As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021

Come on Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Jugdral.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Come one Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Jugdral.

I'm hoping for Path of Radiance. I very badly want a remake of Path of Radiance

But, y'know, I'll settle for Fire Emblem Warriors 2.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Come one Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Jugdral.

I'm hoping for Path of Radiance. I very badly want a remake of Path of Radiance

But, y'know, I'll settle for Fire Emblem Warriors 2.

As long as they fix the issue of having so many people be straight copies of each other. The really unique people were fun, I loved how they handled translating Lyn's 2d animations into 3d. I think I could settle for them maybe making levels by class, so all the pegasus knights just had a single level or something? Treat them all as skins, basically, instead of leveling and gearing them all individually.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    If they’re going to remake a FE game, make it 6&7 into one long story. Not getting the Roy stuff, even though it was a older game, sort of sucked.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    If they’re going to remake a FE game, make it 6&7 into one long story. Not getting the Roy stuff, even though it was a older game, sort of sucked.

The issue of 7 being before 6 is all these powerhouse Lords not being in 6 and having to do things to keep them out of it.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

The issue of 7 being before 6 is all these powerhouse Lords not being in 6 and having to do things to keep them out of it.

I figured you could make story elements at the end of 6 where the game time skips by 20 years and Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, etc could have retired or got war wounds so that they don't fight anymore. The returning heroes in 7 could just still be around and fighting. As long as there are no super children, then I'd be happy.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Polaritie wrote: »

I figured you could make story elements at the end of 6 where the game time skips by 20 years and Eliwood, Hector, Lyn, etc could have retired or got war wounds so that they don't fight anymore. The returning heroes in 7 could just still be around and fighting. As long as there are no super children, then I'd be happy.

7 is the prequel to 6, iirc. But it's just a disappointing inevitability when you do that and release a prequel game - you're constrained by the previous work. And sometimes that means you're playing a game knowing how awful things will be for characters in the future (though I'm thinking of a different game specifically here, having never played 6 for obvious reasons... or beaten 7, actually. I'm bad at FEs where I can't level grind at all)

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Given how much of a reputation it has, you have to think a remake of Genealogy is going to show up in someone's lifetime here.

Though that should be interesting. If you already even know about Genealogy's existence, then you probably already know the reason why it has a reputation. So one wonders how much the game and story can stand on its own once you already know what's a'coming.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Playing through Three Houses again and I get that they wanted a "you have to play each side to get the full story" deal but if I'm being honest a lot of storylines just end up feeling more incomplete than anything.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It'd be nice if the first part of the game wasn't so much of a Blue Lionfest, at least for the other two houses.

jothki wrote: »
    It'd be nice if the first part of the game wasn't so much of a Blue Lionfest, at least for the other two houses.

Only two out of the twelve White Clouds chapters deal with characters related to Blue Lions characters, which admittedly is two more than the Golden Deer get, but not so much more that I'd describe Part 1 as a "Blue Lionfest".

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Yeah. I would say most chapters are usually
    related to the Flame Emperor or that underground group.

Hell it was a big reason I decided to go Blue Lion for my second playthrough. They're pretty non-existent during the Golden Deer path and I wanted to see what their deal was.

Dragkonias on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular

Only two out of the twelve White Clouds chapters deal with characters related to Blue Lions characters, which admittedly is two more than the Golden Deer get, but not so much more that I'd describe Part 1 as a "Blue Lionfest".

And sort of two more than the Black Eagles get.

edited March 2021

And sort of two more than the Black Eagles get.

Well, I mean...
    Both Throne of Knowledge, where the Imperial army attacks the Holy Tomb, and Outset of a Power Struggle, where the Imperial army attacks the monastery, do have some connection to a prominent Black Eagle character.

WotanAnubis on
    edited March 2021
    Using the Ashen Wolves in my second playthrough and I noticed they have very "Awakening" style personalities.

Like every character's personality is usually based around a gimmick but theirs are a bit more...anime.

It's very subtle but also very interesting to observe.

Dragkonias on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Using the Ashen Wolves in my second playthrough and I noticed they have very "Awakening" style personalities.

Like every character's personality is usually based around a gimmick but theirs are a bit more...anime.

It's very subtle but also very interesting to observe.

https://youtu.be/EMVjPDqrkyg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    I forgot how much I liked how the silent, emotionless protagonist trope actually serves a purpose in the story.

So one thing I wonder as far as Crimson Flower route goes.
    Does it actually contend with any of the messed up stuff Edelgard had a hand in as the Flame Emperor or is it just a the ends justify the means kind of deal?

Cause not gonna lie and not looking forward to siding with Rhea or her.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So one thing I wonder as far as Crimson Flower route goes.
    Does it actually contend with any of the messed up stuff Edelgard had a hand in as the Flame Emperor or is it just a the ends justify the means kind of deal?

Cause not gonna lie and not looking forward to siding with Rhea or her.

Haven't played CF since the game came out, but...
    IIRC it's made pretty clear that she's basically just a useful hostage by the Slithers. If she doesn't do what they say, she'll just get killed and replaced like they did to her uncle. There's a point where Byleth and Edelgard specifically pull a backstab-kinda move against the Slithers and in retaliation they blow up... I think it's Arianrhod? Some major city.

Edelgard is my favorite of the three lords, FWIW. If CW were more fleshed out and managed to reach the same length of the other stories, it would be my favorite by far.

Yeah. I kind of get Edelgard's deal so I don't have a problem with the character but that quest line does sound underdeveloped.

*Playing Golden Deer first playthrough*

"You know Dimitri barely played a part in this path so I think I'll play Blue Lion next to figure out his deal."

*Playing Blue Lion*
    Oh I see he's insane.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I just started this. It is my first Fire Emblem / tactics game ever. It kinda feels overwhelming, the amount of bars and skills to keep track of. I'm on Normal / Casual, Blue Lions. Will I do OK if I don't pay that much attention to the stat management stuff?

Also it feels like my entire team is lance users, I should diversify that, right? :P

Oh brilliant
    I just started this. It is my first Fire Emblem / tactics game ever. It kinda feels overwhelming, the amount of bars and skills to keep track of. I'm on Normal / Casual, Blue Lions. Will I do OK if I don't pay that much attention to the stat management stuff?

Also it feels like my entire team is lance users, I should diversify that, right? :P

Yeah, you should be mostly fine. If you just follow character's preferences, you should be OK.

On Normal/Casual, you can probably make anybody into anything and they'll be viable enough to get you through the game. And if things get overwhelming you can level grind, so no reason to be concerned. My main suggestion is to look at the Advanced Classes, find the requirements needed to test for them, and compare those to your students and their strengths. Someone's got skill in lances and a hidden talent in horse riding? Sounds like they'll make a capital Paladin! You can afford to throw a few training sessions into other skills, though, and it's not a bad idea to have some weapon flexibility on a few of your characters.

Heavy on lance is fine. Dedue on axes, Byleth and Felix on sword is plenty of diversity. You'll pick up secondary weapons going for advanced classes in most cases anyways.

Authority is generally the only skill that is universally good to have(with a few exceptions of course)

But even then that's only if you want some of the higher ranked battalions.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular

Yeah, you should be mostly fine. If you just follow character's preferences, you should be OK.

Some stuff can be finicky for class changes. If you want Sylvain and Ingrid to go Cavalier, for example, you should probably work on their Riding from pretty early on.

In general I'd shift anyone you plan on being a magic user to Reason/Faith, and even if they're your healer take them through Mage instead of Priest. Brigand also has an extremely good Mastery Ability, so characters like Dedue and Ashe might want to go through it instead of Knight/Brawler and Archer (even if you have them never actually use an Axe).

But the game is pretty forgiving, so you don't need to sweat about that stuff if you don't want to.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Also, Three Houses doesn't have the traditional "weapon triangle" mechanic on Normal. Your Lance-users will eventually get a passive ability that makes them stronger when they fight Sword-users, but they won't intrinsically suffer while fighting against Axe-users. So it's totally fine to field a forest of lances if you feel so inclined.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Lonato was frustrating. Burned through all my Divine Pulses trying to get 'im. He knocked out most of my class!

Oh brilliant
    edited April 2021
    Lonato was frustrating. Burned through all my Divine Pulses trying to get 'im. He knocked out most of my class!

Always remember to advance with your high Defence units in front (probably Dimitri and Dedue) and everybody else behind. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to give all your non-magical units ranged weapons (Bows, Javelins, Hand Axes) - the second-safest attack is when an enemy can't counterattack.

The safest attack is when you kill 'em in one hit, but failing that, plinking at them from range so someone else can close in for the kill is also good.

WotanAnubis on
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Genealogy of the Holy War is getting added to Japan's Switch Online service. Puts a bit of a damper on my hopes for a remake (and subsequent localization).

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Just picked up FE3H, and am going to start my first playthrough. Debating between normal/hard difficulty - going to do classic mode though, with the rewind function available.

This is my first FE; is it a mistake to jump in at hard?

If I do decide to play on normal, can I bump it up for NG+, or is that file forever on normal?

Senna1 wrote: »
    Just picked up FE3H, and am going to start my first playthrough. Debating between normal/hard difficulty - going to do classic mode though, with the rewind function available.

This is my first FE; is it a mistake to jump in at hard?

If I do decide to play on normal, can I bump it up for NG+, or is that file forever on normal?

Hard/Classic might be frustrating even with rewinds if its your first Fire Emblem, less so if you have experience with the genre?

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    As someone experienced in FE, I found Hard to be quite a challenge... for the first handful of chapters. After a certain point, while things were not easy, I never really worried about losing a character.

I'd say start on Hard, and if you can navigate the beginning you don't have to worry about the difficulty getting to be too much in the late game. If you find yourself overwhelmed then restart on Normal.

You can also set your difficulty to whatever you want in NG+. You're not bound to the first difficulty level you choose.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Thanks! I think that helps. Might start on hard and drop to normal if I need to, especially if I can turn it back up for NG+.

Of course, it also would have helped if I didn't forget to pack my Switch, won't be starting until next weekend anyway.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Aye I actually completed a Vidya game. I put 3H down probably like a year ago around ch15 of CF route. A friend started playing who is a fire emblem min maxer and despite being frustrated with some of his obsessions, him talking about it a lot got me to pick back up and finish off the game. It was cool but by the point I was at I felt very overpowered.

So I rolled into Ng+ gonna try out hard/casual to see if that might be more interesting to me than bumrushing the final boss and ignoring the left side of the map or savescumming every move. My only worry is on hard I might actually need to focus on abilities and masteries more so I should learn what they are and oh my god this is how my friend got this way!

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Min/max stats: ❌
    Min/max relationships: ✅

Enigmedic wrote: »
    Min/max stats: ❌
    Min/max relationships: ✅

I confess I actually did this in one run. I tried to match up people to make sure everyone had a happy relationship with a compatible person based on the supports and epilogues. Also tried to minimize general creepiness (so no pairing Manuela with any of the students, for example). It was a fun alternative challenge since with NG+ it really wasn't difficult to turn everyone into death machines.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i somehow only had 2 couples pair off at the end, but good news one of them ruined my attempt to save
    Lysithea. god damn it lindhart you were supposed to save her! not live a sleepy life with bernadetta and only doing anything because they literally reopened a school where you were hiding out

This discussion has been closed.