As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    vuv3193b42xg.png

facebook is telling me it's officially been a year since i was last at a football match

@HerrCron

I think it was about this time when my aul fella was predicting that Rovers were for the drop and they wouldn't be back up "in his lifetime".

Granted, he'd say that even if they'd turned around and won the league, so no change there.

sig.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    There are wild rumours flying about today that the Euros might be held exclusively in the UK.

Which would be pretty fuckin ironic considering.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    There are wild rumours flying about today that the Euros might be held exclusively in the UK.

Where's a "lol wut" reaction when I need it?

Pellaeon wrote: »

Where's a "lol wut" reaction when I need it?

I mean if everywhere else is months behind on their vaccination schedules it's not a terrible idea. Flag Twitter will be unbearable. I mean, more so than usual.

Certainly makes more sense than the original plan given the circumstances in the world

Honestly had forgotten they were still trying to go forward. But if we're sending english and german teams to hungary to play CL matches I suppose this represents progress.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

considering the options are realistically the UK or Israel, it seems like a good choice

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Anybody got a backyard to host a game? Asking for a...friend.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Notts County twitter. It ain't wrong.
    "Buckle in for one of the most RIDICULOUS goals you'll ever see! 🤯"

euj90n71sojo.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular

considering the options are realistically the UK or Israel, it seems like a good choice

Currently I he go to for European games is Bukarest. Because that's so safe...

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So after having announced an expansion team, then covid putting a halt on fucking everything, stuff had been dragging out and folks were getting antsy and no one knew what was going on, and now Burkle is saying "yeah, actually no", pulling out, Sacramento no longer has a billionaire backer, and the expansion is basically rescinded. Covid is being blamed, but it's looking more like Burkle didn't actually want to pay to build the stadium (after his other investments had taken a hit thanks to covid, seemingly), and in perhaps the most psyduck revelation of the whole thing, some of the paperwork had never actually been signed, so yes, all this shit can happen.

I'm....not as broken up about this as I thought I might be, because I don't think I ever let myself believe it was actually going to happen.

So I guess we get to continue being the most under-served metro area in the country for major league sports.

Christian Pulisic 'likes' post on Instagram calling for shooting of Antifa members
    NRAmar strikes again

now that's how you celebrate an 88th minute derby winner

Liverpool suck right now.

Don't know what else to say

Klopp's time in Dortmund at the end had a period where they fell to 17th place. They did recover a bit though.

Inmore fun news, Bilbao has the unique chance two win the Copa del Rey twice next month. Both for 2021 and 2020.

is Melwood built on an ancient indian burial ground or what

is Melwood built on an ancient indian burial ground or what

Now that you mention it, they stopped training at the old Melwood training grounds in November 2020 when they moved to their new AXA facility. Hrmmm

868oi9tc3b7o.jpg

it would probably be a net positive if someone took executive control of my bank accounts

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Man. Dazzle camo.

I'd think putting camo designed to make it hard to gague the range, speed, and heading of something on a football jersey would be a bad idea....
    but I also really like that jersey.

sig.gif
    Ah yes, another tweak to the hand ball rule next season after the tottenham/fulham match.

Surely it will be clearly and consistently applied now.

Surely

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

Trying to decide if this is a better goal than time the keeper tried to clear it out of the box and instead ended up picking it out of the net after managing to fire it straight into Chris Wood's enormous melon.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Adam Lallana still has more wins in Anfield than Liverpool in 2021

Adam Lallana still has more wins in Anfield than Liverpool in 2021

Time to move remaining home matches to a winning venue like *checks notes* budapest?

We’ve got them next and I am praying they’re still shit.

Away, so they might get one goal.

2 from the wolves will almost certainly get the job done

Pellaeon wrote: »

Away, so they might get one goal.

2 from the wolves will almost certainly get the job done

Oh great because we've been scoring so freely lately.

not bad for a PE teacher

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    This was some quality scootenfroody on the weekend.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLPIEH7AzJ0

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

This Gareth Bale fellow seems to know know his way around a football pitch.

sig.gif
    Erling Haaland went on area VAR rollercoaster ride tonight.

Scores.
    Ref decides to have a look because he might have committed a foul while doing so.
    VAR shows someone pulling on him a minute before the goal in the penalty area.
    Decision: no goal, but a penalty.
    Haaland tries, keeper deflects, Haaland tries again on the rebound, keeper deflects, another try, keep saves...
    VAR!
    Keeper left the line too early.
    Haaland gets to try again and scores.

i just do not understand what is and isn't a handball these days

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i just do not understand what is and isn't a handball these days

i get the impression nobody does

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    It's like a catch in American football, all this effort to define and clarify and re-clarify and re-re-clarify, and in the end the ref just does whatever he feels like on the day.

imo the ref made the wrong call on the Kessie goal and the wrong call on the handball in the buildup to Milan's equaliser

i have no idea what the actual rules are but that's how i feel which is obviously more important

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i dunno i also think it's stupid you can be offside if your hand is offside so maybe the whole thing needs a rethink

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i dunno i also think it's stupid you can be offside if your hand is offside so maybe the whole thing needs a rethink

Yes. But what if that offside player uses that hand to score a goal. Then where will we be?

i just dunno what a good, consistent way to do offside is

you can't do it by the feet cus that's impossible to judge in a non-var setting

you can't do it by "any part of the body that can play the ball" with because you end up with those weird situations where players pointing have them offside because of their shoulders

also my biggest problem is that we don't have cameras nearly good enough for us to determine when the ball has actually left someone's foot so you end up with screenshots like this where the ball looks like a 3d effect from an 80s movie

there are just so many issues

I would just want them to call offside quicker rather than allow play to continue.

just have an offside line like in hockey

probably will result in 40 goal games but won't that be fun?

This discussion has been closed.