As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    The South doesn't even consider Virginia southern, especially not now that we're a Blue State

it's complicated

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    When you get down to it, "The South" is wherever the lost cause is alive and well.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    When you get down to it, "The South" is wherever the lost cause is alive and well.

Case in point, Neo-Confederate musician/asshole Jon Schaffer that got his picture in the news during the Capitol Riot is from North-Central Indiana.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Case in point, Neo-Confederate musician/asshole Jon Schaffer that got his picture in the news during the Capitol Riot is from North-Central Indiana.

Steve King (former Iowa Representative) too.

Whose district was on the Northwestern edge of that state.

Republicanism, the last significant bastion of white supremacy, populated by racists, cowards and morons.

Bet Abe would be proud... no, the other thing... outraged.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    The VA House and Senate have both voted to pass Danica Roem's HB 2132, eliminating the validity of the Gay/Trans Panic Defense in assault and murder cases.

source is Danica Roem's FB page, i don't see any new articles about it yet

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    The VA House and Senate have both voted to pass Danica Roem's HB 2132, eliminating the validity of the Gay/Trans Panic Defense in assault and murder cases.

source is Danica Roem's FB page, i don't see any new articles about it yet

5 states down, 45 to go.

It is absolutely ridiculous that "gay/trans panic" is considered an ethical defense, and that fact is an indictment of the legal profession.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    What does that even mean? Is it "oh I was scared they were gay so I shot them"?

ChaosHat wrote: »
    What does that even mean? Is it "oh I was scared they were gay so I shot them"?

basically yes

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    because of all those roving bands of unruly gays out to try and make sex motions with straight men against their will

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    because of all those roving bands of unruly gays out to try and make sex motions with straight men against their will

Yeah, it's in the same category as "whacking" (a.k.a. the "not guilty of rape because the victim is a lying slut" defense.) It's putting the victim on trial in order to justify the indefensible, and it's these sorts of defenses that give defense lawyers a bad name.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Also the General Assembly just approved legislation to end May municipal elections and have all elections together in November. Since odd election timings are done specifically to suppress and control turnout, good. Just need the governor to sign it.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Northam better sign that bill because those elections are fucking bullshit. I'm trying to even remember if I did vote in the Chesapeake one because of both last year being a shit show and the fact that there was fuck all in the way of an indication that such an election was even happening. Also why all the fuckers that go "but local elections will be overshadowed by the state and national elections," can fuck right off. Most localities do jack shit to advertise they are having elections and some of that is on the press as well because the press has decided local matters aren't worth covering half the time. I'd wager it's intentional as well because they know if more people participate, a ton of shit head republicans and conservative elected officials would be sent packing. They only get in because the vote is suppressed by picking a half assed time to run an election and then making zero effort above the law to tell people it's even happening.

Also the GA has passed a state VRA.

edited February 2021

per Virginia Public Media (PBS), we've passed the bill removing the naming of Jefferson-David Highway from Route 1 throughout the state

localities that don't come up with a new name will have it changed to Emancipation Highway as of Jan 1, 2022

the Jefferson-Davis Highway was one of the crowning achievements of the Daughters of the Confederacy and the Lost Cause and i am happy they can go fuck themselves on that one, at least in my state

Chanus on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I hope they put some restrictions on allowed replacement names in the bill. There are plenty of other traitors available for racists to use instead of Jefferson Davis.

steam_sig.png
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I hope they put some restrictions on allowed replacement names in the bill. There are plenty of other traitors available for racists to use instead of Jefferson Davis.

the text of the bill doesn't say much

not sure if there is a DoT approvals process or something similar normally

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

the text of the bill doesn't say much

not sure if there is a DoT approvals process or something similar normally

Emancipation Highway regularly changing to Trump Highway and Bedford-Forrest Highway and back again just to drive home the “don’t stop here” vibe.

it is kind of the thing where your choice now is whether or not to let everyone know you're a giant asshole

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    it is kind of the thing where your choice now is whether or not to let everyone know you're a giant asshole

Problem is, that's not a disqualifying factor in some areas. Heck, it got their last guy elected, and way too close for comfort the second time around.

These people have been stanning for the Confederacy for their entire lives. Being called an asshole is a badge of pride for them.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    wrong thread!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Virginia Legislature Votes To Legalize Marijuana
    Weeks after both houses of the Virginia General Assembly approved separate bills to legalize the simple possession and sale of marijuana, reconciliation of the two chambers’ bills came down to the wire on Saturday, at the end of the legislature’s session.

The Virginia House approved the compromise version 48-43 and the Senate voted for it 20-19.

Not a single Republican voted for the bill in either chamber.

Negotiators from the Virginia House and Senate were still working Friday night to iron out disagreements over a potential state voter referendum on the issue and timing of legalization, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reports.

The bill creates the Virginia Cannabis Control Authority, which would regulate cultivation, production and sale of weed. It ends criminal penalties for simple possession of marijuana. It also automatically expunges certain cannabis-related offenses from people’s records by July 1, 2026, and it preferences people and communities who have been previously impacted by marijuana enforcement for licensing of marijuana businesses.

The legalization bill won’t go into effect until 2024.

Its a first step. Though they shouldn't take 5 years to expunge records and legalize. Colorado did the latter in a few months.

u7stthr17eud.png
    pushing it to 2024 is absolute bullshit

edited March 2021
    I think part of the reason why was to allow time for infrastructure to build around programs to help set up those businesses and help meet the regulations needed.

It's definitely bullshit that people can't get released/expunged now for something we are saying will be A-OK in 3 years.

Honestly, I was expecting everything to be 100% ABC stores, I think we came out ahead on that prospect of commercial sale.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I'm assuming the slow speed is because the assembly is only in session for like 2 months out of the year, so if there's details left to iron out then we're already waiting til 2022 just to have the law in writing.

i would be okay with commercial availability and regulation completed by 2024 if it is decriminalized now and people start having their sentences overturned and records expunged now

It is decriminalized already isn't it?

my fault for using a protected term

decriminalization happened last summer but there's still a small civil penalty for being caught with it

i want to see no legal ramifications at all

decriminalization happened last summer but there's still a small civil penalty for being caught with it

I wasn't aware that was the case, so this was still helpful. I thought it was no penalties for possession under a certain amount.

I wasn't aware that was the case, so this was still helpful. I thought it was no penalties for possession under a certain amount.

It's like a 25$ fine for under an ounce. Local cops I have interacted with hate spending their time on weed and this is the excuse they have been wanting to just ignore it completely.

steam_sig.png

it's a $25 fine if you have up to an ounce

above that i don't see where the legal penalty has changed

$25 civil penalty is basically nothing but it also is not nothing, and i don't think that's good enough

it's a $25 fine if you have up to an ounce

above that i don't see where the legal penalty has changed

$25 civil penalty is basically nothing but it also is not nothing, and i don't think that's good enough

Yeah I agree, thanks for the correction. It really seems like they could have put "penalty is now zero while we wait for full legalization."

Metro 2022 budget survey

Folks who live in NoVA please go fill out and read the 2022 metro survey. It affects service heavily in the Northern Virginia area including closing stations, reduction of service (30 minute intervals even on weekdays), and reduction the Yellow Line a lot. Please provide feedback. Metro is one of the better (and terrible) things about living in this area and as climate change is an issue and most of us will be going back to work by 2022 we should push the board to keep these stations open.

Also luckily the 1.9 trillion relief package Congress is passing will help with this. But Metro needs to hear from us.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    I guess we're voting again already? Just got a mailer for a Lt Gov candidate for the primary, which is apparently June 8.

Fry wrote: »
    I guess we're voting again already? Just got a mailer for a Lt Gov candidate for the primary, which is apparently June 8.

every year, baby!

please make it stop

Northam apparently endorsed someone not named Herring for Atty General, which is spicy

Fry wrote: »

I have started getting emails and text after volunteering for the last few years.

I need to dig through the candidates. I have no idea who to vote for in the primary yet.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Jennifer McClellan for governor is the only one i know so far

she's a baller in the legislature and would be the first black woman governor in any state in the US

Hey, on the upside, they finally killed the bullshit that is May elections that some of us had to deal with. Sad, I didn't take the chance to shit all over Mayor West on his twitter account when he bemoaned that it took attention away from local elections, by pointing out that he and his ilk do fuck all to inform people that are happening. Also think the fucker that had the audacity to blurt at that May election ensure that "only the right people vote" was also winning. Would have been fun to call that one out for her shit.

Now if we could just sink our state elections with federal ones. I'm not looking forward to three fucking years of state delegate elections because people are pretty sure that's what's going to happen with the census stuff being delayed.

looks like Northam is in board with the "hey dummy, if you're going to legalize it, just legalize it" sentiment. new date would be July 1 this year if our House and Senate adopt the amendment
    Gov. Ralph Northam is moving on Wednesday to speed up marijuana legalization in Virginia, backing changes to the legislation that would do away with penalties for possession of an ounce effective this summer.

(Richmond Times-Dispatch is a local newspaper with a shitty editorial board but still reports the news accurately a lot of the time)

I wish I could say that this would finally settle matters because I want to say that if the VA legislature does pass said amendment, probably at a point where states representing over 50 percent of the US population, have legalized marijuana use. Only issue is that the GOP probably keeps any such repeal from clearing the US Senate and it they probably get backing from the likes of Manchin, while Rand Paul will find some bullshit excuse to suddenly be opposed to the idea.

Regardless, I do hope the state legislature passes that amendment because it's really dumb to send people to jail for using marijuana when it's likely no worse than alcohol or tobacco use. Just wondering how much money that is going to save the state in legal related fees because that's a large number of people no longer being send to jail because marijuana was found on them. Probably frees up resources in the court system to deal with matters that actual warrant it's attention.

Then if this gets properly legalized, we'll get a fair bit of tax revenue from marijuana use. Given that apparently the state was able to achieve a windfall in 2019 and seems to be relatively good financial shape despite covid. A combination of less people going to jail for racist reasons and the tax revenue really opens up some options for the state. I hope instead of a tax rebate, they instead up to use that windfall to better fight climate change. Education and job training are also big issues. Hell, both more or less cover parts of infrastructure that is in dire need of upgrades and maintenance. Hell, maybe they can do away with a ton of the bullshit toll roads and bridges. Yes, I think people should drive less, but the tolling industry is a fucking blight that should not be utilized ever.

Anyways, the political scene is going to be clusterfuck as far as elections go. As I mentioned, we probably get three years of elections for the house of delegates because odd year elections are really fucking dumb. The only silver lining is that this probably doesn't help the GOP because even as fuck up as the non-citizen controlled, citizen districting panel is. I want to say it's bound by the same law that the legislature passed last year that prevent gerrymandering, only question is if this goes to our shitty state supreme court, if that court too is bound by that law. I don't think population changes really help the GOP because last time I looked, there is an indication that most of the GOP strongholds are bleeding out population losses, while the states population growth and migration has on concentrated on urban and suburban areas. Worse case scenario, it ends up being a wash for democrats because as things get denser for their strongholds in the Virginia crescent, that results in them losing some seats that are in areas that aren't the crescent. For those outside the state, the crescent is pretty much NoVa and it exurbs, Richmond and it's exurbs and finally, the Hampton Roads and it's exurbs. I also want to say that setup actually makes it harder for the GOP to gerrymander things in their favor. Not only does it make it hard to avoid racial gerrymanders, but the rural parts of the state just aren't setup in a way that makes it easy to pull the bullshit that Wisconsin did. Hell, the peninsula really doesn't give the GOP much o work with, only a bit of it is really red and that is the bit that has seen population decline thanks to global warming, the rest is decently blue. That only really leaves the western part of the state and the bigger red counties aren't exactly slowly becoming purple, some of them are shifting relatively fast, partly because I'd argue the whole crescent thing on top of an ocean being to the east, means the exurbs for the three big population centers are going to rapidly increase as costs force people further from those areas. Not to mention, we're probably already to a point where some of those exurbs are seeing growth from not just the primary population center that made them into an exurb, but also growth from the next nearest population center. For example, I think at this point, Spotsylvania county is pretty much housing workers for both NoVa and Richmond.

The other big cluster fuck is going to be the GOP convention to pick their candidates for governor, no mention if this is the same process for the other two statewide races. The basic gist is that the GOP has really doubled down on fuck awful ideas. First it's a convention, so that only excludes people. Next, areas that tend to pick republicans, get more clout in whoever gets picked, even if they have a far smaller population than other areas (aka our dipshit republicans really doubling down on the idea that their party represents total landmass, rather than actual population. The only redeeming thing about it is that it uses ranked choice voting. Regardless, even with rank choice voting, you can see how this process is rig to pick the most extreme candidate that the most extreme parts of the state want. Also Blue Virginia has a breakdown of it, if my giant wall of text didn't a poor job of conveying how it works because to be fair, it's a pretty half-ass process. https://bluevirginia.us/2021/03/the-va-gop-could-have-gone-with-a-primary-instead-they-opted-for-this-convoluted-nomination-process