As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm having flashbacks of our club's old snow table that was covered in baking soda. That crap got EVERYWHERE for YEARS.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Did a Slaves to Darkness test. Bloody weapons or leave it clean? It feels like it doesn't fit with the rest of the model. I thought about doing splashes of blood in the snow but Im not sure how to best go about that.

LM4yiSx.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    DocSamson wrote: »
    Did a Slaves to Darkness test. Bloody weapons or leave it clean? It feels like it doesn't fit with the rest of the model. I thought about doing splashes of blood in the snow but Im not sure how to best go about that.

LM4yiSx.jpg

The blood is too red and even I think. I haven't done any myself but good blood splatter uses not only reds but browns and black. And if it's very red and fresh it probably could use some gloss.

Besides using special paints like the GW technical or Tamiya clear red, a mix of glossy washes and inks should probably work well.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The GW blood effect is great

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @DocSamson

The issue with the blood is that it's only on the axe, which kind of implies that the source was maybe an execution? Otherwise, there should be some splattered on the armor, in the snow, on his face, etc.

Awesome model and paintjob. :D

• Options
    Fair points everyone thanks. That is the blood for the blood god paint but yeah it’s definitely too concentrated. Might just stick to the clean route.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Continuing to try and work from art rather than pics of other minis, this time with my Death Guard modeled after the Lords of Silence cover by Johan Grenier, and Poxwalkers from their codex art.

I think I'm pretty close. The poxwalker is done completely with oils, which was a fun learning experience.

q6rekmee9xvz.jpg
    3fyea73lu9bk.jpg
    0os0qi2f6dlr.jpg
    gd5lkveyvrdh.jpg
    hwp8zfz8nb67.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DocSamson wrote: »
    Fair points everyone thanks. That is the blood for the blood god paint but yeah it’s definitely too concentrated. Might just stick to the clean route.

You can take blood for the blood god on a drybrush and drag it across something straight and rigid (xacto knife, mold line remover, etc) to get a very realistic blood splatter effect. Go close up and heavy for a contact point like on a weapon, then further away and lighter for cast-off/spray patterns

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    That's how I did my poxwalkers, makes for good diseased flesh tones

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Asher wrote: »
    They're soft plastic yeah? A heat gun should work. Alternatively try immersing it in hot water and seeing if that makes it more malleable before breaking out the clippers.

Heat in near-boiling water for a minute, then repose, then dunk in ice water for several minutes to re-set the plastic in the new position.

Thanks for the tips.
    Before:
    4odth3orx8lu.jpg

After:
    zdf2lqt0cya2.jpg

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Finished painting up another underworlds warband, took roughly a month.

Hardest part was deciding on which browns to use for all the different areas, and trying to still keep them distinct on the model, beastmen didnt feel to me to be a colourful type of warband.
    m2xuedwcww90.jpeg

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    So as I mentioned in the 40k thread, I won TOs Choice for Best Painted at the tournament I was painting the Raptors for.
    BKK0cMa.jpg
    It's a sick trophy. If I plug it in it lights up!

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    I did the thing I swore I would never do. I made an eradicator.
    cplx4ks4melj.jpg
    defs9pkkshdp.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Very nice!
    Where's his left arm from?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Finished the rest of the warriors squad. The start collecting box is a test whether this is even a fun army to paint, now to see what this Be'lakor reveal leads to...

FY2w5b4.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Very nice!
    Where's his left arm from?

Just a terminator stormbolter arm. I cut off the bolter and made the gun from a tau plasma rifle and multimelta, with some other gubbin for the handle. As far as gravis go, eradicators and heavy intercessors booth look way better than aggressors, but I'm not really a fan of the awkward melta rifle grips.

EDIT: oh sorry, LEFT arm. It's a grey knight (i think) apothecary arm with the blades and syringes cut off and a chaos smoke launcher tip to make... iunno, a laser designator or something?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Printed up a big marine bust

Then scaled up and printed some custom parts from Thingiverse

Decided on these parts, now to prime him!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Printed up a big marine bust

Then scaled up and printed some custom parts from Thingiverse

Decided on these parts, now to prime him!

Oh damn, where’d you find the bust file?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Oh damn, where’d you find the bust file?

I don't want to link to it directly, but it was made by someone named "Jotage83". That should be enough to find it online.

Got some base coats down today

T6qQw0s.jpg?1

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2021
    rk1znfaf8935.jpeg

Today’s progress shot - did the orange horns, will probably redo the ones in front as they veered away from the orange a little

Going to push to finish these this weekend

Bonus shot of what I did this morning

kyfruhymfz97.jpeg

Vanguard on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    On the subject of death guard. Kitbashed a fleshmower Bloat Drone from a Dark Imperium one and some leftover Penitent engine parts.

Still messing around with oil paints (the dead flesh on the back) and I think I overdid the glow effect, but I can't fix it without repainting the entire upper front of the model :lol:

Gotta be more careful next time.

sjrm8sad5wyt.jpg

7s4loihcc4ey.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Finally received my Instant Color pledge from Scale75. 3 months in Transit, with a good chunk of that sitting in the US stuck in customs hell. Everything arrived in pretty good shape! Going to start on a Wizkids D&D 5e frost giant tonight, see how they perform. I also got a full selection of regular colors and a copper/bronze metals pack. I also already have their inks and steel series metals already.

v26u9od1i0eh.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Double posting because I started painting tonight. Definitely a different experience using the instant paints. They are for sure not for big flat surfaces. Also if you want the color, you gotta pick the dropper that is almost black, otherwise you're getting a MUCH lighter shade. Overall though it's laying down pretty well on the wiz-kids model, which was a coin flip since it has its own primer, and not Scale75's.

I think after this the Instant Paints will be saved for medium/small minis I'm trying to knock out fast. Big models and Hero characters will get the regular paint/wash/highlight passes.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Meow

u8PiusJ.jpg?1md9X8XQ.jpg?1

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I have been working on these little dudes
    wbe0tbdfs659.jpg

hk3xlwaz4ch8.jpg

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I have been working on these little dudes
    wbe0tbdfs659.jpg

New skaven models going in a very different direction

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I think my favorite part of painting a mini is when you are starting to do the fine details, and coming back and cleaning up the little over the line mistakes. Getting everything nice and tidy. It's when the model is really starting to come together. It's the point when you look at it, and the finished result is apparent, even though it isn't actually complete yet. I'm just about there with this Frost Giant, and even though he was a practice piece for the Instant Color paints and I'm not doing a ton of touch up, the theme is coming through and overall it doesn't look too bad. It'll make a good table piece.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I think my favorite part of painting a mini is when you are starting to do the fine details, and coming back and cleaning up the little over the line mistakes. Getting everything nice and tidy. It's when the model is really starting to come together. It's the point when you look at it, and the finished result is apparent, even though it isn't actually complete yet. I'm just about there with this Frost Giant, and even though he was a practice piece for the Instant Color paints and I'm not doing a ton of touch up, the theme is coming through and overall it doesn't look too bad. It'll make a good table piece.

What's the instant color thing, anyway? Is it like GW contrast?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Yeah, but with mainly more muted colours compared to the more intense contrast versions

• Options
    edited March 2021
    9rjmlp2gpjck.jpeg

Calling these guys done (save the rims and a few minor details)

Vanguard on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I think I like collecting the tools to paint more than actual painting. :D I know I shouldn't, but maybe someone here would be interested...

On the Power Rangers minis facebook group, someone linked a Tattoo ink stirrer. Basically a vortex stirrer that you press a bottle against and it mixes paints. It appears to work EXTREMELY well for acrylics. It is expensive though, retailing for $140.. but the link/ad says half off. I'm super suspicious of things like that, but the device itself seemed really cool.

.... and doing some more research, I found the video that the facebook ad stole from (as they often do). The price is also cheaper here, and looking on YouTube there are a lot of options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ybrruxhLg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I would understand a tool like that for someone with a mobility impairment or doing this as a full-time job, but that seems like a big cost for a fairly minor time saver overall? If they were like ~$30 sure I would understand us all buying them, but >$100 is on par with another airbrush or something.

• Options
    Hmmmm. Should I hit the metallic parts of my Frost Giant with gloss varnish or not. I just sprayed him down with Army painter Anti-Shine Matte varnish, and it dulled him down nicely. The metal parts are still glittery, but do I want to make them really pop with a gloss top coat? Decisions decisions.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Hmmmm. Should I hit the metallic parts of my Frost Giant with gloss varnish or not. I just sprayed him down with Army painter Anti-Shine Matte varnish, and it dulled him down nicely. The metal parts are still glittery, but do I want to make them really pop with a gloss top coat? Decisions decisions.

Personal opinion only, but I've found that gloss varnish on metallics doesn't really make it look more metallic, it just looks glittery and glossy. I don't like how it looks when compared to the rest of the model being matte.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Making progress. Almost done!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I think I like collecting the tools to paint more than actual painting. :D I know I shouldn't, but maybe someone here would be interested...

On the Power Rangers minis facebook group, someone linked a Tattoo ink stirrer. Basically a vortex stirrer that you press a bottle against and it mixes paints. It appears to work EXTREMELY well for acrylics. It is expensive though, retailing for $140.. but the link/ad says half off. I'm super suspicious of things like that, but the device itself seemed really cool.

.... and doing some more research, I found the video that the facebook ad stole from (as they often do). The price is also cheaper here, and looking on YouTube there are a lot of options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ybrruxhLg

That finger is so long it’s freaking me out.

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    If I'm using one of the non-primer GW sprays (eg Mephiston Red), can I just spray straight onto the model or do I need to prime first?

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've never had any issues just spraying it on straight, it works just fine as a first coat.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Same here. I go through a lot of Mephiston Red spray because it's the main base color for my Marine army. GW's sprays are stupid expensive, but they're great. Just stay away from Corax White, it's dogshit in a can. Go with Wraithbone or Gray Seer and work up from there if you want white.

On a related note, a free paint stirrer from your local hardware store and some double sided tape is the easiest way to make a spraystick, but GW's product works pretty well too, especially if you're going to be spraying more than a unit or two at a time.