releasing their first HDMI 2.1 receivers (they didn't do 2020 releases) and hoping they fix the HDMI bug that stops the 120hz pass through from working.

Edit: June or August for 2021 onkyo and pioneer recievers

https://www.cnet.com/news/onkyo-and-pioneers-2021-receivers-back-in-black-with-8k-video/

Burtletoy on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Soundbar's usually have receiver processing in them so they can be used solo with your TV. Maybe @Shadowfire can help here. If you're going AVR with "fake" 5.1/7.1, I'm not sure a soundbar is the best option. I did see wireless devices that would turn normal speakers into wireless surrounds.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I've set up at least a dozen of those receivers. They're great! As far as I'm concerned, if you're buying a receiver you either go for Yamaha, or step up to Marantz.

Now all that said, Burtleboy is right. That's an older receiver that's not going to work as well with the 4k-hdr pass through, and certainly not for 4k/60-120. And so far Yamaha hasn't updated their newer receivers to support HDMI 2.1 properly, so you're looking Denon or Onkyo. Not ideal, but that's where we're at right now. And for high end like that you're spending high end dollars. The least expensive one I've seen is the AVR-S960H, but I don't have any personal experience with them so I can't vouch. Reviews look good though!

Now after all of that.. if you're looking at receivers, you're out of the soundbar realm. Soundbars have their own amps and processing like Trajan45 mentioned, aside from a small handful of passive soundbars that I really can't recommend. Getting a soundbar isn't a bad thing, especially if space is a concern. Those Vizio soundbars are inexpensive and they're sure as hell better than TV speakers. Honestly? They're totally fine, adequate even! If you're on a budget I would recommend them. If you have room in your budget there's some real nice steps up, but it all depends on you.

Edit: holy shit that was some rambling.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    For me, going off wireless speakers, plus the budget you posted of ~500 for receiver and ~500 for soundbar, I would probably just go for once of those ~1000 soundbars, like the Sonos Arc or the Vizio Elevate. No experience with either, but they were highly rated all around when I was looking a few months back

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonos-arc-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-google-assistant-and-amazon-alexa-black/6411132.p?skuId=6411132

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-elevate-5-1-4-channel-soundbar-with-wireless-subwoofer-and-rotating-speakers-for-dolby-atmos-dtsx-charcoal-gray/6420000.p?skuId=6420000

I have the Sonos Playbar which is the previous version of the Arc. No Atmos, but same idea. A really nice soundbar with the ability to add a sub and rear speakers to make a 5.1 system, plus Sonos' superior software so you can tie it all together with an app that gives you access to your music library pretty much wherever it is. Sonos is kind of a lifestyle brand, and it's one of those things where you don't understand why it's so expensive until you actually use it.

The Arc is pricey at $800. It sounds fucking great though, and whatever wizardry they've got going on to make the Atmos work without speakers physically in the ceiling is kind of amazing. If you do go that route and you want to save a little money elsewhere, IKEA sells a set of speakers that was designed with Sonos that are half the price of their Sonos Ones. These would handle the surround, so at least that would save you $200 off the whole system. You can also get a used Sub in the $450-600 range which doesn't sound like a lot of savings, but they're some of the sturdiest smarthome equipment you'll ever use.

The Vizio.. alright. I hate Vizio. Like, really hate them. That Elevate system is getting pretty good reviews, and their cheap soundbars are a great bargain. But $800 for anything with that badge on it, especially one with moving parts? Nah, I'm out.

Yeah probably true... but sometimes I like gimmicks!

Burtletoy wrote: »
    Yeah probably true... but sometimes I like gimmicks!

Gimmicks are cool! But moving parts are something to break, especially on something you're hoping lasts a good few years, and Vizio's track record is real bad.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the receiver info. Things seem kind of complicated with that stuff right now.

As far as the soundbar goes I was mostly looking at it since it was low profile (I don't have a lot of room for speakers on my current TV stand) and kind of all in one.

So if I were to go with the Denon AVR-S960H for instance, would something like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Blackstone-TL1600-Compact/dp/B0043M666S/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=5.1+speaker+set+with+subwoofer&qid=1618197911&sr=8-6&th=1

And this for the surround speakers:
    https://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-Wireless-Home-Theater-Speaker/dp/B07KSGYFX3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1L36DOCRH1A5D&dchild=1&keywords=wireless+speaker+kit+for+surround+speakers&qid=1618197988&sprefix=wireless+speaker+,aps,234&sr=8-3

Would that be a better idea than a sound bar?

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I have the Sonos Playbar which is the previous version of the Arc. No Atmos, but same idea. A really nice soundbar with the ability to add a sub and rear speakers to make a 5.1 system, plus Sonos' superior software so you can tie it all together with an app that gives you access to your music library pretty much wherever it is. Sonos is kind of a lifestyle brand, and it's one of those things where you don't understand why it's so expensive until you actually use it.

The Arc is pricey at $800. It sounds fucking great though, and whatever wizardry they've got going on to make the Atmos work without speakers physically in the ceiling is kind of amazing. If you do go that route and you want to save a little money elsewhere, IKEA sells a set of speakers that was designed with Sonos that are half the price of their Sonos Ones. These would handle the surround, so at least that would save you $200 off the whole system. You can also get a used Sub in the $450-600 range which doesn't sound like a lot of savings, but they're some of the sturdiest smarthome equipment you'll ever use.

The Vizio.. alright. I hate Vizio. Like, really hate them. That Elevate system is getting pretty good reviews, and their cheap soundbars are a great bargain. But $800 for anything with that badge on it, especially one with moving parts? Nah, I'm out.

Yep, I got an arc earlier this year - really nice piece of equipment, and very easy to deal with/control. Really fills up the room. Waiting for a sale on sub/speakers to augment, but in no hurry.

Denon and Marantz are the same company, FYI. If you see one of either in the price range you are looking for, check the other to see which features you want more. A Marantz at a given price might have a little more wattage per channel while the Denon has more HDMI inputs or vise versa.

Also, most of every manufacturer's inventory is super low thanks to the chip shortage. If you can't find what you want and aren't willing to look for alternatives you're going to have to wait for a long time.

schuss wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Yep, I got an arc earlier this year - really nice piece of equipment, and very easy to deal with/control. Really fills up the room. Waiting for a sale on sub/speakers to augment, but in no hurry.

Those ikea speakers are great, sound almost the same as the One, and half the price. Saving on the sub is hard, but those surrounds are a good deal.

I've been tempted on the Arc for a while. I can get a decent deal on it through work, and sell the playbar we have, but I also don't have any ports available on my TV.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So, I can get the Shure SRH1540 headphones for a hefty discount through work, as "work equipment". I've been thinking about getting some good-quality headphones to use at home - any strong thoughts about those, one way or the other?

Some reviews say the bass isn't its strong suite, but I'm not exactly the target audience for audiophile reviews.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    So, I can get the Shure SRH1540 headphones for a hefty discount through work, as "work equipment". I've been thinking about getting some good-quality headphones to use at home - any strong thoughts about those, one way or the other?

Some reviews say the bass isn't its strong suite, but I'm not exactly the target audience for audiophile reviews.

They seem to be excellent studio headphones, which means they wont be thumpy. The bass will be balanced with everything else. Do you have a good DAC/Amp to pair them with?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981