As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam]-heim. Valhalla has no backlogs.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Hevach wrote: »
    Why does every good thing have to be either made or taken over by nazis, pedophiles, and/or rapists?

Milkshake ducks are gonna milkshake duck.

More seriously though, it wouldn't surprise me if there's some link between people able to come up with creative ideas and try and eke out a living out of them instead of more stable career options in society at large and people susceptible to fringe beliefs and actions not condoned by society at large. We've definitely had influential speculative fiction authors from past centuries who've created monstrous beings in their stories that turned out to be inspired by their racist beliefs.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Why does every good thing have to be either made or taken over by nazis, pedophiles, and/or rapists?

More seriously though, it wouldn't surprise me if there's some link between people able to come up with creative ideas and try and eke out a living out of them instead of more stable career options in society at large and people susceptible to fringe beliefs and actions not condoned by society at large. We've definitely had influential speculative fiction authors from past centuries who've created monstrous beings in their stories that turned out to be inspired by their racist beliefs.

As a creative person who isn't a horrible person, I'm going to say that while it may contribute, it's far more likely that it's actually related to a desire for power that anyone can have, but which is particularly encouraged by the structure of unequal societal hierarchies such as authoritarianism . . . and being a CEO. But I repeat myself. :wink:

I'm sort of stuck on not playing any of the three games I've been playing because of lack of energy for the past three days, which isn't helped. Gonna see if I can hit one of them, as I'm closing in on done with Fenyx, and I'm near the end of the base game in Origins.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

That makes me think the industry is currently filled with degenerates but they just haven't been discovered and caught yet.

emnmnme wrote: »

That makes me think the industry is currently filled with degenerates but they just haven't been discovered and caught yet.

Potentially, yes.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Potentially, yes.

... that's paranoid.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

As a creative person who isn't a horrible person, I'm going to say that while it may contribute, it's far more likely that it's actually related to a desire for power that anyone can have, but which is particularly encouraged by the structure of unequal societal hierarchies such as authoritarianism . . . and being a CEO. But I repeat myself. :wink:

There have been a lot of degenerates in entertainment industries that aren't in positions of structural power. They just tend not to be able to do the same degree of harm ones with more influence can.

That said, the sheer size of some of these industries is one of the biggest things that lets the degenerates be there and get outed now. The barrier to entry for the video games industry is tremendously lower than it used to be after all. I think it would be like the link between intelligence/creativity and mental illness: There is one documented but it's a case just a higher rate of incidence than in the general population, not every genius and creative being afflicted.

Potentially, yes.

... that's paranoid.

That sounds like something a degenerate would say . . .

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772

Potentially, yes.

... that's paranoid.

Potentially, yes.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    ! @Iolo sent me Delete! I have no idea what it is!

fktJcEA.png

Thanks!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Well, also horrible people can create/do good things, and vice versa. The whole "you are a bad/good person" is a caricature, not a real description of people.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    There is being an ass and then there's being an ass that regularly attacks and invades people's emotional spaces, as well as physical spaces when drunk enough

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

fktJcEA.png

Thanks!

And beaten, that was fun.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

The thing is, we have a LOT of those going around. Like, a lot a lot. It's a very serious societal problem how normalized some of this shit is. A studio is a bunch of people, so statistically there's going to be some of them in there in most of them.

And well, people who like abusing others tend to rise up because that's one of the kinds of person that enjoys positions with power over others and over projects, and so they're more likely to angle for leadership positions than average. While, for example, as a programmer myself, if you gave me a choice between being a studio head (with a salary raise and everything), or a swift kick in the shins, I would probably take the kick, because gods above do I NOT want to be in charge.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

fktJcEA.png

Thanks!

And beaten, that was fun.

It didn't delete your backlog, though, like you'd hoped.

• OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    I woke up this morning to @HiT BiT sending me some codes.
    1zxe1nqwsh9q.png
    Thank you Hit Bit for Puzzle Agent and Puzzle Agent 2!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    So Happy Fun Ball is still undeterred from my lack of wishlist and knows I like the Warhams.
    y8ut1n6x8t0y.jpg

An interesting smattering of warhams! Thanks @Orivon ! I hope I'll have the time to try them some day, I may even like them!
    We may yet see folks figure out what games would be on my wishlist.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Im still vexed that your profile says you have one game on your wishlist.

the forbidden game!

Bedlam on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »

the forbidden game!

The Lambada?

• HevachHevach Registered User regular

the forbidden game!

I had that, too, a game I meant to buy that then never came out.

There's a couple guides to get rid of invisible wishlist games, the way I did it involved running a script in the debug console, since the controls to remove the games are technically in the page code, but not rendered without a store entry to fill in the card.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    yxa6cjw075z0.png

Thanks @Heartfinder !

Post impressions when you can, that game looks like a lot of fun!

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular

the forbidden game!

There is a wishlist, it could be something? Did he finally change it? You'll never know unless you check!
    Foiled again!
    54AB7A2CCE36F22BFEE756A0BB8041A012F64498

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Hmm, picked up Anno 2205 complete package on sale, enjoying a lot, then I see everyone seems to agree its the worst Anno game. I guess this means I should look into the rest of the series? I own 2070 but never really got around to playing much.

Jealous Deva on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Drascin wrote: »

The thing is, we have a LOT of those going around. Like, a lot a lot. It's a very serious societal problem how normalized some of this shit is. A studio is a bunch of people, so statistically there's going to be some of them in there in most of them.

And well, people who like abusing others tend to rise up because that's one of the kinds of person that enjoys positions with power over others and over projects, and so they're more likely to angle for leadership positions than average. While, for example, as a programmer myself, if you gave me a choice between being a studio head (with a salary raise and everything), or a swift kick in the shins, I would probably take the kick, because gods above do I NOT want to be in charge.

I think this is the key takeaway, especially the first part. It's less that the games industry draws an outsize number of exploitative people (it might, but I honestly don't know the numbers compared to others), and more that those people can be anywhere. There are factors in gaming which lend itself to forms of abuse - I think it shares a lot with other entertainment fields, a competitive environment often seen from the outside as a dream job - but nothing that makes the possibility of abuse itself uniquely high, 'uniquely' being the key word. The problem is everywhere, we're mostly just more aware of it now.

Don't be afraid to like stuff and respect the people that make it, just know that sometimes they're going to let you down. Sadly, humans learning to be better people is still very much a work in progress. Very, very rough progress.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular

the forbidden game!

Specifically Karoz had Devotion wishlisted. That game got removed from Steam. It does weird things when you wishlist stuff that gets removed.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Here I am just minding my own business, and I get hit by @Heartfinder!

1zp4pdg12iml.png

Thanks! I've had my eye on Wizard of Legend for a while, but never pulled the trigger.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    I just got some excellent news in chat although @Spoit will not go along with it. Thanks a lot. <3<3
    vk45wzj3756m.jpg

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Hey guise,

ODST is really good.

If ODST has even one fault, it is that half the campaign is best played solo, taking in the somber atmosphere of abandoned and occupied New Mombasa, while the other half is a stupidly fun romp with three friends in one sitting on Legendary.

Which means you will be playing this masterpiece at least twice. Twisting that minor fault around into a strength, like the smug interviewee who maintains that their biggest flaw is their perfectionism. Evidence of Bungie’s confidence in the player’s ability to appreciate the choices they made, here, is all over this game. No, you’re not playing as Master Chief. Yes, you have a health bar. No, there’s not a power weapon in the corner. Now go disassemble that big, tough enemy with a single SMG and a pistol. Do it quietly, and Keep It Clean.

Reach is probably still the high point of the series, but ODST is the entry I’ll likely return to first, now that I’ve picked up the MCC.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    (I mean there usually is a power weapon in the corner, but yes ODST is very good.)

I beat reccetear days ago but am finishing the dungeon campaigns

Elf archer boss from the jade dungeon can kiss my ass.

• übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Thanks again to @Talus9952 for Injustice 2 that I won on steamgifts a while ago. I just finished the Story Mode. Once I beat multiverse with each character once I'll be "done" with the game and can check it off the list but I can pick it up to do challenges later on. Then it's time for Transistor.

camo_sig.png
    Battleborn shutdown its servers this month.

Let's pour one out

https://youtu.be/4N5XQI8EDDw

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    MoO3 is hot garbage, galciv 2 is superior.

No argument here. After two brilliant games, the third entry in that franchise is a hard pass.

MoO3 is a terrible game, but I maintain that it's probably the most accurate simulation of what being a Galactic Emperor would actually be like: you spend all of your time sitting on your species' ass-equivalent in a big uncomfortable chair, looking over reports and spreadsheets and charts and listening to your advisors, and then issuing general mandates and policies to your ministers and generals (that will be passed down through the various bureaucracies) and praying that the dubiously competent AI your underlings don't completely screw things up. Meanwhile, all the stuff that's actually dangerous and exciting and interesting happens to other people very very far away, and perhaps you'll eventually hear about it in a report.

One of the most mindblowing things I eventually found out about MoO3 is that the combat was just 100% AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL the way glitched the fuck up and basically non-functional if you didn't use the "auto-resolve" thing. Essentially, any given 'unit' of weaponry can only target one thing at a time. So you COULD build a Point Defense system made of 50 lasers, but all 50 of those lasers would target a single missile. Or you could slap a battery of 50 phasers on a ship, but if you're up against 10 little ships, it's three times as effective to have 3 batteries of 2 phasers.

Which also meant that the strongest ships were ones that could just overwhelm them with targets in a single barrage. So the absolute most unstoppable fleet was basically a few generic filler ships, and one ship made up of nothing but a zillion super long range missiles that it fires in a single barrage as soon as battles start. You launch the missiles, and then immediately hit "Retreat." The missiles obliterate something, likely multiple somethings, and then the battle ends as your 'loss' with their strongest shit destroyed, and you can immediately attack again, decimating whatever they have each time.

But the core problem with it was always that the AIs that you're supposed to use as the guard-rails to avoid getting bogged down in all the minutia were just fucking horrendous. The ship design ones especially, but the planet governors too.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    @Iolo giftes me red dead 2! I can’t wait to push my computer to the maaaaaaaaax. Thank you!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    MoO3 is hot garbage, galciv 2 is superior.

No argument here. After two brilliant games, the third entry in that franchise is a hard pass.

MoO3 is a terrible game, but I maintain that it's probably the most accurate simulation of what being a Galactic Emperor would actually be like: you spend all of your time sitting on your species' ass-equivalent in a big uncomfortable chair, looking over reports and spreadsheets and charts and listening to your advisors, and then issuing general mandates and policies to your ministers and generals (that will be passed down through the various bureaucracies) and praying that the dubiously competent AI your underlings don't completely screw things up. Meanwhile, all the stuff that's actually dangerous and exciting and interesting happens to other people very very far away, and perhaps you'll eventually hear about it in a report.

One of the most mindblowing things I eventually found out about MoO3 is that the combat was just 100% AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL the way glitched the fuck up and basically non-functional if you didn't use the "auto-resolve" thing. Essentially, any given 'unit' of weaponry can only target one thing at a time. So you COULD build a Point Defense system made of 50 lasers, but all 50 of those lasers would target a single missile. Or you could slap a battery of 50 phasers on a ship, but if you're up against 10 little ships, it's three times as effective to have 3 batteries of 2 phasers.

Which also meant that the strongest ships were ones that could just overwhelm them with targets in a single barrage. So the absolute most unstoppable fleet was basically a few generic filler ships, and one ship made up of nothing but a zillion super long range missiles that it fires in a single barrage as soon as battles start. You launch the missiles, and then immediately hit "Retreat." The missiles obliterate something, likely multiple somethings, and then the battle ends as your 'loss' with their strongest shit destroyed, and you can immediately attack again, decimating whatever they have each time.

But the core problem with it was always that the AIs that you're supposed to use as the guard-rails to avoid getting bogged down in all the minutia were just fucking horrendous. The ship design ones especially, but the planet governors too.

That's an even sillier version of the missile cheese you could do in MoO2. Just take a ship with fast missile racks, and as many of the best missiles with the 2x volley type as you can fit.
    Fire both volleys on turn 1 then back away while they fly towards the target and retreat on impact if it survived. One of the safer ways to take starbases when you're not as evenly matched in terms of tech or ships cause they'll generally not be able to repair all the damaged systems in one turn so you can chip them down.

steam_sig.png
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    Ok, my friends. I need some help with game recommendations for the kiddos. Specifically looking to get something new for the 9 year old.

He loves the strategy and RTS genres. He has Civ 6, but we also play a lot of C&C (The brood owns just about everything now thanks to sales, except for 4), Dawn of War, and some of the older Star Wars RTS games.

He had a good run of Civ, but I noticed he plays A LOT of the conquer the galaxy mode in Star Wars: Empire at War. Like A LOT A LOT. He'll spend hours just doing it. He also found the Risk style side of C&C 3, and he's constantly into that. He mostly skips the actual battles in C&C, but he does play the space battles in Star Wars.

That being said, I never got much into the 4X type of games. It was always RPGs or RTS for dad here.

Suggestions on a 4X "conquer the galaxy" game that has space battles where you can potentially direct units, but is also not so overwhelming that a younger kid could mostly figure it out, even if it's on the easier difficulties?

Planetary Annihilation: Titans is also RTS but with massive scale, which might be interesting here.

My youngest also loves RTS games. But more explosions, bigger explosions, and the bigger the units get, the better. He loves giant robots. He calls them "meckers".

I showed him the trailer for this. His reaction?

vyj06dkwsrlz.gif
    "I want it."

not sure if it really comes across in the trailer. but....

not only do you get stompy robots in increasingly larger varieties.
    There are also Super weapons which are all very fun in a evil genius kind of way, and then if the game goes on long enough there is a straight up Death Star equivalent.

Or if you really want to send a message.... you can simply strap a bunch of engines to a moon and throw it at your opponents planet to really mess up their day.

Really what I am saying is Planetary Annihilation: Titans is real good

It's on the wishlist now. One of the hardest parts of being a gamer dad is not just throwing games left and right at your kids. I've started making them buy most of their games (Steam gift cards are now a very popular present wish), and have also taught them the power of wishlisting and waiting for sales.

His birthday is on Sunday, so I'll probably just buy it straight up for him as a present, and I know mom went shopping for gift cards (she found Steam gift cards 15% off at Target).

After the comics this week, I did break down and buy everyone Valheim, so we were having fun being vikings and eating pigs this weekend. My two oldest (7 and 9) actually beat the first boss by themselves, which was impressive. They grow up so fast...

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Hey guise,

ODST is really good.

If ODST has even one fault, it is that half the campaign is best played solo, taking in the somber atmosphere of abandoned and occupied New Mombasa, while the other half is a stupidly fun romp with three friends in one sitting on Legendary.

Which means you will be playing this masterpiece at least twice. Twisting that minor fault around into a strength, like the smug interviewee who maintains that their biggest flaw is their perfectionism. Evidence of Bungie’s confidence in the player’s ability to appreciate the choices they made, here, is all over this game. No, you’re not playing as Master Chief. Yes, you have a health bar. No, there’s not a power weapon in the corner. Now go disassemble that big, tough enemy with a single SMG and a pistol. Do it quietly, and Keep It Clean.

Reach is probably still the high point of the series, but ODST is the entry I’ll likely return to first, now that I’ve picked up the MCC.

I never played the first release, and it's just really nice to be playing as normal soldier dudes in the Halo setting instead of MC. It doesn't hurt they're mostly Firefly crew members. I also got the sense of exploring the world Eric Nylund help build from the books, which was really great. And of course the soundtrack is awesome.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Started up Control because took me long enough and spent most of my Sunday just playing that. After giving the combat a chance normally and getting absolutely destroyed in seconds I went ahead and made use of the accessibility features to pump energy and ammo recharge to maximum, turn on automatic aim, and now everything is fun as I gunsling Jedi my way through the Hiss. Throwing things is my main weapon, and I have that skill maxed out so it tends to blat mooks in one shot, and my chosen weapon modes are Pierce and Spin so I can choose between single powerful hits or crowd control. I still get killed every now and then because I didn't see a rocket heading my way or telekinesis just didn't wanna grab it, but I don't feel like I'm tissue paper in a blender anymore. Oh, and I really like how the PS5 controller gets that haptic trigger used for the gun, makes it extra fun.

The story so far is pretty good, very SCP which is what I was hoping for. I really like exploring for all those little lore bits and set pieces of contained artifacts, though all these doors I don't have clearance for need to let me in because I know there's something inside and it can't keep me out forever. It all reads very much like a typical office culture mixed in with the expected top secret men in black vibe. A workplace where people file reports, lose their bathrooms because the room itself just went somewhere else, and people occasionally get mauled because a stapler went crazy. You know, typical office stuff.

The puppet show can fuck right off though.

Madican on
    Startopia reboot hits this month. Looks like those angels from the last game didnt stick around.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    o1ia95xd7bxt.png

Another unprovoked gifting! Here I am, just minding my own busine--

Succubus, you say? Well okay then. I'm in.

Thanks @Orivon for the succubus fun! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    So, that disputed version of The Sinking City that just got released on Steam?

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
This discussion has been closed.