As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

๐Ÿ–ฅ๏ธ๐ŸŽฎ - Legend of Keepers, Insurmountable and Clan O'Conall out today!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I've been playing some Battletech and while i still kinda figuring out exactly how damage works and why sometimes the ac/10 one shots these tanks and othertimes just barely scratches them, i am having a great time
    Most targets in battletech are broken up into several different targetable areas, and each has its own health pool, most of those health pools being different sizes. On tanks, destroying any section destroys the tank, so some of those sections might be low enough health to be oneshot by an AC10 and others might not be.
    Though, different models of tanks also have different health values, so you might also just sometimes be shooting less beefy tanks.

• Options
    @Iolo etc etc

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Always stomp tanks

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    NBA 2K has also become one of the gold standards in pushing microtransactions in a game you already paid for

The majority of the game modes are absolutely hostile to players who haven't bought a bunch of virtual currency

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Hades!
    I'm really enjoying it, and I just beat Hades for my first time! I think it was like my 20th attempt at escaping and third attempt at killing Hades

22815tg77yge.png

I was surprised I beat it as I was considering it a throwaway run because I wasn't happy with the boons, but I am on cloud nine from clearing him

Psykoma on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: ยป
    I've been playing some Battletech and while i still kinda figuring out exactly how damage works and why sometimes the ac/10 one shots these tanks and othertimes just barely scratches them, i am having a great time
    Most targets in battletech are broken up into several different targetable areas, and each has its own health pool, most of those health pools being different sizes. On tanks, destroying any section destroys the tank, so some of those sections might be low enough health to be oneshot by an AC10 and others might not be.
    Though, different models of tanks also have different health values, so you might also just sometimes be shooting less beefy tanks.

I wanna say some of the tanks have just enough structure health that with some weapons on some parts of their armor it's possible to destroy the armor without killing them. But just barely.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular

I wanna say some of the tanks have just enough structure health that with some weapons on some parts of their armor it's possible to destroy the armor without killing them. But just barely.

You also need to keep in mind that sometimes you're facing enemies of varying maintenance levels, which is reflected in how much armor their mechs/vehicles have. You can go from enemies that only start at 25% armor all the way to the standard full armor.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krรคhe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Huh, Startopia 2 comes out when exactly? I haven't heard much hype about it which is... concerning

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

@Lalabox, cB557 summoned me presumably to say (a) Yay BATTLETECH! Glad to hear you are having fun with it. The "adapted tabletop game" feel, as you say, is 100% what they were going for and I love it dearly. They videogamed the basic boardgame just the right amount, imo.

Also (b) the game does a very poor job of telling you things you need to know at all or at a point where you can understand and incorporate the knowledge. I put together a (wordy) companion to the first few scripted missions and first few hours in your dropship running your mercenary company. It's linked from my sig or here for part 1 and part 2. Also happy to answer any questions you have, as are the cheerful denizens of the BATTLETECH thread (which is about both the turn-based, mech squad game you are playing and PGI's first-person mech piloting game.)

Yay BATTLETECH!
    Always stomp tanks
    jxBOKr3.jpg

<3

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Wait. There is going to be a Startopia 2?!? Should I figure out how to recreate my one and only massively popular mod that gives the station crew Starfleet uniforms?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Wait. There is going to be a Startopia 2?!? Should I figure out how to recreate my one and only massively popular mod that gives the station crew Starfleet uniforms?

Well, it's a spiritual sequel. So your mod will need to put them in Babylon 5 uniforms.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    hmmm yes I should get back to playing Hades

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I've never heard of that Vulpine game, but I checked out their steam page and you upgrade your gear at the barksmith
    Barksmith.gif?t=1609405335

Ya this might be a good game.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I ordered a new mouse because the double clicking was getting worse and it makes games like Loop Hero really frustrating.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Damn it, I should not be allowed to start 4x games at 10:30 at night. Like, an extra warning dialog that comes up when you click "Start New" that says "Are you sure? It is already dark outside. Starting now might result in the loss of sleep".

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Always stomp tanks

i've been trying to do this, but i've been gravitating to some of the slower, stompier mechs, and sometimes they cannot go fast enough

also one time i was running up to deal with a tank that was in sensor range, and then i started to get close and it turned out it was a tank w two ac/20s on it, so i just ran the hell away and tried to shoot it from far away

i think that's gonna be the scariest goddam enemy in the game

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    They can't aim for shit, like three out of your four pilots who tough it out won't end up a meaty paste at all.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I've had times where stomping tanks didn't kill the tank

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    It's not the AC tanks you need to watch out for. It's the SRM tanks.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Brolo when is that tailspire game out, because if it's not soon there's a chance I just abduct you and your computer

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: ยป
    There's also those big tanks, I think Manticores or something? Those dudes are nearly a mech.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: ยป
    NBA 2K has also become one of the gold standards in pushing microtransactions in a game you already paid for

The majority of the game modes are absolutely hostile to players who haven't bought a bunch of virtual currency

I just wait til the previous edition is on sale for like $5 then only play single player franchise mode.

• Options
    i have mounted the LRM20++ and the LRM15+ on a trebuchet, and it is rather good. Although with only 2 ammo attachments, i did run out of ammo in my first engagement

not quite as good as my ac/10++ and ac/10+ jaegermech, or my 4 SRM6 kintaro, but a lot of fun

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm up to like 275 hours in warframe at this point

I should probably start catching up on the story quests and stuff rather than farming easy missions for gear ranks very slowly. It's just that's a really easy podcast listening environment.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Fuck SRM tanks. Like, a lot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    i have mounted the LRM20++ and the LRM15+ on a trebuchet, and it is rather good. Although with only 2 ammo attachments, i did run out of ammo in my first engagement

not quite as good as my ac/10++ and ac/10+ jaegermech, or my 4 SRM6 kintaro, but a lot of fun

on a trebuchet you should have enough room for 2 LRM 20s and 4-6 tons of ammo no problem

it doesn't need armor or jumpjets or really any other weapons tbh

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021

Fuck SRM tanks. Like, a lot.

I learned about them prior to my first encounter, but I like to imagine what it would be like to run your mech up to one without being quite close enough to melee attack it unaware of what was about to happen.

on a trebuchet you should have enough room for 2 LRM 20s and 4-6 tons of ammo no problem

it doesn't need armor or jumpjets or really any other weapons tbh

I put jump jets on all my mechs as a playstyle choice, but my LRM boat definitely always had essentially zero armor with every ton dedicated to more missiles.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Oh!

My brother gifted me Loop Hero out of the blue.

Maybe I'll have time to play it at the end of the month.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

I really enjoyed the, Banshee I believe, that I put on a huge amount of smgs and flame throwers, so the Banshee would run in and punch the enemy robot and just unload on the enemy. I think, on base numbers, I did more damage than any other mech I built with that one.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Loop Hero is so very, very good. Also it took me way too many runs to realize it is absolutely not worth trying to fight bosses until you've leveled up your town some. You just...will not win.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the town upgrades matter significantly but you can for sure kill the lich with no upgrades if you get a good run

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

I really enjoyed the, Banshee I believe, that I put on a huge amount of smgs and flame throwers, so the Banshee would run in and punch the enemy robot and just unload on the enemy. I think, on base numbers, I did more damage than any other mech I built with that one.

im looking forward to getting some of those more close combat mechs

closest i've got is my kintaro, and that's just because it can run pretty fast and is just stock full of short range missiles

also i found a second lrm20, so the trebuchet gets to fire 40 missiles a turn, which means with 3 ammo things, it gets to fire 9 times

i still put a little bit of armour on it, just because enemies have a bit of a habit of deciding to ignore all the other mechs in front of the trebuchet and just unload on it

i'm just looking forward to eventually getting some of the other LRM mechs. I'm just slowly buying stuff and scavenging.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    the town upgrades matter significantly but you can for sure kill the lich with no upgrades if you get a good run

I think I've just had some really bad RNG overall. Had my first Act 2 run get to loop 4 without me finding a single weapon besides the starter sword from the Blacksmith. That was very annoying.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021

I should probably start catching up on the story quests and stuff rather than farming easy missions for gear ranks very slowly. It's just that's a really easy podcast listening environment.

If you're playing on PC, hit me up! I'm more than willing to help out with quests or even farming for resources, gear, and xp and stuff.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: ยป

If you're playing on PC, hit me up! I'm more than willing to help out with quests or even farming for resources, great, and xp and stuff.

Yeah I am. I thought about at-ing you actually since I see you online a good bit.

I'm at almost to mastery 10. have been trying to grind to 13 to use this riven mod I've got that's really really good.

But I'm only just to Pluto and sedna on the star map without clearing all of it. Mostly because some mission types are really boring (spy) or basically impossible to solo (intercept).

Clearing the star map would be really cool to get out of the way.

Then I guess doing the quests I have left. I don't even know if my active one is the next main story one.

I've never quite made it to real endgame stuff. I'm a little curious about what that's like.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Darmak wrote: ยป

If you're playing on PC, hit me up! I'm more than willing to help out with quests or even farming for resources, great, and xp and stuff.

Yeah I am. I thought about at-ing you actually since I see you online a good bit.

I'm at almost to mastery 10. have been trying to grind to 13 to use this riven mod I've got that's really really good.

But I'm only just to Pluto and sedna on the star map without clearing all of it. Mostly because some mission types are really boring (spy) or basically impossible to solo (intercept).

Clearing the star map would be really cool to get out of the way.

Then I guess doing the quests I have left. I don't even know if my active one is the next main story one.

I've never quite made it to real endgame stuff. I'm a little curious about what that's like.

We'll just message me in-game, on Steam, or @ me on here and we can group up! I'm pretty casual but I've played long enough to have most of the toys in the game and am familiar with just about all of the content enough to help clear the star chart and get you started on finishing up those quests. The quests with the real meat of the story get pretty fuckin neat imo and I'm always excited for people to complete them

edit: I should note I tend to play in the evenings, though on days off I can sometimes be found off and on throughout the day. But if I don't respond then I'm afk and I'll message you back when I can!

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I got a Bioshock Infinite question:

How do I get back the Vigors that got swappped out of my inventory? Am I really limited to two weapons and two Vigors at any one time?

This discussion has been closed.