As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I'm loving my fiora shyv deck. It's only like slightly above 50% on ladder. I've made some dumb mistakes to throw games though. I'm honestly surprised how long the deck can just keep chugging along with just the landmark and chow.

The draw 2 cards landmark is good. Dragon chow is actually not a bad card. It's a decent little blocker, and can move shyv towards her level up faster, and buff other dragons. I just wish there were better dragons in demacia to support other than screeching dragon. I'm currently running the big 9 cost dragon and the one with scout. Though some nutty things can happen when the eggologist gives me an eclipse dragon.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    this heimerdinger lab is dumb. it does work both ways like when I ended up with an 18/12 vi, but being against a fiora with unyielding spirit on turn three made me stop playing it

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Jarvan is so much fun. Just a big dumb grin across my face some of these games. Played against a guy who didn't realize I would just kill one unit every dang turn. Didn't try to do anything fancy, just played one unit a turn against my leveled Jarvan.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Well... seems like it's really really hard to level up the sun disc. I pulled it off once, but by then I was too far behind to win the game. Lissandra also seems really hard to make work, but I might just not have found a deck I like yet.

I agree Jarvan seems really strong. I've had good luck with a full demacia elites deck with him. I've had good luck with Kindred and Azir so far, but Kindred seems to really flop against certain deck types.

Definitely super fun having so much new stuff to try.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    My opponent destroying my sun disc with only 1 left would tilt me so much I dare not even try it.

ledros one shot my nexus and it was stupid as hell

I made a kindred deck with last breath stuff, but I'm starting to think she's better with offensive spells to kill units

ive ran into so many ledros decks theyre super annoying.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I played my first game after the expansion drop and got matched up against a mono-Shurima sun disk deck. Got beaten down pretty hard and my opponent managed to hour glass his Rennectin and play another one.

Thankfully I was playing my Anivia deck and held out at 3 hp and created a fleet of Anivia to win.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited March 2021
    I truly can't believe they let the Ledros interaction into the game. Hearthstone ass bullshit, just add "if it costs 8 or less"

Coinage on
    retooled kindred with a bunch of cheap noxian kill spells since you want to go for cheap units and let her kill the big units. works okay, so long as kindred stays alive. you can clean their board pretty well and then attack right away before they can get more units out, then kill those units with spells. It worked really well against the one tf/fizz I played, I just killed all his low health fizzes and tfs and elusive crap before they could do anything. shit vs something like swain/ezreal. I'm sure someone better at the game will figure out something stronger, though

The nice thing about LoR is that the developers tend to clamp down on bullshit before long. I can't imagine the Ledros combo will last very long.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Just in case anyone was wondering about mastery for champs. Lvl 2 is 2k xp, and lvl 3 is another 4500. I've been playing a lot today and have shyv and fiora at 3.

• Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    The one downside I'm seeing with the Sun Disc mechanic is that it often chains a TON of cinematics back-to-back. One game, I had a Level 2 Nasus in play. Here's what happened:
    • Play Azir, who levels up immediately. Play his 1 - > 2 animation.
    • The Sun Disc flips. Play its animation.
    • Nasus levels up. Play his 2 - > 3 animation.
    • Azir levels up. Play his 2 - > 3 animation.
    • Azir replaces my deck with the Emperor's Deck. I think there was a mini-animation here?

Granted, that's a kind of a worst-case scenario, and I feel like they did a good job of keeping these animations relatively short. But I can imagine getting a little frustrated if I were on the receiving end of such a lengthy barrage of cinematics heralding my impending doom.

Incidentally, the next thing I did in that game was duplicate Nasus with Shimmering Mirage, swing for $Texas, and win. So if they were annoyed by the animation blitz, at least it wasn't for very long.

It may be the case that Jarvan is the best instance of LoL to LoR translation. Everything about him feels like what I remember from LoL, that jump out of nowhere get fucked play over and over.

The one downside I'm seeing with the Sun Disc mechanic is that it often chains a TON of cinematics back-to-back.
    reddit is already ahead of you haha

• Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    The one downside I'm seeing with the Sun Disc mechanic is that it often chains a TON of cinematics back-to-back.
    reddit is already ahead of you haha
    Good Lord, it's over a full minute of cinematics!

The music fits, just, perfectly. :)

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

I made a kindred deck with last breath stuff, but I'm starting to think she's better with offensive spells to kill units

Swim's running that Ledros Concurrent Timelines midrange and it feels like the correct place to put them.

Kindred is basically a bullying tool you use to leverage whatever plan you want (whether slowing agro or denying control pieces). They fit mid range super well.

Was just watching a Swim video and he's crafting some cards to make a deck. Dude has 224k Shards, 207 Champ WC, 299 Epic WC, 778 Epic WC, and 1306 Common WC. And I thought I had a lot.

But man, is that just a night and day difference to full-time streamer/players vs any other card game. He could craft a few years of expansions just from the rewards he's earned in the first year.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Oh, minor request, but I'd like it if they changed the new Focus spell speed icon's color to something not pink. It blends in too much with the Slow spell icon. Making it green, orange, or whatever would be better.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Was just watching a Swim video and he's crafting some cards to make a deck. Dude has 224k Shards, 207 Champ WC, 299 Epic WC, 778 Epic WC, and 1306 Common WC. And I thought I had a lot.

But man, is that just a night and day difference to full-time streamer/players vs any other card game. He could craft a few years of expansions just from the rewards he's earned in the first year.

I'm pretty sure the streamers are also given a lot of shit for free. High profile streamers have a fuck ton of coins I'm assuming so they can basically be cosmetics advertisers, it wouldn't surprise me if they got other stuff.

Although their weekly vaults are probably nutso.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the streamers are also given a lot of shit for free. High profile streamers have a fuck ton of coins I'm assuming so they can basically be cosmetics advertisers, it wouldn't surprise me if they got other stuff.

Although their weekly vaults are probably nutso.

My understanding is they get all the cards for free. That's what happened when Bilgewater dropped as far as I remember. I swear I remember Swim being surprised when he went in and found all the shit on his account already.

Jars wrote: »

Swim's running that Ledros Concurrent Timelines midrange and it feels like the correct place to put them.

Kindred is basically a bullying tool you use to leverage whatever plan you want (whether slowing agro or denying control pieces). They fit mid range super well.

my epiphany with kindred is that she kills the weakest unit your enemy has, so if you kill the weakest unit your enemy has she will kill progressively stronger things. basically if they have a 1/1 spiderling and a 10/10 engine of death and destruction, all you gotta do is kill that 1/1 spiderling and the 10/10 engine of destruction is dead. so spending tons of resources to kill big expensive units goes against how she works.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's what I mean by bullying game plans.

Whether it's decimating the board of agro or using your mark to make them cry about Azir only having 1 power. The mark is immutable unless something happens to Kindred so it's infinite 2 for 1 pressure.

I've being using them like a more aggressive tahm Kench in that regard.

Azir is pretty annoying because his tiny power makes him essentially invisible to Jarvan most of the time. Almost out of iron with mono Demacia though. I might try to mix it up shortly even though it is very fun to jump out of nowhere and dunk someone.

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    Oh, minor request, but I'd like it if they changed the new Focus spell speed icon's color to something not pink. It blends in too much with the Slow spell icon. Making it green, orange, or whatever would be better.

I've wondered if it's intentional as a marker of "can't play this on opponent's action" where Focus and Slow speeds are being grouped together. Dunno, though.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    edited March 2021
    Fun fact for everyone. Boomerang blade will hit the same target twice if there is only one enemy, as they are both the weakest and strongest unit. It also doesn't pick those units until it resolved.

:( <- my opponent's face

Enigmedic on
    God I really need to pay more attention. Pull a Kindred Nasus deck from a random person on mobalytics, play 3 games going hmm I think this deck is garbage. Check their profile and it says current rank: bronze II. K

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Spirit Fire is a huge blowout in Expedition

liEt3nH.png
    me, starting an expedition: THIS TIME i'm NOT going to draft sivir
    me, looking at the other two buckets with a :| face: LOOKS LIKE I'M DRAFTING SIVIR!

liEt3nH.png
    Switched over to Lucian/Azir, it's pretty strong I think. Probably better than Jarvan, it's a solid beatdown.

I think jarvan works best in a deck that doesn't really need him. He seems to work best as just an alpha strike clear a blocker kind of role rather than a build around.

I got absolutely blown out one game by the aphelios taliyah deck. Turns out multiple copies of taliyah just hurl a bunch of rocks at your face.

Oh it's not Jarvan centric he's just a good value piece in what is essentially bannerman elites. I just think the deck is a little too slow and at the same time doesn't have excellent close out.

I just watched Shurima: The Motion Picture, that is fact aggravating. I won though because Atrocity > Emperor's Deck

I didn't really realize it at first but the ladder really smacks you down a ton of rank at the end of the season. I went from like diamond 2 down to gold 2. I'm only back up to plat 2 now. Also this is the list I've been running with. Could probably use some tweaks but for now it's pretty fun and working well.

CMCACBAABYAQIBYNAMAQACI5FUCAGAAFAYFQ4BABAEABUAICAAAQCAYAA4BAIBYQNQBQCAIAA4AQGAANAECAAAQ

edited March 2021
    Wow I got Spectral Maiden Watchered on turn 8 after they used Fading Memories on a Pillar to level Lissandra, this fucking sucks

Coinage on
    I have high odds on Dunekeeper becoming a 1/1 in the not too distant future. It's four damage if unanswered on turn one and you're almost certainly getting a minimum of two damage and trading for their one drop which is kind of crazy. Compared to a Legion Saboteur who does the same thing but only for one damage. The Dunekeeper can block unlike the Rearguard too. I don't even think it would be that bad as a 1/1. You'd still get two ticks for Azir, it would still help Lucian level.

Noxus' aggro options have been power creeped in really funny ways

liEt3nH.png
    Noxus' aggro options have been power creeped in really funny ways

I mean it used to be really high and they made an intentional decision to bring the power level of super aggro down a LOT. PnZ/Nox aggro burn might be one of the overall most tinkered with archetypes and they clearly thought that those decks were too fast. Maybe Shurima is more balanced by being less unavoidable, their strategy to just vomit sand warriors is a pretty hard attrition game to keep up with especially when paired with cataclysms, rallies, scouts, and similar effects. God forbid you get anything that buffs up sand warriors too, since now those disposable 1/1s are trading up aggressively.

I was not expecting to be so tilted by the Shurima combat tricks. All they do is attack with vulnerable, give +3/+1, and lol zhonya's. At least I still haven't lost to the Emperor's Deck yet
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I didn't really realize it at first but the ladder really smacks you down a ton of rank at the end of the season. I went from like diamond 2 down to gold 2. I'm only back up to plat 2 now. Also this is the list I've been running with. Could probably use some tweaks but for now it's pretty fun and working well.

CMCACBAABYAQIBYNAMAQACI5FUCAGAAFAYFQ4BABAEABUAICAAAQCAYAA4BAIBYQNQBQCAIAA4AQGAANAECAAAQ
    I'm surprised you made it to plat 2 with that, it looks insanely clunky. I even played a few games and got bricked so hard by the kadegrin and broodmother, you rely on Egghead for your late game. I switched it to Bannerman with Jarvan instead CMCACBAHBUBAIAAIBYCAGAAFAYFQ4BIBAAAQSGQ5EAAQCAQAAEBACAYAAMAQIAAC

edited March 2021
    I haven't seen the Hourglass very much at all. Here are basically all the decks I've seen so far (and I've played quite a bit since the start of this expansion).

Mono shurima (usually bad).
    Azir/Lucian
    SE/Shurima. Usually Kallista, sometimes Azir, sometimes both.

Less than 5 times:
    Fiora/Shen
    Kindred something
    Shurima/Frel overwhelm.
    PnZ/Nox

Maybe this is anecdotal but I don't remember the new faction totally taking everything over in the first week the other two times. I will say this expansion is vastly better than the Targon one which was eh, but Rising Tides is probably still the goat.

ChaosHat on