As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] The series so dead they resurrected it twice!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    OK this is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX0f2kUE0wA
    First 4 Figures is proud to introduce their latest resin statue collectible, Metroid Prime: Samus Helmet.

The Varia Suit is one of Samus Aran’s many equipable space suits in the Metroid series and is the armor she starts with in Metroid Prime. Although the suit is predominantly orange in color, the helmet and the upper half of the torso are red. And just like in the games, her helmet, and the entire Varia Suit for that matter, has a shiny and metallic finish to it, just like the replica.

As for the base it’s mounted on, the design of it replicates the Save Stations in the Metroid Prime games, which, as the name implies, is where you save the progress of your games.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    That's cool but holy shit not $500 cool.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Man, I'm sad that the statue is meta-Ridley and not his non-robotic form. I much prefer his organic self.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Twitter has been going apeshit with Metroid hype recently. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by the end of E3.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I don't think we're going to see a new Metroid for the same reason we haven't seen a new F-Zero

Nintendo can't think of a reason or a hook to a new game and thus won't make it, as any new game that isn't significantly different from the old will eat into the re-release sales.

Yes, I'm cynical, but quite frankly Nintendo's one company that's earned that cynicism.

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Twitter has been going apeshit with Metroid hype recently. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by the end of E3.

The lark's on the wing;
    The snail's on the thorn;
    Metroid fans are disappointed—
    All's right with the world!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I dunno, I'm fully on board with the rumors that Nintendo has MercurySteam developing a new 2D Metroid. Whether this is ready to show by e3, I dunno, but I do think that is a thing that's happening (maybe especially because they've pawned it off on a different studio who have proven themselves with a previous 2D Metroid... if the rumor was Nintendo doing it I'd be way more skeptical).

Now, I've seen a lot of rumors that said MS Metroid would be announced/shown at e3, but who knows how accurate those are. I'd like to believe them, but I won't throw a hissy fit if they're wrong too. (I mean, I also wouldn't say no to a Switch port of Samus Returns either Nintendo *cough* *cough*)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

I feel this year's going to end up like this, just change 30 to 35

k2pj4kg9jnwe.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Well so far we haven't heard anything about the 35th for Zelda. Here's hoping.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Well so far we haven't heard anything about the 35th for Zelda. Here's hoping.

I think BoTW2 sorta kinda counts there, but we know nothing beyond a short cinematic trailer. Would be nice to see more at e3 but I'm keeping my expectations low.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I thought a new Metroid Prime was in the works?

Is that not still the case?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

So far as we know it still is in the works, but there's been no new info since they announced they were scrapping what they had, giving the project to different devs, and starting over.

Cruor on
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Metroid Prime 4 could release anytime between 2021 and the end of time.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I suppose that as long as it's not officially cancelled, there's hope.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I don't think we're going to see a new Metroid for the same reason we haven't seen a new F-Zero

Nintendo can't think of a reason or a hook to a new game and thus won't make it, as any new game that isn't significantly different from the old will eat into the re-release sales.

Yes, I'm cynical, but quite frankly Nintendo's one company that's earned that cynicism.

They released a new metroid a few years ago, and are literally working on Prime 4 as we speak. I mean, they care enough about the franchise to not release a garbage game and scrapped it to make sure it was quality. They did this publicly to ensure that fans knew what was happening. No other company does that when having to start development over. I'd say they have gone above and beyond to be pretty up front with fans of the franchise. It's been a couple years since then, so knowing how Nintendo usually doesn't like to announce stuff too early (or things like this happen) we probably won't hear about the new game until next year at the earliest.

As far as a new 2D Metroid goes, I'm very positive we'll hear about it this year at some point. Either E3 or later in the year. Some people that are very much in the know about Nintendo have said that a new 2D Metroid will be coming this year.

Basically Nintendo continues to put a lot of work, manpower, and money toward a franchise that really does not make them much money. Any other company would have given up on the franchise ages ago.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I wish Nintendo would give the Prime 2D guys the go-ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE28b2aTpFQ

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I wish Nintendo would give the Prime 2D guys the go-ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE28b2aTpFQ

I made sure to grab this before it inevitably gets nuked into oblivion. It's pretty good already even just being a demo.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

They released a new metroid a few years ago, and are literally working on Prime 4 as we speak. I mean, they care enough about the franchise to not release a garbage game and scrapped it to make sure it was quality. They did this publicly to ensure that fans knew what was happening. No other company does that when having to start development over. I'd say they have gone above and beyond to be pretty up front with fans of the franchise. It's been a couple years since then, so knowing how Nintendo usually doesn't like to announce stuff too early (or things like this happen) we probably won't hear about the new game until next year at the earliest.

As far as a new 2D Metroid goes, I'm very positive we'll hear about it this year at some point. Either E3 or later in the year. Some people that are very much in the know about Nintendo have said that a new 2D Metroid will be coming this year.

Basically Nintendo continues to put a lot of work, manpower, and money toward a franchise that really does not make them much money. Any other company would have given up on the franchise ages ago.

Alternatively, any other company wouldn't have produced the trash fires of Other M and Federation Force, throwing their own IP into the trash through direct action rather than neglect. I really don't understand the praise here.

• Options
    Yeah Nintendo just straight don't give a shit about the Metroid IP

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Edit: Nevermind

Basically I like Metroid, it's one of my three favorite gaming franchises of all time. I was just explaining that we know Metroid content is coming. That is all.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Edit: Nevermind

Basically I like Metroid, it's one of my three favorite gaming franchises of all time. I was just explaining that we know Metroid content is coming. That is all.

I like Metroid too, which is why I refuse to give Nintendo a pass. They have tremendously mishandled it on every level. The only positive thing I can say is that they gave very valuable design guidance to Retro, which made the Prime series into what it was. After that moment... non-stop downhill, no brakes.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    They turned Samus into some subservient waifu in Other M (or didn't stop it from happening) and I'm not convinced they aren't going to push that direction with MP4, if it ever releases.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Alternatively, any other company wouldn't have produced the trash fires of Other M and Federation Force, throwing their own IP into the trash through direct action rather than neglect. I really don't understand the praise here.

Other M was crap because a reasonably respected director got an insane amount of power somehow and completely ignored any helpful advice. Which was weird and anti-Nintendo, and hasn't happened again. I wonder if the guy managed to get blackmailable photos of Miyamoto having sex with a chicken or something.

Federation Force was a perfectly fine game that committed the cardinal sin of being in the Metroid universe but not being a Metroid game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    It's just bonkers, really - I understand that Zelda brings in the cash, but like Link's Awakening got a 3d remake, Link to the Past got a 3d sequel, and meanwhile Super Metroid, a top-3 contender for best SNES game, isn't even available digitally on a modern console.

• Options
    They turned Samus into some subservient waifu in Other M (or didn't stop it from happening) and I'm not convinced they aren't going to push that direction with MP4, if it ever releases.

There's literally no reason to think this.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    It's just bonkers, really - I understand that Zelda brings in the cash, but like Link's Awakening got a 3d remake, Link to the Past got a 3d sequel, and meanwhile Super Metroid, a top-3 contender for best SNES game, isn't even available digitally on a modern console.

They took Super Metroid off the Switch SNES app?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

The point was to establish how likely sequels are in an underselling franchise, not how wonderful Nintendo is.

Personally I'd rather see them try and fall flat on their face than not, I mean I can always choose to just not buy crap games. But that's just personal opinion that has no bearing on what Nintendo is doing.

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular

Isn't Retro Studios in charge of MP4 now?

• Options
    Federation Force probably started life as something completely new and they only tacked on the Metroid coat of paint because they thought that it might not be strong enough as an independent, new IP.

• Options

Is Sakomoto not involved?

He's the one who made the decisions on Other M, not Team Ninja.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Other M was crap because a reasonably respected director got an insane amount of power somehow and completely ignored any helpful advice. Which was weird and anti-Nintendo, and hasn't happened again. I wonder if the guy managed to get blackmailable photos of Miyamoto having sex with a chicken or something.

Federation Force was a perfectly fine game that committed the cardinal sin of being in the Metroid universe but not being a Metroid game.

An important brand management lesson is that when a series is healthy, spinoffs are charming or interesting or at worst, regrettable, but not a big problem. When the series is coming off its least popular game (which was also a long time ago), going the spinoff route reads like steering into an iceberg.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Usually things aren't this reductive, but in this case, pretty much every bad decision in Other M is directly from Sakomoto.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

Sakamoto is involved as much as he was with the other Prime games - not at all.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

I literally saw it on there today. I'm guessing @Delzhand just doesn't know about the SNES app. Unless Delzhand is in a different region (North America here) and things are different there?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

An important brand management lesson is that when a series is healthy, spinoffs are charming or interesting or at worst, regrettable, but not a big problem. When the series is coming off its least popular game (which was also a long time ago), going the spinoff route reads like steering into an iceberg.

Yes, I also think this is what really hurt Federation Force. IIRC Metroid Pinball was pretty close to Prime 1, and Hunters came out around Prime 2, didn't it? If M:FF had come out closer to a Metroid game that was both good and of a more conventional style, I think a lot more people would have been willing to give it a fair shake.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

I believe Kensuke Tanabe is the producer, not Sakamoto.

• Options

I believe Kensuke Tanabe is the producer, not Sakamoto.

Oh thank god

• Options
    edited May 2021

Usually things aren't this reductive, but in this case, pretty much every bad decision in Other M is directly from Sakomoto.

Yeah I remember reading the interviews where he was basically “Yeah, that was me” on every question about why Samus acted as she did

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What we need is a Metroid and Sonic crossover game by a Western studio that adheres to the concept of Samus being a bounty hunter and not a space paladin.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I literally saw it on there today. I'm guessing @Delzhand just doesn't know about the SNES app. Unless Delzhand is in a different region (North America here) and things are different there?

I was not aware of it, no. I don't know why I need to pay $4 a month for access to a glorified emulator, but I guess this technically counts as "available digitally on a modern console" i guess