As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »
    What is considered okay damage? I've noticed in games that result in a streamrolling I only tend to do 100-200 damage, depending on how quickly the firing line dissolved.

Depends on what you’re piloting really. What mech are you normally running and what is it equipped with?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What is considered okay damage? I've noticed in games that result in a streamrolling I only tend to do 100-200 damage, depending on how quickly the firing line dissolved.
    I mean that's kind of a weird and hard question to answer because there's a lot of context at play.
    - Amount of each mech class on the enemy team determines overall "HP" available to damage
    - Killing people at their flank / back is less damage than just trying to take down their front central torso
    - Some IS mechs die when losing a side torso so that's less damage done to the target to kill them
    - If you're an LRM boat, sometimes it's not so much about the damage and making people change their position or not be in a firefight to avoid your missiles, so while you aren't getting damage, you're still having a big impact
    - Same with super-ranged weapons like PPCs and ACs for the above if you're sniping

etc etc etc

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I cannot get out of Tier 3... I seem to always have the perfect balance of getting good times and getting teams who just scatter and only bring LRM. I really want to like this game, but fuck this is getting frustrating.

It doesn't help that there is the weekend event (streamers) so you might be going up against big groups that are coordinated and you're on the PUG side. Not to mention the end of the February month event. Honestly I wouldn't worry about Tiers at all since it doesn't matter if you are in the top 2 tiers or the bottom 2. I'm pretty sure that Tier 3 has you grouping up with all of them (or everything but Tier 5, I can't remember). I would focus on just earning C-Bills or getting the event parts done over worrying about going up in Tiers.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Eyyyyyyy, Kay just killed B33f on stream and got the warhorn. :D
    Of course, the round right after I stop playing!

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    First time I drop with a streamer, it's B33F on the other side.

So I chased him down in my Huntsman and SRMed him. Bugle time!

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Mechwarrior Online(tm)
    7bx7gu2m4c53.jpg

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I don't see how that wouldn't happen in the same game with lower TTK? Now said focused damage takes even less time to kill the target and the snowball happens faster.

Look at CoD. People win 1v3+ quite frequently. TTK is often under a second there. The lower the TTK the lower the advantage is from having more people focusing fire.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    sjgk6jstqyd5.jpg

My luck finally turned. Everyone in this match seemed to enjoy walking into my UAC 20s at close range.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Uh, I just logged into the game, and I am missing like... half the mechs I owned.

• Options
    Okay I closed the client and loaded back in. They're back. Jesus jumped up Christ I was freaking out.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    I don't see how that wouldn't happen in the same game with lower TTK? Now said focused damage takes even less time to kill the target and the snowball happens faster.

Look at CoD. People win 1v3+ quite frequently. TTK is often under a second there. The lower the TTK the lower the advantage is from having more people focusing fire.
    You think the same would be true if the average movement speed in CoD were 2-3kmh and you had to expose yourself for a solid second before your barrel cleared your cover?

• Options
    I managed to almost finish the event in about 3.5 hours of playing, holy crap. I'm at 23/30 for the last reward claim. I can finish it tomorrow probably.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    It got immediately overshadowed by Kay's streamer kill last night, but I finished the event and went "fuck it, let's take the zero ECM, all pulse laser Flea and mess around with it" and... I think I'm starting to get it.

First couple of matches I was being an annoying little shit, getting under people's feet when our lance engaged them and eating their legs from under them, then in a Tourmaline match it all clicked as I nibbled at mechs' backsides while they were busy with our team, then when I was the only one left I managed to take 3 more of them down before they finally legged and blew me up.

Of course, the universe then put me back in my place the very next match when I walked around the corner and ate a quad LBX shot to the face from an assault who was having none of it. Like a small fireworks display. My own fault entirely, I knew he was there.

Glal on
  • Options
    Oh yeah.

Full match from the VoD here - starts 1 hour in.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/932239414?t=1h0m16s

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    Oh yeah.

Full match from the VoD here - starts 1 hour in.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/932239414?t=1h0m16s

Ahhh, I was wondering why @Glal posted that weird screenshot. So I take it you killed him after he DC'd. Good for you! Way to hunt like a true Oosik.

I also didn't realize that this event was kill a streamer and get a warhorn till yesterday. I would have been try hard and pushing to find one instead of just goofing off and getting my Kills/KMDDs with Lights like I normally do. No wonder there were even fewer Lights than normal. I do love the HGauss instead of the AC20 on the BH2. Now I need to go redo that mech for that build.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Actually Kay killed him legit, I just posted the screenshot from a later match because the game crashing during a promotional event/stream is the most PGI thing.

• Options
    How dare! I blew him up fair and square. And made him say 'ow' a few times.

Still not sure why he didn't move earlier when I had such a good angle on the side torso with his HGR.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Kay wrote: »
    How dare! I blew him up fair and square. And made him say 'ow' a few times.

Still not sure why he didn't move earlier when I had such a good angle on the side torso with his HGR.

Ahh, I didn't have the audio on since I'm at work. I only saw him poking out and shooting then the crash. What did make me smile is seeing how he kept on pinging the map to have everybody converge on that push yet his team was spread thin and going all over the place.
    Actually Kay killed him legit, I just posted the screenshot from a later match because the game crashing during a promotional event/stream is the most PGI thing.
    Oddly I can count on one hand how many times I have had MWO crash playing it since the beta. No idea why so many people say it crashes like crazy. Could it be that I have magical setups since launch or that I only use the stand alone client, and at the most have Discord and a browser open at the same time? I only play MWO in windowed mode as well, so maybe that's it?

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I don't think MWO ever crashed on me, but it's definitely happening in the wild.

It's fair to say that CryEngine is "Unpredictably Stable or Unstable" by most metrics. I've had other CryEngine games randomly crap out on me, or just run fine. It's kinda maddening.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I’ve had MWO crash a couple of times, but I’ve never been able to confirm a specific cause.

I haven’t seen the heat bug in a while either /knocks wood

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've had it crash on me several times in the past. I mean, the majority of the matches I was in, there would be at least one person disconnecting right at the get-go. Now, whether that was due to a crash or them hating the map/mode we landed on, we'll never know. But I have a feeling if even half of those were crashes, that's still far too frequent than should be expected.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I've had it crash before but it's been a long time since it last did.

That bug I ran into last night with the missing mechs is apparently a long-known thing that just happens sometimes. Some folks in my chat were talking about it, one of them having been a player since beta and ran into it for the first time I think sometime last year.

I bought 20 mech bays last night because they're on sale and that's THE time to be spending MC on them. 59 bays. Yes I could buy another 10 for the meme but I dunno if I wanna. Maybe I should.

As an aside thanks to anyone here who was watching my streams at least from time to time, I made affiliate last night.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Henroid wrote: »

That bug I ran into last night with the missing mechs is apparently a long-known thing that just happens sometimes. Some folks in my chat were talking about it, one of them having been a player since beta and ran into it for the first time I think sometime last year.

I bought 20 mech bays last night because they're on sale and that's THE time to be spending MC on them. 59 bays. Yes I could buy another 10 for the meme but I dunno if I wanna. Maybe I should.

As an aside thanks to anyone here who was watching my streams at least from time to time, I made affiliate last night.

When do you get to start taking subs?

...you know what that sounds questionable as fuck but I'm just gonna leave it.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular

Congrats on the stream stuff! I had the missing mechs bug like, a week or two ago, it scared this shit out of me. Thanks for the heads up on bays... gonna grab a couple... I also realized I qualified for one of the player rewards "you spent money once" things (I didn't even realize that existed, I just stumbled into it looking for something else on my account) so I grabbed a free K9 off that.

• Options
    RawrBear wrote: »

Congrats on the stream stuff! I had the missing mechs bug like, a week or two ago, it scared this shit out of me. Thanks for the heads up on bays... gonna grab a couple... I also realized I qualified for one of the player rewards "you spent money once" things (I didn't even realize that existed, I just stumbled into it looking for something else on my account) so I grabbed a free K9 off that.

The K9 is a crazy mech that can carry 5Medium Pulse Lasers.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

I thought that was locked by January 1st!

K-9 was a good choice (IMO: K-9>Grinner>Purifier>Shard/Cipher)

• Options
    By the way, as far as goofy armor allocations go, last night in one of my matches I was in my Bushwacker running around the start of Solaris City. I ran into a Thor or Thunderbolt (forgot which) that was on a weird flank path. I hit it like three times with my four MPLs, and it fucking blew up. Dead. It was just me shooting it.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

I thought that was locked by January 1st!

K-9 was a good choice (IMO: K-9>Grinner>Purifier>Shard/Cipher)

The notes on it say it was locked (but I pushed the *give me stuff* button and it added to my account so... I guess not?). I already own a purifier and 5x pulses on *secretly* a medium seemed like a good mech for when I need to play a light for an event lol.

This King crab is still good lol. Just had a 1088 damage game with 2 solos and 5kmmds. The game before that I only did like 474, but I hung out in the back on canyon to play 100 ton squirrel. Four folks decided they wanted the free isolated assault and I traded for two of em. Granted this last game I got greedy and chose not to torso twist up top on HPG and got cored out from behind.... but that one's on me for being greedy.

I really want to cut the engine a bit and jam missiles in the shoulder but it's just too hot as soon as I do that.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Grats Henroid. You are a good streamer who pays attention and goes above and beyond to answer dumb newbie questions. Well deserved imo.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Picked a good match last night to get the remaining 2 of my KOs / KMDDs for the event:
    7EAFEFAEADBFC698735254E5D82976753635C354

529C315B033AC29F557ACE2BC41EC05427834555

Running the dual-Gauss Stealth-Armored Thanatos, and the enemy was pretty content to just shoot at my team mates and let me reap arms and stuff. We were on Grim Plexus Conquest, and there was just a huge line fight happening in the frozen lake in the middle of the map. I was posted up in the city above it, and would poke small but important holes in any enemy as soon as they came out to engage my team.

Best kill, though, was when the fight had swung around a bit as the enemy retreated to our left (nearer to me) and I had repositioned into the area looking at Epsilon where the two buildings with a small alley between them look down into the road / tank farm. An enemy heavy charged up the hill, and I backed into the alley between the two buildings. He turned, looked at me, and then ... kept moving. I waited a few seconds for him to pop around the corner and unload on me, and then he ... didn't. So I came out, and found him at the corner of the building shooting at long-range against my team who was moving up, and starting to back up. So I sat on his ass, stopping him in place, so he gave up trying to back up and decided to move forward instead, circling the building. So I just followed along, shooting him repeatedly in the butt until he asploded.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Picked a good match last night to get the remaining 2 of my KOs / KMDDs for the event:
    7EAFEFAEADBFC698735254E5D82976753635C354

529C315B033AC29F557ACE2BC41EC05427834555

Running the dual-Gauss Stealth-Armored Thanatos, and the enemy was pretty content to just shoot at my team mates and let me reap arms and stuff. We were on Grim Plexus Conquest, and there was just a huge line fight happening in the frozen lake in the middle of the map. I was posted up in the city above it, and would poke small but important holes in any enemy as soon as they came out to engage my team.

Best kill, though, was when the fight had swung around a bit as the enemy retreated to our left (nearer to me) and I had repositioned into the area looking at Epsilon where the two buildings with a small alley between them look down into the road / tank farm. An enemy heavy charged up the hill, and I backed into the alley between the two buildings. He turned, looked at me, and then ... kept moving. I waited a few seconds for him to pop around the corner and unload on me, and then he ... didn't. So I came out, and found him at the corner of the building shooting at long-range against my team who was moving up, and starting to back up. So I sat on his ass, stopping him in place, so he gave up trying to back up and decided to move forward instead, circling the building. So I just followed along, shooting him repeatedly in the butt until he asploded.

I'd like to imagine he was shouting at his team for standing behind him and blocking him the whole time.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So I just followed along, shooting him repeatedly in the butt until he assploded.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Picked up 10 mech bays during the sale. Trying to grind for cbills to actually do something with them while I have the premium time. Did get a Cataphract 1X and Ebon Jag A during the Heavy sale, I had been seeing them on the battlefield and they looked interesting, but I currently cannot get a win with either.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Picked up 10 mech bays during the sale. Trying to grind for cbills to actually do something with them while I have the premium time. Did get a Cataphract 1X and Ebon Jag A during the Heavy sale, I had been seeing them on the battlefield and they looked interesting, but I currently cannot get a win with either.

I could never get either of those two to work either. The ebon jag has to be my second to worst performance mechs. I've tried a bunch of builds with it too. Brawler, sniper, UAC builds, it really doesn't matter. I either suck at it or get focus fired in it since it is recognizable. Can't really tell since @Erlkönig can make it look like the best mech ever with any build.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    EBJ tends to work best as lasvom but it’s very squishy

CTF is an odd duck, all your mounts are pretty much ankle height so you can’t ridge peek, but you have substantial defensive quirks. Pretty much have to brawl with it.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    The two 'Mechs I tend to come out of my torpor with are either an EBJ or a Hellbringer, and they both mount some iteration of UAC/10 and a brace of ERMLs.

It's definitely a second-line poking build. In either 'Mech, you'd really prefer to be peeking just around another more-threatening teammate to draw fire off you while you drill holes in things.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Now that I can look at mechdb, I think I’d go HGR, 5xML, LFE, ES, 280 std on the CTF-1X

Can get 6 tons of ammo for the HGR (probably way too much), two extra DHS and a TC1.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Switched the CFT from a heavy PPC and small lasers backing up the LBX20 to a snub nose PPC and ERMLs with the 20.

• Options
    Okay on desktop, so EBJs:

The meta EBJ build is this: EBJ-A. It runs 2xLPL, 6xERML, can be built on any EBJ variant, and is a pretty solid second line mech.

The -A has an alternate build that goes off of its So8 quirks: EBJ-A. UAC/20, UAC/10, 4xERSL. An 80 pt alpha after doubletap is a very respectable way to say "do not touch."

The EBJ is very moddable though, since it has a lot of room and functional hardpoints. The only "problem" hardpoints are the ones that create side torso gun pods "ears" (I'll note that both of the aforementioned builds do use this on the EBJ-A for the left torso).

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Okay on desktop, so EBJs:

The meta EBJ build is this: EBJ-A. It runs 2xLPL, 6xERML, can be built on any EBJ variant, and is a pretty solid second line mech.

The -A has an alternate build that goes off of its So8 quirks: EBJ-A. UAC/20, UAC/10, 4xERSL. An 80 pt alpha after doubletap is a very respectable way to say "do not touch."

The EBJ is very moddable though, since it has a lot of room and functional hardpoints. The only "problem" hardpoints are the ones that create side torso gun pods "ears" (I'll note that both of the aforementioned builds do use this on the EBJ-A for the left torso).

Hey, I think I run that second build... It looks familiar at least. I also used to run Erl's Gauss+ERPPC sniping build for a while till I got tired of trying to hit things from long distances.

oosik_betsuni.png