As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Face Time

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Face Time

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    This technology has officially become "sufficiently advanced."

Exhibit A:

(If you click on that link, it should take you to a whole bunch of that sort of thing.)

dennis on
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I guess we need to go full circle and have it animate Tycho's face from a strip.

edited March 2021
    Handkor wrote: »
    I guess we need to go full circle and have it animate Tycho's face from a strip.

While a marvelous idea, I tried a few and it's pretty convinced G&T aren't human.

(I even tried the Perhaps Too Real version.)

Edit: Though I did do this, which should probably earn me a lifetime ban:

jerry.gif

dennis on
  • PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    Tried giving it some of my drawings of people. It either said there weren't any faces, or crashed with an unspecified error.

I'm insulted.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm no luddite but this stuff all still looks extremely cursed to me. I've typed up and deleted a few descriptions of what it looks like, because they end up describing exactly what it is: fixed features sliding around on a plane.

I know it's a stepping stone to better tech but for me it's still squarely in the uncanny valley.

edited March 2021
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm no luddite but this stuff all still looks extremely cursed to me. I've typed up and deleted a few descriptions of what it looks like, because they end up describing exactly what it is: fixed features sliding around on a plane.

I know it's a stepping stone to better tech but for me it's still squarely in the uncanny valley.

It actually worked staggeringly well with Jerry. But that's because - apart from the glasses - he's basically the model for "human head" they include in 3d engines.

dennis on
  • SadgrinnerSadgrinner Registered User new member
    Word-sons borne of language itself... Kill your darlings, Tycho!

FYI, here's the video mentioned in the blog post:

https://youtu.be/khfHro1aVbc

That winking "e"...

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Did he try and have it read the necronomicon or something?

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Did he try and have it read the necronomicon or something?

Oddly, no. it was this beer bottle. The algorithm ignores the mask face and imagines one in the text.
    kb0b86ak0ciz.png