As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I just want to turn off the lynx kill animations

Those poor kitties :(

Fuck those kitties they come after me they get gutted I got violins I want to string!

Catgut is from sheep, you monster

And I spent ten minutes hacking my way through a farm to pick up enough livestock parts for the hunter

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    If you want to avoid kill animations i found that finishing them off with a heavy attack usually skips it and results in you ragdolling them away instead. If the enemy is a stronger type with more health you still get it, but if your power level is high enough most mooks get ragdolled.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think I may have spoiled myself by doing all the animus fragments

I don’t know what it means but it’s definitely a spoiler

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Now do the Seer hut to get the other half

it's still not fully explained (even literally at the end of the game where it matters the most) but it does fill some stuff in

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Yeah I still have a lot of that to do

I’m going to need a guide to find all the crystal doohickeys

The scale of that place is intimidating

I think I have 3 areas left to go in England. I’ve been clearing wealth, mysteries, and artifacts as I go, but I went exploring a long time ago and did the hardest (in my opinion) animus fragment (Isle of Wigt) somewhere around number 4 or 5 of 10 so the rest seemed super easy after that one.

knitdan on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    FWIW the crystal things reward is just a couple of skillpoints, also one or two of them are only accessible after story progression there, yet show up on the map. It's a bit frustrating to go looking for a cave that doesn't exist yet...

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Hmm maybe I will skip that

I am probably not going to 100% anyway because I don’t feel like finishing out the hunting lists or the the buggy fishing stuff

When the best strategy for fishing is to ignore the designed minigame and just swim around below the surface mashing the attack button, the devs done fucked up.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That's how I'd prefer to fish in real life, too

Maybe one day video game protagonists will discover the fishing net

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That's how I'd prefer to fish in real life, too

Maybe one day video game protagonists will discover the fishing net

I loved in one of the monster hunters there is a fishing minigame that's literally launching a big fishing net at schools of fish.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Me during the Asgard stuff: Ok who the fuck is this Havi person, I have a passing familiarity with Norse mythology and I never heard of them

Also me: Ok seriously where the hell is Odin

Finally I google the name Havi and the answer is so glaringly obvious I can’t believe I never put it together

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Game crashed on me several times on the PS5. I think it's just buggy.
    knitdan wrote: »
    Sciropshire
    I knew as soon as i met the motherfucker that I was going to have to kill Ivarr at some point.

I denied him Valhalla. And told Ubbe the truth, or at least as much as he cared to know.

Man, Ceolbert though. He was pretty decent for a Saxon. It’s ok kid, I got that bastard for you in the end.
    Going back to the game recently, on the XBSX, in a probably futile attempt at reaching some definition of 'finished' (I bought the season pass at some point because I'm dumb and had some 'free' MS fun-bucks...)

And guess what happens, during this particular boss-fight?:
    Fucking Ivarr, right in the middle of the fight, fuckin' sits the fuck down in a cross-legged pose, and freezes in place, and I can no longer do any damage to him with any weapons.
    The game then proceeds to crash completely about 20 seconds later, having apparently given up on trying to solve for health = X = NaN.

I only realized what Ubisoft were trying to do there after a restart (thank goodness for recent autosaves) - It's a fake-out attempt by crazy Ivarr 'McSculpty-Your-Lungs' the terrible. I must have hit him too hard with an ability the first time round, since on the second attempt, I was more careful, and his short bit of dialogue triggered correctly instead of soft-locking or initiating a hard crash.

RIP Ceolbert. I will rename my BattleWolf 'Bert' in your honour. So long, and thanks for all the Eels, buddy. :(

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Hello, Assassin’s Creed thread! It is I, Lucas, here to participate in the talkening of this video game.

I bought the game at launch, PS4 Gold Edition with season pass, and started it. But I only got like 2 hours into it before I was fed up with glitches. In those two hours, I experienced the gamut of bugs. Crashes, freezes, animations breaking, audio bugs, not being able to draw my bow, and probably a few more. So I set the game down in disgust.

Got myself a PS5 at the end of December and set about tackling a few PS5 games: Spider-Man, Demon’s Souls, and Immortal Fenix Rising. Also in that time period the WoW expansion came out and I played a bunch of that.

Finally, we get to Valheim in this story. Just like everybody else, I snagged Valheim for $20 bucks and set about that glorious Viking lifestyle. And while playing Valheim a bunch, a thought occurred to me: “hey! I should collect my free ACV upgrade on PS5 and take that for a spin.”

So that’s exactly what I did. 35+ hours of gameplay later and I’m loving the shit out of this game. It is really scratching that itch like almost nothing but AC can. I’m loving absolutely everything about it. The story, the town building, the combat, the longboat river raids, flyting, orteg, and just everything in general.

At 35 hours I’m still pretty early in the story in England because I’ve just allowed myself to be distracted by the blowing of the wind and follow where adventure leads.

I even find myself caring about the meta-plot in the real world, which is a series first for me.

Anyway. That’s my story. Playing on PS5 and loving it. The End.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Finished Origins, or the main game at least. I'm level 36 and when I check the DLC it says 45 to start - also, it offers to level me up to 45 at the main screen. Normally I wouldn't, but I've been giving it a lot of side eye just because I don't have 200 hours to finish this thing like Odyssey. It doesn't seem like it will take as long, but I might just say fuck it and take it up on the offer.

They should have left the wife as the primary, she's positively murderous. Bayek feels like a supporting character when you put them together.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I remember reading a list that Ubisoft published - before the release of PS5 - detailing which PS4 games would be compatible with PS5. The list struck me as odd, because it was the entire mainline AC series, with the exception of Syndicate.

Did they ever make Syndicate PS5 compatible after the fact? And why was that game originally off their list? That's one of the best AC games and I would have thought they would want to make sure that one was compatible.

I think maybe also the 3 sidescrolling stealth-platforming games were not on the original compatibility list... same question as above. Were they ever retroactively made to be PS5 compatible?

And I guess in a more broad sense, what exactly does that mean? When they said Syndicate would not be PS5 compatible, does that mean the game will not work at all and just flat out is not even playable? Or does it mean playable but with possible glitches? Or playable, but not at maximum PS5 output? Or I guess there are several different interpretations for what they even meant when they published that list.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I remember reading a list that Ubisoft published - before the release of PS5 - detailing which PS4 games would be compatible with PS5. The list struck me as odd, because it was the entire mainline AC series, with the exception of Syndicate.

Did they ever make Syndicate PS5 compatible after the fact? And why was that game originally off their list? That's one of the best AC games and I would have thought they would want to make sure that one was compatible.

I think maybe also the 3 sidescrolling stealth-platforming games were not on the original compatibility list... same question as above. Were they ever retroactively made to be PS5 compatible?

And I guess in a more broad sense, what exactly does that mean? When they said Syndicate would not be PS5 compatible, does that mean the game will not work at all and just flat out is not even playable? Or does it mean playable but with possible glitches? Or playable, but not at maximum PS5 output? Or I guess there are several different interpretations for what they even meant when they published that list.

syndicate kind of works. shadows are buggy https://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-syndicate-sort-of-works-on-ps5-if-you-1845649834

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Anyone else picked up the 'Wrath of The Druids' DLC/expansion for Valhalla? Eurogamer has their review up here.

So far it seems like a lot more of the same. Shenanigans involving Eivor's cousin and his wayward son.

I haven't even beaten the main game yet, having just hit power level 200 at ~90+ hours. You do get this sweet BattleCat mount though:
    ykgttvdcj3ws.jpg

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    I still have an England area to clear yet, which I think (endgame spoilers)
    it was a mistake for them to do all the late game Norway stuff before you “finish” England. Because the Norway stuff feels more like it should have been the actual end of the game. You finish it and you go back to England and you’re like “wait didn’t I already clear this area?”

• Options
    I have it installed, but not launched it yet. Looking forward to seeing Ireland though and prepared to be disappointed that it's not constantly raining :P

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    I finished England and Breaking the Order

AC endings always feel incredibly anticlimactic and almost pointless.

I wonder if that’s caused in part by the fact that nothing you do ultimately matters, you’re basically just Gumping your way through historical events that are so much bigger than you.

Also, (Order Grand Master spoiler)
    I totally called Alfred being the Grand Master but not that he was working to destroy them from the inside because he never wanted the job in the first place

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Nothing in the Series will top Asscreed 2.
    the fight with the Pope as the final boss, in the secret basement of the Vatican, was the Magnum Opus of part 2.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Nothing in the Series will top Asscreed 2.
    the fight with the Pope as the final boss, in the secret basement of the Vatican, was the Magnum Opus of part 2.
    if ever a pope deserved getting a medieval ass-whooping, it was Rodrigo Borgia

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Just got through the base game. I think the ending is fine but that's only because:
    The true ending is confronting Aelfred in the marsh village, which I saw because I had eliminated the Order. Ubisoft really dropped the ball in not making it clear that was necessary and part of the main storyline. I can see alot of people treating that as a sidequest and missing out

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Ubisoft Montreal and Quebec merging working on a new title live service title called Assassin's Creed Infinity, will reportedly have multiple settings.

It makes a certain amount of sense. You're a modern person with an Animus, you select various Assassins throughout time to play as, new ones get added with content updates....it could work.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    GaaS? Pass.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm done with GAAS. I'm too cynical, too jaded, too old and crotchety for this shit. Do not care. Not one little bit.

We don't have any game details yet, but I can already tell you that there will be less gameplay per dollar than the series currently provides, and I can also go ahead and tell you right now that the microtransactions and pay model are gonna be greedy as fuck.

No thank you.

I'm just about done with the Triple A games industry. I'd rather pay $20 and support an indie with a good idea.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I just can't see why AC needs to be a GaaS. I'm not feet-in-the-sand against GaaS but I just don't see the point here. AC games are already huge, sprawling affairs that keep my attention (in fits) over very long periods of time.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Well, Assassin's Creed is dead. Shame, it was one of my favorite series in games.

The games had already gotten too big. They needed to focus them again, make them smaller, with better maps that aren't boring as hell to get around and better missions, and bring back bespoke assassinations again.

This is the exact fucking opposite.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    GaaS? Pass.

I hate bloat.

Especially as the result of being GaaSsy.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I just can't see why AC needs to be a GaaS. I'm not feet-in-the-sand against GaaS but I just don't see the point here. AC games are already huge, sprawling affairs that keep my attention (in fits) over very long periods of time.

Money. Not just in micro-transactions but also since they have an 'on-going' game, they can slow down releases or stop them entirely. I'm sure the pitch is, do you want to keep making a $50-100 million dollar game every 1-2 years, or spend that once, with yearly maintenance and content that is bound to be a fraction of that cost but a greater profit.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Well, Assassin's Creed is dead. Shame, it was one of my favorite series in games.

The games had already gotten too big. They needed to focus them again, make them smaller, with better maps that aren't boring as hell to get around and better missions, and bring back bespoke assassinations again.

We'll see. Anthem failed hard enough EA pulled the plug. So far I can't find any information on Fallout 76, but with the new DLC, we might get an idea of how profitable it is. Just like the dozens of WoW clones that came out in it's wake, many of these GaaS games may not last long.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

We'll see. Anthem failed hard enough EA pulled the plug. So far I can't find any information on Fallout 76, but with the new DLC, we might get an idea of how profitable it is. Just like the dozens of WoW clones that came out in it's wake, many of these GaaS games may not last long.

Fallout 76 is chugging along. I wouldn't call it a mega hit, but it's not Anthem either. It has a very dedicated following and for all it's jank it offers a relatively unique play style in the GaaS space. I've had a couple whirls with it and it's not the trash fire people think it is (especially with the latest updates).

I would say it's solidly in the "It's probably making Bethesda money, but frankly it should've just been a single player game" camp of GaaS games.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

I don't know if the rumors/leaks were true, but last I heard, the rumor was that Ubisoft is done with the current game engine. The engine that has been used for Origin/Odyssey/Valhalla is being retired, as it is a last-gen engine. And again, if there's any credibility to the rumors/leaks, the new game engine they are building, which will be entirely for the PS5/Series X generation, will be more of an 3D Action/Platformer and they are modeling the stealth and mobility off of games such as Uncharted, Last of Us, and the modern Tomb Raider games.

That sounds like a nice change of pace to me, if true. I love AC Valhalla and think it's an amazing game, but there's no denying that there's a ton of bloat, and their RPG mechanics have kinda spiraled out of control. If they are going to rein it in and model it after the way the climbing, platforming, and mobility works in Last of Us, that could be a really interesting and fun direction for the game.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Fallout 76 is chugging along. I wouldn't call it a mega hit, but it's not Anthem either. It has a very dedicated following and for all it's jank it offers a relatively unique play style in the GaaS space. I've had a couple whirls with it and it's not the trash fire people think it is (especially with the latest updates).

I would say it's solidly in the "It's probably making Bethesda money, but frankly it should've just been a single player game" camp of GaaS games.

I'd imagine most big publishers would be happy with that. Low on-going fees and yearly revenue looks good on their books.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Really making it easy for me to stick to having given up on the series because of its story, Ubisoft. Now in addition to you protecting abusers you also are going to change the games to a terrible business model. Good job.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Really making it easy for me to stick to having given up on the series because of its story, Ubisoft. Now in addition to you protecting abusers you also are going to change the games to a terrible business model. Good job.

Not just protecting the abusers. Two of the named abusers (Marc-Alexis Côté, Executive Director and Jonathan Dumont, Creative Lead) have been given promotions and are now in charge of this new GaaS Assassin's Creed.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Not just protecting the abusers. Two of the named abusers (Marc-Alexis Côté, Executive Director and Jonathan Dumont, Creative Lead) have been given promotions and are now in charge of this new GaaS Assassin's Creed.

Thanks Yves!

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Maybe I'm old, but I really like games to have a definitive end-point in sight, like seeing the credits roll, even if I don't get there.

And to think, back in 2011, when Skyrim came out, I still thought that no single-player game could ever be simply too vast, or too long for me. But Valhalla has completely broken me on that particular notion. It just keeps going!
    I'm not interested in AC:Infinite at all if it's a never-ending GaaS treadmill of content. Completely saps my motivation. :confused:

Speaking of the issue of toxicity at Ubi:

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-report-states-its-at-a-high-risk-of-losing-tale-1847264101

Umm, here's a really, wild, crazy idea... What if Ubi actually did something about it then... Nah. That's crazy talk! /s :rotate:

Zilla360 on
  • Options

Just yikes. Yuck. :(

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Got the Triple pack of, well what would you call the latest iteration of AC to differentiate from the previous titles with the focus on that one weird looking guy, and I am blown away by how good ACV looks on PS5. ACO looks good too (haven't tried Origin) but the performance of the last two is pretty impressive (though ACO is locked to 30FPS and I'm shocked they haven't pushed out a patch for that; actually no I'm not - they are waiting on a "Definitive Edition" for ACO and ACO I'm sure). Everything is just so clean, even on the performance mode (quality is even more visually stunning but the 30FPS takes a bit getting used to; too bad the game requires a restart of the entire game to swap modes).

I don't mind AC going GaaS if the story and world are good. Self-contained stories that break out over the life of your character can provide the needed narrative heft, and being able to work towards different Assassin's (and Templars, that would be fantastic) that play differently than one another is a good grind goal. I can definitely sympathize with the folks who worry about not getting a meaty story again but I'm willing to give such a game a shot. I'm honestly surprised they haven't tried this first with FAR CRY first; perhaps it would start hewing too close to Ghost Recon's open ended nature. Honestly, they've got a ton of IP's that would fit a GaaS far better, but I'm interested to see what they do with AC.

That said, INFINITY is a dumb name. I don't know the "Cradle of Adam" or "Fruit of Eden" lore behind AC but there has got to be a better name there for something like this. AC: Eden or something like that. ACI sounds like some insurance company.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    In case anyone was wondering what happened to the Black Flag spinoff Skull and Bones
    https://kotaku.com/first-it-was-an-assassins-creed-expansion-now-its-ubis-1847326742

Local H Jay on