As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Here comes the Smolder

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    On a side note, a Enemy Cho'gath with 400+ armor when you're trying to play a more traditional marksman is misery.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Just first-timed a champ and predictably played just awful, didn't feed but had like a 5% kill participation, just totally inconsequential all game, and snapped a five-game losing streak. Good feeling!

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i really feel like i have forgotten how to trade entirely.

doesn't matter who i play or what role, i feel like i lose every trade by over 2x the hp difference. it's nuts, i'm not sure what happened.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    What in the absolute fuck.

So I'm playing Jinx, and actually having a pretty good game? Got a couple of items, feeling decently powerful...

There's a point where I'm pushing bot lane while the rest of my team and the enemy team do the stupid ARAM dance in mid. I kill the bot inner turret, still have a massive minion wave so I could roll into the inhib and take it easily. Can see the entire enemy team on the mini map.

And then they start fighting in mid. Both teams get some kills, although I think we lose more in the process. But the enemy team's clearly low and won't be able to contest me.

Someone on my team doesn't realize how good of a position we're *really* in, and says "can we ff already?" A second later the "team has agreed to a surrender 4-1" vote comes through.

Normal drafts are the worst.

persona4celestia.jpg
    sounds like normals, won't ff when it's 3 to 30 in kills and 7 towers to zero, but a random group of 4 will just ff because it's 19 to 20 or something.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Just first-timed a champ and predictably played just awful, didn't feed but had like a 5% kill participation, just totally inconsequential all game, and snapped a five-game losing streak. Good feeling!

Sometimes that's all you need to do! Recognizing when your game obligation is 'just chill and let the fed [whatever]laner carry' is an important skill.

I just played a solid ranked game where my jungle Poppy was great, top Cho'gath was enormous in every way, mid Qiyana was fed

I was playing Kai'sa (with Morgana support) bot into Ezreal and Seraphine, and we were up in cs, up in pressure, but 0/0/0 on either side pretty much

I pushed wave into the turret constantly, and because the Poppy was (by her own obnoxious admission) "not a gold player", she actually took advantage of our botlane pressure to 1. get every dragon and 2. constantly invade enemy fiddlesticks botside jungle (since we could collapse but enemy bot would have lost waves and HP if they collapsed).

But other than 'create pressure' and 'farm in case some day I am actually needed', I...didn't have to do anything? Like I let my team win skirmishes and just pushed lanes and took towers and showed up to objectives or big fights. I could have been the big adc we required, but we totally didn't, so I could mostly play the map instead.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I pushed wave into the turret constantly, and because the Poppy was (by her own obnoxious admission) "not a gold player", she actually took advantage of our botlane pressure to 1. get every dragon and 2. constantly invade enemy fiddlesticks botside jungle (since we could collapse but enemy bot would have lost waves and HP if they collapsed).

Is...Poppy jungle actually good? Why are people playing it?

Investigating, it seems that yes, yes she is. Chemtank or Divine Sunderer with red tree (DH or Electrocute both have high win rates). Her Q slow is ridiculous, actually. Win rates across various sites have her above 50%; she is probably in the top 5 junglers right now. Hm.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    Ivellius wrote: »

Is...Poppy jungle actually good? Why are people playing it?

Investigating, it seems that yes, yes she is. Chemtank or Divine Sunderer with red tree (DH or Electrocute both have high win rates). Her Q slow is ridiculous, actually. Win rates across various sites have her above 50%; she is probably in the top 5 junglers right now. Hm.

It was great into fiddlesticks too cause he ults and she's like nah, get away from my team. She did dark harvest+divine sunderer, force of nature, dead man's plate, phage (then game ended).

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Wish I could venmo my solo laners to cover jungle entrances to watch for level 1 invades, feels like every game they just hang out under tower and then someone wanders into a brush and instantly dies.

edited March 2021
    qfq85gndro22.png
    quick guess which one is me and guess which one got relentlessly flamed the entire game by jungle and top.

our shen Red into a 3v2 we had clearly won, onto our full health midlaner, did nothing, and then rightfully called gg because yone took the entire tower and 5 plates top lane because the wave was slammed into the tower when he Red, and then flamed me because "imagine helping bot lane".

like, literally we destroyed the fight before he finished Ring in and it's my fault. left lane 6/0/1, then just instantly died to the 10 kill yone over and over even when he misses all his skills because shieldbow is a fun and exciting item for melee champions.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    Some fun games tonight, Goredrinker Shen mid into Ekko who went 0/9, first pick Jax who gets hard countered by Volibear, who gets to walk to my blue buff at level 3 and solo me in full vision while none of my laners react, a top laner who confidently says "don't ban malphite" in pregame chat, picks it into Sett, and goes 0/5 with 30 cs and a lost turret by 10 minutes. I think in my past ten games, I have had perhaps four solo laners who did not get absolutely caved in before I managed to finish one clear.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Qualified for my Gold promo's.

Statistically I should clear them first try (Jungle's at a climbing 56% win rate and my core picks Range from like 62% to 83%). So guess I have getting salty when that maths stops panning out tommorow.

Also on the early conversation of 'Yi is just a matter of drafting more CC' here's an Example

Early on Top and Mid were just, relentlessly dedicated to feeding Yi even when tracking him was obvious as hell (I arrived to most ganks two seconds late because the laners played agro) and bot lane was losing.

We hit third drake at like, 23 minutes and that just... doesn't matter? Yi has 12 kills and almost all of his team's gold lead on his head and he literally can't interact with our team comp. Neither can Camille or Fizz unless they get an ambush.

So drake, baron, two inhibs, drake, baron, game and ten minutes later master Yi has gotten a grand total of like, two more kills in spite of having enough money to kill god.

• MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    Decided to start playing through Virkayu's list of champs to play to learn different aspects of Jungling, so I took a break from Udyr to start learning Vi. In my second game, I ended up jetting through the wall behind the enemy jungler trying to take a dragon on their own. They ran off leaving the dragon with 31 health, so I got to smite it before the jungler realized and turned around to try finishing, then bot came up and ganked the jungler. Maybe not play of the game but that felt pretty great.

GamerTag: aintnodancer
    Honestly it amazes me how many people will commit to an objective but then have zero actual commitment when it's contested.

Like, you're fucked and your cheeky 5 minute drake or whatever got spotted out. You're dead anyway so just commit to the smite off.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    HOLD FORMATION

DONT SMITE UNTIL U SEE THE WHITES OF THEIR EYES

obF2Wuw.png
    Honestly it amazes me how many people will commit to an objective but then have zero actual commitment when it's contested.

Like, you're fucked and your cheeky 5 minute drake or whatever got spotted out. You're dead anyway so just commit to the smite off.

No let’s wiggle around in dragon pit and neither hit dragon nor fight and then flash away with dragon at 1200 hp and ignite ticking down and then die

Then let’s questionmark ping everyone else on the map!

No let’s wiggle around in dragon pit and neither hit dragon nor fight and then flash away with dragon at 1200 hp and ignite ticking down and then die

wait you're telling me flash doesn't cleanse ignite? i refuse to believe this.

i started playing gnar last night because i got him in aram a couple times and had so much fun and was way too tilted about how my bot lane games had been going, only to then find out he's op and getting nerfed. very sad.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    On a League-related note, the Wild Rift open beta opens up in the Americas on March 29'th.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited March 2021

God people question mark pinging stuff I'm obviously not doing or not coming to and which I warned them away from grinds my gears.

Like you can hate me for not having the same game plan whatever, just don't act indignant that *I did what I said I was gonna do*.

Also series immediately took my 5 win streak into a 3 loss streak lmao.

Albino Bunny on
    tho if i had a dollar for every time a jungler pinged an objective, i set my lane up to do it, walked up, and then they decide to go fuck off and do something else while the on the way line is still on the map and i end up getting ganked i'd not have to buy rp for a while.

gnar got a base aspd nerf which is a huge bummer. i guess i'll keep trying to learn him but those are always the absolute worst, they feel like total shit.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Been playing some nunu and he's a lot of fun, drifting through the jungle is incredibly funny and gratifying, but my winrate with him is terrible. He feels completely dependent on his laners and that is not what you want to be at this elo.

• Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Been playing some nunu and he's a lot of fun, drifting through the jungle is incredibly funny and gratifying, but my winrate with him is terrible. He feels completely dependent on his laners and that is not what you want to be at this elo.

Every champion, specially any jungle is team dependent.

As Nunu you really have a lot of potential impact on the map and you can often just blow a lane open. The way to win with Nunu is to generally avoid dueling. You can do 2v2 skirmishes but only if your partner is a better skirmisher than you. Instead you want to get lanes ahead and turn this into objectives, even if the jungler is around - you can easily force dragon takes with a smaller advantage . Try to drop herald before 14.

Though its counter intuitive, I feel carry/farm/skirmish junglers like Graves are even more team dependent than ganking junglers like Nunu. In order to invade you need laner support, which means you need self suficient laners that can look at the minimap and play around prio to get ahead. To play a ganking jungler it often sufices for the laner to have enough neurons to follow up your ganks. Its an easy way to get the team ahead in low-mid elo, because laners will easily fall to ganks over and over. If you have a handful of succesful ganks its very likely you will send them into a psychological meltdown which becomes a problem for the enemy team too.

I think this is the way to go in soloqueue. If you find a proactive midlaner who can enable you and do coordinated plays you can play other things for sure.

Or just build him full AP LoL. His ratios are ridiculous

Pereza0 on
    edited March 2021
    Pereza0 wrote: »

Every champion, specially any jungle is team dependent.

As Nunu you really have a lot of potential impact on the map and you can often just blow a lane open. The way to win with Nunu is to generally avoid dueling. You can do 2v2 skirmishes but only if your partner is a better skirmisher than you. Instead you want to get lanes ahead and turn this into objectives, even if the jungler is around - you can easily force dragon takes with a smaller advantage . Try to drop herald before 14.

Though its counter intuitive, I feel carry/farm/skirmish junglers like Graves are even more team dependent than ganking junglers like Nunu. In order to invade you need laner support, which means you need self suficient laners that can look at the minimap and play around prio to get ahead. To play a ganking jungler it often sufices for the laner to have enough neurons to follow up your ganks. Its an easy way to get the team ahead in low-mid elo, because laners will easily fall to ganks over and over. If you have a handful of succesful ganks its very likely you will send them into a psychological meltdown which becomes a problem for the enemy team too.

I think this is the way to go in soloqueue. If you find a proactive midlaner who can enable you and do coordinated plays you can play other things for sure.

Or just build him full AP LoL. His ratios are ridiculous

It’s true that unless you’re a challenger smurf or something, you’re gonna be dependent on your team no matter what. It’s just a question of degree. With Nunu, I can Ggnk my lanes and get them ahead, but if the laners who I get ahead are simply worse players than their counterparts, that lead will eventually vanish, or they’ll misplay objectives and team fights and negate whatever advantage we have. I think at this elo, you have to play selfish carry champions and just allocate as many resources to yourself as possible to minimize the effects of the matchmaking system.

I should give full AP Nunu some run, though. Barreling out of the jungle with nuclear snowballs sounds incredible. My only worry would be in the midgame or lategame, if you misjudge your team's follow-up on your engage by milliseconds, you just explode for nothing.

pyromaniac221 on
    space groove might be the most exciting new skin thematic they've had in a while. i was so so on it but seeing how far they went with the nasus recall in that riot pls video, i'm incredibly interested to see the rest of the line. looks legit amazing

aeNqQM9.jpg
    It is so wild that you can't remake if a player on your team doesn't technically fail to connect, but afk's for the first five minutes of a game for whatever reason. Just enable the remake function if a player doesn't touch their buttons!

there is nothing i find more funny and deeply pathetic when people who are in the same game as you flame your rank.

like buddy, a. it's a video game a rank flaming is like, who cares in the first place but b. we're in the same game. our elos are clearly similar. it cracks me up when people think "lol gold hardstuck" is some sort of insult.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    there is nothing i find more funny and deeply pathetic when people who are in the same game as you flame your rank.

like buddy, a. it's a video game a rank flaming is like, who cares in the first place but b. we're in the same game. our elos are clearly similar. it cracks me up when people think "lol gold hardstuck" is some sort of insult.

lol i have an account on an unnamed game i basically only play drunk and when i get flamed by people for say walking off the map it takes great self-control not to comment that they are nonetheless in my game

obF2Wuw.png
    edited March 2021
    Knight_ wrote: »
    space groove might be the most exciting new skin thematic they've had in a while. i was so so on it but seeing how far they went with the nasus recall in that riot pls video, i'm incredibly interested to see the rest of the line. looks legit amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsPU8Z80yI

Yuuuuup.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Those maniacs did it, they made Disco Nunu.

edited March 2021
    space groove is maybe the best skin line they've ever done oh my god

i fuckin' love it, the music theme, the vfx, the character designs, god it's just great. the only one that doesn't blow me away is rumble, but i really love all the other ones.

edit: as more and more info has gotten out i rarely continue to like everything more without other things disappointing me, but that's the case here. blitz' vo is amazing, i love the flat shading on lux's skills, they did a great job at hiding the base nasus voice over which i was worried because usually their filter usage is really bad, for example project/demon skins. they really just clobbered this one out of the park.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    Oof, ended up finishing up my ranked placements for the season the other day. Ended up going like 3-7 and stuck into Bronze II. Feels like no matter what I end up doing, it ended up being the wrong choice and I can’t get anything going in team fights. Or I get put into match-ups like having to play against Kai’sa/Swain support and I just want to hate my life since whenever you have the audacity to actually try to CS they just do a billion damage and kill you.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited March 2021
    because i guess riot can't ever have someone like everything, they revered the animations on space groove lux from the sg walk cycle and the ba r animation to just default lux.

i'm real fuckin' bummed about it, the skin is much worse now and it went from one of my favorites and a sure purchase to probably not. i already have dark cosmic and base lux animations are truly horrible. they already put the animations in, it's a shame to take them out just because of some weird self imposed limitations.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited March 2021
    https://youtu.be/SvhrSPiEIyA

Holy crap, I think I found the Peak Bronze Yasuo Player. This was in solo queue ranked, too.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Didn’t think we’d hand out the 2021 play stupid games win stupid prizes award so soon but uh, there it is

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    So, you are saying it's good time to jump back into my bronze ranked games again?

AhiMahi on
    i started playing poppy jg because i have been desperately trying to find a role i liked besides bot just as a change of pace, and i got autofilled once and gave it a try randomly after failing hard at poppy top even though i really like her kit.

it's actually incredibly fun and i am having a blast. first time i've ever really had fun playing jungle.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    soooo my friends duped me into playing some SR because they were all ready to go but then their ADC had to cancel.

I never topped my team in CS and got myself killed by using Cait's E the wrong way three separate times, but all in all it went surprisingly not horrible for my first time playing SR in literally like six years! I only had one game where I went like, SUPER negative and we went 3-2 overall. Admittedly with a diamond skill player on a smurf, but still!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Kinda feels like mid and support (on occasion) are the only roles that matter on the current patch.

edited March 2021
    I remember hearing a idea where bot marksmen basically has to early-game support the support since they have a bit more agency to set up plays and kills while you farm and get going on your items for later on. That includes managing the wave properly so that they can do whatever their character's kit wants to. Caster supports will want you to push a bit harder so that the minions aren't in the way for their abilities and they can get their harass in. Melee wants you to play back a bit towards your *own* tower so that they actually have the space to go in and set stuff up.

Also Leona is always the correct option and is love and light.

And made it into a promotion to silver.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited March 2021
    https://youtu.be/XEcLTwsiNm0

poppy jg is so fun. nobody expects the rudeness of the wall slam.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg