As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Legend of Keepers, Insurmountable and Clan O'Conall out today!

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited April 2021 in Social Entropy++
Foregone is a fast and fluid 2D action-platformer packed with legendary loot and stunning pixel art. Collect an arsenal of powerful weapons and unravel a compelling story of regret and conspiracy as you slice your way through hordes of enemies to save Calagan.
20210301 Foregone (Action, Side Scroller, Metroidvania, 2D)

Maquette is a first-person recursive puzzle game that takes you into a world where every building, plant, and object are simultaneously tiny and staggeringly huge
20210302 Maquette (adventure, puzzle, mystery, narrative, exploration)

In this fast paced twin-stick roguelite platformer, you play as an unnamed child ascending an ominous clocktower in pursuit of their lost memories. Harvest and sacrifice souls to grow your power in order to challenge procedural encounter rooms and intimidating bosses!
20210303 Revita EA (Action Roguelike, Dungeon Crawler)

Bang-On Balls: Chronicles is an oddball of a 3D platforming game with collect-a-thon spin! Become a reckless hero as you do missions, collect items and search for secrets rolling through various (inaccurate) historical events!
20210303 Bang On Balls (Action, Adventure3D, Platformer)

Scrapnaut is a top-down, base building survival game with steampunk elements. Explore an open world with different biomes, take care of oxygen, manage your farms, generate electricity, build your home and much more!
20210303 scrapnaut (Adventure, Adventure, Building, Exploration, Sandbox)

Sir Lovelot is on a quest to find the love of his life. Join him in this wacky tight platformer, where impressing cheeky damsels is harder than a heart of stone!
20210303 Sir Loveot (Precision Platformer, Platformer, Difficult)

Manage your airfield, create spare parts, send your pilots out on missions. Face your enemy and resist... UNTIL THE LAST PLANE.
20210304 until the last plane (Management, Strategy, World War II, Wargame)

The Lich has thrown the world into a timeless loop and plunged its inhabitants into never ending chaos. Wield an expanding deck of mystical cards to place enemies, buildings, and terrain along each unique expedition loop for the brave hero.
20210304 Loop Hero (RPG, strategy, adventure, card game)

An UNCONVENTIONAL ADVENTURE RPG that takes place in an inexpressible world filled with amusing musical battles and strange delightful encounters. To put it simply: You are in for a ride.
20210304 everhood (Great Soundtrack, Music, Story Rich, 2D, RPG, Undertale)

A narrative-driven RPG set in a gritty world where a person's Lot is determined at birth, while the gods are real and preside over the fates of men. Set out on a lifelong journey and carve out your own destiny. Will you become a judge, an inquisitor, or conspire against the old order? You decide!
20210304 The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante (narrative, simulation, adventure, story, RPG)

20210305 Dungeon No Dungeon
20210312 Pascal's Wager
20210312 Crash Bandicoot 4
20210318 Minute of Islands
20210326 Spacebase Startopia
20210326 Kaze and the Wild Masks
20210326 Magic: Legends
20210327 Sizeable
20210330 Evil Genius 2
20210331 Binding of Isaac dlc
20210331 Narita Boy

Brolo on

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    more like marsh gaming

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Brolo, Herald of Release Dates, Messenger of Games has returned, rejoice!

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

even the total collapse of its original dev team under an abusive asshole followed by a takeover by the publisher of the mobile port can stop skullgirls, apparently

first character from the first season pass just dropped

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    also the former devs (minus mike Z) are the ones working on this new season of content! congrats to everyone but mike z!

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Finished up the second chapter in Life and Suffering of Sir Brante, and I'm really positive on it. Think I'll write up some more about it after work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    TEXT:
    Early Access on March 5th, 2021!

A turn-based cult strategy game: Unpredictable expeditions that never end!

Thank you for your continuous support, and look forward to seeing you at last!Partying face

A turn-based cult strategy game: Unpredictable expeditions that never end!

In this version, you'll find:
    i. 2 full adventure chapters (8 in the final version);[/list]
    ii. 11 adventurers (15-20 in the final version);
    iii. 600+ passive and active skills (1,000+ in the final version);
    iv. Standard and Endless modes in the Arena (with the option for online/offline play in the final version);
    v. Around 300 in-game items (1,000+ in the final version);
    vi. Around 100 random events leading to approx. 400 different outcomes (with an additional 80% more offered in the final version);
    vii. 5 in-game mini-puzzles (at least 8 in the final version).

20210305 Dungeon No Dungeon EA (Strategy, Roguelite, Dark)

Brolo on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm extremely interested in Evil Genius 2. I had a fun time with Two-Point Hospital, and this looks like it's even more up my alley.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options

Most of our team adores HoMM, so today we’d like to tell you about a highly promising game, currently in development -
    @songsofconquest
    ! It’s a strategy with RPG elements and amazing pixel art, inspired by the legendary series.

Go check it out!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Rolo, stop making so many video games.

There are too many video games now!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Rolo, stop making so many video games.

There are too many video games now!

i no rite he is the worst

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/rockstar-owner-argues-players-are-ready-for-70-games/
    The CEO of Take-Two has reiterated his view that the decision to charge $69.99 for the next-gen versions of NBA 2K21 was the correct one, because the public was “ready” for a price increase.

Speaking during the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference this week (transcribed by VGC), Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick was asked for his views on the reaction to NBA 2K21’s price point and what it means for game prices in the future.

“We announced a $70 price point for NBA 2K21, our view was that we’re offering an array of extraordinary experiences, lots of replayability, and the last time there was a frontline price increase in the US was 2005, 2006, so we think consumers were ready for it,” Zelnick replied.
    haha, fuck him

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    2K games have a large laziness + fomo tax on them though. You can get -20% on launch, -40% after 2 months and -90% after 6 months. It was 4.99 somewhere last month.

The problem is that you're buying access to a skinner box with ever increasing grind. I guess it makes them money, but the 2K basketball games have been declining in fun factor since 2014.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Aren't the NBA 2XXX games like, notorious for having very little between them from year to year? Like on one platform it was literally the same game two years in a row with some dates changed?

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    That's basically every annual sports franchise.

Sure there might be some minor mechanics or mode changes, but the main thing you're buying is an updated roster list.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »

Sure there might be some minor mechanics or mode changes, but the main thing you're buying is an updated roster list.

Oh no I distinctly remember hearing the release one year on one console had no roster update.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »

Oh no I distinctly remember hearing the release one year on one console had no roster update.

that was due to the real world NBA League being on strike

https://kotaku.com/rookies-wont-appear-in-nba-2k12-until-the-lockout-is-ov-5838278

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Video games?

More like, get rid o yo games

Veldrin on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    One the one hand games prices (for AAA or their 80s equivalent) have been stable or down over time. On the other, if they went up to adjust for inflation or whatever I doubt the actual devs and orrher worker bees would see any of that. And coming from the maker of repetitive sports franchise full of loot boxes...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    One the one hand games prices (for AAA or their 80s equivalent) have been stable or down over time. On the other, if they went up to adjust for inflation or whatever I doubt the actual devs and orrher worker bees would see any of that. And coming from the maker of repetitive sports franchise full of loot boxes...

they've been stable but the amount of paid dlc. microtransactions, collector's editions and season passes is fricking loopy nowdays

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    They're making more money than ever before with all the microtransactions, DLC, and Season Pass nonsense. Games don't need a price increase

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    you can only adjust an entertainment product for inflation so much while wages are not also adjusting for inflation

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante is pretty wild. At six years old I kicked my grandfather because he threw away my toys (he is a noble and therefore an asshole, you are a commoner because of the inheritance rules)
    He beat me to death, but I got better
    ldkiy5a0ld0x.jpg

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    RPS: Star Dynasties sure looks like Crusader Kings in space
    me: noooo

early access on 16 March (missed opportunity, imo); full release hopefully later this year
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXqTn--bpnw

Tamin on
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante is pretty wild. At six years old I kicked my grandfather because he threw away my toys (he is a noble and therefore an asshole, you are a commoner because of the inheritance rules)
    He beat me to death, but I got better
    ldkiy5a0ld0x.jpg

That whole section was a ride.
    So one of the things I really like about this game is that they give you a guide on things that can happen in a chapter, and every choice gives you info on how it affects your stats.

So at that point, I see my choices, including the one for kicking him leading to the "Experience death at a young age" storylet.

And I think, well fuck this old man, and my dude becoming a hellspawn that knocks grandpa into the fireplace sounds like a bad-ass backstory so let's go with it.

So I was actually stunned to see him then beat me to death, get an interlude with the gods and wake up in a crypt.

And now I'm thinking, I'm some chosen avatar of the gods, and gonna get some sick revenge and shock the world with the miracle of my rebirth, only to have the game pull the rug out on me a second time when my parents come in tell me this a totally normal thing and hope I learned my lesson!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hertz, don't it? ⚡

Spark fear in the hearts of your enemies with the Charged Conquistador Wattson skin, available in the Chaos Theory Collection Event starting March 9.
    Oh boy do they just not have any people to look at these things and say, "wow, maybe don't have a skin made based on and named after genocidal murderers?"

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Is there just some rule that any game with a skins-based economy has to make some deeply boneheaded shit?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    My Catholic high school had their sports teams named Conquistadors. I'm not sure if it's better or worse that they rarely won

• Options
    The cop skins a lot of games have will hopefully be considered really awkward at best soon

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    You use a Morrion helmet it has to be either an emblem of colonial conquest or proverbially tilting at windmills and everyone always goes with the bad one.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Talespirin'

so... my original plan was to get a bunch of work done this week, and not actually touch talespire at all

XaoLkaXh.jpg
    Nqn4D4B.jpg
    67IWvKd.jpg
    XZsH3Z4.jpg
    MfRAV32.jpg

but uh, my hand slipped, and I accidentally created a modular design system for housing interiors, with like a basement and interconnected sewer system. oops!

anyway might as well make a run-down docks / harbor area with them

UpH6VUmh.jpeg
    kze4Sl8.jpeg
    VPMMBLM.jpeg
    cix5Z0j.jpeg
    nCWJjpj.jpeg
    Z4R4JQA.jpeg
    Even before the city declined, the docks of Briarfell were overrun with smugglers, pirates and thieves. Today only the very foolish or very brave would wander through its laneways and alleys alone.

and then I wanted try out some more vertical building, so I used some of the boulders/cliffs and some the desert tileset to make this alchemy lab/island ruins thing

6QHJbfsh.jpeg
    2giwPQt.jpg
    iDnj0wn.jpg
    rqwhVCy.jpg
    sbaaI8Q.jpg
    8AyAsgs.jpg
    ScTm8d6.jpg
    Esraat8.jpg
    Pf9A1LN.jpg
    UaVEp4y.jpg
    After a series of out-of-control experiments destroyed their Imperial facility, the Kinao Society rebuilt the ruins of Sinod, installing a new laboratory fortress to continue their research.
    High-ranking magistrates in the Empire have expressed relief that the alchemists and their creations are now far, far away from the mainland.

Brolo on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4pRCMqSNis
    Alchemic Cutie is a wholesome relaxing RPG set on colorful Wimba Island. While taming wild jellies, you’ll meet villagers, enter jelly competitions and uncover the secrets of the island.

another cute farm-em-up, with an emphasis on slime taming/breeding
    coming sometime in 2021

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    looks pretty goo

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Sunless Sea: The Adventures of Captain Whiddingshins, Zee Captain of Limited Renown

The zee called to me, as it does any urchin what's grown too tall. Me and a longshanks managed to get our grubby hands on a slightly-used, yet zeeworthy vessel which I've taken to calling Furious Lack of Courage, though the crew mostly calls her the Lackin. We obeyed the call of salt and water and put out for parts dark, my secret orders from the Admiralty to sail east from Fallen London and bring back news of any miserable spit of rock what warrants a name.

Four days at zee and we encounter a monstrous crab, and my longshanks gunner makes short work of it. Just in time too, as I've woefully misjudged the amount of supplies and fuel necessary for a voyage. The crew feasts upon crab flesh, and I try not to think about why the thing glowed to begin with, or why it stops glowing as it's cooked. Fortunately I find an island willing to part with food and fuel. I listen to some rumors and learn a secret.

Day seven brings us an encounter with another crab, which damages the Lackin enough that I decide to head back to the shadowy towers of home. While eating ships' biscuit I chance upon an odd diamond, a precious find even if it cost me some of a tooth. The crew convinces me to toss it into the zee to appease Stone. Seems a waste, but who am I do draw the ire of the gods? Afterward, during a quiet moment on deck, I almost feel as if something has thought of me in the merest way possible. I take no comfort from this.

Day nine and I can see the hint of the lights of London on the horizon. We stop at an odd island with naught but a single house built upon its crown. Under the inescapable gloom I make my way near the well-lit windows and overhear part of a conversation between three sisters. They stop abruptly, perhaps noticing my presence. I decide that there's no chance they haven't noticed the Lackin's arrival, so I present myself in my best captain outfit. The sisters are an odd mixture of ambivalent and enthusiastic to see me. I take a luncheon with the eldest, and learn a secret. I say my goodbyes and get the ship ready to make the final voyage home.

The crew is glad to see the lights of Fallen Londen, the ends of her jetties outstretched as if a lover awaiting their beloved. We put in, I report my stupendous lack of interesting knowledge to the Admiralty, earning me the meagerest morsel of approval, and some much-needed echoes. Time yet to set the carpenters at their labor to repair the hull of my ship, allow the crew to recover from the long dark, and perhaps attend to my affairs at my apartment.

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    You know how sometimes you want to play something, but don't have the brainspace to play an actual good game, so you go for the most fast food of comfort garbage, no matter how bad for you it is?

Right now, Rune II is a very good chain burger.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    You know how sometimes you want to play something, but don't have the brainspace to play an actual good game, so you go for the most fast food of comfort garbage, no matter how bad for you it is?

Right now, Rune II is a very good chain burger.

yeah that's borderlands 3 for me

like it's not actually nutritious or good for you in any way

but man you don't have to put any thought into ordering a big mac and stuffing it in your face

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Most of our team adores HoMM, so today we’d like to tell you about a highly promising game, currently in development -
    @songsofconquest
    ! It’s a strategy with RPG elements and amazing pixel art, inspired by the legendary series.

Go check it out!

Oh, heroes of might and magic 3 was a game I played a decent amount of back in the day

I'll have to keep an eye on this

• Options
    edited March 2021
    The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante In Times of the Fall of the Blessed Arknian Empire

So this game is very much a choose-your-own-adventure, in the style of the games from Choice of Games. If you've played one of those, you've got a pretty good reference for the type of game this is. Most of you are probably most familiar with their big hit from last year, Vampire the Masquerade: Night Road, so I feel I have to warn that sadly, nothing I've seen so far has really hit the high notes of Night Road in regards to writing or reactivity to player choice.

So, with the warning that it doesn't quite compete with the best Choice of Games has to offer out of the way, what do I actually like about the game? Just about everything else!

First, it's got art! And sound! Like I've said, I love the stuff from CoG, but they are just so drab. A page of text, no matter how well it's written, does not make for the most engaging of gameplay. The Darkest Dungeon inspired characters look great and the music sets the mood well, but it's the smaller things that really sell it for me. The sight and sound of the pages turning, or the bookmarks all around the screen to flip you to the different menus. It ironically feels a lot more like reading a book than CoG games do. They pride themselves on being text only, but end up feeling more like reading something straight from a word processor.

Oh, and the musical stings it plays at the end of a storylet remind me of Obra Dinn!

Another aspect I'm liking, is the transparency in the choices. Every choice in the game, it tells you what locked or unlocked the choice for you, and exactly how it will immediately effect your stats. My biggest complaint in Night Road, was that while it told me what stats each choice was based on, it never gave me any indication of my chances of success, which led to a lot of blindly picking whichever one I had the most stat points in. Here, every choice lets you weigh what is most important to you, either narratively or mechanically. Is it worth losing a relationship point with your brother to increase your mental stats? Is improving your family's reputation worth using up energy stats now? And even better, at the start of each chapter, the game gives you a list of possible story events and what you need to trigger them. Now, with a goal in mind, you can go back and answer those questions better. I want those mental stats to trigger a prophetic vision. I'll need the energy stats to learn to sword fight. They also give you a pretty clear indicator of how much time you have left in a chapter, so you can plan what you want to do more effectively. In Night Road, I'd be saving up money, but had no real frame of reference to know when to spend it. I'll finally give in and buy something at the shop, only to kick myself two pages later when I can't afford something much more interesting. This feels a lot more like collaborative storytelling, where the game tells me what is possible, and I can decide which options I want to pursue.

And if all that sounds bad and you'd prefer some mystery and surprises, good news! It's all optional and can be turned on and off at will!

The story so far hasn't blown me away, but it's interesting enough and open enough that I could see it going a lot of different ways. It's set in a vaguely 1800's~ish fantasy empire, with a religiously enforced class system that looks like it's about to face civil war both from new religious movements challenging old scriptures, and class struggle from commoners trying to wrest power from the nobility. Your family reminds me a lot of Dragon Age 2, where you came from power, but are now on the outs after your father married a commoner. Your parents and siblings have all got different outlooks on the world and there's lots of possibility for where there stories could go.

It also looks like each chapter is adding more complexity and stats to balance. It starts off with just a mental and a physical stat, and your relations with your immediate family. It then starts adding more people. More personal stats. Your family's stats. Your city's stats.

I'll be checking out the full game, and hopefully it lives up to the first two chapters.

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I've been playing some Battletech and while i still kinda figuring out exactly how damage works and why sometimes the ac/10 one shots these tanks and othertimes just barely scratches them, i am having a great time

Definitely feels very "adapted tabletop game" in a really good and interesting way.

It helps that i really like stompy mechs (well, some of these designs kinda suck, but i can still appreciate them as designs that suck)

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Although the convoy missions, especially the convoy escort missions, are terrible

This discussion has been closed.