As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    One thing that's bugging me about Legends though.
    The time period looks very old, and pre-industrial.
    Yet pokeballs exist? Magic?

They appear to be artisanal nut-carved ones? Yeah, I'm not thinking about it too hard.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    One thing that's bugging me about Legends though.
    The time period looks very old, and pre-industrial.
    Yet pokeballs exist? Magic?

Preindustrial pokeballs are crafted out of apricorns.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The framerate in the Arceus trailer looked really bad. Gamefreak has not been a very good optimization dev ever, but that looks like bad news bears. Also the Pokemon appear to be floating on the terrain more so than living on it...

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    We've got a year, possibly two before release. I'm not terribly worried about it.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Utsunomiya was kind of handsome, wasn't he?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Trading card!

Anime!

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Utsunomiya was kind of handsome, wasn't he?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking it.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the pokemon legend thing was not only low frame rate, but also very low res with some weird broken antialiasing on the trees and stuff
    i'm pretty sure this is very far from finished.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Really excited for both projects honestly. Looking forward to the Diamond remake and actually really like the style on it. The Legends game looks like it'll be a neat departure from the norm, but definitely looks like a lot of work still needing to be done.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I wonder if Legends will have trainer battles. Part of me assumes there will be, because it's Pokémon, but this game also feels like it should be from an era before everyone and their kid owns Pokémon and wants to battle everyone they make eye contact with.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I know there's like a 97% chance I'll be buying Legends just because it's a new Pokemon game, and also the idea of a feudal Japan setting for Pokemon is frickin' awesome.

But I also want to know a lot more about it. We didn't see much (or any combat). It looks open world-ish, but I'd like to know what sorts of gameplay loops are going to be provided. I'd like to know what kind of open world goodness we can expect as far as side-activities, especially since this is an old-timey game. Will there be fishing? Berry collecting?

I just have so many questions.

Oh, I have lots of questions about Legends, but I figure this is just a teaser here to get people hyped... which maybe they should have been careful about those animations but. They've got over a year to trickle out more info, so it's sitting on the list of things to watch for now

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I was fooled once with SwSh, the wild area looked rough but promising, launched exactly how it looked in trailers. Supremely disappointed with those games.

Local H Jay on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Interested in seeing more of Legends, I'm kind of into anything that diverges from the eternally unchanging core formula at this point. Frame rate is kinda scary though. BD/SP is getting meme'd on hard on social media right now too, there's quite a bit of dissatisfaction with the appearance.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I was fooled once with SwSh, the wild area looked rough but promising, launched exactly how it looked in trailers. Supremely disappointed with those games.

I'm almost exactly split 50/50 on my opinion of SwSh.

Things I loved:
    -The stadiums
    -The crowd going wild when you Gigantimax
    -The gym leaders and character designs
    -The new pokemon and the region as a whole

Things I didn't love:
    -The wild area
    -How small the game world was
    -How short and rushed the story felt
    -Not enough Marney
    -Hop

It blows my mind how a company with basically infinite money can be so bad at online stuff. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, because Nintendo has a decades long history of being the worst at online integration. But despite the fact that there's a decades long precedent for it, I continue to be surprised anyway. Like. This is Nintendo. The company that made millions of dollars by selling cardboard cutouts. They have the money and resources to invest in a really strong multiplayer infrastructure. But they don't.

And the Wild Area is what we get instead. All that wealth. The ability to buy the best talent in the world. And we get the Wild Area. I am boggled.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I guess Pokemon Sleep was put to bed.

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Things I loved:
    -The stadiums

Things I didn't love:
    -The wild area
    -Not enough Marney
    -Hop

It blows my mind how a company with basically infinite money can be so bad at online stuff. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, because Nintendo has a decades long history of being the worst at online integration. But despite the fact that there's a decades long precedent for it, I continue to be surprised anyway. Like. This is Nintendo. The company that made millions of dollars by selling cardboard cutouts. They have the money and resources to invest in a really strong multiplayer infrastructure. But they don't.

And the Wild Area is what we get instead. All that wealth. The ability to buy the best talent in the world. And we get the Wild Area. I am boggled.

Game Freak, not Nintendo. Blame the company that actually makes the games.

homogenized on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Interested in seeing more of Legends, I'm kind of into anything that diverges from the eternally unchanging core formula at this point. Frame rate is kinda scary though. BD/SP is getting meme'd on hard on social media right now too, there's quite a bit of dissatisfaction with the appearance.

By adults

About a children's game

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Lets go is a little better
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

By adults

About a children's game

Can we stop with this? Adult fans are allowed to be disappointed in things.

Yeah Im sure theres people going way to far with it but that shouldn't take away from people being frustrated with the design choices

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular

Things I loved:
    -The stadiums

Things I didn't love:
    -The wild area
    -Not enough Marney
    -Hop

They're still the pokemon company. They still make a dumb amount of money. Nintendo also owns like 1/3rd of the company so it's not like they aren't involved. As far as nintendo servers though, I'm pretty sure the company who owns zelda and mario can afford online stuff to support their system's functionality.

Legends looks like crap though. The attacks looked so soulless. Even the lucario thing was kinda meh. And the pokemon and environment don't even look like they're from the same game. I know there's lots of dev time but nothing was good about the reveal other than the potential of the concept, which I don't think will be realized.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Eeeh, yeah, erm. Color me unenthused with Legends.

And I guess put me down in the "You literally have the highest grossing media franchise of all time! You make more fucking money then Star Wars! Your games make hundreds of millions, damn near (and sometimes even) a billion USD! You can afford to do better!" camp.

Ugh, I'm not happy to be of this mindset. It's just that even their games that sell "poorly" still sell better than most AAA releases.

Though probably the most frustrating thing about it all is that they don't have to do better. They can continue to ride that wave of mediocrity to mad dosh yo. But at the same time you'd think there'd be a certain level of professional pride that'd compel them to try to do better.

SWSH was something of a breaking point for me.

edit- Pokemon is a game series that makes a lot of people a lot of money and no one wants to rock that boat. Which I get, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

By adults

About a children's game

And as we all remember, children's media has no standards. In fact, it's offensive to even consider the quality of media for kids, and anyone who does it is probably bad in someway.

Or... this is just another way to be an apologist for a multi billion dollar corporation. Knock it off.

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Things I loved:
    -The stadiums

Things I didn't love:
    -The wild area
    -Not enough Marney
    -Hop

They're still the pokemon company. They still make a dumb amount of money. Nintendo also owns like 1/3rd of the company so it's not like they aren't involved.

No, The Pokémon Company is the Pokémon company. Nintendo making a dumb amount of money and owning a third of the license still doesn't mean they made the game. They aren't the ones that made the Wild Area. It's entirely possible to recognise who is responsible for what and still hate them both.

Also, this isn't Pokémon related but Labo is not just "cardboard cutouts". There are plenty of actual things Nintendo does to criticize them about, why the need to exaggerate and lump the crappy decisions others made into it?

homogenized on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Comments on the Direct...

Wow, we got our Gen 4 remakes, and... be careful what you wish for, huh? The art style really seems like a kick in the teeth after what we got from Sword/Shield. I’m just not feeling a return to the chibi-overworld stuff. It’s not really impressing me all that much. They feel like the afterthought of the Direct, and honestly they’d better have some good upgrades in there. Did they literally just grab the D/P files and upgrade all the already-made art instead of doing the right thing and giving us a true remake in the art style of Sw/Sh? It'll be nice to show my niece what Sinnoh is like, but at the same time, she had a lot of fun with the character customization in Sw/Sh and I haven't seen any of that here, so she might just get bored with these. I'd honestly rather they sit on them for a year and give us D/P/Pt remakes in the Sw/Sh artstyle instead of them just ripping the game right from the DS cart and shoving it into a Switch cart. It seems like a giant step backwards, to keep them like that. I mean, she's used to the level of graphics and character customization there than just being stuck with the overhead views and same sprite in Gen 4.

Though hopefully the Underground will be much, much less stupid than it was in the DS games. Spiritomb was a pain in the ass if you didn't want to trade away a legendary on GTS.

New Pokemon Snap is going to be a birthday gift when it comes out. I like it, my niece is excited for it, and we're hoping the controls aren't a pain in the butt.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus is easily the breakout surprise of the year- and what the damned remakes SHOULD look like instead of the old chibi overhead look! And the concept is freaking amazing, too!

So, overall... I think Legends and Snap are the two I'm looking forward to the most, but I'll buy the remakes too because it'll mean another hunk of my collection can go up as trade bait for stuff I don't have.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Comments on the Direct...

Wow, we got our Gen 4 remakes, and... be careful what you wish for, huh? The art style really seems like a kick in the teeth after what we got from Sword/Shield. I’m just not feeling a return to the chibi-overworld stuff. It’s not really impressing me all that much. They feel like the afterthought of the Direct, and honestly they’d better have some good upgrades in there. Did they literally just grab the D/P files and upgrade all the already-made art instead of doing the right thing and giving us a true remake in the art style of Sw/Sh? It'll be nice to show my niece what Sinnoh is like, but at the same time, she had a lot of fun with the character customization in Sw/Sh and I haven't seen any of that here, so she might just get bored with these. I'd honestly rather they sit on them for a year and give us D/P/Pt remakes in the Sw/Sh artstyle instead of them just ripping the game right from the DS cart and shoving it into a Switch cart. It seems like a giant step backwards, to keep them like that. I mean, she's used to the level of graphics and character customization there than just being stuck with the overhead views and same sprite in Gen 4.

Though hopefully the Underground will be much, much less stupid than it was in the DS games. Spiritomb was a pain in the ass if you didn't want to trade away a legendary on GTS.

New Pokemon Snap is going to be a birthday gift when it comes out. I like it, my niece is excited for it, and we're hoping the controls aren't a pain in the butt.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus is easily the breakout surprise of the year- and what the damned remakes SHOULD look like instead of the old chibi overhead look! And the concept is freaking amazing, too!

So, overall... I think Legends and Snap are the two I'm looking forward to the most, but I'll buy the remakes too because it'll mean another hunk of my collection can go up as trade bait for stuff I don't have.

With the remakes specifically they went out of their way to say the people making this arent even a regular pokemon team and that everything was "lovingly recreated" so yeah it strikes me as them not really caring about them much. Arceus seems more like their big deal game set in Sinnoh

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Hd stylized remakes like that is exactly what I would have wanted and it's funny I wouldn't have thought about that until the day before when I saw the mobile ff7 game that did exactly the same thing.

But now I'm primed for it. HD upgrades in the spirit of their original all day err day

The difference for me is Final Fantasy looks good and this looks like some weird minifig line they want to launch

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    All this backlash to Sw/Sh and their response is to make two more games within the space of a year. Fucking unbelievable, but they sold gangbusters so to hell with “quality.”

At least Legends is trying something new? I’d be more excited if it was a 2023 release and the Sinnoh remakes weren’t a thing.

YL9WnCY.png
    Sterica wrote: »
    All this backlash to Sw/Sh and their response is to make two more games within the space of a year. Fucking unbelievable, but they sold gangbusters so to hell with “quality.”

At least Legends is trying something new? I’d be more excited if it was a 2023 release and the Sinnoh remakes weren’t a thing.

There was backlash, but they were also titanic sales successes. Until the complaints actually manifest on their profits, they will NEVER care.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    The funny thing is that I do have complaints about Shield, but they're almost none of the complaints people typically have. So them listening to "the backlash" would probably have resulted in games that'd be even less interesting to me.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Also those remakes are definitely gonna be 60 dollars

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I don't like the art style, other people do, rip me I'll check out the next one

all there is to it

(legends is going to be a shitshow tho, I misread the launch date and thought they had a whole 'nother year to develop it. no way that works out l m a o)

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Legends looked fine for an early bulld imo. Also its a 2022 release they have time to fix the minor issues.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Legends (and SWSH) looks like a Wii game.

They’re not making games for a little handheld anymore. They’re making games for something with power. There is no excuse for any of their stuff to look like this.

Look at Yo-kai Watch. That is slick and buttery smooth looking. With a big ol’ open world to explore.

Temtem as well looks nice and runs smooth. With all the actions and animations being very snappy.

edit- Or to put my thoughts in a more concise manner. The mainline Pokemon games are the undisputed industry leaders, yet somehow they're a decade behind the competition. The series barrels along under the sheer weight of its IP.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Pokemon thread! I am trying to catch a 6IV Ditto because I'm a madman. My catch combo is up to 50 or so in Let's Go Pikachu and I'm curious, because apparently 1150 or 1152 is supposed to be a perfect ditto at level 45? So do I actually need to keep catching them and using ultra balls? Or can I just look at the CP and then run away if it's too low? Not sure what the benefit is of raising the catch combo up past where I am now because I was reading that once you hit 31 you have 4 max stats and the other 2 are random, so you just keep going at that point until you get lucky.

Does this make sense? I barely know what I'm doing but I wanna delve into dumb breeding stuff and so I want a perfect ditto to port into Sw/Sh. And it's pretty relaxing to catch ditto while watching netflix.

Axen wrote: »
    Legends (and SWSH) looks like a Wii game.

They’re not making games for a little handheld anymore. They’re making games for something with power. There is no excuse for any of their stuff to look like this.

Look at Yo-kai Watch. That is slick and buttery smooth looking. With a big ol’ open world to explore.

Temtem as well looks nice and runs smooth. With all the actions and animations being very snappy.

edit- Or to put my thoughts in a more concise manner. The mainline Pokemon games are the undisputed industry leaders, yet somehow they're a decade behind the competition. The series barrels along under the sheer weight of its IP.

Pokemon may be technologically inferior but it has that gameplay depth that really makes it stand out in the genre... no, wait. The series has resisted growth and improvement by consistently deleting all of the new features they try out in lieu of really growing what the series can be beyond a basic Game Boy game.

Well, it is a series beloved by multiple generations of players, so at least they have that multi-generational appeal... except that the devs have utterly refused very basic requests for things that really experienced players have wanted such as skipping tutorials and a harder difficulty for the main quest for the entire series. The one time they did ponder a Hard mode, they made it exclusive to one out of the two versions and only available as a New Game+ type deal. Then they never brought it back because that's their fetish.

Still, it would be hard to argue against Pokemon's depth as a competitive versus game... except it's actually pretty easy to do so. Playing Pokemon vs is like 200 hours of prep to every 15 minutes of battle. It'd be like if you weren't allowed a functional version of Ryu to play with until you'd hatched 90 Ryu eggs looking for Fireball nature to show up with the right stat spread. The incredibly large number of Pokemon and the ease of catching them implies that strategic decision making in terms of what to build and then how to use them will be the game, but ahead of that you need to consider IVs, EVs, Egg moves, TM availability, etc. Maybe you need to play the campaign of an entirely different game for 20 hours just to make a critter learn the correct move and then be traded to your team to be of any use. It's beyond parody and the exact opposite of the campaign. So the vs element is accessible to pick up matches among friends who just want to use their favorites to battle each other, super obsessed lifers, and of course hackers. And that last is the saddest part. The version of Pokemon where you theory craft a smart team, click a few buttons to add that team to a party, and then instantly start testing them out exists, but only through fanmade unofficial copyright violating games.

And in the end, none of this matters because tiny children and nostalgic adults buy 20 million copies because Pokemon cute and the game part of the game is allowed to continue on like this forever.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Im fine with Pokemon staying Pokemon. In fact it is one of the most soothing series still in existence because of the series largely never changing drastically. Other games have tried to piggy back on it but have never managed to get even close to this series even with the "superior/modern" upgrades. People clearly want the status quo and it would be most likely not be in their best interest to do so until that changes. Especially with what is happening to Disgaea right now after doing a pretty drastic overhaul of its systems/modernizing it. It is a big risk to change not only something that sells like it does and is one of the bigger console sellers they have.

Jubal77 on
    Really I just want them to remove the incentives for breeding for IVs. Make all online matches normalize IV differences. EVs and egg moves only (and hell, put in some kind of egg move cross-tutor guy, where you can train an egg move from one pokemon to one that can learn it without going through breeding). Breeding is RNG cancer and also antithetical to the whole message of the games anyways.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    If they make IVs normalize it'll make breeding for a minimum speed Pokemon harder/impossible depending on the implementation. If they go that route they'd have to just let you choose your IVs in online battles ala Pokemon Showdown. If you remove the ability to customize your Pokemon through breeding they need to reintroduce it elsewhere.

Besides, bottlecaps are SUPER plentiful. If you want all max IVs on something, you can have them super quick and easy.

Cruor on
    edited March 2021
    Cruor wrote: »
    If they make IVs normalize it'll make breeding for a minimum speed Pokemon harder/impossible depending on the implementation. If they go that route they'd have to just let you choose your IVs in online battles ala Pokemon Showdown. If you remove the ability to customize your Pokemon through breeding they need to reintroduce it elsewhere.

Besides, bottlecaps are SUPER plentiful. If you want all max IVs on something, you can have them super quick and easy.

How quick and easy is quick and easy? Like can you briefly explain what it's like getting bottlecaps in Sw/Sh and how long a non-experienced player would expect that to take, realistically? Sometimes long term fans have gotten used to something deeply stupid because it's always been that way. Then you'll see community posts like "MASSIVE QoL improvement, you no longer have to castrate rats individually, there's a button to cue that up in sleep mode now so that you can..." and they can't even hear how utterly insane and unacceptable the whole thing is.

shoeboxjeddy on